FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Postby DrEvil » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:30 pm

^^Speaking of Spanish directors - a couple of good Spanish horror movies (one by Alejandro Amenábar):

The Nameless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m9Xt6mMbSU

Thesis (by Alejandro Amenábar. The full movie is on youtube, but no subtitles):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIrrXbhIuzI
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:22 pm

"Slow West."

I've seen some really good post-Unforgiven Westerns, and it's no surprise this was a New Zealand production, since both The Proposition and The Rover, despite the repetitive naming scheme, were asynchronous masterpieces, to me. But "Slow West" was an unusually inspiring labor of love. It was recommended to me on the basis of the photography - on par with anything in 2015, to be sure - and the timeless "The Ending is So Crazy, Bruh, You Have No Idea."

In this case, I did not. I'm happy to report I can't give you any spoilers, the ending is such paroxysm of magical realism. AKA, Magical Realism. This one will survive most of us and I hope it inspires young men of all ages to respect their counterparts in the war against assholes.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:20 pm

Saw this on Netflix the other day...

"...freedom breeds inequality" (in a non-regulated capitalist system)

Belligerent Savant

Postby Joao » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:52 pm

semper occultus » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:48 am wrote:....god help me I've just signed on for this one...13 hours....9-5pm over Saturday-Sunday ....I'll be talking in a french accent by next Sunday afternoon...

Looks interesting. I started to download but learned that a restored version will be released on blu-ray in January...

Lots of good recommendations here recently. Thanks everybody.

I thought The Lobster was both good and discomfiting.

ImageThe Lobster

Single people must find romantic partners in 45 days or be transformed into beasts and sent off into the woods.

Initial release: October 16, 2015 (United Kingdom)

Director: Yorgos Lanthimos
Joao

Postby guruilla » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:52 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:22 pm wrote:"Slow West."

I've seen some really good post-Unforgiven Westerns, and it's no surprise this was a New Zealand production, since both The Proposition and The Rover, despite the repetitive naming scheme, were asynchronous masterpieces, to me. But "Slow West" was an unusually inspiring labor of love. It was recommended to me on the basis of the photography - on par with anything in 2015, to be sure - and the timeless "The Ending is So Crazy, Bruh, You Have No Idea."

In this case, I did not. I'm happy to report I can't give you any spoilers, the ending is such paroxysm of magical realism. AKA, Magical Realism. This one will survive most of us and I hope it inspires young men of all ages to respect their counterparts in the war against assholes.

Forgot to include this in my best of 2015 tweet, thanks. Dark lyricism, magical realism as a tonic for the usual post-Tarantino nihilism. Fassbender obviously doing an Eastwood homage, pulls it off. Occasionally sublime.
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby stefano » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:01 pm

I watched Sicario this week - fantastic. So beautifully shot, with all the aerial pans hinting at constant surveillance. And an awesome score, very atmospheric and very unusual, completely staying away from the usual Hollywood string arrangements. And a great plot. One of the better movies I've seen this year for sure.
stefano

Postby brekin » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:50 pm

My vote for best R.I.-ish film of 2015 (although released in 2008 I think.)

I think in many ways it is better than the Thing prequel/remake that came out.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:13 pm

brekin » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:50 pm wrote:

I have known few Philistines who can offend my aesthetic sensibilities as flagrantly as you.

I cannot help but admire the gesture of submitting a music video as superior -- albeit "in many ways" -- to a John Carpenter film.

Don't ever change.

Anyways. Just caught The Big Short and was surprised how much I loved it. They took all kinds of liberties to make it so entertaining, but it's more than the sum of its parts...really does the naked insanity of the CDO bubble justice.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:18 pm

What's the big tobacco angle on Star Wars?

And long as we're doing entertaining SF Neo-Noir trifles with "Big" in the title...

The Big Bang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwntbsRIYNs
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby brekin » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:10 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:13 pm wrote:
brekin » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:50 pm wrote:

I have known few Philistines who can offend my aesthetic sensibilities as flagrantly as you.
I cannot help but admire the gesture of submitting a music video as superior -- albeit "in many ways" -- to a John Carpenter film.

Don't ever change.

Ha, ha. Angry tiger lies heavy on the Buddhas mind clouding judgement. I was talking about the non-Carpenter Thing prequel/remake that came out in 2011.

The Thing (2011 film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_%282011_film%29

I don't consider myself even worthy to even talk about John Carpenter original. Do you?
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:12 pm

I do, but I also stand corrected, and frankly relieved. Hugely relieved.

I have been on a crusade through Every Horror Re-Make, very few gems to be found. Special mention to Michael Bay's training camp Platinum Dunes, a prolific source of mediocre content who managed to produce not a single decent film so far.

(Side note, I have been surprised how many people I talk to about this who don't realize Cronenberg's '86 rendition of The Fly was a itself a re-make.)

The 2011 iteration of The Thing was executed like a rich film student doing a boring project, which is to say like Gus Van Sant doing Psycho. Painful.

In related news, it's pretty weird to me that I've seen most of my favorite 2015 films in the past two weeks of my life. Something is very broken with the release cycle, yeah? I found a page-long list after I moved - a sheet of reminders, films I wanted to see in 2015. About half of that list isn't even out yet.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby DrEvil » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

A small reminder to the criminally inclined: It's Oscar season, which means it's screener season, which in turn means Jackpot!

Watched Straight Outta Compton yesterday and enjoyed it. Gonna watch The Big Short in a moment.

Arrrr!
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby RocketMan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:38 pm

Denis Villeneuve has some RI sensibilities for sure... Prisoners had a very weird undertone for a major studio release and Sicario was already discussed above. Sicario is his best thus far I think. Wonder what he'll do with Blade Runner 2. At least he's got Deakins lensing. :praybow
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Nordic » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:53 am

Anybody seen "Revenant" yet? I've always been fascinated by the original story which I read back in the 9th grade.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby semper occultus » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:59 am

brekin » 31 Dec 2015 20:10 wrote:I don't consider myself even worthy to even talk about John Carpenter original. Do you?

semper occultus

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie