FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Postby Searcher08 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:04 pm

"The Horde" is a 2012 historical film directed by Andrei Proshkin and written by Yury Arabov. The film is a narrative of how Saint Alexius healed Taidula Khatun, the mother of the Golden Horde khan Jani Beg from blindness.

Brilliantly shot, a window into a world that is probably more alien to most people here than that of Dune.
Searcher08

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Grizzly » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:54 pm

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby lucky » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Cordelia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:57 pm wrote:Just started reading 'Never Let Me Go', Kazuo Ishiguro's dystopian novel about a group of children raised at a mysterious English boarding school called 'Hailsham'. I saw the film adaptation several years ago and it's one of the most powerful films I'll never watch again. Just too heartbreaking, about the human cost of science and medicine. Strong, poignant performances, especially actor Andrew Garfield's Tommy D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXiRZhDEo8A

WoW - Some films have that magic something that creates an atmosphere throughout as is the case in this gem but the feelings it evokes are so mixed but the underlying sadness, played or rather underplayed so Poignantly by the protagonists is a wonderful thing, a beautiful piece of cinema that I would have missed were it not for this thread : ))
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:38 pm

The "Oklahoma City" documentary is superb, and 2 hours long.

Note, however, there's also a "Ruby Ridge" documentary that got released, and consists almost entirely of the same footage in the OKC documentary.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:42 pm

Interesting, "These events are all connected..." but then they create a fairy tale to tell you what those connections are without revealing their true connection tying the stings together to their source, the originators of the deception.

Look at the reaction and consequential cash flow to security and intelligence services that followed, but never deterred the 911 plot.

Here's one of our local benefits:

( http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?p=527797#p527797 )
Last edited by Iamwhomiam on Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iamwhomiam

Postby chump » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:05 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:38 pm wrote:The "Oklahoma City" documentary is superb, and 2 hours long.

Note, however, there's also a "Ruby Ridge" documentary that got released, and consists almost entirely of the same footage in the OKC documentary.

Piece of shit pile of propaganda, imo
chump

Postby stefano » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:46 am

The Neon Demon is some high-quality stuff. Highly recommended - in fact I feel I should watch it again. Proper cinema with the camera playing an important role.
stefano

Postby Cordelia » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:53 pm

lucky » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:06 pm wrote:
Cordelia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:57 pm wrote:Just started reading 'Never Let Me Go', Kazuo Ishiguro's dystopian novel about a group of children raised at a mysterious English boarding school called 'Hailsham'. I saw the film adaptation several years ago and it's one of the most powerful films I'll never watch again. Just too heartbreaking, about the human cost of science and medicine. Strong, poignant performances, especially actor Andrew Garfield's Tommy D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXiRZhDEo8A

WoW - Some films have that magic something that creates an atmosphere throughout as is the case in this gem but the feelings it evokes are so mixed but the underlying sadness, played or rather underplayed so Poignantly by the protagonists is a wonderful thing, a beautiful piece of cinema that I would have missed were it not for this thread : ))

Sorry that I didn't include warning that film (and novel) could be triggering to survivors because it's about dispensable people.

The film is a faithful adaptation of the novel, which is beautifully written; one scene, not included in the film, evokes a brilliant, dreamlike image. Both the novel & film remind me of Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' in that reading & viewing once is a powerful experience I don't want to re-visit.

I think it's unusual when a film adaptation outshines its source material but another arresting drama (set within an entirely different social strata than 'The Road' or 'Never Let Me Go':)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZLcb3wijC8

The charisma & physicality of Jeff Bridge's performance as a philandering, alcoholic, misogynistic author of children's books is exceptional; well acted by all with moments of comic genius woven within tragedy....... fwiw
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Nordic » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:29 pm

stefano » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:46 am wrote:The Neon Demon is some high-quality stuff. Highly recommended - in fact I feel I should watch it again. Proper cinema with the camera playing an important role.

I'll have to disagree with you there. Although visually spectacular, with a few moments of inspired Lynchian surrealness, it should have been 30 minutes, max. Personally I was disappointed.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:43 pm

"Evolution" should be equally divisive -- gorgeous, dream logic, baffling.

I strongly suspect its release has been delayed because Gore Verbinski wanted to make A Cure For Wellness, which seems more than slightly, uh....inspired, shall we say.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Nordic » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:55 pm

If anyone was was wondering about "Logan", I saw it the other night with my 14 year old boy and we both liked it a lot.

Very dark, savage, not like your usual Marvel movie at all. Definitely the best of the Wolverines movies by quite a margin.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:00 pm

I realize I'm responding to a temporarily banned poster but the trailer for Logan was really quite intriguing and it gave me the impression of being a very unusual entry to the superhero genre. There's another batch of six or ten comic-book blockbusters coming this season and they all look dreadful, and all reduxes of the same old thing wherein everyone bridges their diversity and overcomes their differences to team up against the single god-like world-destroyer with many explosions and then the big final swirl in which the villain, having assumed all powers of the universe, suddenly must say: you dare? what? my omnipotence has been pentrated?! No, noooooooooo!!! etc. etc. (The first Marvel-produced Spider-Man might work to finally capture the actual nerd-loser spirit of the Ditko comics however.) So the Logan thingie really suggests something a lot deeper, with aging and loss and family and death and sadness and skepticism about the whole hero nonsense and no necessary happy ending in the mix. Now if it didn't also suggest convoys of 400 super-soldiers at a time coming to grab a single super and being ripped apart for 20 deafening epilepsy-inducing minutes...

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:58 pm

Nordic got banned again?!

I enjoy watching historical documentaries and history-based novels adapted for film. The flick recommended by Searcher at the top of the page has a weak storyline and is terrible in every way, even if it has a few picturesque scenes. There are far better documentaries to watch if this genre is of your liking.

Simply a difference of opinion, nothing more.

Cordelia, thanks for sharing Never Let Me Go

"...it's one of the most powerful films I'll never watch again."

Looks like one of the disturbingly unforgettable films that once watched, you wish you could forget, but I've bookmarked it and will watch it.

Mr. WRex, Evolution, a film or television show? I couldn't find anything related to a film by Verbinski being in production, but one, a French film with that title from 2015 or 2016 sure looks creepy:

Maybe as creepy as A Cure for Wellness:

Forgot to add this for Rex, et al:

Gore Verbinski opens up about his Hollywood hiatus, finding 'A Cure for Wellness' and sock puppets
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-a-cure-for-wellness-gore-verbinski-20170216-story.html
Iamwhomiam

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:11 pm

To be clear, I'm saying that Verbinski's "Cure For Wellness" was heavily inspired by his viewing of "Evolution," which had nothing to do with making.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:52 pm

I see. My apologies for my misunderstanding. I thought you might have enjoyed the article.
Iamwhomiam

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie