FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Postby Nordic » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:46 pm

Finally saw "Nightcrawler" and WOW. I can't get it out of my head. If there was ever a perfect neo-noir, this is it. It really captures the feel of LA in the wee, darkest hours of the night. The cinematography is perfect -- the city glitters with ominous potential, as do Gyllenhalls's eyes. This film would not have been possible without modern digital cameras and their high ISO's.

It's creepy as fuck on a spiritual level. It captures the desperation to exploit.

It gave me very weird dreams the night I saw it.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:14 pm

^^Agree.

Found another one last night: "Cop Car."

2015 flick. Don't read anything about it, just see it. Very sparse, powerful, beautiful film with some exceptional performances.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stefano » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:42 am

I really liked this movie. When I say I liked it I mean it made my blood boil and I wanted to raise barricades and pillage some castles. But it's extremely well written: it's an adaptation of a play, so very dialogue-focussed with just a few establishing scenes, of Oxford's colleges and one good one in a castle.

It's about the Bullingdon Club, about the power networks that surround it, and about how the very, very rich can, essentially, do what they want. The second act is all taken up by one of the club's notorious dinner parties, in which they trash some pub and then pay the landlord. It's a great bit of moviemaking, the tension builds slowly as they get drunker and their ugly side comes out more, while the remote country pub empties, until it ends in violence.

The movie's really good on a few aspects of the political networks that we discuss here. There's the lack of empathy - very importantly, they act aggressively and mercilessly to bring Miles, who treats 'poor' people decently on side. There's the fact that money can buy you anything - even Miles has a reaction like that, and so does the pub landlord, to some degree. And there's the utter lack of ethics - right and wrong is never even discussed in relation to the violent act, only what they need to do to make the problem go away.

And Jessica Brown Findlay's in it. She really lights up a screen.
stefano

Postby guruilla » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:06 pm

Surprisingly gripping, if a bit long.

About half an hour in, Pete Townsend talks about how their managers (Kit Lambert & Chris Stamp) had the visionary idea of using the band’s audience as a way to increase its appeal. They went around giving away free tickets to all the best-dressed, most stylish teenagers they could find. As a result, those early Who concerts were filled with audience members who were better-dressed and more stylish than the band was. Chris Stamp expounds:

“We had this idea, which became known as the 100 Faces Club. We would pick one of these kids and make them official members. . . We never quite knew what made them a face. They had to dance well, they had to dress weird or well, in some ways show the rebelliousness, the individuality. We weren’t only trying to identify The Who, as such, but their specific audience through our judgment. We were the guys who were saying ‘This is what we think the Who audience is.’ And we made them a 100 Faces member.”

This created very quickly the sense of a movement—and in fact the Mod movement very much arose from this time period and can be directly linked to the rise of The Who (and their swan song Quadrophenia). Not to get sidetracked into the question of pop cultural social engineering here. Townshend remarks that it wasn’t that they were marketing to the audience: they were marketing the audience:

“You become a mirror to the audience. Kit and Chris watched this happen and started to develop it as a way of harnessing the energy of the audience, which was to empower them, to make them realize how important they actually were. I was really uncomfortable with it, really uncomfortable. . . . They were able to recognize that synergy that was going between the audience. And the only reason that I was into that, spotting that, was again because of art school training, being told by my teachers: ‘Find a patron.’ . . . [The audience is] not just the patrons. They’re the essence. . . . You don’t market to them. You market them.”
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby divideandconquer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:38 am

stefano » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:45 am wrote:Image

Nightcrawler is outstanding. Jake Gyllenhaal plays a Lou Bloom, a very strange self-taught loner making a success as a freelance video journalist in LA. He has all the MBA buzzwords down pat, is driven and thinks two moves ahead. The contrast to him is provided by his partner in the business, Rick (played by Riz Ahmed, doing a pretty good American accent), who cannot understand how Bloom's head works, and the other main character is Nina (Rene Russo), a showrunner at a TV station, who understands him all too well.

I think it'll appeal to most here - Bloom is the typical shark, using and discarding people around him. It's a good story, but what makes it a quality film is Gyllenhaal's acting - he puts exactly the right mix of controlled menace and baffled awkwardness in the role - and the clever use of screens to tell the story - we only see the climactic scene on the little video viewfinders of Bloom and Rick's cameras, or else on the TV banks in the studio. Good comment on business, and the media business in particular. I really liked it.

I agree, Stefano. For whatever reason, I didn't think I'd like this movie, but boy was I wrong.

I love this line:
Louis Bloom: Having been raised with the self-esteem movement so popular in schools, I used to expect that my needs to be considered. But I know that today’s work culture no longer caters to the job loyalty that could be promised to earlier generations.

So true of not only schools but home as well...of middle-class society, anyway, especially upper middle-class. I don't think this movement trickled down to the poor except maybe in the severely under-funded schools, which is sort of impossible to implement when so many of the kids are not even getting their most essential needs met...food, shelter, etc.. In any case, I've learned there is a fine line between instilling self-respect and self-centeredness/narcissism.

And I think the following line really captures one of the themes of this movie: the power of the frame in the creation of the preconceived packaged "reality" they've successfully sold us. It's quite simple when most do not question what's contained within a frame that's intentionally applied by self-interested individuals.
Louis Bloom: I’m focusing on framing. A proper frame not only draws the eye into the picture, but keep it there longer, dissolving the barrier between the subject and the outside of the frame.
'I see clearly that man in this world deceives himself by admiring and esteeming things which are not, and neither sees nor esteems the things which are.' — St. Catherine of Genoa
divideandconquer

Postby guruilla » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:48 am

Did anyone read/hear how the director claimed not to have seen the protagonist as a sociopath?

When I heard that, true or not, it made sense: the film seemed to be suffused in the energy of its subject matter, not in a good way.
guruilla

Postby Nordic » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:19 pm

guruilla » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:48 am wrote:Did anyone read/hear how the director claimed not to have seen the protagonist as a sociopath?

When I heard that, true or not, it made sense: the film seemed to be suffused in the energy of its subject matter, not in a good way.

Link?
Nordic

Postby guruilla » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Sorry, this is all I've got right now:

A comment at Morris Berman's blog:

I saw an interview of the movie's [writer/] director [Dan Gilroy] on YouTube and, perhaps not surprisingly since he's an American, he acted like Gyllenhall's character is perfectly normal. He said something to the effect of "I think most Americans can identify with the main character....".

Pretty much all of us who come to this blog have the wisdom to clearly see the prevailing sickness in American culture and society.
When we see a movie like "Nightcrawler" we assume the director created the character as a sort of expose' of America's sickness, but I believe the sickness has taken such a hold now that it's completely inculcated in all things. When it's in a movie it's not because the movie's makers want to expose or point it out, it's because a sick movie was made by sick people to entertain other sickos. People like us can easily see this anomalous behavior in the movie, but it wasn't put there for any special purpose. It reflects the sickness of American society simply because it's American.
guruilla

Postby coffin_dodger » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:25 pm

Pretty much all of us who come to this blog have the wisdom to clearly see the prevailing sickness in American culture and society.
When we see a movie like "Nightcrawler" we assume the director created the character as a sort of expose' of America's sickness, but I believe the sickness has taken such a hold now that it's completely inculcated in all things. When it's in a movie it's not because the movie's makers want to expose or point it out, it's because a sick movie was made by sick people to entertain other sickos. People like us can easily see this anomalous behavior in the movie, but it wasn't put there for any special purpose. It reflects the sickness of American society simply because it's American.

I watched Nightcrawler on Neflix and came to the same conclusion. I experienced a similar feeling when viewing the latest incarnation of Robocop, a few months ago. At first I assumed the entire film was satire - and a good one at that - but (having discussed it online elsewhere) soon realised that it is was not perceived as such, by most.

It looks like many Americans could be on the cusp of losing their minds - the sense of self-worth has turned from beloved to despised. The dissonance surrounding 9/11, the constant wars abroad and at home (on terror, on drugs, on race), coupled with the absolutely endemic, blatant, on-going fraud of the financial system exposed by events in 2008, is playing havoc with the average psyche - cancerous poisons of the mind which remain barely acknowledged and wholly untreated. From afar, it appears that US is on the precipice of a collective nervous breakdown.

There is no pharmacological quick fix for this ailment - in fact, many presecription medications are exacerbating this situation.

An equitable, feasible path forward through this quagmire is required, as a matter of urgency.

Please think accordingly.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Nordic » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:13 pm

Still no actual evidence given that the director thinks this. To say "Americans can identify with this" and run with it, as above, is disingenuous.

The director could have easily been insulting Americans rather than glorifying this obvious sociopath. And the whole point of he movie is that he is a sociopath. Without that, there's no reason to write it or make it.

Still having not actually seen the interview, I can easily assume that Americans can identify with this is because the main character is a perfect competitive capitalist opportunist. He's doing exactly what is expected to succeed in our culture. He is in so many ways the perfect American entrepreneur.
Nordic

Postby divideandconquer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:43 pm

From an interview with Dan Gilroy: http://www.slashfilm.com/dan-gilroy-interview/

As a writer, do you start with the situation, or the character?

I normally start with the situation. In this case the situation was there, because I had uncovered this world, but I didn’t start writing it then. I stepped back from it, and over a period of time the character started to develop. And when the characters started to speak I realized the movie wasn’t about the world, it was more about the character. And so it became more of a character study than I usually do, which felt really great to do.

The script upends some technical “rules,” such as the notion that the main character should change.

There’s no character arc! When I started to write the character I realized, “this guy isn’t going to change.” Every film you’re commissioned to write is all about an arc; usually the arc is that the world creates a change in the character, usually for the better. To not have an arc, the messages and ideas in the film became more prominent. The character is plowing through boundaries, and keeps going. So the boundaries become very clear, the things he’s crossing. And the focus on it is the world bending morally to what he’s doing. At the end, allowing him to succeed at what he has done, and celebrating his success. Raising questions: what does it say about us that we allow something like this to happen? It opened a lot of doors that a traditional arc doesn’t.

What was the most important thing to communicate with this character?

I believe that people like Lou are increasingly rewarded for what they do. I feel that in today’s world you will often find people with some sociopathic tendencies who are succeeding on a corporate level. I feel that the world is increasingly about the bottom line, and not so much about human respect or human dignity. In that regard, people who care about other people will not be in a position to make choices and do things that other people who they’re competing against will get to do. And I feel that the world is increasingly reduced to transactions, and that the human spirit is shoved aside to the point that — well, Lou understands that the world is about the bottom line. And accepts it! He has no family, and no connection to anything. It allows him to thrive, and to fully embrace the uber-capitalist concept, the ultimate hyper-free market. Which I feel is increasingly the world that we live in.

He very rapidly transitions from labor to management.

He is uniquely suited to management because he SO believes in the system. He believes that our experience on this planet, as sentient human beings, can be reduced to a climb up a ladder. To the acquisition of a job title. People who reach upper management in corporations or business — not all the time, there are many hard-working people who deserve everything they get, probably far more than not — but there are people who, like Lou, embrace the idea that it doesn’t matter what you do as long as you get it done. And I think that suits people for management in a lot of ways.

I’m almost jealous of Lou, in that he so forcefully expects to get what he wants, and that it does all fall into place for him.

When I was writing Lou, I thought “wow, it’s almost a dream that you could go through the world, do what you want, and not worry about the consequences.” Ultimately it’s hell, because I believe when you don’t care about other people you’re living in utter hell.

But all the time that I invest in thinking about my relationships with other people, my relationship with my wife, my kids, people around me, people having problems, I worry about them, I can’t sleep at night. Lou has none of that! He is utterly unburdened. He wakes up every morning and it is just “what am I doing for me?” He doesn’t worry about anybody but him. And that is probably wish-fulfillment in some ways, for some people whose lives are consumed by worry and legitimate concern about people they love. Lou has none of that, and all the time that we invest in that, he invests in himself. I think it works much to his advantage.

I wonder about an endpoint, or a crash for Lou. I’ve found myself thinking a lot about whether he could become a Rupert Murdoch figure.

I believe he does. When I wrote it I did. I believe the people who get caught are the dumb ones. That the true sociopaths, the smart ones, you never see them. They live and die amongst us and you never know they’re true sociopaths. Because a sociopath is not just someone who doesn’t care about human emotion. They’re someone who understands people to the point that they can manipulate them to an extraordinary degree.

Lou is a wonderful manipulator.

He understands people the way a lion understands a gazelle. Everything about them. There’s nothing he doesn’t know about them. So, actually, I always thought it was ironic when Rick says “your problem is you don’t understand people.” Lou understands people to a degree that goes beyond anything Rick could imagine. On an animalistic level.

One line really stuck out for me: Lou telling Rick “get out of your head, it’s a bad neighborhood.” It sticks in part because I project it onto Lou as well.

Yeah, it is a bad neighborhood in Lou’s head.

That line seems so specific; does it come from a particular place?

It’s very funny you ask about that line! That line came from a friend of mine who’s a producer, a gentleman named Jon Peters (Superman Lives producer), and I worked with him a number of years ago. Jon used to say that sometimes. “Get out of your head, it’s a bad neighborhood!” And it always stuck with me. I loved the line, so I’ll credit Jon Peters with that line. And proudly so, I love the guy.

I love that the process of making a film about an isolated sociopath was a total family endeavor.

I felt so supported to have a brother on either side — particularly one brother who started out as a writer and became a director. There was nothing I was experiencing that Tony [Gilroy, producer] couldn’t help me out with. And then my brother John is an amazing editor and I was working with him on the other side. So I feel supported on that side, they’re both extraordinarily talented. Then I had Renee [Russo], my wife, on set working. So it felt very comfortable to walk on set. I mean, there was still a lot of tension and stress. We’re working under…we didn’t have a lot of money and days were tight. But in the stress of it all it was nice to know that I was supported by people who I can trust. John was cutting as I went along, and he had an assembly [by the end] then we came in and worked on it afterward. We had a 16-week post. He was instrumental in crafting key, crucial sequences.

What was the most difficult scene to lock down?

There were two. One was when Nina was directing the story, telling the anchors to sell it harder. We had to cut and compress, and John compressed it in a way that was just amazing. And then the shootout and the chase, the way we crafted that and the way John put it together, the pacing of it and the angles we chose, I felt it showed a master hand on John’s part.

Was the script solid when Jake came on?

Script was written, Jake didn’t change a word. But Jake is my creative and collaborative partner in a lot of ways on this. I wanted to work with him, to bring his energy and creativity to the part. So we decided in our first meeting that we were going to rehearse. So we did that for months beforehand.

I would go up to his house and the rehearsal process was really one of exploring and trying, and not being afraid of something not working. Jake is fearless that way, Jake is utterly fearless and wanting to try. I think directors can only be so lucky to work with someone like Jake if you’re open to it. If you’re willing to collaborate and share, for lack of a better term, the power of directing with an actor in the sense of allowing them to explore and do things, try things and do different takes. Having those in the can so in post you can string together something that is unique. Jake blew me away. Even now when I watch his performance I always see something different that he was doing. He’s a supreme talent.

It seems like you’re in a wonderful position, working with him and Renee, to get something potentially very difficult — like the date sequence.

The date from hell! That came from a lot of rehearsal and finding layers to the scene, realizing that she was vulnerable, and Jake realizing different points. It was like a chess game. That’s how we approached it; we shot for like 12 hours on that scene.

How do you direct a movie that is so heavily bound to characters in cars?

Cars are hard. A lot of that was working with Robert Elswit. We had a digital camera, the Alexa, and it’s just figuring out — you put these trays on either door, and you figure out how many cameras you’re going to have at any given time. You want to put a camera on the hood at times, but you don’t want to block the driver’s view. There are times Jake would be driving when the camera’s in front you have concerns; can he see or not? So the mechanics of figuring out what series you’re going to do shots in — basically saying ok, this angle first because there’s a right hand turn, or whatever, then just working out a shot list with Robert.

How often was Jake driving?

Jake was driving probably 75% of the time and he was getting towed (on a process trailer) probably 25%. We wanted Jake driving as much as possible because there’s a gravity to driving. And Jake is an excellent driver! Incredible driver. That thing at the end where he threads the car between a couple things, and does the pull, that’s Jake driving. He’s a superb driver, I don’t know if he took driving classes, because he’s really good at it.

I found myself excited that Nightcrawler proves the nighttime city picture has got some kick left to it. I’d like to know more about how you and Elswit set the tone of the night shoots.

We wanted to show LA in a way that it’s not traditionally shown. A lot of times LA is desaturated, and cement and freeways, and downtown. We wanted to capture more of the electricity of the place, the wilderness energy of it, the desert light that you can see forever.

So we did a lot of wide-angle, we were opening up the camera to capture as much light as possible, and really bringing in a lot of detail in the background. It was shooting in places that you don’t normally see, allowing neon signs to register, doing as much deep focus as possible, never really using shallow focus. We wanted your eye to go as far back into the frame as possible. And we wanted to shoot LA to make it look physically beautiful as much as possible, to be honest. I find it to be a physically beautiful place in a lot of ways, between the mountains and the hills and snow and ocean.

We had 80 locations in this movie, we shot all over LA. In 27 days, of which 24 were nights, in a row. We were on nights for weeks, it was a wild energy. LA at night is amazing, driving around LA at night there’s no traffic at all, ever. A lot of films go downtown. We didn’t go downtown; we never shot anything downtown because everyone does, and we wanted to show a different part. And Robert lives in Venice, we shot that scene just blocks from his house. He walked home that day, he loved it! But we would drive around for months before, we did a lot of that to find locations.

For many people, awareness of this movie came out of the blue with that Craigslist promo. Whose idea was that?

It was Jake’s idea to shoot the elevator pitch speech different times while we were shooting the movie. So that was Jake’s idea, which I loved. We started just shooting that whenever we could, we shot like five versions of it. We cut it together, put the music to it, and Open Road’s marketing people very wisely found Craigslist as the place to launch it. So that was their idea, and I loved it. Great idea! Open Road I think is doing a terrific marketing job. It really opened the door for us in a lot of ways..
'I see clearly that man in this world deceives himself by admiring and esteeming things which are not, and neither sees nor esteems the things which are.' — St. Catherine of Genoa
divideandconquer

Postby Nordic » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:53 pm

Thanks for that. It's really a good interview. I just love this movie.
Nordic

Postby divideandconquer » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:50 am

Me too! I had no intention of watching it...I'm so glad I did.
divideandconquer

the keys are in the car

Postby IanEye » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:06 am

Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liverslices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencods' roes.
Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine.

I wonder about an endpoint, or a crash for Lou. I’ve found myself thinking a lot about whether he could become a Rupert Murdoch figure.

I believe he does. When I wrote it I did. I believe the people who get caught are the dumb ones. That the true sociopaths, the smart ones, you never see them. They live and die amongst us and you never know they’re true sociopaths. Because a sociopath is not just someone who doesn’t care about human emotion. They’re someone who understands people to the point that they can manipulate them to an extraordinary degree.

In terms of describing the psyche of a typical American, I think the role of Dwight Evans in Blue Ruin is more accurate than the role of Bloom in Nightcrawler.

But I also believe that school shooters like Kip Kinkel aren't very smart. Smart people who get bullied find ways to attain vengeance without getting caught.
But most Americans are more like Dwight, they have been raised with the idea that vengeance is a very American desire, but they have no clue on how to attain it successfully.
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby kelley » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:57 am

Re: subtlety and vengeance, peep Tom Hardy in 'The Drop'. Understated greatness with support from Noomi Rapace and James Gandolfini in his heartbreaking final role.
kelley

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie