FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Postby DrEvil » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:02 pm

I recently watched a very good (but very long, 2h 37m) South Korean horror drama: 'The Wailing'.
Strange murders start happening in a small village and the bumbling police sergeant has to investigate.

Another South Korean movie I would highly recommend is 'Memories of Murder'. It's about the police investigation of South Korea's first serial killer, and it takes place in the eighties when it's still a military dictatorship.

Also just finished 'Logan' which was surprisingly good considering how shit X-Men Apocalypse was.

And since I can't be bothered to find the TV thread: Better Call Saul just started airing and Fargo starts next week!!!!!!111!!! :yay
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Cordelia » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:47 pm

I rented 'Paterson' from the local Redbox yesterday (like finding a gem in a dumpster). Directed by Jim Jarmusch. I'm not even halfway through, so have no idea where it will go, or how it will end, but I love this film and want to savor watching it. So far, it's been a meditative antidote to following this week's soul-killing News. Poetic, multilayered portraits of the rich & creative inner (and outer) worlds of 'ordinary' people, 'ordinary' lives,' ordinary', places. Great supporting characters along with a dog. :thumbsup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8pGJBgiiDU
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:58 pm

Thanks for that, Cordelia. I had passed on it, having been in Paterson once long ago.
I don't usually read reviews before seeing a film because I don't want to be influenced by the reviewer's opinion. Your remarks have convinced me it's worth my while watching.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Cordelia » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:34 am

Iamwhomiam » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:58 pm wrote:Thanks for that, Cordelia. I had passed on it, having been in Paterson once long ago.
I don't usually read reviews before seeing a film because I don't want to be influenced by the reviewer's opinion. Your remarks have convinced me it's worth my while watching.

Hope you like it. I recommended it to a friend who's a poet but he said he didn't think so; he'd been to Paterson (and used to live in N.J.). More the reason to see it! :wink

(Def. one I'll get from Amazon when it's available used and the price comes down.)

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:09 pm

As suggested by 8bit, I just watched National Bird and recommend it. At least one of the drone attacks we had discussed here when it was news. It's not a feel good movie and may leave you wondering about the recent MOAB attack after considering some of the Afghani comments towards the end.
Iamwhomiam

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:07 am

been awhile since RI has discussed "woo", discovered this new trailer for an upcoming documentary about hidden UFO/alien accounts, whistleblowers
and the theory of one day having a "false flag UFO invasion". Strangely enough being distributed my mainstream indie film company The Orchard
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:09 am

Cordelia » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:47 pm wrote:I rented 'Paterson' from the local Redbox yesterday (like finding a gem in a dumpster). Directed by Jim Jarmusch. I'm not even halfway through, so have no idea where it will go, or how it will end, but I love this film and want to savor watching it. So far, it's been a meditative antidote to following this week's soul-killing News. Poetic, multilayered portraits of the rich & creative inner (and outer) worlds of 'ordinary' people, 'ordinary' lives,' ordinary', places. Great supporting characters along with a dog. :thumbsup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8pGJBgiiDU

I LOVE Jim Jarmauch, just recently rewatched my fave film of his(Mystery Train), but for some reason I couldn't get into Paterson. Much as I love quiet small town Americana type films like
Nebraska, Station Agent, Straight Story, etc. Been having a big Jarmauch and Wim Wenders marathon lately. HIGHLY recommend Jarmauch's Limit Of Control
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby brekin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:24 pm

Making my way through movies inspired/adapted by the novel The Haunting of Hill House.

The Haunting of Hill House
The Haunting of Hill House is a 1959 novel by American author Shirley Jackson. Finalist for the National Book Award and considered one of the best literary ghost stories published during the 20th century,[1] it has been made into two feature films and a play. Jackson's novel relies on terror rather than horror to elicit emotion by the reader, utilizing complex relationships between the mysterious events in the house and the characters’ psyches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Haunt ... Hill_House

House on Haunted Hill (1958)

House on Haunted Hill (1999)

Return to House on Haunted Hill (2007)

The Haunting (1963)

The Haunting (1999 film)

The Legend of Hell House (1973)

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Cordelia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:15 pm

^^^ I've only seen the very memorable1963 version and the (forgotten) 1999 remake. Julie Harris as 'Eleanor' was pretty irritating imo, though I found Claire Bloom's 'Theo' well worth watching and the tension that develops between the two women mirrors the developing haunting of the house.Still a great film, I thought the last time I saw it; probably 15 years ago,

If you like Shirley Jackson's writing, I highly recommend her short story 'The Lottery', https://sites.middlebury.edu/individual ... ottery.pdf It's been adapted for several film versions, but I haven't (and probably won't) see them.

Cordelia

Postby brekin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Cordelia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:15 pm wrote:^^^ I've only seen the very memorable1963 version and the (forgotten) 1999 remake. Julie Harris as 'Eleanor' was pretty irritating imo, though I found Claire Bloom's 'Theo' well worth watching and the tension that develops between the two women mirrors the developing haunting of the house.Still a great film, I thought the last time I saw it; probably 15 years ago,

If you like Shirley Jackson's writing, I highly recommend her short story 'The Lottery', https://sites.middlebury.edu/individual ... ottery.pdf It's been adapted for several film versions, but I haven't (and probably won't) see them.

I've seen the 1958, 1999, 1973 so far. They each have their plusses and minuses. The 1973 The Legend of Hell House has great visuals, score and actors, but it is kind of The Keep of the bunch. Plotting and story a little too meandering.

Yeah, The Lottery was great, use to be required high school reading if I recall.
Quite a few variants of it now. Especially in teen dystopian films.

Like your taste :thumbsup
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Cordelia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:57 pm

^^^
I remember the 1963 version made big news for the newest in visual technology--the swelling of doors and esp. the face 'aging'. There was even a spread in 'Life Magazine'. :wink

Cordelia

Postby Cordelia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:07 pm

8bitagent » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:09 am wrote:
I LOVE Jim Jarmauch, just recently rewatched my fave film of his(Mystery Train), but for some reason I couldn't get into Paterson. Much as I love quiet small town Americana type films like
Nebraska, Station Agent, Straight Story, etc. Been having a big Jarmauch and Wim Wenders marathon lately. HIGHLY recommend Jarmauch's Limit Of Control

My favorite Jarmauch film is still 'Stranger Than Paradise', especially the Eva character, carrying around her cassette player and listening to Screamin' Jay Hawkins,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sNGHEhb3ZI

Cordelia

Postby DrEvil » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:31 pm

RocketMan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:06 pm wrote:Came across a little something RI...

http://www.slashfilm.com/a-dark-song-re ... ore-376120

‘A Dark Song’ Makes Occult Magic Scary (and Human) Again [Fantastic Fest Review]

If your average horror movie is an indication, the occult is a piece of cake. Grab a dusty old tome from your local library, pick up a Ouija board, light a candle or two and voila! You’re ready to open a portal, summon a demon, or cleanse a house of a vengeful spirit. Genre movies have a habit of making magic look easy and convenient. Either anyone can do it, or an exposition-spouting expert is just a quick phone call away.

A Dark Song isn’t that kind of movie. Writer/director Liam Gavin has made a movie where black magic isn’t just dangerous and a good way endanger your soul – it’s also really, really difficult and it takes a long time. Here is a movie about a single dark ritual that takes place over the course of six months.

Set almost entirely in an isolated Welsh country home, A Dark Song follows Sophia (Catherine Walker) as she hires a bitter and anti-social occultist named Joseph (Steve Oram) to assist her in a dangerous black magic ritual that, if successful, will grant them their heart’s desire. Joseph lays every card on the table: once the house is in encircled in salt and the ritual has begun, they cannot leave under any circumstance. They will endure physical and mental suffering. They will fast and pray and draw meticulous symbols in chalk. They will slowly find themselves out of step with reality as various other planes of existence bleed into theirs, bringing all kinds of unwelcome guests. And most importantly, Sophia and Joseph will have to learn to live with each other — a task easier said than done for a woman with more than a few dark secrets and a man who simply doesn’t enjoy the company of other humans.

Just a quick heads up: This movie is now available in the usual places (wink wink). Will be watching it tonight.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby KUAN » Wed May 03, 2017 6:20 pm

KUAN

Postby JackRiddler » Wed May 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Haven't seen it, intrigued. Anybody?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk1HosLWM0o
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie