FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: Documentary of a certain quality

Postby Cordelia » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:29 pm

Listened to an interview w/researcher, musician and co-producer Stevie Salas; looking forward to viewing:

/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni7fAqjA0BE
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:21 am

Thanks for posting the video, Cordelia. I bookmarked it, but forgot all about posting it.

"Rumble," "The Most Dangerous Commie Music In America"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHW4MMLDjI0

NY Times Review of "Rumble" :

"Rumble" Gives Due to Unheralded Native American Pop Musicians
July 25, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/25/movies/rumble-the-indians-who-rocked-the-world-review.html

An Encore for the Native Americans Who Shook Up Rock 'n' Roll
July 31, 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/31/arts/music/native-americans-rock-n-roll-documentary-rumble-indians-who-rocked-the-world.html
Iamwhomiam

Postby Cordelia » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:23 am

You’re welcome Iam; below is the link to the interview w/Salas; worth reading/listening.

Music
August 6, 20177:14 AM ET

'Rumble' Celebrates Rock 'N' Roll's Native American Roots

Rock musician and Native American music pioneer Stevie Salas performing in Germany in 2010. Salas served as executive producer on Rumble, which he was also featured in.

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/06/541676283 ... ican-roots

P.S. Thank you for the review links & Youtube of 'Rumble'!

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Cordelia » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:03 pm

1968 Hendrix tribute to his Cherokee roots..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cafiquzi5vE

Cordelia

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:14 pm

You're welcome, Cordelia, and thank you for the link to the NPR interview with Salas. Never before heard or even knew about Hendrix's unreleased tribute to his ancestral Cherokee roots, so thanks for that, too.

Here's a 40+ minute documentary with and about Warren Zevon's last days and the recording of his last record during this time.

(Don't be fooled by its exaggerated time stamp, it ends at 43:27; all else is redundant.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErZeVea1z7E

(Couldn't figure out which documentary thread it more properly belong in.)
Iamwhomiam

Postby Cordelia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:13 am

^^^
Iamwhomiam wrote:
(Couldn't figure out which documentary thread it more properly belong in.)

Reminded this week about a trailer I found intriguing and 'uncertain' about which documentary thread to post. Have it saved on Netflix so it may be available soon, sometime, or never.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAroh5fHW9A

Cordelia

Postby liminalOyster » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:39 pm

DrEvil » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:31 pm wrote:
RocketMan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:06 pm wrote:Came across a little something RI...

http://www.slashfilm.com/a-dark-song-re ... ore-376120

‘A Dark Song’ Makes Occult Magic Scary (and Human) Again [Fantastic Fest Review]

If your average horror movie is an indication, the occult is a piece of cake. Grab a dusty old tome from your local library, pick up a Ouija board, light a candle or two and voila! You’re ready to open a portal, summon a demon, or cleanse a house of a vengeful spirit. Genre movies have a habit of making magic look easy and convenient. Either anyone can do it, or an exposition-spouting expert is just a quick phone call away.

A Dark Song isn’t that kind of movie. Writer/director Liam Gavin has made a movie where black magic isn’t just dangerous and a good way endanger your soul – it’s also really, really difficult and it takes a long time. Here is a movie about a single dark ritual that takes place over the course of six months.

Set almost entirely in an isolated Welsh country home, A Dark Song follows Sophia (Catherine Walker) as she hires a bitter and anti-social occultist named Joseph (Steve Oram) to assist her in a dangerous black magic ritual that, if successful, will grant them their heart’s desire. Joseph lays every card on the table: once the house is in encircled in salt and the ritual has begun, they cannot leave under any circumstance. They will endure physical and mental suffering. They will fast and pray and draw meticulous symbols in chalk. They will slowly find themselves out of step with reality as various other planes of existence bleed into theirs, bringing all kinds of unwelcome guests. And most importantly, Sophia and Joseph will have to learn to live with each other — a task easier said than done for a woman with more than a few dark secrets and a man who simply doesn’t enjoy the company of other humans.

Just a quick heads up: This movie is now available in the usual places (wink wink). Will be watching it tonight.

Watched last night and was pleasantly surprised by how comparably** authentic this felt, based on my limited but passable knowledge of occultism.

Joseph Solomon: You've been looking shit up on the Internet. No, this is Gnosticism.
Sophia Howard: I was told it was based on the Kabbalah.
Joseph Solomon: It's there as grammar. A structure. The Kabbalah is an exploration of god. We're doing something much darker...

Apparently the director carefully changed aspects of the central ritual because he wanted to protect potential imitators? I'm amused in a way by certain parallels to the ending of True Detective S1 and how much more convincing this resolution is. Plus its always an easy point to score when a film represents magick or the occult but abstains from any kind of "derp, see what happens when you mess with dark forces" caution.

Some problems for sure but overall recommended.

** Just to be clear, the bar is obviously extremely low.....
Last edited by liminalOyster on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby DrEvil » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:32 pm

^^Confession time: I haven't actually gotten round to watching it yet. I started it but was too tired to finish, so it's still on my to-watch list. I did just watch (and like) this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V0hlyv6sss
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:03 am

Anyone here seen Mother! yet? I'm getting hopeful based on the particular hyperbole of the reviews, Aronofsky'e past high points, sounding similarities to Weekend and the Book of Genesis themes I've heard just a tiny bit about.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby Cordelia » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:38 pm

^^^
Based on everything I’ve read, I’m going to pass on seeing it, though what I’ve read about the film’s allegorical meanings is interesting. I learned from watching some of Lars von Trier,’s ‘Anti Christ’ that it's best (for me) not to push through very graphic, violent and probably triggering film footage.

From the V.F. ‘analysis’ of 'Mother!', interviews and spoilers article linked below:

“Aronfsky referred to the final 25-minute opus—a disturbing escalation of violent images—as “one of my best accomplishments, just because it’s a nightmare. It just builds and builds on top of documenting the horrors of our world, and throws a pregnant woman into it.”

Mother!’s Ending: What Does It All Mean?

All of your burning questions about the Darren Aronofsky-directed horror movie, answered.

By Julie Miller

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... -explained

I liked ‘Pi”, found ‘Requiem for a Dream’ horrifically brilliant, hated ‘Black Swan’, gave up on ‘The Fountain’ but haven’t seen Aronofsky's other films.

(I wonder if Javier Bardem’s role in 'Mother' was first offered to Bradley Cooper. :roll: )

Cordelia

Postby chump » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:04 pm

Whoa!!

Brave New Hollywood
Published on Mar 6, 2015
Jack O'Connell and Sam Reid in war drama 71 movie trailer, set in Northern Ireland, starring Jack O'Connell and Sam Reid about a British soldier seperated from his unit, finding himself the middle of riots in Belfast circa 1971. Genre: war, action, drama - HD.

A young and disoriented British soldier is accidentally abandoned by his unit following a riot on the deadly streets of Belfast in 1971.

Director: Yann Demange
Writer: Gregory Burke (screenplay)

Stars: Jack O'Connell, Sam Reid, Sean Harris
chump

Postby lucky » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:11 am

Anyone watch any of the Amazon produced series e.g. Preacher, the path, long strange trip (a must for Dead heads), Sneaky pete, American Gods, The Man in the High Castle, Falling water. Not all as good as each other but some gems and I enjoyed all the above - binge watching most.

Oh and Braindead is a scream
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Postby chump » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Why Him was hillarious!!

https://youtu.be/qksQSt8K830
chump

Postby DrEvil » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:25 pm

lucky » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:11 pm wrote:Anyone watch any of the Amazon produced series e.g. Preacher, the path, long strange trip (a must for Dead heads), Sneaky pete, American Gods, The Man in the High Castle, Falling water. Not all as good as each other but some gems and I enjoyed all the above - binge watching most.

Oh and Braindead is a scream

Braindead was fun, but I thought it fell off a bit towards the end. I would have liked a little more on the scifi bit and a little less on the political satire. The scifi kind of just disappeared halfway through. Unfortunately the show got cancelled. The plan was for several seasons in different settings, the next one being Hollywood.

On Amazon I would also recommend 'Fortitude'. Kind of a Twin Peaks vibe, set in a fictional town on Svalbard. Strange murders, stranger people, shamans, polar bears, frozen mammoths, angry fishermen and Russian coverups.

'Goliath' and 'Bosch' are also excellent crime dramas.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby lucky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:47 am

Fortitude - excellent 1 and 2 we had them on the teevee over here before they got to pay per view. Agree with Braindead. JUst finished Game of Silence - similar to Sleepers. Pretty brutal at times but story a bit up n down.
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie