Who Parked The Moon?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Who Parked The Moon?

Postby Occult Means Hidden » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:07 am

For those interested in designed custom planets and Cydonia-lite speculation, I again recommend Goro Adachi's original and unsung book "Time Rivers".

I've read a theory online that is somewhat Icke-inspired, that states that the moon acts as a generator as it orbits the Earth, continually re-charging a type of artificial etheric barrier around the Earth. This barrier is indirectly related to Jeff's blog post concerning the South Atlantic anomaly and increases in paranormal activity: "When Twilight Dims the Sky Above". Read that post for reference.

Or it could just be a rock.

My intuition is that the Moon is a fairly recent addition to Earth. It's sudden arrival was the monolith that awoke what was humanity some 50,000 years ago.
Rage against the ever vicious downward spiral.
Time to get back to basics. [url=http://zmag.org/zmi/readlabor.htm]Worker Control of Industry![/url]
Occult Means Hidden

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stefano » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:21 am

It is now generally accepted that the Moon originated elsewhere and entered the Earth’s gravitational field at some point in the distant past. [One theory] states the Moon, while wandering through our solar system, was captured and pulled into orbit by Earth’s gravity.
This is the theory I go with. In David Christian's Maps of time he has a bit about the moon and the theory that rang truest to me is that this isn't our first moon, and that the mass extinction events in the Permian and Jurassic were caused by other moons falling into the Earth. Because of how short our lives are we think of the solar system as stable, but it's more of a dust cloud with particles spinning around very fast, and interfering with each other as they collide with or get close to each other. Maybe our Moon will drift away, maybe it'll fall into the Earth, but for the rest of human history it'll act as a fixed planet with predictable orbit. Also - if a planet capturing a moon is such a crazy unlikely thing, how come all but two planets have at least one moon?

William Roy Shelton wrote:it is extremely unlikely that any object would just stumble into the right combination of factors required to stay in orbit.
Yeah this is akin to the creationist's argument that life is extremely unlikely so must have been caused by an intelligent designer... As others have pointed out, the Moon is essential to life as we know it, so this discussion would never have taken place absent the "right combination of factors", including the force of gravity and possibly, on a cultural level, including eclipses that show the corona. I mean if there had not been eclipses, maybe we wouldn't have ended up being the kind of mammal that worries about the inside of another heavenly body.
stefano

Postby brainpanhandler » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:47 am

Joe Hillshoist wrote:
brainpanhandler wrote:The earth is round? You've got to be kidding. Look. Can't you see? It's flat.

I can't go any further without addressing this. Where the fuck on earth, with the possible exception of lake eyre, is it flat? Especially back then?

On man made surfaces which were made why?

To be flat cos nowhere else was!!!!

WTF???

Flat earth my arse. There is absolutely no visual evidence for the earth being flat anywhere. Who the fuck came up with this idea?

Sorry
:backtotopic:

Actually that's not very far off topic at all really.

wikipedia wrote:Around 330 BC, Aristotle provided observational evidence for the spherical Earth, noting that travelers going south see southern constellations rise higher above the horizon. He argued that this was only possible if their horizon was at an angle to northerners' horizon and that the Earth's surface therefore could not be flat. He also noted that the border of the shadow of Earth on the Moon during the partial phase of a lunar eclipse is always circular, no matter how high the Moon is over the horizon. Only a sphere casts a circular shadow in every direction, whereas a circular disk casts an elliptical shadow in all directions apart from directly above and directly below.

The wikipedia article on Flat Earth details the many prescientific cultures that believed the earth was flat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

Later Eratosthenes provided further proof of the Earth's curvature and calculated it's size as demonstrated by our good friend Sagan:

But you're right... one needn't travel much further than 30 miles or so before the curvature of the earth ought to become fairly apparent, depending on the topography.

It would not surprise me to discover the australian aborigines had this figured out long before the greeks. Songlines stretched for hundreds of miles. Did they not? I would think you would just have to be observant and have a little imagination and you would intuit the earth could not be flat. Hard to say. It seems ridiculously obvoius to us, obviously, but I don't know how obvious it should have been to an ancient.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby psynapz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:58 am

MaxtheKnife wrote:Everything I've discovered vis a vis careful measurement is 100% verifiable.

Sure, Max. Geological processes, over time, are going to follow the complex natural laws that govern everything from the shape of galaxies down to the growth of Romanesque broccoli:

If you check out the page that photo came from (http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibnat.html) you'll see how mesmerising geometric proofs arise out of nature everywhere, because everything that moves or grows or dies is governed by beautiful mathematical processes that, to me, negate the ridiculous dichotomy of the ridiculous argument for or against intelligent design. The universe is inherently intelligent in its design, and it designs intelligent things inherently. The fabric of spacetime is woven with math. It's everywhere. Even when you arbitrarily mirror an image of something. Ever get stoned and stare at the skin on the back of your hand really closely? Doesn't prove shit about how your hand got there or why it's shaped that way, but it's goddamned beautiful to look at.

Finding anthropomorphic and mytholomorphic iconography in rotated mirror images of geological features on any planet, using any geometric proof as your mirroring guideline, is going to produce interesting imagery. It's not the fucking answer to the question of life, the universe and goddamn everything dude. Try harder.

Max also wrote:At any rate... I'm glad to see some of you seem to at least be thinking about the things I've been teaching you. :)

As Dennis Leary said about an REM song in No Cure For Cancer...

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... pull that bus over to the side of the pretentiousness turnpike!

Please get a grip. You're talking about serious and important developments in humanity's understanding of our long-historical context and origins and understanding of the history of our local area of the galaxy and stuff. Quit badjacketing all the great research that's come before you with these sebaceous bursts of egomania. I'd start with wiping that self-satisfied grin off your avatar. for one. You might as well replace it with a mirrored image from Cydonia that looks like you, dimpled chin and all. See, this is why they call them avatars. It's representational. Hint: I'm not actually a protesting rabbi. Now Wombaticus Rex here gets a pass because he had about five different online and artistic personas going simultaneously, I think as an understandable paranoia-response, and it wore him out to the point that he re-integrated them publicly, so the buttoned-down office-dweller pose we all see, which I might add is as completely lacking in pretense as his posts or his creative works, is actually an avatar of the most noble form. Yours, idunno. It would be fine if you were just a happy-go-lucky prankster preaching chaos and uncertainty, but juxtaposed against your contributions here and your increasingly-less-poorly-presented works on your own site, it sort of just comes off as pretentious in a southern baptist minster I'm-saved-and-you're-not-ha-ha-ha-praise-Christ-and-pass-the-shotgun kind of way. Y'knowam sayn?
“blunting the idealism of youth is a national security project” - Hugh Manatee Wins
psynapz

Postby psynapz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:12 am

Also, don't take me personally Max. I may be extra surly this morning due to it having been my turn to get up in the middle of the night to feed beetle larvae to my weeun while Mommy got her beauty rest.

Tonight, I work on my chemical tolerance:
Tomorrow perhaps I'll work on my Big Tent tolerance...
“blunting the idealism of youth is a national security project” - Hugh Manatee Wins
psynapz

Postby semper occultus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:56 am

After we die, according to Gurdjieff, the moon consumes the fine matter of human souls. It is like a magnet that draws our souls into it:

"Everything living on the earth, people, animals, plants, is food for the moon. The moon is a huge living being feeding upon all that lives and grows on the earth."

Someday, the earth would evolve into a being like the sun, while the moon would transform into a second earth. Humanity was simply a stage in this process.

Only through an intensive effort of conscious evolution – what he called "self-remembering" – was it possible for an individual to escape being eaten by the moon. "The liberation that comes with the growth of mental powers and faculties is liberation from the moon."

www.breakingopenthehead.com
semper occultus

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:45 pm

Gurdjieff was definitely heavier than anything modern. What a cosmology. I think I managed to make more sense out of Finnegans Wake than I did Beelzebub's Tales. I should definitely re-read it at some point, though...same with FW, I guess.

Also, the rapper Canibus, who is heavily esoteric these days and raps like a rhyming medium channeling the RI board over beats, has used the phrase "Food for the Moon" a great deal -- I actually get asked about it by rap fans. Then again, after Jedi Mind Tricks put Nuwabu and Malachi York on the map, all secret teachings are fair game for punchlines and song titles.

Anyways, I often send 'em here...I know LKJ is contentious here but it's a good rundown: http://glossary.cassiopaea.com/glossary.php?id=2
Wombaticus Rex

Postby justdrew » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:02 pm

and then there's the living legends...

Kennedy's full quote: "we choose to go to the mooon. Bang. Zoom. Straight to the Moon."

The moon is associated as a land of or destination for the dead in several mythologies.

tonight or last night was the Harvest Moon I think :eeyaa

http://www.uwec.edu/philrel/shimbutsudo/tsukiyomi.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Autumn_Festival

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Allegro » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:21 pm

justdrew wrote:tonight or last night was the Harvest Moon I think :eeyaa

Yes, early Thursday morning, Sep 23, 2010, I walked out to see how gorgeous the moon and Jupiter were!

NASA excerpt: Northern summer changes to fall on Sept. 22nd at 11:09 pm EDT. At that precise moment, called the autumnal equinox, the Harvest Moon can be found soaring high overhead with the planet Jupiter right beside it.

From Space dot com: "The sight of this Super Harvest Moon beaming through the trees, inflated to gargantuan proportions by the Moon illusion, made me feel like howling," says photographer Vasilis Wooseas of Greece. More Super Harvest Moon | Seattle Times.

Super Harvest Moon | an OK video published 14 hrs ago
    Vince Farrell

Last edited by Allegro on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Art will be the last bastion when all else fades away.
~ Timothy White (b 1952), American rock music journalist

Blog: View Blog (144)

Postby norton ash » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Maybe it's still being parked. Going around and around the earth, looking for the optimum spot, while the passenger says "Look, will you just park the f**king moon, we're close enough."
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Laodicean » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:47 pm

Late Lament

Breathe deep the gathering gloom,
Watch lights fade from every room.
Bedsitter people look back and lament,
Another day's useless energy spent.
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,
Lonely man cries for love and has none.
New mother picks up and suckles her son,
Senior citizens wish they were young.

Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colours from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white,
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby DoYouEverWonder » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:56 pm

Allegro wrote:
justdrew wrote:tonight or last night was the Harvest Moon I think :eeyaa

Yes, early Thursday morning, Sep 23, 2010, I walked out to see how gorgeous the moon and Jupiter were!

NASA excerpt: Northern summer changes to fall on Sept. 22nd at 11:09 pm EDT. At that precise moment, called the autumnal equinox, the Harvest Moon can be found soaring high overhead with the planet Jupiter right beside it.

From Space dot com: "The sight of this Super Harvest Moon beaming through the trees, inflated to gargantuan proportions by the Moon illusion, made me feel like howling," says photographer Vasilis Wooseas of Greece. More Super Harvest Moon | Seattle Times.

Super Harvest Moon | an OK video published 14 hrs ago
    Vince Farrell

That's about the time Neil Young ended his concert in Clearwater last night.
DoYouEverWonder

Postby alwyn » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:03 pm

Good to see the post re: Gurdjieff in this discussion. Technically the oral tradition of the G's has it that there was a cosmic 'accident' and that humanities 'organs of perception' were altered by 'higher beings' in order to deal with the trauma of the accident. The 'kundabuffer' was 'installed' in man as a form of kindness to his psyche, but it got out of hand, and mankind's perceptions were permanently altered. The moon was instrumental in maintaining the 'kundabuffer', which is another term for veil, or conditioned reality. At a certain point, this veil was to be lifted, but humans became so enamored of it, they refuse to part with their conditioning, often maintaining their attachment to it at the cost of the 'messenger technician's' life....(How long shall they kill our prophets, says Marley.) Interesting metaphor, at any rate.

It is also interesting, in light of this metaphor, to note that the moon's orbital cycle controls just about everything on the planet, growth of plants, tides, the human emotional cycle and fertility cycle. Full moons bring out the lunatics everywhere, hospitals and police departments have long noted the effects of the full moon. Farmers plant by it. Astrologers can determine much of man's conditioning, based upon the position of the moon/earth combination in relation to the rest of the cosmos.

If it was intelligent design, it was very intelligent. :praybow Or diabolical.

The sufis have a story called 'the islanders'. They maintain that we were on a journey somewhere, and that cosmic conditions got too bad to continue, so we were parked here for a time. The time has passed to move on, but we have grown fond of our 'home' so to speak, and now fail to recognize any other. The 'BEezlebubs Tales' contain much coded reference to Sufi literature, and the incomplete tale that Mr. G. told has it's basis in far older literature. Fascinating study...food for the moon indeed.
question authority?
alwyn

Postby beeline » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:12 pm

alwyn wrote:Full moons bring out the lunatics everywhere, hospitals and police departments have long noted the effects of the full moon.

The strangest night I ever had bartending was a full moon in conjunction with the comet Hale-Bopp coming closest to the earth. It was like the asylum down the street had opened its doors for the evening.
beeline

Postby justdrew » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:37 pm

alwyn wrote:Good to see the post re: Gurdjieff in this discussion. Technically the oral tradition of the G's has it that there was a cosmic 'accident' and that humanities 'organs of perception' were altered by 'higher beings' in order to deal with the trauma of the accident. The 'kundabuffer' was 'installed' in man as a form of kindness to his psyche, but it got out of hand, and mankind's perceptions were permanently altered. The moon was instrumental in maintaining the 'kundabuffer', which is another term for veil, or conditioned reality. At a certain point, this veil was to be lifted, but humans became so enamored of it, they refuse to part with their conditioning, often maintaining their attachment to it at the cost of the 'messenger technician's' life....(How long shall they kill our prophets, says Marley.) Interesting metaphor, at any rate.

It is also interesting, in light of this metaphor, to note that the moon's orbital cycle controls just about everything on the planet, growth of plants, tides, the human emotional cycle and fertility cycle. Full moons bring out the lunatics everywhere, hospitals and police departments have long noted the effects of the full moon. Farmers plant by it. Astrologers can determine much of man's conditioning, based upon the position of the moon/earth combination in relation to the rest of the cosmos.

If it was intelligent design, it was very intelligent. :praybow Or diabolical.

The sufis have a story called 'the islanders'. They maintain that we were on a journey somewhere, and that cosmic conditions got too bad to continue, so we were parked here for a time. The time has passed to move on, but we have grown fond of our 'home' so to speak, and now fail to recognize any other. The 'BEezlebubs Tales' contain much coded reference to Sufi literature, and the incomplete tale that Mr. G. told has it's basis in far older literature. Fascinating study...food for the moon indeed.

that reminds me for some reasons of this semi-moon related ...
(now I'll have to listen to the whole album tonight)
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion