The War On Teachers

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The War On Teachers

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:40 pm

Very good radio summary of the "reform" campaign.

Against the Grain, for January 31, 2011 - 12:00pm

Private foundations, including Bill Gates’s, are pouring billions of dollars into efforts to remake our public schools. Joanne Barkan finds these market-based initiatives and their wide-ranging impacts deeply disturbing.

Download this clip (mp3, 10.27 megabytes)
http://archives.kpfa.org/data/20110131-Mon1200.mp3

Play this clip in your Computer's media playerLink:
http://www.kpfa.org/archives/20110131-Mon1200.m3u

Original page:
http://www.kpfa.org/archive/id/67225

[...from comments...]

Raf wrote:Hi C.S.,

I most always enjoy your topics. One suggestion of a topic related to this one is the over emphasis of objective thinking in education and popular media. There's an ideology closely related to this right wing form of social engineering that school reform comes from that wants people to adhere to the belief that all things are quantative objects and can explained with numerical formulas. It devalues reading comprehension, critical thinking, art, expression, and creativity. In a broader way of looking at this social engineering project, the goal seems to be to develop generations of mindless robots that accept a narrow way of looking at things that is handed to them by authority figures with no way of thinking for themselves.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby pepsified thinker » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks very much for this thread. I'm a teacher and have felt pretty fu*ked over by Obama and Fox and so on. The Superman movie was like a sock in the gut.

Glad to see it being taken apart.

Still a tidal wave of b.s. vs. public schools/union teachers, but helps that there's people are calling it what it is.

Sad too, because there are kids who we could do a lot to help if we weren't dancing to the tune of testing, the whole testing, and only the testing.
"we must cultivate our garden"
--Voltaire
pepsified thinker

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:22 pm

pepsified, what do you teach? I'm glad if this thread gives you comfort.

Meanwhile, sorry to say...

Michelle Rhee urges Florida to abolish tenure, fire 8% of K-12 teachers.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... 439x381671

TFA founder says not necessary to overcome poverty (in ridiculously solicitous Mother Jones interview)
http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... 439x404449
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby pepsified thinker » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:27 pm

High School social studies. Good stuff! Love the subject--hate to grade papers. Til I do it, then I love that too.

About Rhee--just saw this. Maybe it's the beginning of the end for her?

Rhee faces renewed scrutiny over depiction of students' progress when she taught
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/10/AR2011021007240.html

By Nick Anderson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, February 10, 2011; 8:52 PM

Former D.C. schools chancellor Michelle A. Rhee, known for her crusade to use standardized test scores to help evaluate teachers, is facing renewed scrutiny over her depiction of progress that her students made years ago when she was a schoolteacher.

A former D.C. math teacher, Guy Brandenburg, posted on his blog a study that includes test scores from the Baltimore school where Rhee taught from 1992 to 1995. The post, dated Jan. 31, generated intense discussion in education circles this week. In it, Brandenburg contended that the data show Rhee "lied repeatedly" in an effort to make gains in her class look more impressive than they were.

Rhee, who resigned last year as chancellor, denied fabricating anything about her record and said Brandenburg's conclusion was unfounded. But she acknowledged this week that she could have described her accomplishments differently in 2007, when then-Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) selected her to be chancellor.

At issue is a line in Rhee's resume from that year that described her record at Harlem Park Elementary School: "Over a two-year period, moved students scoring on average at the 13th percentile on national standardized tests to 90 percent of students scoring at the 90th percentile or higher."

On Wednesday evening, Rhee said she would revise that wording if she could. "If I were to put my resume forward again, would I say 'significant' gains?" Rhee said. "Absolutely."

Rhee's record is of more than historical interest to many teachers who are skeptical of her brand of school reform and say test scores are an unreliable gauge of performance.

As chancellor, Rhee made growth in test scores a key metric for measuring the effectiveness of educators. Achievement trends factored into decisions about whether to fire principals. Many teachers were rated in part on whether their students gained or stagnated on test scores in reading and math. Those with poor evaluations under the system Rhee called IMPACT faced possible dismissal.

The study Brandenburg posted, published in 1995 by researchers with the University of Maryland Baltimore County and Towson University, is stored in an online federal archive. It drew a small amount of attention in 2007. Now it is getting a fresh look.

The study found modest, uneven gains in various grade levels at the school in a review of results from the Comprehensive Test of Basic Skills. There were no separate results for Rhee or any other Harlem Park teacher. The study also noted that many students at the struggling Baltimore school were not tested.

But the results were presented in enough detail to raise questions about whether any single class could have made strides of the magnitude Rhee depicted on her resume.

Rhee said she taught second grade for two years, then third grade in 1994-95. In that year, Rhee said, her class made a major leap in achievement.

The study found that third-graders overall at the school made gains that year in reading and math. But they finished nowhere near the 90th percentile.

The reading scores, when converted to percentile rankings, indicate that students moved from about the 14th percentile as second-graders in 1993-94 to the 46th or 47th percentile as third-graders the next year.

The math scores for the same span suggest movement from the 37th percentile to the 53rd or 54th. (Percentiles are used to compare student performance. A student at the 50th percentile would have scored higher than half of all students tested and lower than the other half.)

The study found that the number of students tested varied each year, injecting another element of uncertainty.

Rhee addressed questions about her resume in 2007. At the time, she acknowledged that there was no documentation to back up the assertion of performance at the 90th percentile. She said then that the source of the information was the school's principal, Linda Carter.

In 2007, Carter and others connected with the school corroborated Rhee's account in general terms without citing specific figures. A Baltimore schools spokeswoman said Thursday that Carter no longer works for the system. Efforts to reach the former principal were unsuccessful. On Wednesday, Rhee reiterated what she had said in 2007. "All I can go off of is what my principal told me," she said.

Brandenburg, who retired in 2009 after teaching for more than 30 years, said the study presents "clear evidence of actual, knowing falsehood" by Rhee.

Frederick M. Hess, an analyst with the American Enterprise Institute, disagreed. "There's simply no way with these data to say anything, good or bad, about Rhee's teaching performance," he wrote in a blog post Thursday.
"we must cultivate our garden"
--Voltaire
pepsified thinker

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:19 am

So obviously the Walker-Wisconsin conflict and the other attacks on public service unions in Ohio, New Jersey, Tennessee and other states are also part of the War on Teachers.

The following, from last year, was a one-post thread from Username, about a Juan Gonzalez story. Thanks to a tax credit you can actually make a profit by contributing to charter schools! Explains a lot. Reminds me also of "social impact bonds" which I covered here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21495&p=382416#p382416

So incredibly much is done nowadays to set the rich up with government-guaranteed returns. This goes past the traditional carrying of externalized costs and subsidies from the public sector to allow profit for private producers. Old news. Now the government offers pure-paper, zero-risk options for an automatic return, as with the banksters being given loans at near-zero percent that they stick into T-bills for 3 percent.

Username wrote:~
Evil Ed, Inc: the Wall Street-Charter School Connection

by paul rosenberg
May 9, 2010

This post first appeared on Open Left.

In America, conservatives couldn’t kill the welfare state because it was too popular, so they decided to re-purpose it for conservative ends. These are their stories.

If you thought that Wall Street couldn’t get more destructive, think again. And if you that the charter school movement couldn’t get even more removed from serving the public good, you also need to think again. On Friday, NY Daily News columnist Juan Gonzalez wrote a column about how big investors can double their money in seven years using a special tax credit to invest in charter schools, and he also discussed what he uncovered in a brief segment on Democracy Now! which he co-hosts with Amy Goodman. Here’s how he summarized it on the air:

One of the things I’ve been trying now for a couple of years is to try to figure out why is it that so many hedge fund managers, wealthy Americans, and big banks, Wall Street banks, executives of Wall Street banks, have all lined-up supporting and getting involved in the development of charter schools. I think I may have come across one of the reasons. There’s a lot of money to be made in charter schools, and I’m not talking just about the for-profit management companies that run a lot of these charter schools.It turns out that at the tail end of the Clinton administration in 2000, Congress passed a new kind of tax credit called a New Markets tax credit. What this allows is it gives enormous federal tax credit to banks and equity funds that invest in community projects in underserved communities and it’s been used heavily now for the last several years for charter schools. I have focused on Albany, New York, which in New York state, is the district with the highest percentage of children in charter schools, twenty percent of the schoolchildren in Albany attend are now attending charter schools. I discovered that quite a few of the charter schools there have been built using these New Markets tax credits.

What happens is the investors who put up the money to build charter schools get to basically or virtually double their money in seven years through a thirty-nine percent tax credit from the federal government. In addition, this is a tax credit on money that they’re lending, so they’re also collecting interest on the loans as well as getting the thirty-nine percent tax credit. They piggy-back the tax credit on other kinds of federal tax credits like historic preservation or job creation or brownfields credits.

The result is, you can put in ten million dollars and in seven years double your money. The problem is, that the charter schools end up paying in rents, the debt service on these loans and so now, a lot of the charter schools in Albany are straining paying their debt service–their rent has gone up from $170,000 to $500,000 in a year or–huge increases in their rents as they strain to pay off these loans, these construction loans. The rents are eating-up huge portions of their total cost. And, of course, the money is coming from the state.

I’ve written before about the larger phenomena of which this is a part–the conservative’s re-purposing of the welfare state for conservative ends once they realized the impossibility of destroying it outright, because of its popularity. “What’s wrong with the third ‘Third Way’” provides an historical overview, and I’ve described examples in “Student Loan Debt–A Symptom of the Conservative Welfare State Shift”, “Superbowl Sunday highlights conservative welfare state in action”, and “Green grow the oil wells–oh!” (published just yesterday). So here is yet another one.

In his column, Gonzalez gave a more detailed view of what’s been going on:

In Albany, which boasts the state’s highest percentage of charter school enrollments, a nonprofit called the Brighter Choice Foundation has employed the New Markets Tax Credit to arrange private financing for five of the city’s nine charter schools.But many of those same schools are now straining to pay escalating rents, which are going toward the debt service that Brighter Choice incurred during construction.

The Henry Johnson Charter School, for example, saw the rent for its 31,000-square-foot building skyrocket from $170,000 in 2008 to $560,000 last year.

The Albany Community School’s rent jumped from $195,000 to $350,000.

Green Tech High Charter School rents went from $443,000 to $487,000.

Meanwhile, all the Albany charter schools haven’t achieved the enrollment levels their founders expected, even after recruiting hundreds of students from suburban school districts to fill their seats.

The result has been less money in per-pupil state aid to pay operating costs, including those big rent bills.

Several charters have fallen into additional debt to the Brighter Choice Foundation.

You’d think these financial problems would raise eyebrows among state regulators – or at least worry those charter school boards.

But the powerful charter lobby has so far successfully battled to prevent independent government audits of how its schools spend their state aid.

And key officers of Albany’s charter school boards are themselves board members, employees or former employees of the Brighter Choice Foundation or its affiliates.

This is obviously a very bad deal for the public. It’s even a bad deal for those who are true believers in the charter school sham. But it can be difficult to really understand what’s going on–and what’s fundamentally wrong with it–if you don’t stand back to see the larger picture. So, here’s a quick run-down.

When Otto von Bismark created the first conservative welfare state, it was designed to co-opt the Social Democrat’s most popular idea, while strengthening German industry internationally and strengthening the power of its elites internally by placing them in charge of caring for social needs. In America, the pattern is a little messier, as it represents a convergence of different conservative interests, all the while being disavowed as conservatives repeatedly claim to be against the “nanny state”. But here we can see at least five different conservative ends being served at once: (1) The attack on public education itself is a prime example of the attack on social democratic ideas and institutions, paralleling Bismark’s co-opting of the Social Democratic Party’s most popular idea. This serves to discredit public education, take money away from the public education system, and take money and jobs away from public employees and their unions. (2) The siphoning off of certain students into separate learning environments is part of the conservative agenda for inscribing hierarchical differences in society. (3) The creation of lucrative money-making opportunities funnels public money to more wealthy members of society. (4) The creation of private governance structures further strengthens the power of unaccountable conservative elites, weakening democratic control. (5) The private governance structures in turn empower crony networks that can also serve as organizing foundations for further consolidation of conservative power.

There is no way to effectively deal with these problems (conservative goals) in isolation. They need to be seen and combatted as a whole. If not, then one bad conservative idea will just be replaced by another, and another.

Of course this is easier said than done. But doing it begins with recognizing the nature of what needs to be done.
~

JackRiddler

Postby Jeff » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Obama to tour Miami school with Jeb Bush on Friday

WASHINGTON | Tue Mar 1, 2011 2:45pm EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama will tour a Florida school with former Governor Jeb Bush on Friday, the White House said, teaming up with a Republican Party heavyweight to promote bipartisan education reform.

White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters on Tuesday that Bush, whose brother George W. Bush preceded Obama as president, had suggested Miami Central High School as a good showcase for policies that work in improving performance in education.

Obama has shifted toward the political center following heavy losses for his Democrats in November elections and his success in finding common ground with political opponents will be a key part of his appeal in the 2012 presidential election.

"Governor Bush ... was committed and remains committed to bipartisan education reform. The president is as well. He's looking forward to that visit," Carney said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/ ... DO20110301
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Nordic » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:06 pm

Being "bipartisan" is pretty damn easy when there's really no difference between the two parties. Like in this case.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Jeff wrote:
Obama to tour Miami school with Jeb Bush on Friday

WASHINGTON | Tue Mar 1, 2011 2:45pm EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama will tour a Florida school with former Governor Jeb Bush on Friday, the White House said, teaming up with a Republican Party heavyweight to promote bipartisan education reform.

White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters on Tuesday that Bush, whose brother George W. Bush preceded Obama as president, had suggested Miami Central High School as a good showcase for policies that work in improving performance in education.

Obama has shifted toward the political center following heavy losses for his Democrats in November elections and his success in finding common ground with political opponents will be a key part of his appeal in the 2012 presidential election.

"Governor Bush ... was committed and remains committed to bipartisan education reform. The president is as well. He's looking forward to that visit," Carney said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/ ... DO20110301

President, Bush, Florida school. If Obama says that he's there "to promote a reading program that works," I'll be forced to evacuate New York.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:23 pm

madfloridian wrote:
From http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... 060#504139

Fri Feb-25-11 12:13 AM

Arne's words were precursor to recent attacks on teachers and unions. He bears responsibility.

I feel that his statement in 2010 about teachers and their unions was a precursor to the attacks against unions that are going on right now.

I do not kid myself at all on this topic. This administration is not standing with union members strongly. The attacks are unrelenting, and he has spoken only a very few words about it.

The reality is that there is little Democratic support for teachers and labor right now. Even those who have spoken out on the importance of unions are not on the air talking about it and expressing support. It's like the plan is to not make any waves, though the other side has no scruples at all.

I firmly believe that the attacks on teachers have happened more frequently since the appointment of Arne Duncan as Education Secretary. He has enabled them by creating an atmosphere in which the public school teachers are not respected.

Some examples:

From Education Week:

[url=http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/campaign-k-12/2010/04/duncan_1.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CampaignK-12+%28Education+Week+Blog%3A+Politics+K-12%29]
Duncan on Race to Top: Bold Reform More Crucial Than Buy-In[/url]

Today, in a routine conference call with the business community (he does this sort of outreach regularly), he declared: "At the end of the day we're going to the strongest proposals whether they have tremendous buy-in or not." (The department invited me to listen in on the call, which was to encourage business leaders to support states' Race to the Top efforts.)

Although broad collaboration and buy-in should remain a goal, he said, if a state's proposal is "more consensus but watered-down reform, that's not going to be a winning application.

In other words, try to get the unions to go along...but don't worry about it if they don't.

More from the Wall Street Journal from last year.

Unions, States Clash in Race to Top

Mr. Duncan said in an interview that he welcomed the friction between union and state officials but warned against states weakening their overhaul plans simply to win buy-ins from unions. "Watered-down proposals with lots of consensus won't win," he said. "And proposals that drive real reform will win."

The Race to the Top program, a centerpiece of Mr. Duncan's push to promote innovation, aims to reward states that are promoting charter schools, tying teacher pay to student performance and implementing systems to track students' progress.

In some states, the atmosphere has grown toxic. Indiana's state school superintendent, Tony Bennett, blamed union obstruction on Thursday for his decision drop out of the federal competition.

Indeed the atmosphere grew more hostile. The DOE came out and told unions they were unimportant.

Now there is deeper hostility, and few words from the administration at all.

From the beginning Arne Duncan made it clear he was implementing the education strategy of George W. Bush and his father.

Democrats implementing Bush education "reforms".

It turns out that Duncan, like the Bush administration, adores testing, charter schools, merit pay, and entrepreneurs. Part of the stimulus money, he told Sam Dillon of The New York Times, will be used so that states can develop data systems, which will enable them to tie individual student test scores to individual teachers, greasing the way for merit pay. Another part of the stimulus plan will support charters and entrepreneurs.

..."At the charter school, Duncan endorsed the core principles of the Bush education program. According to the account in the Times, Secretary Duncan said that "increasing the use of testing across the country should also be a spending priority." And he made this astonishing statement: "We should be able to look every second grader in the eye and say, 'You're on track, you're going to be able to go to a good college, or you're not...Right now, in too many states, quite frankly, we lie to children. We lie to them and we lie to their families."

He advocated using the education stimulus to develop more testing and more testing databases that tied teachers to test scores of students. In this he chose to set up a conflict between teachers' unions and the states and districts.

He succeeded, and the movement to destroy teachers' unions is well under way now.

Here is the most interesting article I read on the topic of these new "reforms." Lois Weiner, professor of education at New Jersey City University, pointed out that these same kinds of reforms had been tried before...in Chile under Pinochet.

Education professor says Arne's plans not unique to U. S., previously carried out in Chile.

Juan Gonzalez asked her about the reforms. Here is part of the transcript.

Gonzalez asks her to compare not only what’s happening here in the United States, but around the world, in terms of these so-called reform initiatives.

LOIS WEINER: Absolutely. And I think it’s important to understand that Race to the Top is not unique to the United States, and what Arne Duncan did in Chicago is not unique to Chicago. And in fact, the contours of this program were carried out first under Pinochet in Chile. And this program was implemented by force of military dictatorships and the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund in Latin America. And the results have been verified by researchers there. They produced increased stratification. So I think what we’re seeing right now are the results of that increased stratification, a stratification, inequality of results, because if you think about it, No Child Left Behind is almost a decade old. And what are the results? The results are a growing gap between poor minority—achievement of poor minority kids and those kids who come from prosperous families who are—who live in affluent suburbs and in those suburban schools.

Weiner went on to point out that teachers' unions were an impediment in this effort to deprofessionalize teaching. So they must go. They must be marginalized.

LOIS WEINER: Well, I think it’s important to understand that there are—No Child Left Behind is part of this global project to deprofessionalize teaching as an occupation. And the reason that it’s important in this project to deprofessionalize teaching is that the thinking is that the biggest expenditure in education is teacher salaries. And they want to cut costs. They want to diminish the amount of money that’s put into public education. And that means they have to lower teacher costs. And in order to do that, they have to deprofessionalize teaching. They have to make it a revolving door, in which we’re not going to pay teachers very much. They’re not going to stay very long. We’re going to credential them really fast. They’re going to go in. We’re going to burn them up. They’re going to leave in three, four, five years. And that’s the model that they want.

So who is the biggest impediment to that occurring? Teachers’ unions. And that is what explains this massive propaganda effort to say that teachers’ unions are an impediment to reform. And in fact, they are an impediment to the deprofessionalization of teaching, which I think is a disaster. It’s a disaster for public education.

It's as though our party's leaders are taking a hands off approach and letting the situation work itself out. I never expected I would see the day that would be stance of the Democrats.

I believe Arne perhaps inadvertently gave the green light for the present attacks when he set up the conflict between teachers' unions and everyone else.

I would like to see him be replaced by someone who has respect for the teaching profession. I don't think that will happen.

JackRiddler

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:24 am

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... p?ref=fpi#

Idaho Approves Bill To Cut Collective Bargaining For Teacher's Unions

Wisconsin's legislature may still be deadlocked over a proposal to restrict collective bargaining rights for public employee unions, but on Tuesday in Idaho, the state legislature approved a bill to do just that for the state's unionized teachers.

The law, which cleared the House by a 48-22 vote, would permit teachers to bargain solely for pay and benefits, but not for other aspects of their jobs, such as class size. The state Senate had approved the bill in February, and it now only needs to be signed by Gov. Butch Otter (R) -- who helped craft the bill -- to become law.

The bill, SB 1108, is part of Gov. Otter's Idaho' s Students Come First initiative, a larger legislative drive to reform the state's public schools. In addition to limiting collective bargaining, it also eliminates tenure, limits the length of teacher contracts to one year, and ends the so-called "last in, first out" method of determining which teachers to let go when layoffs must be made.

The bill would also bar collective bargaining altogether unless a union can prove that it represents at least half of all teachers in a given district.

A statement of intent included with the bill states its purpose:

This legislation returns decision-making powers to locally elected school boards and creates a more professional and accountable work force.

Supporters of the bill have said it is a necessary step toward reigning in public school spending; the bill's statement of intent claims the bill will save the state $9.4 million annually.

The Idaho bill is the latest effort to cut back on public employee unions' right to collectively bargain. Last week, the Ohio State Senate approved a measure to limit collective bargaining and prevent public employees from going on strike.

(full bill linked in article)
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:09 pm

Surprise! Diane Ravitch has been allowed at least one column in Newsweek, following the Jonathan Alter hit-piece of a few months ago (archived above), which combined sycophantic worship of Gates and a vicious personal attack on Ravitch.

"Win the future!" Duncan touring with Newt Gingrich. Obama with Jeb Bush. Texas schools "miracle" exposed as a complete fabrication, front-to-back (like you didn't smell the stink on the propaganda all these years). By 2014 the way will be clear for theoretically declaring every school in the nation in violation of NCLB, allowing huge cuts and mass firings. Given this long-term, relatively slow build-up toward dismantling both public education and the biggest remaining unionized work force in the name of "standards" and "educational reform," you gotta think that Walker and the Tea Party commandos must be perceived by the smarter neoliberals like Duncan and Obama and Cuomo as having crashed the party in an over-enthusiastic, counterproductive way that has finally mobilized street-level opposition.

Very nice summary of the 10-year war on schools.

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/03/20/obama-s-war-on-schools.print.html

Obama’s War on Schools

The No Child Left Behind Act has been deadly to public education. So why has the president embraced it?

by Diane Ravitch (/authors/diane-ravitch.html) March 20, 2011

Obama has made only cosmetic changes to George W. Bush's signature education crusade. Chip Somodevilla / Getty Images

Over the past year, I have traveled the nation speaking to nearly 100,000 educators, parents, and school-board members. No matter the city, state, or region, those who know schools best are frightened for the future of public education. They see no one in a position of leadership who understands the damage being done to their schools by federal policies.

They feel keenly betrayed by President Obama. Most voted for him, hoping he would reverse the ruinous No Child Left Behind (NCLB) legislation of George W. Bush. But Obama has not sought to turn back NCLB. His own approach, called Race to the Top, is even more punitive than NCLB. And though over the past week the president has repeatedly called on Congress to amend the law, his proposed reforms are largely cosmetic and would leave the worst aspects of NCLB intact.

The theory behind NCLB was that schools would improve dramatically if every child in grades 3 to 8 were tested every year and the results made public. Texas did exactly this, and advocates claimed it had seen remarkable results: test scores went up, the achievement gap between students of different races was closing, and graduation rates rose. At the time, a few scholars questionedthe claims of a “Texas miracle,” but Congress didn’t listen.

In fact, the “Texas miracle” never happened. On federal tests, the state’s reading scores for eighth-grade students were flat from 1998 to 2009. And just weeks ago, former first lady Barbara Bush wrote an opinion piece in the Houston Chronicle opposing education budget cuts on the grounds that Texas students ranked in the bottom 10 percent in math and literacy nationally. After two decades of testing and accountability, Texas students have certainly not experienced a miracle when judged by the very measures that were foisted on students across the nation.

NCLB mandated that 100 percent of students be proficient in reading and math by 2014. Any school not on track to meet this utopian goal—one never reached by any nation in the world—would face a series of sanctions, culminating in the firing of the staff and the closing of the school. As 2014 nears, tens of thousands of schools have been stigmatized as failures, thousands of educators have been fired, and schools that were once the anchors of their communities are closing, replaced in many cases by privately managed schools. NCLB turns out to be a timetable for the destruction of public education.

Because of the punitive character of the federal law, educators struggle to meet their testing targets. Many districts have reduced time for the arts, history, science, civics, foreign languages, physical education, literature, and geography. They devote more time to preparing students for the state tests in basic skills, which will determine the life or death of their schools. Some districts, such as Atlanta, have experienced cheating scandals. Some states, such as New York, lowered the passing mark on their tests to increase the number of students who were allegedly proficient.

Standardized-test scores can provide useful information about how students are doing. But as soon as the scores are tied to firing staff, giving bonuses, and closing schools, the measures become the goal of education, rather than an indicator.

So now come President Obama and Education Secretary Arne Duncan with their Race to the Top program. The administration invited the states to compete for $4.3 billion in a time of fiscal distress. To qualify, states had to agree to evaluate teachers by student test scores, to award bonuses to teachers based on student scores, to permit more privately managed charter schools, and to “turn around” low-performing schools by such methods as firing the staffs and closing the schools.

Race to the Top went even beyond NCLB in its reliance on test scores as the ultimate measure of educational quality. It asserts that teachers alone—not students or families or economic status—are wholly responsible for whether test scores go up or down. Now teachers rightly feel scape-goated for conditions that are often beyond their control. They know that if students don’t come to school regularly, if they are chronically ill, if they are homeless or hungry, their test scores will suffer. But teachers alone are accountable.

The Obama agenda for testing, accountability, and choice bears an uncanny resemblance to the Republican agenda of the past 30 years, but with one significant difference. Republicans have traditionally been wary of federal control of the schools. Duncan, however, relishes the opportunity to promote his policies with the financial heft of the federal government.

The confluence between the Obama agenda and the Republican agenda became clear in the fall of 2009, when Duncan traveled the country with Newt Gingrich to promote Race to the Top. And on March 5 of this year, President Obama flew to Florida to celebrate the test-score gains at a high school in Miami with former governor Jeb Bush, one of the nation’s most vocal proponents of conservative approaches to education reform.

In his recent State of the Union address, Obama rightly asserted that we must encourage innovation, imagination, and creativity so we can “win the future.” But the federal government’s emphasis on standardized tests subverts that lofty goal. Drilling children on how to take tests discourages innovation and creativity, punishes divergent thinking, and prioritizes skills over knowledge. And the endless hours devoted to test preparation certainly deaden students’ interest in school.

Emboldened by the Obama administration, as well as by hundreds of millions of dollars from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, many districts and states now plan to use test scores to evaluate teachers. Most of our nation’s leading testing experts think this is a risky path.

Teachers see these measures as an attack on their profession. Recently elected governors such as Scott Walker in Wisconsin and John Kasich in Ohio are ratcheting up the attack, pushing hard to end teachers’ collective-bargaining rights, while Mayor Michael Bloomberg in New York City, Gov. Chris Christie in New Jersey, and Gov. Rick Scott in Florida would like to eliminate seniority and due-process rights for teachers. Destroying the unions will silence the only organized voice that opposes draconian cuts to education budgets. Without that voice, schools can expect larger class sizes and reduced funding for the arts, school nurses, libraries, and other programs.

Many of our nation’s top teachers—some with National Board Certification—are so disgusted by the attacks on public education that they are planning a march on Washington in July. They plan to demand equitable funding for all public schools, an end to using test scores to punish schools and teachers, and involvement of parents and teachers in the decisions that affect their schools.

The only question is whether President Obama, Secretary Duncan, and Congress will hear their message about what’s best for our children—and best for our country.

Ravitch is a historian and author of The Death and Life of the Great American School System. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... daibea-20/)

JackRiddler

Postby Laodicean » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Who’s Bashing Teachers and Public Schools and What Can We Do About It?
by Stan Karp

The short answer to this question is that far too many people are bashing teachers and public schools, and we need to give them more homework, because very few of them know what they’re talking about. And a few need some serious detention.

But the longer answer is that the bashing is coming from different places for different reasons. And to respond effectively to the very real attacks that our schools, our profession, and our communities face, it’s important to pay attention to these differences.

The parent who’s angry at the public school system because it’s not successfully educating his/her children is not the same as the billionaire with no education experience who couldn’t survive in a classroom for two days, but who has made privatizing education policy a hobby, and who has the resources to do so because the country’s financial and tax systems are broken.

The educators who start a community-based charter school so they can create a collaborative school culture are not the same as the hedge fund managers who invest in charter schools because they see an opportunity to turn a profit or because they want to privatize one of the last public institutions we have left.

The well-meaning college grad who joins a Teach for America program out of an altruistic impulse is not the same as the corporate managers who want to use market reforms to create a less expensive, less secure, and less experienced teaching force.

And the hard-pressed taxpayer who directs frustration at teachers struggling to hang on to their health insurance or pensions—which far too few people have at all—is not coming from the same place as those responsible for the obscene economic inequality that is squeezing both.

In my home state of New Jersey, there’s a man named David Tepper who manages the Appaloosa Hedge Fund. Last year, Tepper made $4 billion as a hedge fund manager. This was equal to the salaries of 60 percent of the state’s teachers, who educate 850,000 students. But Gov. Christie rolled back a millionaire’s tax and cut $1 billion out of the state school budget, so people like Tepper would have lower taxes. It’s not only impossible to sustain a successful public school system with such policies, it’s also impossible to sustain anything resembling a democracy for very long.

What’s at Stake

I’ve spent a large part of my adult life criticizing the flawed institutions and policies of public education as a teacher, an education activist, and a policy advocate. But these days I find myself spending a lot of time defending the very idea of public education against those who say, sometimes literally, it should be blown up. Because the increasingly polarized national debate around education policy is not just about whether teachers feel the sting of public criticism or whether school budgets suffer another round of budget cuts in a society that has its priorities seriously upside down.

It’s really not even about the hot-button reform issues like merit pay or charter schools. What’s ultimately at stake is more basic. It’s whether the right to a free public education for all children is going to survive as a fundamental democratic promise in our society, and whether the schools and districts needed to provide it are going to survive as public institutions, collectively owned and democratically managed—however imperfectly—by all of us as citizens. Or will they be privatized and commercialized by the corporate interests that increasingly dominate all aspects of our society?

The corporate reformers’ larger goal, to borrow a phrase from the Democrats for Education Reform (DFER), a political lobby financed by hedge fund millionaires that is a chief architect of the current campaign, is to “burst the dam” that has historically protected public education and its $600 billion annual expenditures from unchecked commercial exploitation and privatization.

This is not some secret conspiracy. It’s a multisided political campaign funded by wealthy financial interests like hedge fund superstar Whitney Tilson and rich private foundations like Gates, Broad, and Walton. And it’s important to keep this big picture in mind, even as we talk about specifics like merit pay and charters, because these issues are the dynamite charges being put in place to burst the dam.

What is really new and alarming are the large strides that those promoting business models and market reforms have made in attaching their agenda to the urgent need of poor communities who have, in too many cases, been badly served by the current system.

The narrative of public education as a systematic failure has been fed in recent years by the shifting of federal policy away from its historic role as a promoter of access and equity in public education through support for things like school integration, extra funding for high-poverty schools, and services for students with special needs, to a much less equitable set of federal mandates around testing, closing schools, firing school staff, and distributing federal funds through competitive grants to “winners” at the expense of “losers.” Taken together these policies, embodied first in NCLB and now in a “Race Over the Cliff,” have helped create an impression of public education as a failure that is steadily eroding the common ground it needs to survive.

Democrats have been playing tag team with Republicans to build on the test-and-punish approach. Just how much this bipartisan consensus has solidified came home to me when I picked up my local paper one morning and saw Gov. Christie, the most anti-public education governor New Jersey has ever had, quoted as saying, “This is an incredibly special moment in American history, where you have Republicans in New Jersey agreeing with a Democratic president on how to get reform.”

Under NCLB this bipartisan consensus used test scores to move decisions about teaching and learning away from classrooms, schools, and districts to state and federal bureaucracies. Test score gaps have been used to label schools as failures without providing the resources and strategies needed to eliminate the gaps.

Today a deepening corporate/foundation/political alliance is using this same test-based accountability to drill down further into the fabric of public education to close schools, transform the teaching profession, and increase the authority of mayors and managers while decreasing the power of educators.

What we’re facing is a policy environment where bad ideas nurtured for years in conservative think tanks and private foundations have taken root in Congress, the White House, and the federal education department, and are now aligned with powerful national and state campaigns fueled with unprecedented amounts of public and private dollars.

Unless we change direction, the combined impact of these proposals will do for public schooling what market reform has done for housing, health care, and the economy: produce fabulous profits for a few and unequal access and outcomes for the many.

The corporate/foundation crowd has successfully captured the media label as “education reformers.” If you support charters, merit pay, and control of school policy by corporate managers you’re a reformer. If you support increased school funding, collective bargaining, and control of school policy by educators, you’re a defender of the status quo. This is hardly a surprise in a media culture that allows FOX News to call itself “fair and balanced,” but it does make intelligent debate about education policy more difficult.

Confronting Poverty

This is particularly true when it comes to the way the issue of poverty is being framed.

One lesson I’ve learned over the years is that school power comes in many pieces. And these pieces, large or small, can be used to promote social justice. Not only on big issues like funding equity or federal and state policy, but also daily inside our classrooms in the choices we make in our teaching, assessment, and curriculum practices; in the relations between our schools and the communities they serve; and in the way our unions advocate for the needs and rights of our students and families along with our own interests as teachers.

Serving schools with high numbers of students in poverty is no excuse for bad teaching, poor curriculum, massive dropout rates, or year after year of lousy school outcomes. We need accountability systems that put pressure on schools to respond effectively to the communities they serve. In my experience, parents are the key to creating that pressure, and teachers are the key to implementing the changes needed to address it. Finding ways to promote a kind of collaborative tension and partnership between these groups is one of the keys to school improvement.

But the idea that schools alone can make up for the inequality and poverty that exist all around them has increasingly become part of the “no excuses” drumbeat used to impose reforms that have no record of success as school improvement strategies. In fact, many are not educational strategies at all, but political strategies designed to bring market reform to public education. We used to hear that the “single most important school-based factor” in student achievement was the quality of the teacher. Now even the school-based qualification is being left out. Instead we’re hearing absurd claims about how super-teachers can eliminate achievement gaps in two or three years with scripted curricula handed down from above, and how the real problem in schools is not the country’s shameful 23 percent child poverty rate or underfunded schools. Instead, it’s bad teachers.

Now it’s absolutely true that effective teachers and good schools can make an enormous difference in the life chances of children. And it’s also true that struggling teachers who don’t improve after they’ve been given support and opportunities to do so need to go manage hedge funds or do some other less important work.

But when it comes to student achievement—and especially the narrow kind of culturally slanted pseudo-achievement captured by standardized test scores—there is no evidence that the test score gaps you read about constantly in the papers can be traced to bad teaching, and there is overwhelming evidence that they closely reflect the inequalities of race, class, and opportunity that follow students to school.

Teachers count a lot. But reality counts, too, and “reformers” who discount the impact of poverty are actually the ones making excuses for their failure to make poverty reduction and adequate and equitable school funding a central part of school improvement efforts. The federal government has put more effort into pressing states to tie individual teacher compensation to test scores and eliminate caps on charter schools than encouraging them to distribute more fairly the $600 billion they spend annually on K-12 education.

Instead, at a time when corporate profits and economic inequality are at their highest levels in the history of the country, the U.S. secretary of education says that schools must get used to the “new normal” and do more with less. For Arne Duncan and Bill Gates, cutting education budgets is not a problem, it’s an opportunity. They are now traveling the country proposing that schools save money by increasing class sizes, ending pay for teachers’ experience and advanced degrees, closing schools, and replacing real classrooms with virtual ones.

At the same time they want to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to create more tests based on the new common core standards and use those tests to implement merit pay plans.

No Value in ‘Value Added’

At this point spending more money on standardized tests to track academic achievement gaps is like passing out thermometers in a malaria epidemic. People need better health care, more hospitals, and better-trained doctors. They don’t need more thermometers.

There is no research that shows that paying teachers to raise test scores improves student achievement, raises graduation rates, increases college participation, narrows academic gaps, or produces any of the positive school outcomes that policy makers say they seek.

Test-based teacher evaluation systems have the potential to seriously damage the teaching profession. The National Academy of Sciences found 20 to 30 percent error rates in “value-added” ratings systems based on their own dubious premises. Teachers in the bottom group one year were often in the top group the next and vice versa. The same teachers measured by two different standardized tests produced completely inconsistent results. The basic assumptions of these testing systems are at odds with the way real schools actually work. Bending school practices to accommodate them could negatively affect everything from the way students are assigned to classes to the willingness of teachers to serve high-needs populations and the collaborative professional culture that good schools depend on for success. They would also require yet another massive increase in standardized testing to deal with the fact that less than 25 percent of teachers in most school systems teach math and language arts, which is what most states currently test.

When you add the practice now under way in cities like Los Angeles and New York of publishing these psychometric astrology ratings in the paper next to the names of individual teachers, you have a recipe for community chaos and educational tragedy.

These plans are not about helping schools develop better systems to support teacher effectiveness; they are obstacles to it. For example, in Maryland, the Montgomery County Education Association negotiated a professional growth system that included test scores as one part of an evaluation process that looks at student outcomes, classroom performance, professional responsibilities, advanced degrees, and other factors. The process requires all new teachers and teachers who’ve been identified as struggling to work with well-trained teacher coaches over a two-year period to improve their practice and results. The system has resulted in a significant increase in teacher quality, including decisions, jointly supported by the union and administration, to remove several hundred teachers from the classroom over a period of years. But last year Maryland won a Race to the Top grant that, under federal pressure, requires 50 percent of teacher evaluations to be based strictly on test scores. The grant threatens to destroy a successful system developed by collective bargaining that actually works to improve results for teachers and students.

The Changing Character of the Charter Movement

The last issue I want to discuss is charter schools. As you know if you’ve seen Waiting for “Superman,” charter schools are being hailed as a kind of new magic reform bullet.

Charter schools have an interesting history that has often been overlooked in the current debate. The first charter schools were initiated by Albert Shanker and the American Federation of Teachers in New York City in the late ’80s and ’90s. They were originally designed as teacher-run schools that would serve students who were struggling inside the regular system and would operate outside the reach of the administrative bureaucracy and the highly politicized school board. These first charters also drew on early rounds of small high school experiments initiated by teachers or community activists as alternatives to large comprehensive high schools. But, after a few years, Shanker became concerned that the charters and small schools were fragmenting the district, creating unequal tiers of schools serving different populations of students with unequal access, and also weakening the collective power of the teachers’ union to negotiate with the administration about districtwide concerns. So he pulled back at a time when there were still very few charters. Instead, he and other union leaders focused on the standards movement, which for them became the primary engine for reform.

But charters continued to grow slowly. Individual states, beginning with Minnesota, began to pass laws to promote the formation of charters, partly as a model of reform and partly as the construction of a parallel system outside the reach of both teachers’ unions and, in some cases, the federal and state requirements to serve and accept all students. And this charter movement gradually began to attract the interest of political and financial interests who saw the public school system as a socialist monopoly ripe for market reform.

In the past 10 years, the character of the charter school movement has changed dramatically from community-based, educator-initiated local efforts to create alternatives for a small number of students to nationally funded efforts by foundations, investors, and educational management companies to create a parallel, more privatized system.

Today there are about 5,000 charter schools in the United States that enroll about 4 percent of all students. Although charter laws are different in each state, in general charter schools are publicly funded but privately run. Few justify the hype they receive in Waiting for “Superman,” and those that do, like the schools featured in the film, are highly selective, privately subsidized schools that have very limited relevance for the public system. It’s like looking for models of public housing by studying luxury condo developments.

The most complete study of charter school performance, by Stanford University, found that only 17 percent of charter schools had better test scores than comparable public schools and more than twice as many did worse. And, unlike charter schools, traditional public schools accept all children, including much larger numbers of high-needs students and students without the heroic, supportive parents seen in the film. In most states charters do not face the same public accountability and transparency requirements that public schools do, which has led to serious problems of mismanagement, corruption, and profiteering.

Charter school teachers are, on average, younger, nonunionized, and less likely to hold state certification than teachers in traditional public schools. In other words: less expensive.

As many as one in four charter school teachers leaves every year, about double the turnover rate in traditional public schools. The odds of a teacher leaving the profession altogether are 130 percent higher at charters than traditional public schools, and much of this teacher attrition is related to dissatisfaction with working conditions.

Charter schools typically pay less and require longer hours. But charter school administrators often earn more than their school district counterparts. Geoffrey Canada of the Harlem Children’s Zone and Eva Moskowitz of the Harlem Success Academy, two schools featured in the film, are each paid close to half a million dollars.

This is not to deny the reform impulse that is a real part of the charter movement. Many times during my 30 years of teaching at my large dysfunctional high school in Paterson, I wanted to start my own school. And many of the issues that public school advocates like myself criticize in charters—like the tracking, creaming, and unequal resources—exist within the public system too. But public schools have federal, state, and district obligations that can be brought to bear. There are school boards, public budgets, public policies, and public officials to pressure and hold accountable in ways that privatized charters don’t allow. In post-Katrina New Orleans, where more than 60 percent of all students now attend unequal tiers of charter schools, there are students and parents who cannot find any schools to take them.

In too many places, charters function more like deregulated “enterprise zones” than models of reform, providing subsidized spaces for a few at the expense of the many. They drain resources, staff, and energy for innovation away from other district schools, often while creaming better prepared students and more committed parents. This is especially a problem in big city public systems that urgently need renewal and resources but are increasingly being left behind with the biggest challenges. Nowhere have charters produced a template for effective districtwide reform or equity.

No one questions the desire of parents to find the best options they can for their children. But at the level of state and federal education policy, charters can provide a reform cover for dismantling the public school system and an investment opportunity for those who see education as a business rather than a fundamental institution of democratic civic life. This doesn’t mean charter school teachers or parents are our enemies. On the contrary, we should be allies in fighting some of the counterproductive assessment, curriculum, and instructional practices raining down on all of us from above. We should find more and better ways to integrate charters into common systems of accountability and support. Where practices like greater autonomy over curriculum or freedom from bureaucratic regulations are valid, they should be extended to all schools.

But any strategy that promotes charter expansion at the expense of systemwide improvement and equity for all schools is a plan for privatization, not reform.

What Are We Fighting For?

It took well over a hundred years to create a public school system that, for all its flaws, provides a free education for all children as a legal right. It took campaigns against child labor, crusades for public taxation, struggles against fear and discrimination directed at immigrants, historic movements for civil rights against legally sanctioned separate and unequal schooling, movements for equal rights and educational access for women, and in more recent decades sustained drives for the rights of special education students, gay and lesbian students, bilingual students, and Native American students. These campaigns are all unfinished and the gains they’ve made are uneven and fragile. But they have made public schools one of the last places where an increasingly diverse and divided population still comes together for a common civic purpose.

But the system’s Achilles’ heel continues to be acute racial and class inequality, which in fact is the Achilles’ heel of the whole society.

Those who believe that business models and market reforms hold the key to solving educational problems have, as noted, made strides in attaching their agenda to the urgent need of communities that have been poorly served by the current system. But their agenda does not represent the real interests or the real desires of these communities:

* It does not include all children and all families.

* It does not include adequate, equitable, and sustainable funding.

* It does not include transparent public accountability.

* It does not include the supports and reforms that educators need to do their jobs well.

* It does not address the legacy or the current realities of race and class inequality that surround our schools every day.

Where we go from here, as advocates and activists for social justice, depends in part on our ability to reinvent and articulate this missing equity agenda and to build a reform movement that can provide effective, credible alternatives to the strategies that are currently being imposed from above.

Because, in the final analysis, what we need to reclaim is not just our schools, but our political process, our public policy-making machinery, and control over our economic and social future. In short, we don’t only need to fix our schools, we also need to fix our democracy.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/03/28-11
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:33 am

Possible train wreck for Michelle Rhee? We've seen that the Chicago (Duncan) and New York (Bloomberg/Klein) success measures of the last decade, rising test scores, were the result of macro-stat manipulations. The charter school myth is based on cherry-picking the successful ones (ignoring that charters per se are not better than the public school system), ignoring that they can reject students and also how much money the successes have compared to their public "competitors."

Maybe Rhee added a turbo boost to this kind of cheating?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/edu ... print.html

Henderson asks inspector general to investigate test erasures
By Bill Turque, Tuesday, March 29, 10:30 PM

Acting Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson asked the D.C. inspector general Tuesday to investigate reports that sharp gains in some standardized test scores may have been the result of cheating.

She made the request after a USA Today investigation found unusually high rates of erasures in which students apparently corrected their answer sheets for standardized tests between 2008 and 2010.

More than 100 D.C. public schools had the unusual rates of erasures, in which wrong answers were replaced by correct ones. One seventh grade classroom, at Noyes Education Campus in Northeast Washington, averaged 12.7 wrong-to-right erasures per student on the 2009 DC CAS reading test. The citywide average that year was less than one per test.

Henderson also released a series of reports from a test security firm the District hired to investigate elevated erasure rates at eight schools, including Noyes, in 2009. The firm, Caveon Test Security, said it found no evidence that staff tampered with answer sheets.

While Henderson said she had complete confidence in Caveon, she said she referred the matter to Inspector General Charles J. Willoughby to eliminate doubts about test security and affirm the integrity of the teachers involved.

“These poor teachers are now tainted,” Henderson said. “They were cleared by an investigation. I feel like I owe it to them to remove the taint.”

But District testing procedures may face added scrutiny. D.C. Council Chairman Kwame R. Brown (D) said Tuesday evening that he might hold hearings on the erasures. Such an inquiry could feature subpoenas for school officials who declined to speak to USA Today, including Wayne Ryan, former principal at Noyes. Ryan has since been promoted to an instructional superintendent.

“We are seriously considering looking deeper into this matter,” Brown said, “maybe subpoenaing people to come testify about who told who to do what.”

Ripples from the erasure disclosures also have reached former chancellor Michelle A. Rhee, whose high national profile as an education reformer was based in part on test score growth during her three-plus years overseeing the D.C. school system.

In an interview with PBS’s Tavis Smiley that was broadcast Tuesday evening, Rhee pushed back at those questioning the validity of District test scores, suggesting that critics doubt the ability of D.C. schoolchildren to excel academically.

“Often times when the academic achievement rates of a district like D.C. go up, people assume that it can’t be because the kids are actually attaining higher gains in student achievement but that it’s because it’s something like cheating, which in this case was absolutely not the case,” Rhee said.

In addition to Noyes, the schools Caveon investigated for their 2009 erasures rates were Birney, Burrville, Stanton and Tyler elementaries, Shaed and Walker Jones education campuses and Sousa Middle School.

Versions of the Caveon reports made public Tuesday evening are heavily redacted, concealing even the names of the school principals. They consist of brief narrative descriptions of interviews with teachers whose classrooms were “flagged” for high erasure rates. In some instances, teachers who Caveon officials sought to interview were not available. All interviewees denied any improprieties and said all security procedures were followed.

In summaries of their findings for each school, investigators attributed high erasures to factors such as improved test preparation that called for students to look over the answers carefully before finishing. Caveon officials also repeated positive comments they received about improved academic culture at the schools under scrutiny.

“We were told that there has been a culture change at Tyler and the school is now much more orderly and discipline has improved,” investigators John Olson and Dave Couchman reported.

turqueb@washpost.com

© 2011 The Washington Post Company

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:39 pm

Ha! The Schadenfreude Train makes a new stop!

JackRiddler on DU wrote:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... 439x836743

Cathie Black Is Out! The official schadenfreude and hope thread.

Good news is where you find it, I guess.

Following last year's DC election, when voters ran Michelle Rhee out of town, the neoliberal assault on public education has today suffered a second important personnel setback. Cathie Black must go, thanks to a mix of popular opposition and rejection by Bloomberg administration officials.

Of course the schemes of the Billionaire Boys and their federal allies will continue. They will keep pushing to privatize, charterize, rate and merit-pay, surveill and computerize, and do anything else as long as it doesn't mean hiring more teachers to reduce class size and paying them what they deserve. Or god forbid, acknowledging that maybe the neighborhoods could use some help, too.

Today's signal is that there are actually limits on the monarchical corporatist power of Prince Bloomberg to appoint his business cronies as satraps. Fact is, this brief happy moment only came about because Black worked so hard to make a fool of herself.

She was misanthropic and nasty with the public, didn't know how to camouflage the dictator style she learned as a corporate bosschief, and so painfully unqualified and ignorant of education that last week her deputies started quitting on her. No one wanted to appear in public alongside her.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/ ... cellor/?hp

Updated, 1:09 p.m. | Cathleen P. Black, a magazine executive with no educational experience who was named New York City schools chancellor last fall, stepped down Thursday, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg announced.

SNIP

Ms. Black’s resignation, which comes on the heels of the departures of several other high-ranking education officials, was nearly as surprising as her appointment. When Mayor Bloomberg plucked her from Hearst Magazines to run the nation’s largest public school system, people in New York and across the country — including some of the mayor’s closest aides — were stunned.

Ms. Black will be replaced by Deputy Mayor Dennis M. Walcott, who has long aided the mayor in educational matters, Mr. Bloomberg announced at the news conference, at 11:30 a.m. at City Hall.

SNIP

Ms. Black’s time as chancellor was troubled from the start. During her three months on the job, she offended parents with an offhand joke about birth control and bewildered City Hall aides when she seemed to mock a crowd of parents protesting the closing of a school. Aides complained that she required intensive tutorials on every aspect of education policy. And on Monday, a NY1-Marist poll put Ms. Black’s approval rating at 17 percent, the lowest ever for a Bloomberg administration official.

Black at the public meeting where she mocked parents protesting school closing:

Walcott at press con:

Walcott interview, light biographical questions, at least he's been involved with public schools, education and social work in various capacities his whole life:
http://schools.nyc.gov/AboutUs/SchoolNe ... alcott.htm

Now the less encouraging news:

Different Chancellor, Same Agenda; Meet Dennis Walcott

By Azi Paybarah
April 7, 2011 | 1:42 p.m

Lee Saunders, a boisterous national labor leader, interrupted a speech he was giving in midtown this morning to read from a piece of paper handed to him by an aide.

"Cathie Black is resigning?" he said, somewhat unsure. The crowd jumped to their feet, applauding and cheering.

That's pretty much how the rest of New York City greeted the news that Mayor Bloomberg was ending the three-month tenure of Ms. Black, which was highlighted by verbal sparring with parents, repeated departures of top aides and among the worst approval rating of any New York City official ever.

Taking over for Black will be Deputy Mayor Dennis Walcott, who's been with Mayor Bloomberg since the Wall Street entrepreneur first stepped inside City Hall in 2002. Before that, he was president of the Urban League (which got fund-raising help from all sorts of people, including the rap group Public Enemy).

SNIP

http://www.observer.com/2011/politics/n ... is-walcott

And a very bad endorsement:

Michelle Rhee on Dennis Walcott: 'Committed to Bold Reforms'

By Reid Pillifant

April 7, 2011 | 2:45 p.m

SNIP

"Through Deputy Mayor Dennis Walcott's work for the last several years in the Bloomberg administration, he has proven himself committed to the bold reforms New York's schools and students deserve," Rhee said in a statement to The Observer this afternoon.

Rhee has long been a champion of Mayor Bloomberg's reform efforts, and the two enjoy such an overlap of education ideology, that there were rumors she might succeed former Chancellor Joel Klein.

Instead, Bloomberg picked Cathie Black, with Rhee issuing an optimistic statement saying Black's professional experience had "no doubt prepared her well for the challenges that lie ahead," which turned out not to be the case, as Black's brief tenure will mostly be remembered for a series of gaffes.

SNIP

"A former teacher and a product of the city's school system, he is uniquely qualified to connect with students, teachers and parents," she said. "I applaud Mayor Bloomberg's ongoing commitment to mayoral control of New York's school system and to ensuring that every child has access to great teachers and excellent schools."

http://www.observer.com/2011/politics/m ... ld-reforms

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose?

Charles Barron tells it like it is with regard to Bloomberg's instant appointment of a new chancellor.

SNIP

Q. There have been a series of high profile resignations in the past few days. Had you increased pressure over Black since all these Deputy Chancellors departed?

A. We'd stayed on them. We had never let up the pressure. Those of us in the Freedom Party, and those of us unafraid to stand alone. Some critics criticized her, and the minute she was appointed and they'd beat back the lawsuits, they backed away. We kept the pressure on. The parents, you have to give a lot of credit to the parents, who got arrested. I've still got to go back to court over that on the 13th. But I think all that pressure forced Bloomberg to see her as a political liability, with their numbers going down and all of that stuff. But the sad part is that we wasted three months, where we could have had somebody very credible in there taking care of our children. We wasted so much time. And that's what really angers me. It's hard to dance it the street because they got rid of somebody so incompetent. She should have never been there.

Q. Do you think Mr. Walcott is also incompetent?

A. Dennis? I think they should just open it up to a search. Let him put his credentials in a process with others, and then let a panel that includes some city council members, educators, parents, let them come and determine who is the best chancellor for our children. I'm not one to judge his competency. He certainly may look good on paper. He's been in the system a long time, but he's been in a systems that hasn't been working. I am not here to judge him. I am angry at the Mayor, for putting us through this with Cathie and then doing it again. Dictating who the next one is going to be instead of a going through a process.

(sigh...)

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... rron_1.php

And a Voice column about her "hell week" is very telling...

SNIP

School parents roasted you at a schools hearing with a rap song when they found out you never attended a public school. That week, we came up with the list of reasons why people hated you, including the fact that "Donald Trump Likes You."

Eventually, you were finally confirmed to the job, albeit only along with "someone who could actually do your job." Shael Polakow-Suransky became your BFF/co-worker and the Deputy Chancellor for Performance and Accountability.

Remember January 3rd? That was your first day of school! You took a nice little tour of different schools from all five boroughs. You must have been exhausted But you had gaffes to make -- many, many gaffes to make.

You answered a question on overcrowding with a bad joke: "Could we just have some birth control for a while? It would really help us." Then you compared dealing with overcrowding to Sophie's Choice? Holocaust jokes are never a good look.

SNIP

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... t_hits.php

Meanwhile, more Rhee demolition in another article that tells the whole story of School Deform quite well:

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_ ... rhee_lyons

Wednesday, Apr 6, 2011 21:01 ET

Michelle Rhee: Education reform huckster
The myth that schools are best run like businesses is emphatically demolished

By Gene Lyons

Reuters/Hyungwon Kang

Except for weight loss potions, no area of American life is more prone to fads, panaceas and miracle cures than public education. Everybody agrees that schools are failing, and since everybody went to school almost everybody's an expert.

Naturally, it's assumed that the biggest experts are those with the most money. Hence the philanthropic enterprises of what Bob Somerby calls the "Billionaire Boys Club" draw outsize attention. Whether it's New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg or Microsoft's Bill Gates, the guy with the thickest wallet is assumed to have all the answers.

Even when that person's badly misinformed. Consider Gates' recent speech to the National Governor's Conference. "Over the past four decades, the per-student cost of running our K-12 schools has more than doubled," the great man claimed, "while our student achievement has remained virtually flat ... To build a dynamic 21st-century economy and offer every American a high-quality education, we need to flip the curve."

Alas, this is well-meaning demagoguery. Sure, costs are up. But so is overall student performance. According to National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) -- the "gold standard" of educational testing -- American kids have actually done better in reading and math since about 1980. Richard Rothstein of the Economic Policy Institute summarizes the data:

"American students have improved substantially, in some cases phenomenally. In general, the improvements have been greatest for African-American students, and among these, for the most disadvantaged. The improvements have been greatest for both black and white 4th and 8th graders in math. Improvements have been less great but still substantial for black 4th and 8th graders in reading and for black 12th graders in both math and reading."

You'd think this would be good news. But like TV evangelists, education reformers peddling miracle cures often exaggerate others' sins.

Before going further, it should be stipulated that nobody's yet found a means or motive for cheating on NAEP surveys.

That's definitely not so with regard to the kinds of tycoon-endorsed, multiple-choice testing regimens favored by educational celebrities like ex-Washington, D.C., public schools chancellor Michelle Rhee -- currently making TV appearances in support of a foundation she calls StudentsFirst.

MichelleFirst might be more accurate. Having appeared on the covers of both Newsweek and Time, the Cornell graduate starred in the pro-privatization documentary "Waiting for Superman." She rose to prominence largely due to her self-proclaimed brilliance as an elementary school teacher in inner-city Baltimore.

Rhee's résumé described her students' near-miraculous success: "Over a two-year period, [Rhee] moved students scoring on average at the 13th percentile on national standardized tests to 90 percent of students scoring at the 90th percentile or higher."

Not on any bell curve I've ever seen. If a basketball coach said something so improbable, skeptics would check the record.

Presumably because Rhee's tale fits so conveniently with Jeffersonian idealism that sees potential genius everywhere, it was treated as gospel throughout the national media. Philanthropists like Bloomberg and Gates appear to have swallowed it whole.

Until Rhee antagonized many educators by running Washington schools like underperforming Wal-Mart outlets, that is: Scolding teachers as lazy, incompetent and worse, hiring and firing left and right.

See, the latest panacea is all about running schools like businesses: Top-down management, strict accounting, merit pay; basically, talking about opportunity and equality, but acting like Donald Trump.

During three tumultuous years as chancellor, Rhee sacked dozens of principals and over 600 teachers until D.C. voters turned Mayor Adrian Fenty out of office in an election in which her tenure was a major issue.

Ah, but Rhee had become famous for making the trains run on time, handing out $1.5 million in bonuses to principals and teachers of Washington schools that produced dramatic jumps in student achievement.

Except now it appears she really didn't. An exposé by USA Today reveals that scores of high-performing Washington schools displayed "extraordinarily high numbers of erasures on standardized tests. The consistent pattern was that wrong answers were erased and changed to right ones."

Furthermore, "[a]mong the 96 schools that were then flagged for wrong-to-right erasures were eight of the 10 campuses where Rhee handed out so-called TEAM awards." Although Rhee and current D.C. school officials declined comment, the newspaper interviewed parents who'd become suspicious when their struggling children brought home sky-high test scores.

Although the national media appear determined not to notice, similar testing scandals have taken place in New York, Texas, Georgia, California -- basically anywhere school funding and/or jobs have been linked directly to multiple-choice testing. Private charter schools as well as public schools, incidentally.

"This is like an education Ponzi scam," a teacher's union official told USA Today. "If your test scores improve, you make more money. If not, you get fired. That's incredibly dangerous."

Oh, and the Baltimore miracle? Confronted with contemporaneous test scores dug up by a skeptical teacher, Rhee admitted to the Washington Post that she’d soften that 90th percentile business to "significantly."

Arkansas Democrat-Gazette columnist Gene Lyons is a National Magazine Award winner and co-author of "The Hunting of the President" (St. Martin's Press, 2000). You can e-mail Lyons at eugenelyons2@yahoo.com. More: Gene Lyons

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:18 am

The following by a Jim Wright of Arkansas I ran across and suspect in some ways to be a perspective typifying the experience of someone in a "red state" (the religious stuff, anyway). Whatever you think of his summary -- he should ask where school fails that it produces such hatred of it in a large number of people who attend it -- most items on his long list of teacher-bashing quotes and memes apply to those who bash teachers generally, wherever they may be found.

Warning: your sense of syntax may be offended.

http://www.stonekettle.com/2011/04/teac ... g-101.html

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Teacher Bashing 101

The education system is a Marxist ideology that has no place in capitalistic America…

That comment appeared on a conservative education forum.

I was invited to the site by a reader, the topic under discussion was, of course, teachers.

The comments were predictable, interspersed with the usual illiterate logical fallacies and unfocused rage, but it was that statement above which I really thought summed up the gist of the conversation. The entire thing goes like this:

The education system is a Marxist ideology that has no place in capitalistic America. It has become a financial burden on the American Tax Payer. The American Education System is a symbol of a failed ideology, an ideology that was conceived with good intentions, but with misguided application. For example, one of the many flawed practices of the American model is forcing people to attend, who don't have an ounce of interest in learning.

I checked twice, but no, the comment wasn’t, in fact, signed Ayn Rand – but somebody was sure channeling her bitter old bourgeois ghost.

I excused myself from the conversation without commenting - not because discretion is the better part of valor, but rather because my dad taught me at a young age not to piss into the the wind.

Though probably better articulated than most, unfortunately the comment above isn’t an isolated thought.

Bashing teachers, and the US education system in general, is an increasingly popular pastime. It’s been going on for years, decades, this growing contempt and distaste for public education by a certain segment of American society. It’s a symptom of a greater problem, the perception by that same segment of America that their country is somehow in decline. And not only in decline, but being taken away from them. It’s a symptom of what Alvin Toffler called Future Shock. For certain people, change is bad, something to be feared and hated. Those fears, those hatreds, are often greatly amplified during periods of uncertainty, unrest, and especially during economic downturn. A perception of complexity compounds the situation, and the world is an increasingly complex place (This is true no matter when you live, it was always simpler in the past, less complicated, fewer responsibilities, easier to understand through the filter of nostalgia).

Misery loves company, and nothing brings people together like a perception of shared misery. In times of uncertainty, when the world changes and people feel like they have lost control of their own destiny, they tend to band together to share their tales of woe – and there’s nothing worse for angry miserable people than to surround themselves with other angry miserable people. They tend to feed on each other, inventing a shared illusion of misery that perversely makes them feel better, like they are part of something and therefore not so alone in a strange and alien world. Ask any recovered alcoholic, the hardest obstacles to pass on the road to sobriety are your beer-buddies, those “friends” who keep enjoining you to have another drink. It’s important to remember that the first step on that road is to accept responsibility for your own actions.

It is human nature to reject responsibility when things go bad, it’s the first rule in a car accident: Never admit fault, always blame the other guy. This is true on the grand scale as well and history is rife with examples. When a country is perceived to be in decline by a vocal segment of its population, whether or not it actually is, it is inevitable that someone will be blamed. In Czarist Russia, it was Alisa Zinov’yevna Rosebaum’s (Ayn Rand’s) bourgeois relatives – which eventually led her to America and the Marxists who confiscated her father’s business directly shaped her worldview and later egoist philosophy, and continue to shape the worldviews of her many admirers including the current Chairman of the House Budget Committee, Tea Party Republican Paul Ryan.

Ryan, and those like him, perceive America to be in decline, and in fact they believe that America has been in decline since the 1960’s.

Someone must be blamed.

Always, always, it’s the homosexuals, it’s the immoral, the irreverent, the filthy foreigners, the elites. It’s the bourgeois. It’s the Liberals.

And no one epitomizes that more in the mind of the hardcore nationalist than teachers.

After the revolution, when the purges begin, it is the teachers who are taken to the wall first.

It is always the professors who are the first residents of the gulag and the concentration camps, even before the politicians and the despots.

The schools always burn first.

A teacher and novelist, Susan Straight, recently penned an Op-Ed piece in the Los Angeles Times titled Teaching, The Most Important Profession. Straight wrote lovingly about being a teacher, about her passion for the profession and how important she thought it was. Her words make you wish she was your kid’s teacher. Then Straight talked about her own daughter, about how proud she was that her child had also chosen to become a teacher. But that pride was tempered by “all the contempt and anger being hurled at teachers right now, it's alarming to be sending a daughter into the crossfire, especially when new teachers are the first to be threatened with pink slips. The growing scorn for public school teachers is at every level of education. Teachers are blamed for bad test results, for disrespectful students, for failing schools. They are thought to be lazy, draining public coffers with their monthly salaries and pension benefits.” Susan Straight goes on to speak of Conservative contempt for teachers and education, she talks a bit about responsibility, and how America’s education system compares to others around the world. Straight’s article is well worth the read, but likely if you’re a regular here at Stonekettle Station there will be little in it to surprise you – the reason I direct your attention to it is this: Straight’s observations are proven immediately correct in the comments under the article.

Here’s a representative sample (edited for brevity and fair usage rules, not for content or intention, follow the link above to read the comments and article in full at the LA Times):

…I can tell you why teachers are getting such a bad rap. For starts[sic] they acted more like terrorist[sic] in Madison then they did educators… As long as teachers want to keep teaching that homosexuality is OK , class warfare, and social justice and diversity they will continue to recieve[sic] my ire.

…Fire the bottom 25% of incompetent teachers and admins and [California’s] education will turn around over night. I'm sure of it. It's the low life lazy and incompetents that are ruining the entire system…

…every year at least a thousand teachers are caught in compromising situations that involve students. we need to hold teachers to the same standards as Doctors…

…Teachers [are] mainly liberal drones who taught me and people like me that the west was bad and America was the worst of the worse…

… Them that can DO, them that can't TEACH... Must be nice to make your living telling others how to do their job, but never being responsible for getting a job done. Suggestion: Every third year each teacher must contract tutor, proving to the rest of us that they really know how to earn a living. ie. marketing and sales…art of compromise…produce a product… account for income and expenses, pay taxes, make enough profit to sustain your tutoring business and your personal needs, handle legalities. Then we might be confident that our children are being taught real world valuable knowledge instead of utopian communist dribble.

…but they ALREADY get three months of time off!!! NO ONE ELSE gets that much time off!

…Bad teacher's need to be fired period!

…the reason a lot of [people are contemptuous of teachers] is because those same teachers have advocated for illegal immigration for their own selfish purposes…

…teachers think the only place that students can learn is because of themselves. What an absolute idiotic thought…

…they have NO respect for others who work in other professions; they do not have any respect for parents who have to juggle schedules due to your outrageous vacation time… Teacher's first year is hard - but after that they coast and use the same teaching plans year after year after year after year after year…

… in teacher's cases, you see most of them skip out of school at 2:00 p.m. and hit the local malls, enjoy a nap - while everyone else struggles to 8:00 p.m. at night to pay for your outrageous RETIREMENT, you luxury vacation time, your out of this world benefit coverage…

…If teachers did a real job for five years before they became a teacher, they would be a whole lot better than today's lot of whiny brats we have teaching our children…You think you work hard – obviously you have never held a real job in your life…

...all they care about are three things: June, July and August...plus tenure…

…I learned little from my teachers - they only graded me on the knowledge I acquired from reading which my mother taught me. Most of the teachers I have met in my adult life would readily admit that the reason they went into teaching is to have the summers off…

… Teacher's are NOT more noble than the general workplace. See, this is the "I am special" attitude….In the end, teaching is really just a job. A well paid one at that with amazing benefits...

…ALL WEALTH and ALL JOBS ultimately come from the private sector. The private sector are those individuals with drive, intelligent, creativity, flexibility, risk taking that keeps our country a float. We rely on them for everything. Public workers just take...don't create…

There are several hundred more comments, there are few positive ones – mostly from teachers, desultorily trying to defend themselves – but the majority are like those above. If you’ve got a minute, you should take the time to read them all. See, the folks who wrote those comment vote for the politicians who are currently dismantling public education in Ohio, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, California, and likely soon in your state. If you want to know who is going to shape your country’s future, read the comments, then do a Google News search for “Teachers” and “Education Reform” and read those articles and the associated comments. Then log into a few conservative Tea Party forums and read the comments under the education threads there.

I made a list of common themes:

- Teachers have no right to representation. Collective representation equals Marxism, communism, socialism, fascism, totalitarianism, and so on. Everybody has the right to choose, but only if they choose not to be represented. Public sector employees work for the taxpayer, only private sector workers have the right to representation. Each teacher should have to negotiate with the public for their salaries.

- Teachers make too much money. Good teachers aren’t in it for the money, Good teachers are teachers because they are noble, selfless, principled, moral, decent, upright, gallant, polite, self-sacrificing, magnanimous, virtuous, just, and dedicated. If you expect to make a living wage as a teacher, you are ipso facto a bad teacher QED.

- Teachers only work nine months out of the year. Most teachers became teachers because they get summers off. They use that time off to vacation in the Bahamas.

- Teachers can’t be fired ever. No matter what. No matter how bad they are. Period. End of story.

- Teachers only have to work six hours a day. Teachers spend their afternoons napping or hanging out at the mall.

- Teachers are arrogant. Teachers think education makes you a better person. Teachers think education is important. Because teachers have lots of education, they have the gall to think of themselves as better educated in education than people who aren’t educated in education – like parents. I.e. Teachers think they are special. Remember folks, American exceptionalism doesn’t apply to teachers, that’s only for people who don’t go to college.

- Teachers do not create a product. Teachers do not work at “real” jobs. Teachers do not create wealth or add value. Teachers should have to work at real jobs before being teachers. Periodically they should stop teaching and get a real job.

- Most teachers are incompetent. Most teachers are bad teachers. That’s a fact, you can look it up.

- Most teachers will be caught having sex with students. That’s another fact, it’s totally true and you can look that up too.

- All Teachers are liberals who hate America. Teachers hate Jesus and they want to make our kids into gay Muslim atheist communist illegal aliens who hate America, i.e. Liberals.

- It’s all Obama’s fault.

The sheer hatred and utter contempt for teachers, for public education itself, is appalling.

Logical fallacies, faulty reasoning, and a mob mentality are symptomatic of this worldview. This is the mindset that burned witches at the stake. This is the mindset that carried out the Holy Inquisition. This the mindset that created the Gulag and the concentration camp. This is the mindset that destroyed civilization and brought on the dark ages.

This is the worldview that seeks to affix blame and avoid responsibility.

You want to know why America’s education system is in a shambles? You want to know who is a responsible? You want to know why a lot of teachers aren’t motivated? Why they get sick and tired of coming to work? Why fewer and fewer are choosing to stay in the classroom? Why selfless dedication and nobility just aren’t cutting it any more?

It’s because when you try to teach Language Arts, a dozen angry parents demand that you be fired because the reading assignment mentioned Islam.

It’s because when you try to teach geography, a dozen angry parents demand that you be fired because you mentioned AIDS in Africa.

It’s because when you try to teach Social Studies, a dozen angry parents demand that you be fired because the subject matter included a gay man.

It’s because when you try to teach Economics, a dozen angry parents demand that you be fired because you described systems other than just capitalism.

It’s because when you try to teach Home Economics, a dozen angry parents demand that you be fired because you mentioned birth control.

It’s because when you try to teach History, a dozen angry parents demand that you be fired because you didn’t describe only those things that directly support the concept of American Exceptionalism.

It’s because when you try to teach Biology, a hundred angry parents demand that you be fired for not allowing their children to write “Jesus Did It” on the evolution test.

It’s because when you try to teach Earth Science, a hundred angry parents demand that you be fired because you forgot to mention that global climate change is a lie because God made a deal with Noah after the Great Deluge.

It’s because when you try to teach Physics, a hundred angry parents demand that you be fired for teaching how radioactive decay can be used to date things that are older than 6000 years.

It’s because when you try to teach music or art, when you try to expand the library, when you want to update the computer lab, a hundred angry parents demand that you be fired for taking money away from things that matter in the real world, i.e. football.

It’s because people have been led to believe that paying public school teachers a living wage is bad because they are paid from taxes, whereas paying private school teachers a living wage is good because they are paid from private funds and you’re only trying to attract the best of the best.

It’s because people have deluded themselves into believing that Charter Schools are some kind of panacea, a magical fantasyland where every teacher is Ayn Rand, the lunch ladies practice Laissez-faire economics in the cafeteria, creationism rules the halls, and abstinence-only birth control is the watch word at the homecoming game. (Question, since Charter School teachers are in fact not public employees, is it ok for them to organize? Hello? Is this thing on?)

It’s because a vocal minority of angry people, egged on by grandstanding pundits and small-minded politicians, denigrate and disdain education itself at every turn.

It’s because this same vocal minority glorifies stupidity and revels in ignorance and condemns education as elitism.

It is because they are afraid.

Afraid that their children will become more than themselves.

Posted by Jim Wright at 10:51 PM

JackRiddler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion