The Man In The High Castle

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Man In The High Castle

Postby madeupname452 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:46 pm

Sir Ridley Scott is planning a return to science-fiction by producing a BBC mini-series almost 30 years after he directed Blade Runner.

His production company, Scott Free Productions, is preparing to shoot a four-part dramatisation of The Man In The High Castle – a novel set in an alternative future in which the Nazis won the Second World War.

The book was written by Philip K Dick, author of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, upon which 1982's Blade Runner was based. "It is a joy and a privilege to be back in Dick's world," said Sir Ridley, 72 ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/ridley-scott-returns-to-scifi-for-bbc-2100852.html
madeupname452

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Man In The High Castle

Postby elfismiles » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:43 am

:yay :shock:

Though I've not seen anything of Scott's in ages.

I think I own two copies with these covers:

Though this style is nice:

While this one's nice and comic bookish pulpy cyberpunk:

I like the different approach of this one:

So many more...

http://images.google.com/images?q=man+i ... igh+castle
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Simulist » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:46 am

That's great news, Madeupname452.

Made my day. Thanks!
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:40 am

Made my day, too. That's going to be awesome. On a way less awesome but probably more entertaining level, check out the BBC miniseries "Dead Set" -- probably the best zombie movie I've ever seen.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:43 am

Oh goody, goody, goody :jumping:

I can't wait! (although I also wish Radio Free Albemuth would percolate to the surface soon...)

Shelf graced with jacketless first edition... :bigsmile
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Postby Penguin » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:21 pm

We're all Dick fans, seems.

Hope Scott does a decent job like with Blade Runner. Imho, it is his best movie to date ...
Penguin

Postby Wilbur Whatley » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:00 am

I'd like to see VALIS on film!

You could do VALIS, Radio Free Albemuth, The Divine Invasion, all as one movie. It's one vision and one story.
Wilbur Whatley

Postby lucky » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:18 am

Wombaticus Rex wrote:Made my day, too. That's going to be awesome. On a way less awesome but probably more entertaining level, check out the BBC miniseries "Dead Set" -- probably the best zombie movie I've ever seen.

..not BBC , channel 4 (if your looking for it)
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Postby gnosticheresy_2 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:02 pm

Wombaticus Rex wrote:Made my day, too. That's going to be awesome. On a way less awesome but probably more entertaining level, check out the BBC miniseries "Dead Set" -- probably the best zombie movie I've ever seen.

Charlie Brooker innit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHun58mz3vI
gnosticheresy_2

Postby elfismiles » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:53 pm

"The X-Files" vet Frank Spotnitz will serve as primary scribe and as exec producer. Scott will exec produce through his shingle Scott Free Prods., alongside Headline Pictures, Electric Shepherd Prods. and FremantleMedia Intl., which will also distribute the mini globally.

Syfy Plans Adaptation of Philip K. Dick's 'Man in the High Castle'
New York Times (blog) -by Dave Itzkoff - 22 hours ago
Isa Dick Hackett, a daughter of Philip K. Dick and a founder of Electric Shepherd Productions, said in a statement: “'The Man in the High Castle' ...
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/ ... gh-castle/

Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle is coming to Syfy
io9-21 hours ago
http://io9.com/5983415/syfy-plans-a-min ... igh-castle

Syfy to adapt Philip K. Dick's novel 'The Man in the High Castle'
UPI.com-14 hours ago
http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/T ... 360633412/

Syfy, Ridley Scott, Frank Spotnitz set miniseries
-Variety-Feb 10, 2013
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118066024/

search.php?keywords=pkd+philip+dick&terms=all

search.php?keywords=dick+man+high+castle&terms=all
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: The Mut an In The High Castle

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:09 pm

I vaguely remember reading the book but I'll probably forget this.
Seamus OBlimey

Postby MinM » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:04 pm

Discovery, Scott Free Team for Second Scripted Miniseries

The untitled entry will explore Nigel Tranter's William Wallace and Robert the Bruce historical books.

As Discovery is in production prepping its first original scripted miniseries, the cable network already is eyeing a second.
our editor recommends
Discovery Touts 'Wallenda Live,' 'Klondike' Mini in 2013-14 Slate

The cable network is reteaming with Ridley Scott's Scott Free Productions banner for a second original mini based on the historical books by Nigel Tranter, Discovery announced Tuesday...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ond-582295

Not sure how this production will .. or how the one from the op ultimately turned out?

Either way it's been disheartening to see where Ridley Scott has gone with his career. Especially in backing Bill O'Reilly's bastardization of history (i.e., Killing Kennedy). It would appear that Alex Cox had good ole Ridley pretty well pegged...
IanEye » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:55 am wrote:
Luther Blissett wrote:Can someone help me out - what's going on with page 19 of this thread? I'm trying to do some research and I believe that the information about CIA posting desk positions at major studios and news agencies in the mid-20th Century exists on that page. However, whenever I try to browse to that page - or even the information contained on that page in the search results - my browser freezes. Unless someone knows that it exists elsewhere.

this what you are looking for?

viewtopic.php?p=487284#p487284
Spiro C. Thiery wrote:http://www.alexcox.com/blog.htm
TONY SCOTT'S SUICIDE NOTE

The Scott brothers, Ridley and Tony, lived in the north of England at the time of the Vietnam War. So did I. Britain didn't send troops to Vietnam and so Ridley, Tony and I didn't have to worry about being drafted and sent to die. But that vicious and immoral conflict played nightly on our televisions: it was the only non-sanitized war of our lifetime. It left many people - me included - with contempt for the CIA - which ran assassination and torture operations such as the Phoenix Program - and for the whole political/military/industrial machine.

My reaction was not uncommon. The United States and Europe are quite different in that in the US there is a nominal culture of respect for the military (though in practice it is the employment option only of the poor, invariably avoided by the rich and middle class), whereas in Europe armies and uniforms are widely disliked. Most of my generation grew up distrustful of governments, opposed to the military and to the creeps and provocateurs who spied on the peace movement. Remember The Clash song, The Call Up? It is an overt call to refuse to serve in anybody's army. Remember Strummer singing Straight To Hell? "There ain't no need for you..."

The Scotts went down a different path. They made commercials, and when they moved to the States became absorbed intothe Pentagon's Hollywood cheer-leading machine. The bros created glossy, highly dynamic recruitment propaganda like TOP GUN and BLACK HAWK DOWN, and - in the case of Tony - torture propaganda in the form of MAN ON FIRE.

So I wonder as to the contents of the various suicide notes Tony Scott left before jumping off that bridge. For a police force famous for leaking celebrity gossip, the LAPD has been close-mouthed about the matter. Perhaps the notes were merely tender messages to his family. Perhaps they were long screeds condemning the Hollywood studios for being a duplicitious, blacklisting mafia cartel. Or - and this is what I hope - perhaps they have been kept secret because they are a mea culpa: an apology for the years Scott wasted his talents working for the Pentagon and the CIA, promoting torture and war.

David Robb's Operation Hollywood is still the key text regarding the entertainment industryand the Pentagon. It is an important book, citing numerous examples of how studio producers, directors, and writers changed the content of their scripts in order to gain free tanks, battleships, and marines. Recently, three other books have appeared which begin to give a picture of how the CIA has shaped the cinema, and the careers of filmmakers.

The best of these books is the most general: Frances Stonor Saunders' Cultural Cold War (in England its title is Who Paid The Piper?). This is a broad look at how CIA money was used to influence the arts. It explains how the work of a talentless boozer, Jackson Pollock, found its way into museums owned by the Rockefellers, and thence onto gallery walls all over the US. Pollock's slap-dash canvases were bought and sold - at US taxpayers' expense - to show that American art was "better" than the crude naturalism which Russians supposedly preferred. Unfortunately, most Americans prefer crude naturalism, as do I: given a choice between a Pollock or a Norman Rockwell I would gaze on the Rockwell any day. Heck, I'd rather spend an afternoon in the Thomas Kinkaide store.

But intel influence didn't end with paintings. For some reason the spooks hated the writer Howard Fast, and managed to get him blacklisted by the American publishing industry. FBI agents visited Little, Brown and seven other publishers to persuade them not to publish Fast's great popular novel, Spartacus. Alfred Knopf sent the manuscript back unopened, saying he wouldn't read the work of "a traitor". Fast, a Jew, was no traitor: he served time in jail rather than "name names" to the House Un-American Activities Committee. And when Kirk Douglas made a film of Spartacus, he gave the screenwriting assignment to Dalton Trumbo, another blacklisted writer who had been jailed rather than betray his friends.

Nevertheless, buoyed by the blacklisting of Fast, the CIA went all out on a massive book-burning binge. A terrified State Department was obliged to remove from American libraries in foreign countries the work of Fast, Dashiell Hammett, Langston Hughes, John Reed, Tom Paine, Thomas Mann, Albert Einstein, and many other authors: Herman Mellville's Moby Dick, magnificently illustrated by Rockwell Kent, was also deemed unAmerican, and removed from the shelves. As Saunders observes, many of the books banned by the State Department had been burned by Hitler's Nazis, too. Some writers became active, witting agents of the CIA - including Peter Matthiessen and James Michener, "who used his career as a writer as cover for his work in eliminating radicals."

But, as Allen Dulles - head of the CIA till he was fired by John F. Kennedy - said, "nobody reads". So the spooks threw a wider net - arranging concerts and art exhibits, coming up with a $20,000 poetry prize for the fascist Ezra Pound (who at the time was in a hospital for the criminally insane), and quickly turning their attention to the propaganda possibilities of film.

According to Saunders, a secret campaign was undertaken by the CIA and Pentagon in 1955, called "Militant Liberty". This was designed to insert the theme of "freedom" into American movies, and to remove any elements which were critical of the United States. In June and July of 1956, representatives of the Joint Chiefs of Staff met with a group of Hollywood acolytes which included John Ford, Merian C . Cooper, John Wayne, and Ward Bond, to promote the illegal domestic propaganda program. A producer named C.V. Whitney, not coincidentally the cousin of CIA agent Tracey Barnes, signed on and made THE SEARCHERS (in the light of which we might view the film as an anti-Communist parable, with "redskins" standing in for "reds").

Saunders also observes that when, in 1946, Ford and Cooper set up their independent production company, Argosy, the principal investors were all intelligence men: William Donovan (former head of the OSS), Ole Doering, David Bruce and William Vanderbilt. C.D. Jackson, a CIA agent and vice president of Time, listed as helpful "friends" Cecil B. DeMille; Spyros P. Skouros and Darryl Zanuck at Fox; Nicholas Shenk, president of MGM; producer Dore Schary; Barney Balaban, president of Paramount; Harry and Jack Warner; James R. Grainger, president of RKO; Milton Rackmil, president of Universal; Harry Cohn, president of Columbia; Herbert Yates, head of Republic Pictures; and, inevitably, Walt and Roy Disney.

If Jackson's claim is true, then all the studios except United Artists were in the CIA's pocket by 1954. But CIA influence didn't stop with studio heads. A CIA agent, Carleton Alsop, worked undercover at Paramount, where he prepared lists of actors and technicians to be blacklisted, ordered script changes, and shut down films of which he disapproved. Alsop was quite powerful: he killed the project GIANT at Paramount because it was unflattering to rich Texans and depicted racism against Mexicans.

How many other studios had in-house CIA censors isn't clear: but it's unlikely that Carleton Alsop worked all alone.

Daniel J. Leab's Orwell Subverted deals with the first feature fully-funded by the CIA, ANIMAL FARM. As anyone who has seen it knows, ANIMAL FARM is an unsuccessful movie. The animation is reasonable, but the end - in which the animals rise up and overthrow their Soviet-Pig oppressors - contradicts Orwell's novel and the purpose of the parable. Reading Leab's book one cannot help but note how like studio executives the film's CIA "investors" were: they had no concept of filmmaking, or storytelling, but they were certainly full of ideas, demanding new scenes in which "a sheepdog, walking beside a kindly farmer, hears word of the revolt and laughs it off; so also does a plough horse, driven by another kindly farmer."

Leab has actually unearthed the stupid notes the CIA execs gave to their underlings: like David Robb he has found real material showing exactly how the spooks went about constructing their propaganda film. Years later, does it matter? ANIMAL FARM did not do well. But the filmmakers - John Halas and Joy Batchelor - were paid by the CIA to make a feature, something no other British animators could afford to do. Thereafter they received work from the BBC and the commercials industry. When I was young, animation from the Halas and Batchelor studio dominated British television. There was no other notable British company in the business till Ardman came along. That the CIA "set up" Halas and Batchelor as feature filmmakers, and that the BBC continued to promote them, gave them an incredible advantage over other animators, and set the rather mediocre tone of British animation for twenty years.

Per Saunders, the CIA was also behind the production of NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR, pumping at least $100,000 into the picture via the "US Information Agency". Again, Orwell's bleak vision didn't satisfy the spooks, and the end had to be changed: in fact two endings were shot, one for American audiences, and another for the British - in which Winston Smith is gunned down shouting, "Down with Big Brother!" Ironically, the film starred Michael Redgrave, one of 125 people Orwell had shopped to the British secret service for crimes such as Communism, Jewishness, or being gay.

Tricia Jenkins' CIA in Hollywood isn't as comprehensive as one might like. Partially this is due to the spooks' inherent secrecy and refusal to reveal the details of the deals they make with Hollywood filmmakers. But it's also due to a certain authorial naivete regarding the CIA. Jenkins refers to five aspects of the public's perception of the CIA: 1) that the Agency assassinates people, 2) that it is staffed with rogue operatives, 3) that it fails to take care of its assets, and 4) that it is morally ambiguous, and 5) that it is marked by buffoonery and ineffectiveness.

This is an incomplete list. The fact that the CIA assassinates people is not in any doubt: CIA-directed drones perform extra-judicial killings for us on a weekly basis. But what about the DRUG DEALING? After assassination and torture, the biggest complaint, made consistently against the CIA since the Vietnam War, is that it is involved in the international drug trade, and uses the traffic and resale of illegal drugs to enrich its operatives and fund its "black" operations. The reader may consult Alfred McCoy's Politics of Heroin in South East Asia, or Henrik Kruger's The Great Heroin Coup (for chapter and verse detail of CIA involvement in the heroin trade), or Cockburn and StClair's Whiteout, or Gary Webb's Dark Alliance (for the same on CIA complicity in the importation and sale of cocaine). The CIA inspector general, Frederick Hitz, was unable to disprove any of Gary Webb's reporting (the unfortunate Webb was fired from his job, and committed suicide).

Even if Jenkins doesn't believe that the CIA smuggles drugs, the accusations are there, they've been there for a long time, and they're backed up with evidence. A book dealing with the reputation of the Agency and its manipulation of the media should address the issue of alleged CIA drug dealing. This is not done.

This is strange, as it was with Tim Weiner's Legacy of Ashes - a supposed history of the CIA which also ignored the Agency's "drug problem". This is a re-writing of history, in which some of the worst blowback from US intelligence activities is simply ignored. The Hollywood movie AIR AMERICA - based on a book about CIA drug dealing operations - airbrushed the drugs out, but not all pictures dealing with US intelligence have done likewise. What about that highly intelligent thriller WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN, in which a merchant marine played by Nick Nolte is pursued by CIA agents who want their cut of his drugs operation? Not worthy of mention? It is a good fiilm.

CIA in Hollywood also suffers from an incomplete index, which covers only a handful of the names and motion pictures cited, and an incomplete bibliography, which doesn't contain all the books the author cites.

Jenkins makes an excellent point that by choosing to support certain films and to deny other filmmakers assistance, the CIA is violating the First Amendment to the Constitution. And since the Agency is not allowed to propagandize domestically, its support of Hollywood films and TV shows like 24 is a violation of its own Charter. Not that the CIA is all that worried, I suspect. As Robb observed, the Pentagon, the FBI, the Secret Service and numerous other federal agencies breach the First Amendment in exactly the same way. And Hollywood - an illegal cartel - is unlikely to utter any protest. The CIA has even acted as a TV distributor - pumping episodes of DYNASTY into East Germany during the Cold War "in order to sell those residents on capitalism and the luxury life it could afford."

For your edification, here follow the actors, directors, writers, producers and studio execs who the author links to the CIA, usually found 1) visiting CIA headquarters to party with the spooks, 2) taking instructions from CIA, or 3) actively helping to encourage CIA recruitment. Tony Scott heads the list: Jenkins reports that CIA was particularly fond of his masterpiece TOP GUN, "the single best recruiting tool the navy - and specifically naval aviation - ever had" and "was looking for a project that could help them do something similar."

Tony Scott, RIP; John Ford; John Wayne; Cecil B. DeMille; Darryl Zanuck; Luigi Luraschi (head of domestic and foreign censorship at Paramount in the 1950s); Joseph Mankiewicz; John Chambers and Bob Sidell (studio makeup men); Jack Myers; David Houle; Scott Valentine (VP of Sony Pictures); Jack Gilardi (ICM agency); Rick Nicita (CAA agency); Ron Meyer (COO of Universal); Matt Corman; Chris Ord; Kristy Swanson; Tim Matheson; Roger and Robert Towne; Tom Berenger; Ron Silver; Michael Frost Beckner; Jennifer Garner; Jeff Apple; Roger Birnbaum; Colin Farrell; Ben Affleck; Phil Alden Robinson; Lawrence Lasker; Mark Bowden; Mike Myers; Kevin and Michael Bacon; Mace Neufeld; J.J. Abrams; Paul Attanasio; Doug Liman; David Arata; Kiefer Sutherland; Tom Cruise.

(Not all Hollywood actors are thus inclined. Post 9-11, some have spoken out against CIA and government spying: Jenkins lists Al Pacino, Martin Sheen, Hector Elizondo, Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter, Kristin Davis, Samuel L. Jackson and Jake Gyllenhaal as standing up for the American Civil Liberties Union in a series of advertisements.)

as far as the freezing goes, not sure what to say.
i used to get weirdness on some of my ri blog posts, but i just assumed it had something to do with the amount of images and video links i was posting...

viewtopic.php?p=489212#p489212
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:54 pm

This is a broad look at how CIA money was used to influence the arts. It explains how the work of a talentless boozer, Jackson Pollock, found its way into museums owned by the Rockefellers, and thence onto gallery walls all over the US. Pollock's slap-dash canvases were bought and sold - at US taxpayers' expense - to show that American art was "better" than the crude naturalism which Russians supposedly preferred.

I've always found the rise of Seattle grunge to have been more of the same.
Don't get me wrong. I was there at the time and loved it. But the groups that were elevated to mass popularity had a strongly personal negative message that was distorted by those listening outside of PNW culture. Cobain and Staley both died from it. Andy Wood, a proponent of orgiastic 'love rock' was pushed (od'ed) out of the way for another gloom and doomer (Vedder) to take his place.

The money came in and the solidarity went away. Now I have to deal with stupid kids on the internet who take Nirvana at face value.

But that's the purpose of the exercise, I suppose.

I really still hope to see Man in the High Castle someday, or Radio Free Albemuth...
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Postby justdrew » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:47 pm

it looks like this Man in the High Castle thing is over and done with, not happening.

It's not really suitable to video anyway.

I really don't much care for either Scott. They're both bullshit artists who skated by on connections and famous names garnered from excessive media coverage of a few 'blockbusters' - Prometius was a total piece of shit. Predator vs Alien was far better.

FYI - Blockbusters are not GOOD things. They're bad. You'd think being from Great Britain they'd know that. but I guess they were too young and too far north too see the craters.

With any luck R.S. will not ever get around to ruining the totally unnecessary, outrageous and asinine cash-grab 'blade runner reboot' he's got his feeding proboscis sunk into.

he one of these god damn fuckers who just had every damn thing handed to him on gilded plater. fuck him.

look at this:

Ridley Scott was born in South Shields, Tyne and Wear (then Northumberland) on 30 November 1937. His father was an officer in the Royal Engineers and the family followed him as his career posted him throughout the UK and Europe before they eventually returned to Teesside.

Scott wanted to join Army (his elder brother Frank had already joined the Merchant Navy) but his father encouraged him to develop his artistic talents instead and so he went to West Hartlepool College of Art and then London's Royal College of Art where he helped found the film department.

(but still needed the beeb to teach him to direct after graduation...)

He joined BBC in 1962 as trainee set designer working on several high profile shows. He attended a trainee director's course while he was there and his first directing job was an episode of the prestigious BBC series "Z Cars" (1962), "Z Cars: Error of Judgement (#4.40)" (1965).

and that is just the start. Mr. Can't Fail goes to work...

Does it go on about the bag of free money he found by the side of the road later? Wouldn't surprise me.

Being the actors' director that he is, Scott favors extensive use of the two-camera 'V' set-up, thus enabling his actors to play more fluidly off one another without being constantly interrupted by calls to "Cut!".

fucking genius! What a hero of the industry :eeyaa

and here's his god damn son: WHO's VERY FIRST JOB was making music video for R.E.M.

The poor bastard, it must be hell, no doubt he worked REALLY FUCKING HARD FOR THAT.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0779265/

course, looks like he's mostly been dicking around since. No matter, he'll never need to work a day in his life. Of COURSE he just had to go into THE Business, just like dear old dad.

fuck thinking about this over privileged one-hit-wonder has really pissed me off :jumping:

I'll give him a little credit for directing three eps of Adam Adamant Lives! - but that's it beyond Blade Runner, a very good movie, but not perfect. Would prefer to see it done more faithfully sometime :twisted:
Last edited by justdrew on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby semiconscious » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Twyla LaSarc » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:54 pm wrote:
I really still hope to see Man in the High Castle someday, or Radio Free Albemuth...

me, i'll go with:

semiconscious

Next

Return to General Discussion