FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Postby Jerky » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:54 am

So you think the anti-Magnitsky Act movie is the only place to go for the REAL truth about what happened in this case? You don't find anything fishy about it? and you don't get the funk of fish from the above "news report"?

It all seems pretty much of a piece with the usual style and progression of Russian disinfo techniques and campaigns to me. Up to and including the fact that US screenings were paid for by THIS pretty lady:

And this, only four days after her Trump Tower meeting with Trump Jr, Jared and the gang!

Does THAT raise any suspicions at all? Or does Putin get the benefit of the doubt here with some of you, AGAIN?

J
Jerky

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Jerky » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:58 am

I will also add my recommendation for The Borderlands. A great little horror flick, that's for sure.

Why is it that "found footage" horror movies never seem to get old? For me, at least. Every time I think I'm done with them, out comes another [REC], or another The Borderlands, to rekindle my love of the sub-genre.

Jerky
Jerky

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:17 pm

Found footage horror movies are pretty much the most tedious ones in a generally tedious genre. The most fun I ever had with one was a mean prank in which I snuck up behind the couch while two friends were watching, waited for the predictable moment when the bad thing was going to happen, and SCREEEEEEEAAAAMED. Probably still paying for it karmically, but man did they JUMP!!!

I liked two found footage movies: Chronicle and Cloverfield.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Jerky » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:55 pm

Have you seen [REC] and The Borderlands? Particularly the first. A truly powerful genre masterpiece. Heartily recommended.

J
Jerky

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:18 am

These are just not the sort of things I watch. I like costume films. Historicals & also historical or sociological-type SF. I pray that when the Marvel Universe falls, it will be replaced by the MHU, the Modern History Universe, with crossover plots and some of the same actors appearing in different films.

I realize that many horror premises are no more magical or unreal than most SF premises. It's what you do with them, I guess. Explore a question in a possibly interesting way, or torture some victim and her friends until she's the last one alive? I realize that describes Alien, which I always loved since seeing it in the theaters, but besides a big Vagina Dentata it had a Corporation, Labor, Management, a Computer, and a Bad Robot (revealed in the real climactic scene). It also got increasingly less interesting as the number of humans ran out. Anyway, in a just and reasoning universe the horror genre should have declared victory and wrapped itself up forever at Cabin in the Woods.

I also just realized that in my preferences I've unconsciously described the Kubrickian oeuvre. Saw some hilarious ad copy today about how "First Man" (what a fucking dumb title) does for space what "Saving Private Ryan" did for war. Ah, the immersive experience. I just don't know what I think about war, until I FEEL IT!!! Please! That is so damn embarrassing in a world with Paths to Glory and Full Metal Jacket in it. Come to think of it, watching Dr. Strangelove for the first time is kind of tops for immersive, real-time experience. Also a war film, right? The trailer for Last Man looks like total soap opera crap. I'd be more into an Apollo movie set at JPL. So I should finally watch Hidden Figures, but I fear the American Uplift.

Anyway, to stay on-topic, did we do Uncanny yet? That was so interesting, I watched it a second time the next day to pick up everything I'd missed. I'd love to write a review about what it really was about, but it would require spoilers.

Last edited by JackRiddler on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby Jerky » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:28 am

Write that review, spoilers and all, and I'll run it on my Media blog (if that's something you'd be interested in).

Cheers,
Jerky
Jerky

Postby Cordelia » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:43 am

JackRiddler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:17 am wrote:Found footage horror movies are pretty much the most tedious ones in a generally tedious genre. The most fun I ever had with one was a mean prank in which I snuck up behind the couch while two friends were watching, waited for the predictable moment when the bad thing was going to happen, and SCREEEEEEEAAAAMED. Probably still paying for it karmically, but man did they JUMP!!!

Reminded me I knew someone who knew Vincent Price and told a story that, while viewing 'The Pit and the Pendulum' w/him at a local theater, Price leaned forward in his seat to whisper (in his movie character's voice) to the woman seated in front of him: "Did you l like the film?". Story ended that she was so shocked she jumped out of her seat screaming.

The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby chump » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:36 pm

Pfhew, baby, f-f-fascinating! Thanks for finding those fun li’l facts - definitively farting that “funk of fish.”

Movie reviewer… or funky flounder?

Ir-r-rregardless of your political perspective,“The Magnitsky Act…” is Magnifigue! A very fine film - for a variety of reasons - a masterpiece of the complex puzzle, and a mini reveal of mainstream medias’ multi-faceted modus operandi for propaganda programming our public opinion; so yeah, ole Pal, your pissy post aptly portrays a plop in a plan of the Empires’ plot to split the planet and people apart… imo.

Anyway,

A Perfect Getaway was a grippy-trippy, little bit silly, learned to like it… liked it a lot, killer thriller.

chump

Postby Jerky » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:50 am

Has anyone here watched The Haunting of Hill House?

It gets a little confusing in terms of all the different actors playing the same characters over different age ranges, but it sorts itself out fairly quickly. The first half is exceedingly potent.

Modern horror films/TV shows are getting so good about grief.

Hereditary was a symphony of grief sheering through a family like a scythe. The Haunting of Hill House contains some impressive meditations on the lingering impact of death & regret on those it touches.

With the exception of King's Pet Sematary (the novel), I can't recall the genre ever being so sophisticated about these topics. And I think it's definitely a good thing that it's evolving in this way.

Jerky
Jerky

Postby DrEvil » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:33 pm

JackRiddler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:17 am wrote:Found footage horror movies are pretty much the most tedious ones in a generally tedious genre. The most fun I ever had with one was a mean prank in which I snuck up behind the couch while two friends were watching, waited for the predictable moment when the bad thing was going to happen, and SCREEEEEEEAAAAMED. Probably still paying for it karmically, but man did they JUMP!!!

I liked two found footage movies: Chronicle and Cloverfield.

There are a lot of shit found footage movies out there, but every now and then a good one comes along. Trollhunter is pretty entertaining, and The Atticus Institute, Noroi (I just realized I haven't mentioned it here in months!) and Occult are all good fake documentaries with a minimum of shaky cam. Noroi in particular is excellent.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:49 am

Oh yeah, Trollhunter was really good. First movie I ever saw where I immediately checked if the rights to a U.S. remake had been sold. (They had been, to the horrible Chris Columbus.) My problem really isn't with the found-footage or mockumentary forms but with the specific "Blair Witch" subspecies.

JackRiddler

Postby liminalOyster » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:15 pm

Seems indefensible in retrospect but the first Paranormal Activty (before an ugly franchise ensued) was a nice mix of hype, event and film. I'm sure it doesn't hold up but it was pretty great in theaters. His follow up Area 51 was panned (and largely rightly so) but had some super great moments with secret alien tech being imagined through a horror film lens.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby DrEvil » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:48 pm

^^I liked the first few paranormal activity movies. The babysitter scene from the third one still creeps me out just thinking about it.
Then of course it went downhill and off a cliff.

@Jack: Blair Witch sucked. Great hype, shit movie. Apparently there are still people who believe it was all real footage, usually the stupidly religious kind.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby chump » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Halloween? Heck! I’ve heard of The Haunting, House on the Hill, The House on the HIll, Legend of Hell House, and Hell House… but hell if I’ve heard of The Haunting of Hill House.

-
:starz:
-
chump

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:00 pm

2018 list: http://www.brainsturbator.com/posts/441 ... rror-films

I would recommend The Borderlands to people who disdain the genre of found footage horror, for sure. Something special about that one.
Wombaticus Rex

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie