The Man In The High Castle

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Man In The High Castle

Postby 82_28 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:46 pm

We should flood the world with self made renditions of PKD stories.

Although he died when he was only 53 years old, Philip K. Dick (1928 – 1982) published 44 novels and 121 short stories during his lifetime and solidified his position as arguably the most literary of science fiction writers. His novel Ubik appears on TIME magazine’s list of the 100 best English-language novels, and Dick is the only science fiction writer to get honored in the prestigious Library of America series, a kind of pantheon of American literature.

If you’re not intimately familiar with his novels, then you assuredly know major films based on Dick’s work – Blade Runner, Total Recall, A Scanner Darkly and Minority Report. Today, we bring you another way to get acquainted with his writing. We’re presenting a selection of Dick’s stories available for free on the web. Below we have culled together 11 short stories from our collection of Free eBooks and Free Audio Books. And, just as an fyi, you could always snag one of Dick’s novels (in audio) by signing up for Audible.com’s no-strings-attached Free Trial program. Get details here.

http://www.openculture.com/2012/01/free ... _dick.html

Yes, UBIK, absolutely! Transmigration of Timothy Archer. Martian Time Slip. God, one could go on and on.

I can't even begin to describe how much Mr. Dick changed everything about how I view anything. Not to mention the Dickian nature of my screen name of which I was not aware.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby justdrew » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:05 pm

actually, if I could make one (then I could make two), I'd start with The Simulacra, then Dr. Bloodmoney, finally with: Lies, Inc.

Although, there's probably some workable short-stories too, though I can't think of one off the top.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby vondardanelle » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:53 pm

still hoping that this is actually going to happen-- http://www.imdb.com/news/ni11944487/ though it doesn't look like it's been worked on at all :hrumph

i think game-players of titan could be turned into a pretty cool sci fi movie
vondardanelle

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Laodicean » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:05 am

Twyla LaSarc » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:54 pm wrote:
This is a broad look at how CIA money was used to influence the arts. It explains how the work of a talentless boozer, Jackson Pollock, found its way into museums owned by the Rockefellers, and thence onto gallery walls all over the US. Pollock's slap-dash canvases were bought and sold - at US taxpayers' expense - to show that American art was "better" than the crude naturalism which Russians supposedly preferred.

I've always found the rise of Seattle grunge to have been more of the same.
Don't get me wrong. I was there at the time and loved it. But the groups that were elevated to mass popularity had a strongly personal negative message that was distorted by those listening outside of PNW culture. Cobain and Staley both died from it. Andy Wood, a proponent of orgiastic 'love rock' was pushed (od'ed) out of the way for another gloom and doomer (Vedder) to take his place.

The money came in and the solidarity went away. Now I have to deal with stupid kids on the internet who take Nirvana at face value.

But that's the purpose of the exercise, I suppose.

I really still hope to see Man in the High Castle someday, or Radio Free Albemuth...

Not doom and gloom anymore...Eddie Vedder is CIA? FFS...

Radio Free Albemuth's Kickstarter project. There was a release in 2010 but I haven't seen it. Reviews on IMDB are not good.
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Previous

Return to General Discussion