FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Postby Jerky » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Love Del Toro and Pan's Labyrinth, but it's not Kubrickean, and Del Toro is not a Kubrickean director.

I did miss one Spanish guy - Alfonso Cuaron, whose Children of Men is the most Kubrickean non-Kubrick film ever made, quite possibly.

Jerky

PS - Lots of doings over at KubrickU.blogspot.com, including an ongoing explication of my life-long love-afair with Stan the Man's flicks!
Jerky

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:14 pm

Lars von Trier is not Kubrickean. But some of the Dogma 95 movies made a try. I wish Kubrick had done a Dogma.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby OuishAgain » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:46 am

To digress from Kubrick for a second, I was surfing YouTube and came across this, which I've never heard of, from 1979. The video is in French with Spanish subtitles, neither of which I understand, but every RI reader will know the story. (I don't know about cinematic quality, but it does have a kind of Alphaville vibe that I liked. Blank skyscrapers are a real motif in '70s conspiracy films, aren't they?)

OuishAgain

Postby Jerky » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:39 am

You say your post is a digression from Kubrick, but damn if K's visual stamp isn't all over I as in Icarus. A wonderful, underappreciated, essentially lost (for the English speaking world) work of 70s conspiracy cinema.

YOPJ
Jerky

Postby conniption » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:11 am

The Mystery Of The Leaping Fish: 1916 Film (Cocaine Using "Scientific Detective" Named Coke Ennyday)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZETMXchAViY
conniption

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:00 pm

JackRiddler » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:03 pm wrote:
...But you've forgotten P.T. Anderson. (Dear god, it was such a shock when I realized that this Anderson guy of such incredibly diverse range and tenor was actually two different directors. Ha.) There Will Be Blood and The Master stylistically doing decent facsimiles of Kubrick, and get some of the way in the substance.

Agreed. Still haven't seen The Master in its entirety, but have been a fan of all of P.T. Anderson's films (he managed to elicit arguably the best ever performance out of Cruise in Magnolia -- perhaps because it was closest to his -- Cruise's -- true mindset).

JackRiddler » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:03 pm wrote:Gaspar Noe (arguable)
Enter the Void is epic, epic stuff. Give him his own category. Not Kubrick.

I watched Noe's Enter the Void (after being impressed/disturbed by one of his prior films, Irreversible) not too long ago and was similarly impressed with some of the imagery/innovation/stylistic cues, but felt he really could have taken that concept farther, gone into more depth.

No denying his ability, however.

Not sure if anyone posted this one yet:

Belligerent Savant

Postby DrEvil » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:38 am

I have a weak spot for low budget horror of the creepy kind, so here's a few rigint-ish movies off the top of my head:

Banshee Chapter
No idea what the title refers to, but the movie involves MK-Ultra, number stations, super DMT and Ted Levine as an awesome gonzo author.

The Objective
Soldiers in middle east run into.. something in the desert.

Noroi - the Curse
Japanese fake documentary. Highly recommended. Here's the full movie with English subs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilHmpETJgZ0

The Borderlands
Vatican investigators checking out a supposed miracle in a remote English church. Great actors and a great ending.

V/H/S 2
Several short movies. Most of them suck, but the one taking place at a religious compound is great and really freaky.

Wer and Afflicted
Shaky-cam werewolf and vampire movies respectively. Both are pretty good (Wer is seriously brutal, so be warned).

The Dyatlov Pass Incident (Devil's Pass)
Remote Russian location. Mysterious door in mountainside. Directed by Renny Harlin. :)
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby guruilla » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:57 am

Locke (2013)
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby streeb » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Locke is great.

Phase IV, a film which is probably well known round here. But now you can watch at home and restore the crazy studio-trashed ending all by yourself.

streeb

Postby brekin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:48 pm

OK, file this under a good bad movie. It really needs to be reedited to be a 40 minute episode instead of full length feature.
The trailer below is better than the film and is a testament to how you can really over complicate a simple premise.
But there is about 20-25 minutes in the film that is worth wading through the plot holes, really rusty acting transitions and over pretentious cinematography.

I never heard about this film, because it flopped and deservedly so. But the subject matter and style is very R.I. and the film has some dark charm to it. I'd post the Wikipedia plot summary, but even that is confusing as fuck. Basically, <SPOILER ALERT> the F.B.I. had a remote viewing program they used to track serial killers which kind of went awry. The only reason I tell you that is because it will keep you interested/informed as the film plods through the deserts of kitsch to the little isles of interesting material. If you actually have a life, I suggest you just watch the trailer.

Suspect Zero
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby stefano » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:45 am

Nightcrawler is outstanding. Jake Gyllenhaal plays a Lou Bloom, a very strange self-taught loner making a success as a freelance video journalist in LA. He has all the MBA buzzwords down pat, is driven and thinks two moves ahead. The contrast to him is provided by his partner in the business, Rick (played by Riz Ahmed, doing a pretty good American accent), who cannot understand how Bloom's head works, and the other main character is Nina (Rene Russo), a showrunner at a TV station, who understands him all too well.

I think it'll appeal to most here - Bloom is the typical shark, using and discarding people around him. It's a good story, but what makes it a quality film is Gyllenhaal's acting - he puts exactly the right mix of controlled menace and baffled awkwardness in the role - and the clever use of screens to tell the story - we only see the climactic scene on the little video viewfinders of Bloom and Rick's cameras, or else on the TV banks in the studio. Good comment on business, and the media business in particular. I really liked it.
stefano

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:59 am

It Follows is going to be one of my favorite films of the year, I can just feel it. This is coming highly recommended. I love atmospheric films that say more with their implicit nature than with their explicit formal qualities (see Kubrick) and this one doesn't disappoint. I'm going to have to give it multiple viewings to try to analyze some of the background and settings.

One of the most interesting things about this movie is that it takes place in a parallel universe, though it's subtle. Near the beginning the characters are watching a black and white flying saucer film on a tube television (a motif repeated throughout) even though they're wearing contemporary clothes; there does not seem to be "an internet" or "social media" though one character carries a sufficiently technologically advanced device in the form of a seashell makeup compact, with which she reads books (Dostoevsky) and poetry; Detroit is already collapsed; cars and signage are all disjointed and out-of-time; college coursework appears as giant folded paper charts and tables (in a class on Prufrock). I loved this about the movie and it's totally separate from the horror on-screen, the performances and the score (all of which are great).

I'm not going to post the trailer because I don't think it does the film justice. But if you like atmospheric, dreamy, well-crafted horror, I implore you to go see it.

If you worry that this is some kind of morality play, it definitely isn't.

http://io9.com/it-follows-proves-that-h ... 1691019297
http://www.avclub.com/review/it-follows ... ge--216311
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby zangtang » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Its on my list.
- and how could it not be? - I haven't been implored for a long time !

world udbe a better place if we all did a bit more imploreing.

sans doubte. Pub.
zangtang

Postby Nordic » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:29 am

A lot of buzz about "Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter". I keep hearing that it's great.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Hugo Farnsworth » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:06 am

Radio Free Albemuth, screenplay by John Alan Simon, based on PK Dick's book of the same name, sort of the Valis world.

No idea how i missed this, since it came out in 2010, and it's been mentioned here in a few threads. Anyway, it's playing on Netflix.
Without traversing the edges, the center is unknowable.
Hugo Farnsworth

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie