Giffords shooting

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Giffords shooting

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Simulist wrote:Based on what is said to be his YouTube video, Jared Lee Loughner, the alleged shooter and Afghanistan war veteran, appeared to believe that "the government" is using "mind control" to brainwash "the people" by "controlling grammar."

[EDIT: Changed "people" to "the people"]

Very interesting that in this video he introduces himself using the standard political assassin lingo: Jared Lee Loughner.

Oh, and I'm with Canadian Watcher on this one.

Maybe this IS exactly as it "seems," but to me, it's a bit too convenient for those who want to ratchet up the homeland security state, while discrediting the right (who don't need much help in this regard, incidentally).
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Canadian_watcher » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:11 pm

so I watched the video, as requested (after I made my past post)

I guess I cannot tell that he was a young white guy after all.

But.. I also think that flag burning is kind of a non-starter with the tea party crowd, isn't it?

Bruce & Simulist - whew, thanks!
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby sunny » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:13 pm

This MIGHT be exactly what it looks like. It's not impossible, unlikely, or all that surprising when hate-mongering speech rouses hateful, violent actions in the weak-minded.
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby pepsified thinker » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:23 pm

Some bad info in the rush to cover this, so maybe later reports will be different, but in light of the videos, the Afghan vet bit is interesting. Those videos are VERY wigged out. If they're genuine, I'd expect he's a vet now because someone in the military said "this guy's playing with something short of a full deck". I'm wondering what his former teachers, army buddies, etc. will hae to say.

If he's as unhinged as the videos suggest, I'm guessing he bounced around off various groups--trying to connect and being gently led to door with a 'thanks but no thanks' message of some sort.

But I had the same thought as Canadian Watcher--although I'm seeing the lone-nut profile as legit, it does seem a bit too convenient.

Thing is, I don't see a lot gained by going after Giffords or Roll. They're not people wish a lot of political mo-jo.

--or was there about to be a big break in the 'former Bush DoD official found in a dump' story? Maybe this is a distraction from something.
"we must cultivate our garden"
--Voltaire
pepsified thinker

Postby Simulist » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Whatever the truth behind these terrible actions turns out to be, they will almost certainly be used — and are already being utilized by establishment mouthpieces like Clint Van Zandt — to marginalize all sorts of people whose opinions fall outside the boundaries deemed acceptable by (and therefore suspected as "dangerous" to) that establishment.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Simulist » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:37 pm

Bruce Dazzling wrote:Very interesting that in this video he introduces himself using the standard political assassin lingo: Jared Lee Loughner.

I didn't catch that, Bruce. Thanks for cluing me in.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby DoYouEverWonder » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Canadian_watcher wrote:
DoYouEverWonder wrote:
Canadian_watcher wrote:okay, okay.. I'm going to play Dark Advocate here...

where's all the rigour? Seems to me that the lot are buying in hook line & sinker to the 'this is obviously some right wing lunatic who was egged on by crosshairs formations on a Tea-Bag Queen's website" I mean duh. Clearly that's what we're supposed to think.

Maybe it will turn out to be true.. but usually this place is full of minds that do not immediately lap up the pap. right? From where I sit "they've" got your number on this one.

Go watch his 'favorite' video that I just posted above and then tell me this guy isn't a teabagger who went off the deep end.

All I can really tell is that he's a young white guy who (allegedly) went off the deep end.
Down with all young white guys!

edited to add 'allegedly'

No, down with all haters.

Palin, Limpballs and Beck preach hate 24/7. Then everyone's surprised when some white guy decides to carry out his violent fantasies.

I'm just glad he's not a Muslim.
DoYouEverWonder

Postby Canadian_watcher » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:46 pm

DoYouEverWonder wrote:
Canadian_watcher wrote:
DoYouEverWonder wrote:

where's all the rigour? Seems to me that the lot are buying in hook line & sinker to the 'this is obviously some right wing lunatic who was egged on by crosshairs formations on a Tea-Bag Queen's website" I mean duh. Clearly that's what we're supposed to think.

Maybe it will turn out to be true.. but usually this place is full of minds that do not immediately lap up the pap. right? From where I sit "they've" got your number on this one.

Go watch his 'favorite' video that I just posted above and then tell me this guy isn't a teabagger who went off the deep end.

All I can really tell is that he's a young white guy who (allegedly) went off the deep end.

Palin, Limpballs and Beck preach hate 24/7. Then everyone's surprised when some white guy decides to carry out his violent fantasies.

I preach love but I"m always shocked when others take up my cause.

BTW, did this guy kill himself.. I actually have not watched any news coverage of the event at all yet.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby P45 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:50 pm

P45

Postby Luther Blissett » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:56 pm

Canadian_watcher wrote:
DoYouEverWonder wrote:
Canadian_watcher wrote:
DoYouEverWonder wrote:

I preach love but I"m always shocked when others take up my cause.

BTW, did this guy kill himself.. I actually have not watched any news coverage of the event at all yet.

No, the report says that he was tackled by someone from Gifford's team after exhausting all his ammunition, and was arrested when the sheriff arrived.

My intuition is telling me that this is just an ever-so-slightly-more-loony-than-normal tea party kid who shot a congresswoman who had voted for the health care bill.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Luther Blissett » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:57 pm

What is the specifically political gain from this? I can think of none. Perhaps distraction, as plaited earlier.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby stoneonstone » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:What is the specifically political gain from this? I can think of none. Perhaps distraction, as plaited earlier.

New Congress. Warning shot (literally) to remind them of mortality, get into line etc. etc..

What I love is no one in the mainstream has pointed out the "Palin Cross-hair" capture yet, while talking, like CNN 'let's talk about the Tea-Party on this' which I heard last hour.

It'll cow the liberal, and encourage the mad...which is the intent. If she survives (astronaut husband (Hugh, where are you...I Dream of Jeanie as pre-programming)), then I expect the death of the judge will be played up as a prime fear angle, and become the excuse for more civil liberty eradications.

GH
stoneonstone

Postby Crow » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:23 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:What is the specifically political gain from this? I can think of none. Perhaps distraction, as plaited earlier.

Well, if I were a liberally-inclined or moderate politician, I'd be nervous right now. Wouldn't you? I'd be afraid I'd be the next one shot for not going along lockstep with the right-wing agenda.
Crow

Postby Simulist » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:What is the specifically political gain from this? I can think of none.

For one thing, it will be utilized to reinforce the well-cultivated public sentiment that those who think "outside the lines" are potentially dangerous persons.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a "political gain" for one political party over the other; rather it'll just be another win for an ambidextrous establishment which draws the boundaries — using both "left" and "right" hands — that the people come to police themselves to live and think in.
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Canadian_watcher » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:29 pm

Distraction, gun control, the madness of the tea-party (which may have madness, but mostly since it's been co-opted), fear of 'fringe elements' in society, phobia of veterans, anti-immigrant sentiment (if the judge was the target)...

Canadian_watcher

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion