FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Postby Jerky » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:13 pm

Interesting new(ish) movies I can recommend to adventurous viewers:

Mom and Dad ~ Selma Blair and Nick Cage star as a typical, upwardly mobile middle class mom and dad with two kids and an Asian housekeeper. One day, the whole town is inundated with a signal that makes parents fall prey to an overwhelming rage and a need to destroy their own children (and ONLY their own children... other people's kids, they couldn't care less). Works both as gripping horror / black comedy AND as a bracing satire of the increasingly unbridgeable generational divide. But, yeah, trigger warnings galore.

The Death of Stalin ~ Speaking of pitch-black satire, the latest film by Armando Iannucci -- one of the key figures in the Britcom Renaissance and frequent partner of bona fide geniuses Chris Morris and Steve Coogan -- The Death of Stalin presents a highly fictionalized account of the panic, turmoil and terror that gripped the Central Committee and other important elements of the Soviet government in the wake of Joseph Stalin's sudden death in 1953. Uniformly fantastic performances (Michael Palin, Steve Buscemi, Simon Beale, Andrea Riseborough and Jeffrey Tambor are all perfect) and help to elevate this film from high minded farce into something approaching (but not quite attaining) the level of a Dr Strangelove. Based on a French graphic novel, The Death of Stalin was banned in Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
Jerky

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Cordelia » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:15 am

If not already included; 'Philomena'. I'd like to think Stephen Frears directed the god-awful propaganda film 'The Queen' so that he could later direct this excellent film addressing cruelty & crimes the Catholic Church committed against Irish unwed mothers & babies. The trailer makes it look like a light, feel-good film; it's not.

https://www.youtube.com/watc?v=rG3QP8foCvg
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby American Dream » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:36 am

Jerky » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:13 pm wrote:
The Death of Stalin ~ Speaking of pitch-black satire, the latest film by Armando Iannucci -- one of the key figures in the Britcom Renaissance and frequent partner of bona fide geniuses Chris Morris and Steve Coogan -- The Death of Stalin presents a highly fictionalized account of the panic, turmoil and terror that gripped the Central Committee and other important elements of the Soviet government in the wake of Joseph Stalin's sudden death in 1953. Uniformly fantastic performances (Michael Palin, Steve Buscemi, Simon Beale, Andrea Riseborough and Jeffrey Tambor are all perfect) and help to elevate this film from high minded farce into something approaching (but not quite attaining) the level of a Dr Strangelove. Based on a French graphic novel, The Death of Stalin was banned in Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.

I agree- this was a powerful movie!
American Dream

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:35 am

"Hereditary" is one of those rare arthouse horror films that lived up to its own deafening hype. It is a lean beast. Certainly, one of the best films I've seen this year, upon a couple days of reflection.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby DrEvil » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:50 pm

^^Just came here to say pretty much the same thing. Saw it a couple of days ago, and wow. Now that's what I call a horror film.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby chump » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:33 pm

Glass is coming

“Good cannot exist without evil and evil cannot exist without good." 
— M. Night Shyamalan
chump

Postby chump » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:03 pm

I suddenly decided to take the time to take in this classic on TCM:

Did you know, there was once a motion in The League of Nations for every nation to annually play this made in America masterpiece to audiences around the entire world?

Drama / War
This is an English language film (made in America) adapted from a novel by German author Erich Maria Remarque. The film follows a group of German schoolboys, talked into enlisting at the beginning of World War 1 by their jingoistic teacher. The story is told entirely through the experiences of the young German recruits and highlights the tragedy of war through the eyes of individuals. As the boys witness death and mutilation all around them, any preconceptions about "the enemy" and the "rights and wrongs" of the conflict disappear, leaving them angry and bewildered. This is highlighted in the scene where Paul mortally wounds a French soldier and then weeps bitterly as he fights to save his life while trapped in a shell crater with the body. The film is not about heroism but about drudgery and futility and the gulf between the concept of war and the actuality…

chump

Postby Jerky » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Going to watch Hereditary tonight! Glad to see it gets the approval of people whose opinions I greatly respect here on this board.

YOPJ
Jerky

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:29 pm

"Philomena" was a very powerful movie. Judi Dench is such a great actor, bringing brightness at certain dark moments with her brilliance enhances its overall impact - her innocence, her heavy heart. The injustice of it all.

Thanks for your recommendation to see "Hereditary", Rex; I had passed it by but now look forward to watching it. And thanks to you too, Jerky, for giving the heads up on "The Death of Stalin"; I'm off to catch it.

"All Quiet on the Western Front" The WW II update: "The Longest Day"

Another would be, "The Bridge on the River Kwai."
Iamwhomiam

Postby Cordelia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Re-watched an Edward Norton film (‘Painted Veil’) last night; recent headlines reminded me of his first role, an excellent portrayal of an altar boy accused of murdering a prominent archbishop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnmTi7hSjrA

Edit to add 'The Painted Veil' as quality film imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q8s4eKcqeQ

(Though disliked Diana Rigg's Mother Superior; did appreciate Toby Jones & his beautiful concubine.)
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Just watched "Hereditary". Very creepy. What a head-trip!

On edit: Corrected film title. "Heritage" to "Hereditary."

Thanks, Jerky!
Last edited by Iamwhomiam on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Jerky » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:25 pm

You mean Hereditary? Agreed! I'll never make that mouth-clicking noise again.
Jerky

Postby DrEvil » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:54 pm

*click*
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby RocketMan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:39 am

Hereditary is one of the most horrific and emotionally devastating movies I've ever seen. Not since Seven in '95 have I been as drained as after watching this one.

Excellent film, chances are I'll never watch it again.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie