Call of Duty: Black Ops "There's A Soldier In All Of Us"

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops "There's A Soldier In All Of Us"

Postby Simulist » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:21 pm

stefano wrote:...but what I didn't see from a cursory look now is that one of these games, maybe America's Army, had a system where players' scores were tied to their real names and what not, and Army recruiters would visit the best ones and offer them a job. I'm sure we talked about it.

That's a pretty spooky prospect, but what's even more frightening to me is the systematic numbing-down of our collective conscience. Whether it's intentional or not can be debated I suppose (although I'm on the side that is convinced that this is quite intentional at certain levels), but it's displaying itself through many different forms of violent mass media — most especially the "news" — and the utter, unmitigated failure of otherwise balancing, conscience-informing institutions like organized religion.

That this "numbing-down" is actually happening seems undeniable, too. Narcissism, sociopathy, and outright psychopathy appear to be on the rise in our culture. Now I guess it can be argued that violent forms of media are "the effect" rather than "the cause" — and I think there is merit in that, although I consider this too binary of a choice — but it seems to me that what we've got is a feedback loop going, involving several conscience numbing factors. And it's been getting uncomfortably loud for several years now.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nordic » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Yeah, Gary Webb wrote about this in 2004:

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/14854 ... n-children
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby brekin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Simulist wrote:

That's a pretty spooky prospect, but what's even more frightening to me is the systematic numbing-down of our collective conscience. Whether it's intentional or not can be debated I suppose (although I'm on the side that is convinced that this is quite intentional at certain levels), but it's displaying itself through many different forms of violent mass media — most especially the "news" — and the utter, unmitigated failure of otherwise balancing, conscience-informing institutions like organized religion.

That this "numbing-down" is actually happening seems undeniable, too. Narcissism, sociopathy, and outright psychopathy appear to be on the rise in our culture. Now I guess it can be argued that violent forms of media are "the effect" rather than "the cause" — and I think there is merit in that, although I consider this too binary of a choice — but it seems to me that what we've got is a feedback loop going, involving several conscience numbing factors. And it's been getting uncomfortably loud for several years now.

The numbing is what alarms me to. Here we have two wars of occupation going on and Jimmy Kimbel and Kobe Bryant (maybe some other celebrities I don't recognize) playing war in what looks like battlefields that could be Iraq or Afghanistan. I wasn't alive but I can't imagine say The Monkees or Joe Namath doing the equivalent during the Vietnam War. And do they really need the money that bad to do such a commercial?
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Nordic » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Jimmy Kimmel has an x-box in the shitter in the downstairs of his house. You can literally sit on the toilet and play video games. I'm not making this up.
Nordic

Postby brekin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:26 pm

Nordic wrote:

Jimmy Kimmel has an x-box in the shitter in the downstairs of his house. You can literally sit on the toilet and play video games. I'm not making this up.

I believe it. Garbage in, garbage out.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Postby jam.fuse » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:00 pm

fuck celebrities
'I beat the Devil with a shovel so he dropped me another level' -- Redman
jam.fuse

Postby 82_28 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:02 pm

Indeed, as far as the sentiments above. But, I do have to say, that is one clever-ass commercial. It is sick and a sign of our times. But it is a very well done ad concept. When in Rome, I suppose. I will give them props as to the fact that it is hella effective for those who are into FPS.

I'm sure the game's built-in campaign is probably 90 minutes long and it's all stupid online shit after that.

As for gaming consoles and some games (namely Oblivion), when I was in the throes of my depression awhile back, just knowing I could retreat to my PS3 and some mythical world, really helped to soothe me. It's sick and wrong and I don't condone this as any kind of therapy, but I would go to a spot in the game -- a meadow, a cave, a forest, a mountain top and just "rest" there and literally go to sleep to the sounds of birds and wind, thunderstorms and the minstrelly music in the background. It did help. I love my PS3, even though I hardly play it. Now that I am unemployed, it doesn't beckon me at all strangely. I need to "get to work". I am that target audience, being 35 as I am. It's strange, but I love me a game or two. Just knowing I can jump in and play it, even though I rarely ever do, is enough.

Awesome ad, but EXTREMELY evil, luciferian even. But it works. . . Not for me. . . But it works.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby brekin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:34 pm

82_82 wrote:

Indeed, as far as the sentiments above. But, I do have to say, that is one clever-ass commercial. It is sick and a sign of our times. But it is a very well done ad concept. When in Rome, I suppose. I will give them props as to the fact that it is hella effective for those who are into FPS.

I'm sure the game's built-in campaign is probably 90 minutes long and it's all stupid online shit after that.

As for gaming consoles and some games (namely Oblivion), when I was in the throes of my depression awhile back, just knowing I could retreat to my PS3 and some mythical world, really helped to soothe me. It's sick and wrong and I don't condone this as any kind of therapy, but I would go to a spot in the game -- a meadow, a cave, a forest, a mountain top and just "rest" there and literally go to sleep to the sounds of birds and wind, thunderstorms and the minstrelly music in the background. It did help. I love my PS3, even though I hardly play it. Now that I am unemployed, it doesn't beckon me at all strangely. I need to "get to work". I am that target audience, being 35 as I am. It's strange, but I love me a game or two. Just knowing I can jump in and play it, even though I rarely ever do, is enough.

Awesome ad, but EXTREMELY evil, luciferian even. But it works. . . Not for me. . . But it works.

There was a period when I was kid when after renting video games (nintendo) at the video store on the drive home that I actually feared that my family would be killed in a car accident.... and I wouldn't get a chance to play the games. This is when Legend of Zelda seemed like alien technology. I can't imagine what kids go through now when they can all but virtually drink the blood of those they kill in video games.
brekin

Postby The Consul » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:51 pm

I can't wait for the next release where they throw puppies off cliffs, napalm hospitals, rape young girls in front of their fathers and throw babies in koran bonfires!

Coming tag lines: "There's a war criminal in all of us!"
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby jam.fuse » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:27 pm

This commercial doesn't bother me too much other than the soundtrack its coupled with as noted.

'Wow, I can play at being a deadly hi-tech killer for the empire even though I'm really just a regular schmuck in real life' type of a thing. Pretty transparent, obvious, stupid and I'm thinking, harmless fun, for those that go for such things, though I've admittedly never seen the actual game. I never really had the urge to ride a motorcycle with a shotgun in one hand and a samurai sword in the other decapitating random civilians, even after watching grand theft auto. People dress up as vampires for Halloween without actually feasting on human blood.

The canonization of narcotics agents coupled with the demonization of non-violent drug enthusiasts on a typical tv cop show I find a lot more insidious and offensive.

Also I don't see what's immoral about playing a video game while moving one's bowels, although its not very Zen I guess.
'I beat the Devil with a shovel so he dropped me another level' -- Redman
jam.fuse

Postby Simulist » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:16 pm

The Consul wrote:I can't wait for the next release where they throw puppies off cliffs, napalm hospitals, rape young girls in front of their fathers and throw babies in koran bonfires!

Well said.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Nordic » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:45 am

The Consul wrote:I can't wait for the next release where they throw puppies off cliffs, napalm hospitals, rape young girls in front of their fathers and throw babies in koran bonfires!

:thumbsup
Nordic

Postby The Consul » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:26 pm

It gives cause for geat concern on what kind of fascistic entertainment the Rolling Stones cannon can next be lent.
Will ensuing wars have theme songs? Soundtracks? Is there anyway to get scantilly clad sexy chicks more involved? If you are going to be wasted, why not have your guts ripped apart by Angelina, or J-Lo? And, also, what lies beneath those birkas, anyway?
Is there a more nauseating indication of this ever spreading sickness?
I feel like the whole world before they supposedly found out what AIDS is and called it an acronym. GOP, DEM, HMO, CBS, NBC, HIV, SOL...

When the Whip Comes Down....now there is a song just waiting for a game that fully exploits blood lust and perversions of all manner, can be sold in E for everyone, M for Mature and J for jackoff version (liability commentary by Malcolm McDowall).
How bout Brown Sugar....seems a rare thing we ever "light up" any of the farer complected peoples.
And of course, Midnight Rambler is utterly irresistable as a night vision goggle level of...what shall we call the game...how about GENOCIDE: Patriot's Duty...and the song plays as sleeping families are slaughtered in their dirt floor bedrooms where they'be been hiding for days.
Jumpin' Jack Flash is perfect for simulated low level warthog bomb runs of playgrounds.
Keith Richards Lois Vitton crossover ads pimping fashion and his autobio can easily airbrush out the vintage Martin and replace it with an M-294 SAW.
The sky is the limit for Rollingstones Inc and Tour of Duty.
I can imagine how the meeting ended...."well, lads, I think we're going to make a killing."
Oh god, if it weren't for Madison Avenue we would all go insane.
Or would we, possibly.......do something else?
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:37 pm

The Consul wrote:It gives cause for geat concern on what kind of fascistic entertainment the Rolling Stones cannon can next be lent.
Will ensuing wars have theme songs? Soundtracks? Is there anyway to get scantilly clad sexy chicks more involved? If you are going to be wasted, why not have your guts ripped apart by Angelina, or J-Lo? And, also, what lies beneath those birkas, anyway?

Hold your nose. This one really reeks.

EDIT: The documentary "Sountrack To War", about the use of music (mostly rap and metal) by soldiers in Iraq can be watched here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 297243731#

A doco made in late 2003 by Australian Journalist George Gittes. Gittes talks to U.S soldiers and Iraqi's about their favourite music. An amazingly insightful doco coming from a strange angle. Alot of his footage ended up in Michael Moores "Farenheit 9-11". The most touching moment is an Iraqi band who do a PERFECT version of the Bee Gee's "New York Mining Disaster". Also, we will see an Iraqi heavy metal band who have gained some recent fame in the West.

It's quite fascinating. Bound to have been posted before, though.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby 12#4 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Gave Black Ops a spin, on a black box. Actually my own black minitower computer. In a nod to cheapskates Treyarch (the developers) appear to have coded the game at minimum requirements lower than the advertised spec, as I was not expecting it to run on my box.

Elements are heavily borrowed from earlier titles in its own series and other popular franchises including F.E.A.R. An accomplished button-masher will complete the single player in a few hours. Not much value in building an extended single-player experience. Killing one's "friends" online in massive multiplayer is the real prize "shooters" are selling.

-A storyline involving psyops, a main character named "Mason" starts out in some mind control laboratory with a SAW-like psycho voiceover interogating him.
-Disturbing flashback scenes played throughout at near seizure-inducing speeds and tonalities. Heavy use of profanities more than any title in the series.
-Assassination missions including Castro (Bay of Pigs alternate history), and against the enitre Russian nuclear program, introduced with a creepy scene where the main character points a pistol at JFK (while having a flashback, during another flashback about the Black Ops briefing.)

Not too long after 9/11 I read somewhere that Dubya's natsec team and Hollywood sat down together and did lunch. Or something.

Black Ops to me would be the culmination of that meeting of the mnds. More gore. More videodrome programming for those stunted young minds who need to get outside more and stop abosrbing this crap and taking hypnotic cues from it. The next LHO patsy is out there somewhere, probably playing it right now.
12#4

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion