The Amazing Rita Katz and S.I.T.E.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Amazing Rita Katz and S.I.T.E.

Postby barracuda » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:24 am

AlicetheKurious wrote:"The output of IntelCenter" itself strongly implicates Israel by the content and purpose of its fabrications, which precisely reflect the content and purpose of the disinformation that Israeli state propaganda has been disseminating for decades.
So in sum, as I've outlined in my previous post, the clue you insist on pretending doesn't exist is the very combination of signature Mossad false-flag tactics used to corroborate a letter-perfect Israeli propaganda version of reality.

This is circular logic. The "content and purpose" of IntelCenter's output only verifies a Mossad signature if you believe that only Israel rather than the United States benefits from that disinformation in the first place. You seem to feel the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan "make no sense at all from any American point of view", because they cost so much, but the beneficiaries of those military contracts (to name a rather obvious group) who have earned untold billions in profits from those wars might be inclined to disagree.

1. KBR Inc. (Haliburton)
    2. Veritas Capital Fund
    3. Washington Group International (WNG, news, msgs)
    4. Environmental Chemical
    5. International American Products
    6. Fluor (FLR, news, msgs)
    7. Perini (PCR, news, msgs)
    8. Parsons
    9. First Kuwaiti General Trading & Contracting
    10. L-3 Communications

All of whom undoubtably spent some time whispering into the hairy earholes of their favored politicos. Maybe if you scour the board of directors of some of these corporations, you might find an Israeli or two, but so far, I haven't spotted the trend. Lots of people have garnered money, influence and power from the wars. Certainly not only, or even mostly, Israel.

As for none of the leads I've offered "panning out", I made one erroneous assertion out of probably dozens in this thread. Does that count as "none"?

Well, let's examine that. As far as IntelCenter goes, you've offered:

- The CFO article.

- The idea that one of the three founders of a somewhat distantly related company, RSA, is an Israeli, so he must be Mossad, and

- The idea that the stories disseminated by IntelCenter favor Israeli interests, and only Israeli interests, so they must be Mossad.

None of which really carries the day for me yet. I'm not seeing a pattern.

I think you need to re-read my previous post. You're implying that the only argument I presented is that Venzke, Melnick and Katz are Jewish. If that's all you registered, you need to see a doctor about that blind spot.

Regarding Venzke, I'm not sensing the scotoma, but I am trying to understand what I see. At the moment, I'm willing to stipulate to the SITE theory, mostly because I can just barely keep up with a few of the bits of string leading to IntelCenter. And I don't mean to hijack your thread by ignoring your best evidence (which is Katz' being the daughter of an Israeli spy), but I think you'll agree that IntelCenter shares a huge amount of blame for the spread of these misleading stories.

I must have missed the part where IntelCenter has been shown to be using Jewish converts.

Yes, you must have.

Okay, but I find it hard to lay the blame for the popularity of Adam Gadahn at the door of IntelCenter. By the time of that 2010 video release you are citing, Gadahn had been worked for all he was worth by a variety of official government and news sources, including United States Attorney General John Ashcroft, FBI Director Robert Mueller and ABC News in 2004, as well as Deputy Attorney General Paul McNulty and Good Morning America in 2005, so IntelCenter has got to be seen as a bit of a step down career-wise for the guy.

As far as the Niger yellowcake dossier goes, that Daily Kos article is a good read, but I've seen equally convincing stories that frame the forgeries as the production of Ahmed Chalabi with former CIA, or by the Italians via SISME, or even an in-house job here in the States. It doesn't really matter, though, because everyone from Cheney on down to my dog knew damn well they were shallow fakes, and yet State and the WHIG latched on to them like white on Uncle Ben's Coverted Rice. Why? Because they fit the needs of American policy, as distinct from Israeli policy. Unless, of course you can show that the Israelis were pushing Dick Cheney around and making him do something he didn't want to, or can articulate more clearly why you think the wars serve no beneficial home-grown American purpose.

barracuda wrote:I can think of any number of reasons these wars not only make complete sense from an American point of view, but really are so completely typical of US strategic goals dating from before the cold war and beyond that I honestly can't figure out exactly why you'd make such a statement.

Instead of "thinking" of all those reasons, you might try posting them (a simple list will do to begin with) so they can be given the ol' peer review.

I don't think I will, or really need to any more than I already have. The dissection of my ideas in that regard can't possibly be all that useful to the core of the thread. My rhetorical point there was to ask if anyone reading here agreed with your assertion that, "...these wars make no sense at all from any American point of view." And it would hardly be the end of the world if you were the only one who felt that way. But so far, no takers.

JackRiddler wrote: Forget it.

I know, I know. If this goes on much longer, just throw an occasional bucket of water on me from the corner.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:08 am

Katz sure looks like at least informally Mossad from here, but SITE as one of hundreds of components in the propaganda machinery merely provides a useful but dispensable service to the maintenance of the official line on "al-Qaeda." Their competitors can fill in the gap if they shut down. SITE should be exposed for their role in the propaganda machinery, of course, but are they even producing the laughable videos, or only first to receive the tip-off that the latest is online? The pro-Israeli neocons are an important faction within what is usefully called the American war party. Reduce that to Mossad control, and you're letting off the rest of the war party (like that fat and international list of MIC profiteers, not to mention the geostrategic policy wankers and the homeland terror industrialists) and distorting the big picture. Besides what it looks like the motivation for such a reduction might be.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby AlicetheKurious » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 am

JackRiddler wrote:Besides what it looks like the motivation for such a reduction might be.

Hello! I've been waiting and waiting for the inevitable slur and had just about given up when JackRiddler popped in to deliver it.

barracuda wrote:I'm not seeing a pattern.

Pattern: 1. an arrangement of repeated or corresponding parts, decorative motifs, etc: although the notes seemed random, a careful listener could detect a pattern

Maybe you're not seeing a pattern because:

1) You keep insisting that each individual outfit like IntelCenter and SITE and other purveyors of fabricated "terror" threats must be examined in isolation, without reference to all the others just like them which act in tandem to echo and amplify each other's message;

2) You do not acknowledge that this message, in fact, is indistinguishable from all Israeli and zionist propaganda about Muslims and Arabs since before the state of Israel even existed, and inexplicably ascribe it to homegrown American sources independent of Israeli influence, even though this contradicts all the available evidence about how subservience to the zionist agenda has become a prerequisite for achieving any position of influence in the American establishment (including the Pentagon);

3) You ignore the obvious fact that the rise to prominence of Israeli agents within the highest policy-making levels in the U.S. has been accompanied by America's rapid decline and Israel's equally rapid rise in terms of both military power and economic prosperity. This is a winning formula for Israel and a losing formula for its "patron" the United States. That the United States continues to be committed to such a self-destructive path defies logic, unless the well-documented role of zionist influence is factored in, which you simply refuse to do.

4) You pretend that it's normal for a military superpower like the United States to be relying on dubious contractors with links to a foreign country for intelligence gathering and for training its own agents. From that perspective, IntelCenter and SITE and other, similar outfits like the Israeli Targeted Actionable Monitoring Center, who are paid a lot of US taxpayer money to issue reports like this typical one, are really unconnected with each other and the Israeli link is totally irrelevant:

ITRR Warns Of Possible Large Scale Terror Attack
national | 7/18/2008 |

The following information has been communicated to National Terror Alert. There has been no confirmation from U.S. Intelligence, Law Enforcement or Dept. of Homeland Security sources regarding the credibility or seriousness of this threat at this time.

An increased state of alertness is urged. Please report any and all suspicious behavior to local law enforcement or the FBI.

Date: 16 July 2008; 1530

Targeted Actionable Monitoring Center (TAM-C) of the Institute of Terrorism Research and Respone:

Intent: To advise of an increased likelihood of large scale terror attack based on credible intercepted communications.

Threat Classification

SEVERE (Level 2) – Available intelligence and recent events indicate that terrorists have an established capability and current intent to mount an attack on the target and there is some additional information on the nature of the threat. It is assessed that an attack on the target is a priority for the terrorists and is likely to be mounted.

Justifications:

Arab language researchers of the Targeted Actionable Monitoring Center have intercepted communications from an organization closely associated with international terrorists, to include al Qaeda.

Previously intercepted communications from this organization has been proven over time to be reliable.

The communications indicated:

• Jihadist terror cells have been dispatched to an undisclosed location to execute a large scale attack.
• The report calls on everyone to pray for the operation’s success.
• For the reason of OpSec, the terrorist organization was not releasing this location of the attack

An analysis of this threat leads the TAM-C to believe that the large attack may include the Perisan Gulf states or Turkey.

Such an analysis is based on earlier communications isolating these regions and the need to target westerners or governments that support the United States in these regions.

Conclusion: This is a clear threat on an imminent attack, and all ITRR clients should take this threat seriously.

Security management professionals are encouraged to immediately assess their preparedness to detect, deter, mitigate, and respond to an act of terror.

Clients of the Targeted Actionable Monitoring Center have received detailed information and the relevant client case workers will receive information as intelligence unfolds.

Timeline: Through 06 August 2008

The Institute of Terrorism Research and Response (ITRR) is an American and Israeli nonprofit corporation created to help organizations succeed and prosper in a world influenced by terrorism.

ITRR’s Israeli and American experts provide counter-terrorism training, seminars, and security specialization in dealing with threats such as Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD), suicide bombers, and other forms of international terror striking both the public and private sector.
ITRR’s US-based terror experts provide training seminars and expertise in dealing with domestic terrorism and eco-terror groups, including the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) and the Earth Liberation Front (ELF).

The Institute of Terrorism Research and Response established the Targeted Actionable Monitoring Center (TAM-C) to provide accurate and actionable intelligence about potential security threats throughout the world. With a multilingual team of researchers and analysts, TAM-C gathers and provides intelligence on terrorist activities and plans, information on international hot-spots, historical “red-flag” dates, and real-time security alerts.

Operating under the auspices and with the resources of TAM-C, the Ground Truth Network leverages the ITRR’s international contacts and sources to provide real-time intelligence from the field. In this way, the Ground Truth Network keeps international corporations apprised of threats to their assets and personnel throughout the world. Link

Imagine. Pardon the vulgarity, but I've seen more valuable and accurate "reports" than this one come out of my dog's ass. Some really interesting info on ITRR's espionage activities in the US here, including this quote from ITRR's own website:

All of the information ITRR's staff creates is sent to its monitoring center in Jerusalem, where it is analyzed and verified with other local sources.

The Phildelphia Inquirer quotes a former top aide to Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell wondering why ITRR was given a no-bid contract to work for the state, when the state was perfectly capable of doing the work itself for less money.

5) As I've pointed out and demonstrated repeatedly, it is Israel, not the United States, that has a verifiable record of typically using Jewish agents to carry out false-flag operations designed to provoke Western "retaliation" against Israel's wish-list of Arab and Muslim targets, including those I listed in previous posts and many, many others. The use of Gadahn/Pearlman, al-Khattab/Cohen and the others fits seamlessly within the classic pattern of zionist false-flag operations going back to pre-state times and is a "signature" of Israeli intelligence. Just in case someone's unfamiliar with this classic example as well:

IN FEBRUARY 1986 Israeli Mossad operatives installed a “Trojan” communications device on the top floor of an apartment house in Tripoli, Libya. The six-foot-long device was able to receive messages on one frequency and automatically rebroadcast the same message on a different frequency—in this case, one used by the government of Libya.

Israeli naval commandos arriving in miniature submarines in the middle of the night had delivered the Trojan, only seven inches in diameter, to the lone Mossad agent in Tripoli, who drove a rented van to their rendezvous point on a deserted beach outside Tripoli. The agent, along with four of the commandos, then took the Trojan to an apartment building in the Libyan capital where he had rented the top floor, and installed the device. By March the Trojan was broadcasting a series of “terrorist” orders to Libyan embassies around the world.

These messages were picked up by Spain, France and the United States. Thinking it odd that normally cautious Libya suddenly would become so careless, France and Spain took them to be fake. The U.S., however, accepted the broadcasts as real—especially since Washington was assured by Israel that they were indeed genuine.

The foregoing account is taken from The Other Side of Deception, the second of two books written by former Mossad case officer Victor Ostrovsky after he left Israel’s foreign intelligence service.

Less than two months after the Trojan was installed, on April 5, 1986, the La Belle nightclub in then-West Berlin was bombed, killing two American soldiers and a Turkish woman. At the same time a false “success” signal was sent, apparently from the device in Tripoli.

“False-flagged” by Israel, President Ronald Reagan on April 14 sent American bombers from Britain and from U.S. aircraft carriers in the Mediterranean to strike Tripoli and Benghazi, killing 101 people, including the adopted young daughter of Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi when his house in Tripoli was bombed.

Operation Trojan was one of Mossad’s “great successes,” Ostrovsky wrote. By ingenious sleight of hand it had made an oil-rich and noncompliant Arab state look bad, and enhanced Mossad’s prestige and image of power—at the cost of its “ally,” the United States. Link

Bottom line: America is a global military, economic and political superpower with enormous and diverse resources at its disposal for promoting its interests around the world. These include a formidable capacity to use both "soft" and "hard" power, from diplomatic and intelligence and cultural and economic tools all the way to the costliest and least practical military options, which it would need to use only as a last resort.

Israel, in contrast, is a pariah state that is economically, militarily and politically dependent on support from a succession of superpowers of which the U.S. is but the latest and in fact the only current superpower. In order to promote its own interests and even survival, Israel's only real weapon is the ability to subvert, corrupt and manipulate its "patron" into deploying America's power on behalf of Israel's objectives even when this comes at a terrible cost to the United States. Israel's ultimate objective, as I've said before, is to re-create the Middle East as a series of fragmented, weak, permanently warring ethnic statelets whose vital natural resources are controlled by Israel and which Israel plans to use to expand its presence as a global superpower in its own right. By then, it won't matter if the US is nothing but a broken, gutted shadow of what it was.

I could understand your skepticism, barracuda, if we were still living in the 80s or even 90s. Many of the "dots" were simply not known at the time and information was difficult to acquire and share. Plus, the implementation of the plan "on the ground" was still in its very early stages. All of this made it very difficult for all but a very few to discern how the pieces of the pattern fit together. This is simply not the case today.
Last edited by AlicetheKurious on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Postby slimmouse » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:10 am

Whilst my own focus tends to concentrate on the reptiles above all of this Israel/America distraction, this is most definitely pertinent to the sideshow;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kureFeGm ... r_embedded
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:07 pm

AlicetheKurious wrote:
JackRiddler wrote:Besides what it looks like the motivation for such a reduction might be.

Hello! I've been waiting and waiting for the inevitable slur and had just about given up when JackRiddler popped in to deliver it.

Okay, fine. You're an apologist for US empire.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby barracuda » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:53 am

AlicetheKurious wrote:Hello! I've been waiting and waiting for the inevitable slur and had just about given up when JackRiddler popped in to deliver it.

I should hope you hadn't been waiting for it from me.

1) You keep insisting that each individual outfit like IntelCenter and SITE and other purveyors of fabricated "terror" threats must be examined in isolation, without reference to all the others just like them which act in tandem to echo and amplify each other's message;

Not really. I simply recognise that the synthesis of these outlets is very likely to include US agencies which may, in fact, be operating under the sway of motivations outside of the purely zionist.

2) You do not acknowledge that this message, in fact, is indistinguishable from all Israeli and zionist propaganda about Muslims and Arabs since before the state of Israel even existed, and inexplicably ascribe it to homegrown American sources independent of Israeli influence, even though this contradicts all the available evidence about how subservience to the zionist agenda has become a prerequisite for achieving any position of influence in the American establishment (including the Pentagon);

Since America's military is currently occupying two largely Islamic nations for a variety of geostrategic reasons, it's not surprising that the propaganda related to these wars is consistently concerned with "Islamic extremism", some doubtless borrowed, some perhaps imposed, some not. I believe that the Americans are more than able to utilize any Israeli sourced materials in working to achieve a variety of goals which are of their own particular undertaking, as well as to create their own propaganda which is essentially indistinguishable in content from what you see as the tradition of zionist disinformation when it suits their own purposes. And I ascribe what you seem to think is the "prerequisite of subservience to the zionist agenda" at least partly to the notion that the Pentagon may in fact have ideas regarding the functions of the zionist state which supercede or ignore entirely the ideological or religious desire for an Eretz Israel, as well as to the demographic voting patterns of Americans. Plenty of Americans require political support for Israel because their form of Christianity impels it, and has done so since before the Reformation. Maybe even more than plenty.

3) You ignore the obvious fact that the rise to prominence of Israeli agents within the highest policy-making levels in the U.S. has been accompanied by America's rapid decline and Israel's equally rapid rise in terms of both military power and economic prosperity. This is a winning formula for Israel and a losing formula for its "patron" the United States. That the United States continues to be committed to such a self-destructive path defies logic, unless the well-documented role of zionist influence is factored in, which you simply refuse to do.

The Israeli economy may be outperforming the American economy of late (whose isn't?), but the reasons for that have very little to do with Israeli influence on high level American policy makers. The fact seems to be that they implemented some banking reforms over the last decade that shielded them from the worst of the 2008 crash, though they were by no means uneffected. I rather hope you're not going to blame US economic woes on Israel here.

4) You pretend that it's normal for a military superpower like the United States to be relying on dubious contractors with links to a foreign country for intelligence gathering and for training its own agents.

What I'm saying is that the US relys on whatever sources they need to in order to further their own goals. They rely on Israel when they need to, or on the ISI, or on the Brits, or on Afghan warlords, or they make their own stuff up. It's an equal opportunity empire of subterfuge and lies.

5) As I've pointed out and demonstrated repeatedly, it is Israel, not the United States, that has a verifiable record of typically using Jewish agents to carry out false-flag operations designed to provoke Western "retaliation" against Israel's wish-list of Arab and Muslim targets, including those I listed in previous posts and many, many others. The use of Gadahn/Pearlman, al-Khattab/Cohen and the others fits seamlessly within the classic pattern of zionist false-flag operations going back to pre-state times and is a "signature" of Israeli intelligence. Just in case someone's unfamiliar with this classic example as well:

It was my understanding that Muammar al-Gaddafi had taken credit for the La Belle nightclub bombing, and had paid reparations to the victims in the neighborhood of 1.5 billion dollars, but I have a feeling you can set me straight about this.

Israel, in contrast, is a pariah state that is economically, militarily and politically dependent on support from a succession of superpowers of which the U.S. is but the latest and in fact the only current superpower. In order to promote its own interests and even survival, Israel's only real weapon is the ability to subvert, corrupt and manipulate its "patron" into deploying America's power on behalf of Israel's objectives even when this comes at a terrible cost to the United States. Israel's ultimate objective, as I've said before, is to re-create the Middle East as a series of fragmented, weak, permanently warring ethnic statelets whose vital natural resources are controlled by Israel and which Israel plans to use to expand its presence as a global superpower in its own right. By then, it won't matter if the US is nothing but a broken, gutted shadow of what it was.

Yes, Israel is dependent on support from the US. But the US has never provided an example of wishing to build strong nations across the world unless those nations served American purposes.

I could understand your skepticism, barracuda, if we were still living in the 80s or even 90s.

Yeah, I find your ideas kinda old fashioned too. I thought China controlled the world these days.
barracuda

Postby AlicetheKurious » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:14 pm

barracuda wrote:I should hope you hadn't been waiting for it from me.

I wasn't, then again I've been surprised (and sometimes blindsided) before. :ohno:

barracuda wrote:...I ascribe what you seem to think is the "prerequisite of subservience to the zionist agenda" at least partly to the notion that the Pentagon may in fact have ideas regarding the functions of the zionist state which supercede or ignore entirely the ideological or religious desire for an Eretz Israel, as well as to the demographic voting patterns of Americans. Plenty of Americans require political support for Israel becaiuse their form of Christianity impels it, and has done so since before the Reformation. Maybe even more than plenty.

We're talking way beyond "support" here: the history of zionist moles in the Pentagon reveals that over and over, they've behaved exactly the way you'd expect the agents of a hostile foreign state to behave, rather than loyal Pentagon employees, and they've worked as a team, hiring and promoting each other and abusing their positions to shut down investigations of criminal or treasonous acts. In other words, the record shows that they have consistently used their high-level positions in the Pentagon to serve the interests of Israel at the expense of the Pentagon's. The Serving Two Flags article I posted earlier in this thread is a good introduction but there's a lot it doesn't cover, including the outrageous losses to the Pentagon that were overseen by its Comptroller, Dov Zakheim, for example the sale of extremely advanced equipment to Israel as "surplus" for a fraction of its value, the "outsourcing" of intelligence to Israel and the theft of trillions of dollars.

That's only a very small part of the picture. The same kind of subversion is being carried out at the political level. It's disingenuous to say that this is what American voters want, when American voters basically have no choice. Those politicians brave enough to put America's interest above Israel's are invariably eliminated in favor of other politicians who are willing to put Israel's interests first.

And then there's the money:

ICIJ's database of foreign military assistance shows that Israeli governmental entities spent more than $30 million in the three years after September 11, 2001, on expenditures governed by the Foreign Agents Registration Act, including lobbying Congress and the executive branch.

Since the late 1940s, the United States has given Israel nearly $50 billion in military assistance — financial aid and access to weaponry that has helped make the Israeli armed forces one of the most technologically sophisticated, powerful militaries on the planet. Since 9/11, Israel has remained the No. 1 recipient of U.S. military aid, pulling in more than $9 billion in the three years after the terrorist attacks. Link

Furthermore, the $30 million spent directly by "Israeli government entities" to buy influence are dwarfed by the sums channeled through agencies for the state of Israel disguised as domestic political action committees such as AIPAC.

The influence-peddling process works like this. Candidates are summoned for in-depth AIPAC interviews. Those found sufficiently committed to Israel’s agenda are provided a list of donors likely to “max out” their campaign contributions. Or the process can be made even easier when AIPAC-approved candidates are given the name of a “bundler.”

Bundlers raise funds from the Diaspora and bundle those contributions to present them to the candidate. No quid pro quo need be mentioned. After McCain-Feingold became law in 2003, AIPAC-identified bundlers could raise $1 million-plus for AIPAC-approved candidates simply by contacting ten like-minded supporters. Here’s the math:

The bundler and spouse “max out” for $9,200 and call ten others, say in Manhattan, Miami, and Beverly Hills. Each of them max out (10 x $9,200) and call ten others for a total of 11. [111 x $9,200 = $1,021,200.]

Imagine the incentive to do well in the AIPAC interview. One call from the lobby and a candidate can collect enough cash to mount a credible campaign in most Congressional districts. From Tel Aviv’s perspective, that political leverage is leveraged yet again because fewer than ten percent of the 435 House races are competitive in any election cycle (typically 35 to 50).

Additional force-multipliers come from: (a) sustaining this financial focus over multiple cycles, (b) using funds to gain and retain seniority for those serving on Congressional committees key to promoting Israeli goals, and (c) opposing any candidates who question those goals
Money was never a constraint. Pro-Israeli donors were limited only by how much they could lawfully contribute to AIPAC-screened candidates. McCain-Feingold raised a key limit.
To buy time on the public’s airwaves, money raised from the Israel lobby’s network is paid to media outlets largely owned or managed by members of the same network. Presidents, Senators and Congressmen come and go but those who collect the checks rack up the favors that amass lasting political influence.

In practical effect, McCain-Feingold hastened a retreat from representative government by granting a nationwide network of foreign agents disproportionate influence over elections in every state and Congressional district. Campaign finance ‘reform’ enabled this network to amass even more political clout—wielding influence disproportionate to their numbers, indifferent to their place of residence and often contrary to America’s interests. Link

If, as you say, the Pentagon and American policymakers would make the same decisions regardless of Israeli influence, then why would Israel need to deploy such an arsenal of multi-pronged, oppressive weapons that run the gamut from espionage to bribery to defamation, all to ensure that no dissent is possible where it counts, at the decision-making levels? If you see somebody handcuffed, blindfolded and gagged, here's a tip: they're probably not acting on their own volition.

Moreover, with some of the world's top universities and most advanced R&D facilities, not to mention budgets that dwarf those of all other advanced industrial nations, why would the United States pay the intelligence agents of a foreign country to spy on its own citizens?

In his new book, The Shadow Factory: The Ultra-Secret NSA from 9/11 to the Eavesdropping on America author James Bamford casts light on this effort, including a detailed account of how spying on American citizens has been outsourced to several companies closely linked to Israel's intelligence services.

It is well-known that the two largest American telecom companies AT&T and Verizon collaborated with the US government to allow illegal eavesdropping on their customers. The known uses to which information obtained this way has been put include building the government's massive secret "watch lists," and "no-fly lists" and even, Bamford suggests, to deny Small Business Administration loans to citizens or reject their children's applications to military colleges.

What is less well-known is that AT&T and Verizon handed "the bugging of their entire networks -- carrying billions of American communications every day" to two companies founded in Israel. Verint and Narus, as they are called, are "superintrusive -- conducting mass surveillance on both international and domestic communications 24/7," and sifting traffic at "key Internet gateways" around the US.

Virtually all US voice and data communications and much from the rest of the world can be remotely accessed by these companies in Israel, which Bamford describes as "the eavesdropping capital of the world."
Although there is no way to prove cooperation, Bamford writes that "the greatest potential beneficiaries of this marriage between the Israeli eavesdroppers and America's increasingly centralized telecom grid are Israel's intelligence agencies."

Israel's spy agencies have long had a revolving-door relationship with Verint and Narus and other Israeli military-security firms. The relationship is particularly close between the firms and Israel's own version of the NSA, called "Unit 8200." After the 11 September attacks, Israeli companies seeking a share of massively expanded US intelligence budgets formed similarly incestuous relationships with some in the American intelligence establishment: Ken Minihan, a former director of the NSA, served on Verint's "security committee" and the former Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) official responsible for liaison with the telecom industry became head of the Verint unit that sold eavesdropping equipment to the FBI and NSA.

Bamford writes that "concern over the cozy relationship between the [FBI] and Verint greatly increased following disclosure of the Bush administration's warrantless eavesdropping operations. At the same time that the tappers and the agents have grown uncomfortably close, the previous checks and balances, such as the need for a FISA warrant, have been eliminated."

FISA -- the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 -- required the government to seek court warrants for wiretaps where at least one target was in the US. In 2005, it was revealed that the Bush administration had been flagrantly violating this law. Last July, Congress passed a bill legalizing this activity and giving retroactive immunity to the telecom companies that had assisted.

...Israel has a well-established record of compromising American national security. The most notorious case was that of convicted spy Jonathan Pollard. Although the full details of his crimes are still secret, he is thought to have passed critical information about US intelligence-gathering methods to Israel, which then traded those secrets to US adversaries. In 2005, Larry Franklin, a Defense Department analyst, pleaded guilty to spying for Israel. Most recently, Ben-Ami Kadish, a retired US army engineer, was indicted in April for allegedly passing classified documents about US nuclear weapons to Israel from 1979 to 1985. Two former officials of AIPAC, the pro-Israel lobbying group, are still awaiting trial on charges that they passed classified information between Franklin and the Israeli government.

Nor have particular Israeli firms established a record of trustworthiness that would justify such complacency. Jacob "Kobi" Alexander, the former Israeli intelligence officer who founded Verint, fled the US to Israel in 2006 just before he and other top executives of a subsidiary were indicted for fraud that allegedly cost US taxpayers and company shareholders $138 million. Alexander eventually adopted a fake identity and hid in the southern African country of Namibia where he is now fighting extradition. In only once case did US officials block an Israeli high-tech firm from taking over an American company for security concerns. ... http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article9930.shtml

barracuda wrote:The Israeli economy may be outperforming the American economy of late (whose isn't?), but the reasons for that have very little to do with Israeli influence on high level American policy makers. The fact seems to be that they implemented some banking reforms over the last decade that shielded them from the worst of the 2008 crash, though they were by no means uneffected. I rather hope you're not going to blame US economic woes on Israel here.

I'll admit I'm weak on economic and financial matters. But even I can figure out that borrowing trillions of dollars to spend on blowing up cities and towns halfway around the world and killing untold numbers of innocent people is not only evil, it's incredibly dumb. You'll say it's profitable for some, and that's true, but no country goes to war solely to make its profiteers richer. Sovereign countries go to war only when they have a clear strategy and specific objectives that they want to achieve.

Even Israel, one of the most super-militarized countries on earth, with a mean MIC of its own, only launches military attacks when its political leaders reasonably expect that such an attack will come at an acceptable cost and will result in a measurable, desirable net gain in terms of territory, water or other resources, the elimination of a "demographic threat" or to destroy a rival's capabilities, etc. They may be callous criminals, but they don't recklessly squander their country's wealth and military on self-destructive, poorly-defined, open-ended and ruinous conflicts. When their occupation of Lebanon threatened to become a quagmire, for example, they cut their losses and withdrew even though it represented a tremendous humiliation. Lebanon was a tiny, weak country. For bigger projects they prefer to have others go to war based on fabricated evidence and irrational justifications and demagoguery for them, while they sit back and reap the rewards for the war that they've decided is necessary to fulfill their own meticulously calculated strategic objectives.

The Pentagon has an evocative term for the level of spending on a war: burn rate. In Afghanistan, it has been running at around $5 million every hour for much of the year. The burn rate will begin going up next week when the first of an additional 30,000 U.S. troops arrive.

Once they are all in place, the burn rate is estimated to exceed $10 million an hour, or more than $8 billion a month. Much of that is literally burned — in the engines of American jeeps, trucks, tanks, aircraft and power generators. On average, each of the 183,000 soldiers currently deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq requires 22 gallons of fuel a day, according to a study by the international accounting firm Deloitte.
Which helps explain why Afghanistan “is one of the most expensive, perhaps the most expensive, war in U.S. history on a per troop basis,” says Todd Harrison of the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments, a Washington think tank. His estimate of the cost per year of a soldier deployed in Afghanistan this year matches the number used by the White House – around $1 million. (The Pentagon says is it is less.)

In comparison, a soldier in Iraq costs less than half. Again in comparison, an Afghan soldier costs $12,500 a year, a recent congressional hearing was told.
Both the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have so far been financed with borrowed money that makes up part of the country’s deficit. The 2009 budget year, which ended in September, set an all-time high with $1.42 trillion. In 2010, it is expected to reach close to $1.5 trillion.
In an essay at the beginning of the year, a few days before Obama took office, the Harvard historian Paul Kennedy, author of The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers, commented that no country on earth had “anywhere like the staggering array of overseas military commitments and deployments” as the U.S.

That is more true today than it was at the beginning of the year. Along with more troops, there is more reason to wonder how right Kennedy was in saying in his essay that U.S. dependency on foreign investors resembled “more and more that state of international indebtedness we historians associate with the reigns of Philip II of Spain and Louis XIV of France…”

If Obama read that, he should have been worried. Under the reign of Philip II from 1556 to 1598, Spain reached the peak of its power, a global empire controlling territories from Europe and the Americas to Asia. It sank to second-rate status through a combination of factors that included wars and massive foreign debt. Louis XIV was involved in four big wars and on his death in 1715, left France deep in debt. Link

barracuda wrote:What I'm saying is that the US relys on whatever sources they need to in order to further their own goals. They rely on Israel when they need to, or on the ISI, or on the Brits, or on Afghan warlords, or they make their own stuff up. It's an equal opportunity empire of subterfuge and lies.

Now you're making stuff up. The ISI, the Brits and Afghan warlords are not opening ersatz "US-based" fronts like SITE and IntelCenter and TAM-C and the others, issuing bullshit 'expert' reports and selling them directly to the media, the Pentagon and anybody else stupid or complicit enough to buy them. Were they anything but Israelis, they'd be arrested for espionage and subversive activities and end up in prison.

It was my understanding that Muammar al-Gaddafi had taken credit for the La Belle nightclub bombing, and had paid reparations to the victims in the neighborhood of 1.5 billion dollars, but I have a feeling you can set me straight about this.

No, he was blackmailed into paying, the only way he could lift the crippling economic sanctions against Libya imposed by the U.S. I've read mountains of stuff about Lockerbie over the years, and it's a very long, complicated story but this is an excellent summary:

Deception over Lockerbie

by Maidhc Ó Cathail / September 24th, 2009

By way of deception, shalt thou wage war.

– motto of Mossad, Israel’s Intelligence Service

The scenes of flag-waving Libyans welcoming home Abdel Baset al-Megrahi, the man known as the Lockerbie bomber, further discredited Muslims in the minds of many. For those whose knowledge of the story is derived mainly from TV news, it appeared to be a callous celebration of mass murder, lending credence to the belief that “Islam” and “terrorism” are virtually synonymous. A closer look at the facts surrounding the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103, however, reveals a pattern of deception by those who have most to gain from making Muslims look bad.

While the news reports dutifully recorded the protestations of outrage by Barack Obama, Gordon Brown and others at what appeared to be an unseemly hero’s welcome for a convicted terrorist, they neglected to mention that Libyans were celebrating the release of a countryman whom they believe had been wrongfully imprisoned for eight years. Also omitted from the reports was any indication that informed observers of Megrahi’s case in Britain and elsewhere are likewise convinced of his innocence.

Robert Black, the University of Edinburgh law professor who was the architect of the trial at Camp Zeist in the Netherlands, says that “no reasonable tribunal could have convicted Megrahi on the evidence led,” and calls his 2001 conviction “an absolute and utter outrage.” Prof. Black likens the Scottish trial judges to the White Queen in Lewis Carroll’s Through the Looking Glass who “believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” Hans Köchler, a UN-appointed observer at the trial, states that “there is not one single piece of material evidence linking the two accused to the crime,” and condemns the court’s verdict as a “spectacular miscarriage of justice.” And Dr. Jim Swire, whose daughter Flora was one of the 270 killed on December 21, 1988, dismisses the prosecution’s case against Megrahi and fellow Libyan Lamin Khalifa F’hima as “a cock and bull story.”

According to that “cock and bull story,” Megrahi, the head of security for Libyan Arab Airlines (LAA), conspired with Lamin Khalifa F’hima, the station manager for LAA in Malta (who was acquitted), to put a suitcase bomb on a flight from Malta to Frankfurt. At Frankfurt, the lethal suitcase had to be transferred to another flight bound for London Heathrow. Then in Heathrow Airport, it would have to be transferred for a second time onto the ill-fated Flight 103 destined for New York.

But for that rather implausible scenario to be true, the Libyans would have to have had an inordinate faith in the reliability of baggage handlers in two of Europe’s busiest airports at one of the busiest times of the year. Less optimistic would-be bombers would surely have slipped the bomb-laden suitcase on board in London. Fueling suspicions that this is indeed what happened, investigating police were told by a security guard at Heathrow that the Pan Am baggage storage area had been broken into on the night of the bombing.

The reported break-in at Heathrow was part of 600 pages of new and deliberately suppressed evidence that Megrahi’s defense could present at an appeal, which in 2007 the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission, after a three-year investigation, recommended he be granted.

But before that appeal could be heard, the compassionate release of Megrahi, suffering from terminal prostate cancer, conveniently spared the potential embarrassment of all those involved in his dubious conviction. More significantly, it also averted awkward questions being raised, in the likely event of the Libyan being acquitted, about who actually planted the bomb, and why.

Reel Bad Muslims

Many of those who doubt Libya’s responsibility for the Lockerbie bombing, perhaps not surprisingly in the current climate, tend to suspect other Muslim countries of involvement. The most popular theory is that Iran hired the Syrian-based Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine – General Command (PFLP-GC) led by Ahmed Gibril to avenge the “accidental” shooting down by the USS Vincennes on July 3, 1988 of Iran Air Flight 655, which killed all 288 civilians on board.

Others believe that Abu Nidal, the founder of the infamous Black September terrorist group, may have been involved. If they’re right, it raises disturbing questions about who was ultimately responsible for the Lockerbie atrocity. In his fine biography of Nidal, A Gun for Hire, British journalist Patrick Seale confirms long-held suspicions that many in the Middle East have had about the “Palestinian terrorist” who did more than anyone to discredit the Palestinian cause. “Abu Nidal was undoubtedly a Mossad agent,” Seale asserts. “Practically every job he did benefited Israel.”

Interestingly, one theory which has the PFLP-GC collaborating with Abu Nidal on behalf of Iran, has been espoused by a former Mossad staffer, Yuval Aviv, whose New York-based investigative agency, Interfor, prepared a report for Pan Am’s insurers on the Lockerbie bombing.

Writing under the pen name Sam Green, Aviv also authored Flight 103, a fictional account of the Lockerbie tragedy he claims is “based solidly on real-life facts,” in which the vengeful Iranians enlist a Palestinian terrorist, Ahmed ‘The Falcon’ Shabaan, to do their dirty work. Aviv, who inspired Steven Spielberg’s Munich, hopes his director friend will convert his Lockerbie tale into another Hollywood blockbuster.

Hardly any mainstream commentators, however, have questioned the trustworthiness of a former Mossad agent, who retains close ties with the intelligence service, fingering Palestinians and Iran for a terrorist attack which killed 189 Americans, thereby blackening the reputation of two of Israel’s greatest foes in the minds of those it wishes to convince that the U.S. and Israel face a common enemy.

Dirty Tricks

Not everyone in the media has been as naive about Israeli machinations though. Writing in the Guardian just before the trial of the two Libyans, veteran American journalist Russell Warren Howe, in an excellent article titled “What if they are innocent?” analyses whether the Iranian government, Palestinian terrorists or Israeli intelligence were more likely perpetrators. Howe concludes, “Even if Megrahi and F’hima are found guilty of the most serious charges, there would still be a need for a new investigation: to decide what was Israel’s possibly major role in mass murder and deception of its main benefactor, the US.” Howe is suggesting that even if the Libyans, or other Arabs, had actually planted the bomb, they may still have been duped into doing so by Israeli agents.

Intriguingly, Howe cites a reference in Gordon Thomas’ book on Mossad, Gideon’s Spies,to a Mossad officer stationed in London who showed up in Lockerbie the morning after the crash to arrange for the removal of a suitcase from the crime scene. The suitcase, said to belong to Captain Charles McKee, a DIA officer who was killed on the flight, was later returned “empty and undamaged.”

Moreover, the idea of Libyan responsibility, Howe notes, seems to have originated in Israel. Again, he quotes Thomas, who says that a source at LAP, Mossad’s psychological warfare unit, informed him that “within hours of the crash, staff at LAP were working the phones to their media contacts urging them to publicise that here was ‘incontrovertible proof’ that Libya, through its intelligence service, Jamahirya, was culpable.”

It may also have been Mossad disinformation, Howe suspects, that induced the U.S. government to believe the Libyans were guilty. The day after the Lockerbie bombing, U.S. intelligence intercepted a radio message from Tripoli to a Libyan government office in Berlin that effectively said, “mission accomplished.”

Two years earlier, a similar message intercept had induced Ronald Reagan to order air strikes against Libya, killing over a hundred people, including Qaddafi’s two-year-old adopted daughter. But the message had been faked by Israel, according to Victor Ostrovsky, a former Mossad case officer, who described the operation in The Other Side of Deception, the second of two exposés he wrote about the Mossad after leaving the service.

Operation Trojan began in February 1986 when the Mossad secretly installed a communications device known as a “Trojan” in an apartment in Tripoli. The Trojan received messages broadcast by Mossad’s LAP on one frequency and automatically transmitted them on a different frequency used by the Libyan government. “Using the Trojan,” Ostrovsky writes, “the Mossad tried to make it appear that a long series of terrorist orders were being transmitted to various Libyan embassies around the world.” U.S. intelligence, as anticipated by the Israelis, intercepted the bogus messages, and believed them to be authentic — especially after receiving confirmation from the Mossad.

Within weeks of the Trojan being installed, two American soldiers were killed in an explosion at La Belle Discothèque, a nightclub in West Berlin frequented by U.S. servicemen. Assuming that Libya was responsible, nine days later the U.S. dropped 60 tons of bombs on Tripoli and Benghazi. Few suspected that the Americans had been tricked into the “retaliation” by Israel, whose subterfuge had punished Qaddafi for his support of the Palestine Liberation Organization, and further alienated the U.S from the Arab world.

Not all Americans are oblivious to Israeli wiles, however. Commenting on the Israeli intelligence service’s penchant for deception, Andrew Killgore, a former U.S. ambassador to Qatar, wrote in the Washington Report on Middle East Affairs, “Mossad’s specialty was dirty tricks… Its modus operandi had always been the same: pull off a dirty trick but make it appear somebody else had done it.”

As part of any new investigation to establish whether or not the Lockerbie bombing was another one of the Mossad’s “dirty tricks,” detectives might want to interview Issac Yeffet, the former chief of security for the Israeli airline, El Al, who in 1986 was commissioned by Pan Am to survey its security at a number of airports worldwide. As Killgore, in a separate article for the Washington Report, suggestively noted: “Yeffet may have been successful in maintaining perfect security for El Al at Ben-Gurion Airport. But his efforts at Heathrow Airport in London, one of the airports he surveyed for Pan Am, and to which he and his employees had full rein, failed to save Pan Am Flight 103.”

Still protesting his innocence, the dying Megrahi told reporters on his release, “The truth never dies.” That may be so. But as long as the Western media continue to believe that only Israel’s enemies would blow up a civilian airliner, the truth about Lockerbie is unlikely to ever reach a very wide audience. Link

barracuda wrote:Yes, Israel is dependent on support from the US. But the US has never provided an example of wishing to build strong nations across the world unless [url=http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/features/egypt/]those nations served American purposes.

Egypt is your example of the US building a strong nation???! I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Postby AlicetheKurious » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:30 pm

barracuda, dear, you'll be relieved to know that it's a major holiday here and we're taking a little vacation at the beach until the middle of next week. So take your time, take it easy and to be continued...
AlicetheKurious

Postby barracuda » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Thanks for the respite, Alice. I've had a devil of a time keeping my head above water here, honestly, so I'll be more than glad to take advantage of your vacation, and I hope it's a nice one for you and your family.
barracuda

Postby semper occultus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:31 pm

Israeli False Flag Attack on U.S. Motivated 1963 Senate Investigations - Newly Declassified Files

www.prnewswire.com

WASHINGTON, Nov. 9, 2010 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Fears of false flag and foreign funded covert operations designed to influence U.S. policy drove the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to launch exhaustive investigations and call for warranted enforcement of the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA). A newly declassified March 17, 1961 memo unsealed and released by the National Archives and Records Administration on October 21, 2010 outlined the Senate's rationale for investigating Israel lobbying groups and other foreign agents active across the United States.

"In recent years there has been an increasing number of incidents involving attempts by foreign governments, or their agents, to influence the conduct of American foreign policy by techniques outside normal diplomatic channels.....there have been occasions when representatives of other governments have been privately accused of engaging in covert activities within the United States and elsewhere, for the purpose of influencing United States Policy (the Lavon Affair)."

The Lavon Affair refers to a false flag Israeli terrorist bombing plot code named "Operation Susannah" against U.S. targets in Egypt. It was designed to reverse U.S. policy pressuring British withdrawals and reverting control of the Suez Canal to Egypt. Israeli agents infiltrating as Arabs were discovered, arrested and criminally prosecuted in Egypt when their explosives malfunctioned, leading to a crisis in the Israeli government.

The Senate Foreign Relations Committee, which mentioned Lavon twice in the three page memo, expressed concerns about investigating such sensitive matters. "There would undoubtedly (even with care) be instances which would lead to foreign governmental protests, to violent attacks by special groups in the United States..." The declassified files are now available at: http://www.irmep.org/ila/forrel

The declassified Senate memo suggested three avenues for investigation. "I. Public receipt of testimony from Department of Justice and Department of State....II. Public receipt of testimony from selected law and public relations firms....III Executive (perhaps public) receipt of testimony on the Lavon Affair, and similar 'grey area' activities..."

The Senate investigated the foreign agents of many countries in 1962, held hearings throughout 1963, and published redacted records. Preliminary findings led the Department of Justice to order the American Zionist Council to register and publicly disclose its Israeli-funded clandestine lobbying activities under FARA. The AZC promptly shut down and reorganized within its lobbying division, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), which incorporated six weeks after the AZC FARA order, but refused to register as an Israeli foreign agent.

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is the nation's record keeper. It retains 1%-3% of the most important documents of business conducted by the United States Federal government. The Israel Lobby Archive, http://IRmep.org/ila, is a unit of the Institute for Research: Middle Eastern Policy in Washington.

SOURCE Institute for Research: Middle Eastern Policy
semper occultus

Postby Nordic » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:52 pm

semper occultus wrote:Israeli False Flag Attack on U.S. Motivated 1963 Senate Investigations - Newly Declassified Files

www.prnewswire.com

WASHINGTON, Nov. 9, 2010 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Fears of false flag and foreign funded covert operations designed to influence U.S. policy drove the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to launch exhaustive investigations and call for warranted enforcement of the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA). A newly declassified March 17, 1961 memo unsealed and released by the National Archives and Records Administration on October 21, 2010 outlined the Senate's rationale for investigating Israel lobbying groups and other foreign agents active across the United States.

"In recent years there has been an increasing number of incidents involving attempts by foreign governments, or their agents, to influence the conduct of American foreign policy by techniques outside normal diplomatic channels.....there have been occasions when representatives of other governments have been privately accused of engaging in covert activities within the United States and elsewhere, for the purpose of influencing United States Policy (the Lavon Affair)."

The Lavon Affair refers to a false flag Israeli terrorist bombing plot code named "Operation Susannah" against U.S. targets in Egypt. It was designed to reverse U.S. policy pressuring British withdrawals and reverting control of the Suez Canal to Egypt. Israeli agents infiltrating as Arabs were discovered, arrested and criminally prosecuted in Egypt when their explosives malfunctioned, leading to a crisis in the Israeli government.

The Senate Foreign Relations Committee, which mentioned Lavon twice in the three page memo, expressed concerns about investigating such sensitive matters. "There would undoubtedly (even with care) be instances which would lead to foreign governmental protests, to violent attacks by special groups in the United States..." The declassified files are now available at: http://www.irmep.org/ila/forrel

The declassified Senate memo suggested three avenues for investigation. "I. Public receipt of testimony from Department of Justice and Department of State....II. Public receipt of testimony from selected law and public relations firms....III Executive (perhaps public) receipt of testimony on the Lavon Affair, and similar 'grey area' activities..."

The Senate investigated the foreign agents of many countries in 1962, held hearings throughout 1963, and published redacted records. Preliminary findings led the Department of Justice to order the American Zionist Council to register and publicly disclose its Israeli-funded clandestine lobbying activities under FARA. The AZC promptly shut down and reorganized within its lobbying division, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), which incorporated six weeks after the AZC FARA order, but refused to register as an Israeli foreign agent.

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is the nation's record keeper. It retains 1%-3% of the most important documents of business conducted by the United States Federal government. The Israel Lobby Archive, http://IRmep.org/ila, is a unit of the Institute for Research: Middle Eastern Policy in Washington.

SOURCE Institute for Research: Middle Eastern Policy

Good find.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:39 pm

Oh, look! Another one! Hatemonger, con-artist, tax-cheater, what's not to love?

Terror Expert Emerson Feels His Own Heat Over Finances
    By Nathan Guttman and Larry Cohler-Esses
    Published November 17, 2010, issue of November 26, 2010.

Washington —
    Steven Emerson has made his reputation by scrutinizing American Muslim organizations and individuals, trying to uncover their possible ties to terror groups. But lately he is being scrutinized himself, by a Nashville, Tenn., daily newspaper digging into the finances of his operation.

Now, under pressure to introduce more transparency to his tax-exempt charitable organization, Emerson is attempting to explain how and why the Investigative Project on Terrorism Foundation avoids revealing much of the information that charities are routinely required to disclose.

Emerson, it turns out, succeeds in veiling his foundation’s data by channeling the tax-deductible funds he raises into a for-profit company that he controls.

Emerson said security considerations have forced him to avoid disclosing a lot of information that is usually made public by tax-exempt charities. Such disclosures include the names of his group’s board members, the names and salaries of its highest-paid employees and detailed information on the group’s finances.

A key figure in the national discourse on issues relating to Islamic terrorism, Emerson first emerged as a commentator and researcher on the topic in 1994, when his documentary, “Jihad in America,” shown on the Public Broadcasting Service, exposed fundraising for terror activities by Muslims in America, following the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. He subsequently set up the Investigative Project, an earlier, for-profit predecessor of the IPTF that evolved into a robust operation devoted to tracking and documenting alleged connections of American Muslims to international terror groups. He is also a frequent commentator on Fox News.

The spotlight pointed at Emerson, and his foundation’s business activity comes as the IPTF has injected itself into the heated debate over the Park51 Islamic center in New York, publishing reports highly critical of the Muslim leaders behind the project. But it is his criticism of the leaders of another planned mosque, this one in Murfreesboro, Tenn., that drew the interest of The Tennessean, Nashville’s sole daily newspaper, and led to the paper’s October 24 investigative report on Emerson’s tax status.

“Emerson is a leading member of a multi-million-dollar industry of self-proclaimed experts who spread hate toward Muslims in books and movies, on websites and through speaking appearances,” the report claimed.

In its wide-ranging article, The Tennessean reported that while the IPTF is recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a tax-exempt charity, it in fact distributes almost all of its contributions to SAE Productions, a for-profit company that Emerson founded in 1994 and continues to control, as he does the IPTF.

Citing publicly available tax filings, the paper reported that Emerson’s foundation paid $3,390,000 to SAE in 2008 — the foundation’s only significant expenditure. It was the Emerson-controlled for-profit firm that then made all expenditures on the foundation’s behalf.

This is how Emerson’s foundation avoided the IRS’s detailed disclosure requirements for charities regarding their expenditures. Indeed, under this setup, even the IRS’s own tax-exempt division is in the dark on how Emerson uses his revenues.

Yet a careful look at Emerson’s correspondence with the IRS shows that the tax authority in fact approved Emerson’s IPTF for tax exemption only after Emerson assured the tax agency that “there are no, and will be no, financial/business transactions between officers, board members or relatives” of the IPTF and its subcontractor.
    The controversy over Emerson’s financial practices does not seem to be an issue for at least one prominent IPTF donor. Kenneth Bialkin, who contributes annually to the group, said that Emerson could have been a target for smearing by the pro-Arab lobby.

Of all those of us who labored in the vineyard in trying to help the Jewish people, there is no one who stands higher in the pantheon of honor than Steve Emerson,” said Bialkin, a former chairman of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, “for all of us — those of us who are hard-liners — feel this guy is worth his weight in gold.” Link
AlicetheKurious

Postby nashvillebrook » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:40 pm

I haven’t posted in forever (apologies) but this Rita Katz/SITE story just came across notifications on the godawful Apple “news” app, and it needs to be shared with ya’ll who can appreciate it.

Lest it not be forgotten, Siddique Mateen (father of the Orlando Pulse shooter) was an FBI asset. This is 100% DHS/DOD propaganda…which should raise a number of questions.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/01/politics/far-right-groups-praise-taliban-takeover/index.html

White supremacist praise of the Taliban takeover concerns US officials
Video reportedly shows Taliban celebrating with military parade

(CNN) — As the United States-backed government in Afghanistan fell to the Taliban and US troops raced to leave the country, White supremacist and anti-government extremists have expressed admiration for what the Taliban accomplished, a worrying development for US officials who have been grappling with the threat of domestic violent extremism.

That praise has also been coupled with a wave of anti-refugee sentiment from far-right groups, as the US and others rushed to evacuate tens of thousands of people from Afghanistan by the Biden administration's August 31 deadline.

Several concerning trends have emerged in recent weeks on online platforms commonly used by anti-government, White supremacist and other domestic violent extremist groups, including "framing the activities of the Taliban as a success," and a model for those who believe in the need for a civil war in the US, the head of the Department of Homeland Security's Office of Intelligence and Analysis, John Cohen, said on a call Friday with local and state law enforcement, obtained by CNN.

What is the legal status of Afghans coming to the US? It varies
Cohen said on the call that DHS has also analyzed discussions centering on "the great replacement concept" a conspiracy theory that immigrants, in this case the relocation of Afghans to the US, would lead to a loss of control and authority by White Americans.

"There are concerns that those narratives may incite violent activities directed at immigrant communities, certain faith communities, or even those who are relocated to the United States," he added.

Far-right extremist communities have been invigorated by the events in Afghanistan, "whether by their desire to emulate the Taliban or increasingly violent rhetoric about 'invasions' by displaced Afghans," according to recent analysis from SITE Intelligence Group, an American non-governmental organization that tracks online activity of White supremacist and jihadist organizations.

Some people are commending the Taliban's takeover as "a lesson in love for the homeland, for freedom, and for religion," SITE said in its weekly bulletin on far-right extremists.
Neo-Nazi and violent accelerationists -- who hope to provoke what they see as an inevitable race war, which would lead to a Whites-only state -- in North America and Europe are praising the Taliban for its anti-Semitism, homophobia, and severe restrictions on women's freedom, SITE found.

For example, a quote taken from the Proud Boy to Fascist Pipeline Telegram channel, said: "These farmers and minimally trained men fought to take back their nation back from globohomo. They took back their government, installed their national religion as law, and executed dissenters ... If white men in the west had the same courage as the Taliban, we would not be ruled by Jews currently," SITE found.

"Globohomo" is a derogatory word used to insult "globalists," the term used by conspiracy promoters to describe their enemy (the evil global elite who control the media, finance, political system etc), according to SITE.

For months, US officials have warned that domestic violent extremism is the greatest threat to the homeland, pointing to the January 6 attack at the US Capitol as a stark illustration of the potential for violence that can occur when conspiracy theories and false narratives flourish.
A significant part of the current threat environment comes from individuals who are influenced by what they see online, Cohen told CNN in an interview last month.
At this time, Anti-Defamation League's Center on Extremism, is not seeing any observed credible threats, or mobilization of online extremist activity, but is concerned that the current online rhetoric highlights ideological concerns and possible threats to public safety, said Joanna Mendelson, associate director of the center.

Extremists often take current events and weave them into their own narrative and worldview, said Mendelson, which is what is taking place in the aftermath of the withdrawal from Afghanistan and amid the humanitarian and military crisis.

"They're taking the same kind of core tropes and themes, and kind of bigoted views of the world, and injecting them into this current event," Mendelson told CNN.

There has been a lot of Islamophobia and xenophobia echoed by White supremacists and anti-Muslim activists, claiming that public safety and national security is threatened because they see refugees through a stereotypical lens as being dangerous criminals or terrorists, according to Mendelson.

A core conspiracy guiding White supremacist ideology is the "the great replacement," the belief that ultimately, the White race is facing its ultimate extinction, she said.

There is also "almost this infatuation and admiration" of the Taliban, Mendelson said, pointing to the notion that an under-equipped insurgent group could successfully defeat a global power.

"The fact that the Taliban at the end of the day could claim victory over such a world power is something that White supremacists are taking note of," she said.

Megan Squire, a professor of Computer Science at Elon University, who researches US-based domestic extremist groups, has seen three main Afghanistan-related trends emerge in platforms used by a range of far-right groups, such as White supremacists, neo-Nazis and Proud Boys-style forums.

The first narrative to emerge among the extreme far-right groups was "reveling in the humiliation" of the US withdrawal from Afghanistan as images emerged of Taliban fighters taking over city after city, along with US equipment left behind, Squire said, both celebrations of defeat and feelings humiliation as Americans.

When one goes deeper into the neo-Nazi groups, you see some celebration of the Taliban, usually related to extremely misogynistic or extremely anti-Semitic discussion, she added.

This type of cross-ideological praise has historical precedent, according to Squire, citing as an example, a meme that circulated in neo-Nazi communities during a particularly misogynist period about "white Sharia," the concept that women should be treated the way the Taliban treats women.

There have been recent examples of right-leaning groups supporting movement overseas that appear ideologically distant. For instance, earlier this summer, QAnon and Donald Trump-supporting online forums celebrated the deadly military coup in Myanmar and suggested the same should happen in the United States so Trump could be reinstated as President. CNN also spoke to followers of the former President in Ventura, California, in February who said they wanted to see a Myanmar-style coup happen here.
However, the most common narrative is around the idea that the US is "importing the Taliban" through the relocation of Afghans and that Afghan refugees are too different to become real citizens, according to Squire.

"It's really an anti-Muslim idea, anti-immigration idea," she said.

The Pentagon announced Monday that the last US military planes left Afghanistan, departing after weeks of chaotic and deadly evacuation efforts that were punctuated by the devastating suicide attack last Thursday that killed more than 170 people, in addition to the 13 US service members who were also killed.
Some of the Afghanistan narratives are focused on "the Taliban did it right" and that it should be a "lesson learned" for how we should operate in the US, a US law enforcement official told CNN about the rapid rise of the Taliban as the US withdrew troops.
"That's got us a little concerned," because it suggests an escalation in violence, the official added. For example, there were references to the fact that only 80,000 Taliban were able to defeat an Afghan army of several hundred thousand supported by the US, the official said.

As of February, the Afghan forces numbered 308,000 personnel, according to a United Nations Security Council report released in June -- well above the estimated number of armed Taliban fighters, which ranged from 58,000 to 100,000, CNN previously reported. Though number of Afghan forces has been considered by many to be inflated.
"There are some significant discussions," in which people are expressing support of what the Taliban has done and are looking at it as an example of what anti-government extremists should be doing in the US, the official said, adding that the reaction has been a "little bit surprising."

In Europe and the US, there has also been an "outpouring" of anti-refugee commentary from White nationalists and Neo-Nazis responding to the Taliban's takeover, SITE found.

Commentary on anonymous forums has been particularly violent, according to SITE, which found users discussing taking up arms, and in one case, threatening attacks on refugee assistance organizations in Florida.
The hateful rhetoric is similar to that seen amid Libyan and Syrian refugee waves in the 2010s, which paved the way for violent terrorist attacks in Christchurch and Pittsburgh, according to SITE.

Amid anti-immigrant sentiment, DHS officials have been bracing for whether Afghans themselves will be targeted once they land in the US and are resettled here, a DHS official previously told CNN.

"Will they be the potential target? Will Afghans themselves become targets?" the official said, noting the concern
nashvillebrook

Postby norton ash » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:41 am

^^^^ Appreciated! Peace.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Elvis » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:29 am

+1
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion