School-Shootings Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: School-Shootings Thread

Postby Elvis » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:06 am

Bodyguard Blanket the latest bulletproof product to protect US students during school shootings

June 10, 2014

An Oklahoma company has created a bulletproof blanket that children can wear like a backpack to shield themselves in the case of a school shooting.

The Bodyguard Blanket, which costs $1000, is the latest body armour product targeted at school students in the United States, where parents and schools can already buy bulletproof jackets, backpacks, and whiteboards.

Gun-control lobby groups say there were at least 44 school shootings in the US - an average of more than three a month - between December 2012 and February 10, 2014.

Steve Walker, a father of two, came up with the idea for the blanket after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in 2012 and a tornado in Oklahoma last year that killed 24 people, including students at a school that had no tornado shelter.

The pad can also be used to protect children from flying tornado debris and is being billed as a cheaper alternative to building tornado shelters.

Mr Walker, whose day job is as a podiatrist, organised for manufacturing company ProTecht to make the blanket.

"We wanted our children to have a layer of protection immediately," Mr Walker is quoted as saying in a press release about the product.

"They can be stored in the classroom and when seconds count, they can be easily applied," he said

ProTecht managing director Stan Schone told the The Sydney Morning Herald that no schools or organisations had yet purchased the blanket, which has been on the market for 10 days.

"However, we are setting many sales presentations with school districts around the USA which means it is only a matter of time before we have those large sales to report," Mr Schone said.

"One thing that has been a great surprise to us is the number of requests by individuals to purchase the blankets and we have had a constant flow of orders all day today and this is our first day to take individual orders."

According to the makers, the students can put the blankets on their back and line-up in the hallway to "develop a shield like the Romans and Greeks used to lock together".

The blanket is advertised as military-grade and able to provide protection against 90 per cent of the weapons that have been used in school shootings. It is made from high-density ballistic-resistant plastic and has straps which children can clip around them to have "head-to-toe defence".

The developers say the blanket has passed the National Institute of Justice 3A Test, which is used to test body armour for police, and means it can protect people against projectiles including bullets from a 9mm, a 12-gauge buckshot and a .22-calibre gun.

Other "school safety" bulletproof products on the market include panels that can be inserted into backpacks, clipboards that can absorb "multiple magazines of ammunition from handguns or shotguns" and "peel-n-stick door armour".

It is unlikely we will see the market make waves in Australia any time soon.

"NSW government schools are overwhelmingly safe places," a NSW Department of Education and Training spokesman said.

"The department is not in a position to speculate about the use of bulletproof blankets for students."

http://www.smh.com.au/world/bodyguard-b ... z34DfJL1W2

“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:18 am

^^^^^You have got to be fucking kidding me. It's come to this. It has come to this.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby elfismiles » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:46 am

TRICIA'S TRUE CRIME RADIO SUNDAY NIGHT 8 PM EASTERN

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/websleuths ... astern.mp3

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HAPPENING? WHY ARE OUR KIDS PICKING UP GUNS AND KNIVES AND KILLING EACH OTHER?

WE'LL TRY AND ANSWER SOME VERY HARD QUESTIONS WITH DR. PETER LANGMAN. DR. LANGMAN IS THE AUTHOR OF, "WHY KIDS KILL: INSIDE THE MINDS OF SCHOOL SHOOTERS." ALSO PLEASE CHECK OUT DR, LANGMAN'S WEBSITE http://WWW.SCHOOLSHOOTERS.INFO

DR. LANGMAN HAS A NEW BOOK COMING OUT THAT WILL HELP US IDENTIFY POTENTIAL SCHOOL SHOOTERS. WE'LL DISCUSS HIS NEW BOOK AND MORE.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/websleuths ... pm-eastern

Dr. Peter Langman, author of Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School
Shooters, is a sought-after expert who provides trainings in identifying and
assessing potential school shooters and preventing rampage attacks. His
trainings are highly valuable for professionals in education, mental health,
and law enforcement.

Dr. Langman serves on Pennsylvania’s Joint State Government Commission’s
Advisory Committee on Violence Prevention. After the Sandy Hook attack,
his recommendations on preventing school shootings were presented by the
ceo of the American Psychological Association to President Obama.

A psychologist who has helped children and adolescents for twenty-five years,
Dr. Langman combines professional experience with evaluating at-risk youth
with his extensive research on shooters at Columbine, Virginia Tech, and
elsewhere. Dr. Langman has earned international recognition for his powerful
analysis in Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters, which was
named a 2009 Outstanding Academic Title by the American Library Association,
and described as “a vital, phenomenal, extremely valuable work.”

His research has been cited in Congressional hearings on Capitol Hill and
featured in articles carried by The New York Times, The Washington Post,
The Los Angeles Times, Forbes, USA Today, Education Week, Junior Scholastic,
msnbc, Yahoo News, and thousands of other news outlets. Dr. Langman has
been interviewed over 150 times by journalists in the U.S., Canada, Europe,
Australia, and the Middle East, and he has appeared on CBS, CNN, Fox, and
the BBC. His book has been translated into German, Dutch, and Finnish.

Dr. Langman maintains the website www.schoolshooters.info. This is the
largest online collection of materials relating to school shooters, and is
viewed by thousands of people each year.

“He was amazing. The time flew and I learned so much about the minds of
school shooters.”

“I was impressed by his knowledge [and] ability to answer all questions, and
the fact that he used nothing but a piece of paper as a guide blew my mind.”

“Excellent presenter! Very informative, interesting, and surprising all at
the same time! I would love to invite him to my school district for a
presentation!”

Past Presentations
National Association of School
Safety and Law Enforcement Officers
(NASSLEO)
National Behavioral Intervention
Team Association (NaBITA)
Pennsylvania Juvenile Officers
Association
Lehigh Valley Charter High School
for the Arts
Hannibal, Missouri School District
& Police Department
Wisconsin Juvenile Officers
Association
Grand Rapids, Michigan School
District Security
Manitoba Association of Secondary
Teachers of At Risk Students
Pennsylvania Psychological
Association
… and many others

http://www.schoolshooters.info/PL/Home_ ... _flyer.pdf
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:39 pm

Along similar lines as the bullet-proof blankets. Some interesting comments at link as well as demonstration video

Muscatine teacher’s invention could save your child’s life
Posted 4:04 pm, June 10, 2014, by Caroline Reinwald, Updated at 06:47pm, June 11, 2014

It’s the last thing a teacher wants to have to think about: what to do in case a shooter is in the building.

Mass shootings in the past year like Sandy Hook, and the one at an Oregon high school on Tuesday, have led a few Muscatine middle school teachers to take action, and invent a device that will protect their classrooms.

“The Sleeve” is a 12-gauge carbon steel case that fits around the door’s closer arm, securing the door from the inside. The Sleeve can withstand more than 550 foot-pounds of force, making it nearly impossible to open from the outside.

Daniel Nietzel, a teacher at West Middle School in Muscatine, got the idea from the school’s active shooter training.

“We were instructed to tie a belt or a cord around the closer arm. It seemed like a logical way to secure a door without having to go into the hallway, [but] it took us a long time to get a cord, stand on a chair, and tie a knot, which could potentially be the most important tie of your life.” said Nietzel.

“I can tell you in our training, all five rooms that the teachers were trained in; the doors were breached, the cords were ripped, and the officer who was portraying the active shooter came in and killed all of us,” Nietzel said.

That’s when Nietzel and his colleagues formed the company, Fighting Chance Solutions, and began designing blueprints for The Sleeve. He said it’s been ten months in the making, but they finally have it ready and waiting for patent.

“We look at it as a cheap insurance policy. If you have someone out in the hallway, and you have an active situation, a dangerous situation unfolding and [don't] want to go out into the hallway and lock your door, we want to provide you with a way to close that door,” said Nietzel.

The Sleeve is lightweight and compact, so it can be quickly applied and removed from the door’s opening mechanism in case of an emergency. It also allows the teachers to keep the door closed without having to enter the hallway to lock it from the outside, keeping them safe from harm.

“I think it’s a great product. It’s going to buy kids and teachers time for shootings,” said Muscatine Police Chief Brett Talkington. “These shooters [are] going to be pulling on the door. If they can’t get in, they’re going to move on.”

The Sleeve still awaits patent, but Muscatine Community College is fitting all their classrooms in their library and Larson Hall buildings with the device.

http://wqad.com/2014/06/10/muscatine-teachers-invention-could-save-your-childs-life/
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby elfismiles » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:14 am

The bullet-proof blankets, especially used as portrayed in the photos, is absolute lunacy.

The door-jam "sleeve" ... now that's a pretty good simple idea ... though someone on drugs like PCP or whatever, could probably still force the door.

Something I've been trying to figure out for a while is who was the first rampage-killer to implement door-locks to pin-in their victims. I believe only a few have thankfully done this.

But it is described in the book We Need to Talk About Kevin.
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:06 pm

elfismiles » 24 Oct 2014 18:43 wrote:
norton ash » 24 Oct 2014 18:25 wrote:Damn, and this thread had been nudged all the way to page 7.

Marysville, Washington right now.

http://www.businessinsider.com/shooting ... ss+Insider)

Sounds like a copycat effect from the canada crack head shooting...
elfismiles

Postby 82_28 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:17 pm

Live coverage is so stupid about this shit. We'll see what happens. "The shooter is dead". I'm inclined to believe this, however, how are they so certain?
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby elfismiles » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:39 pm

82_28 » 24 Oct 2014 19:17 wrote:Live coverage is so stupid about this shit. We'll see what happens. "The shooter is dead". I'm inclined to believe this, however, how are they so certain?

Yeah, am watching right now and they are saying 4 students to hospital in critical condition with a child witness saying she saw her friend shot dead (in the cafeteria?)....
elfismiles

Postby 82_28 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Here's a WAY OUT THERE theory. I'm thinking back to the days when I was in HS (early 90's) and what sets all of this shit apart from Columbine on in to the present day and was thinking about what the difference in society/time is. As I listen to the "coverage" and how all the outlets want to get their mitts on some sort of "information", I began to think about had a school shooting happened when I was growing up and what the difference is.

Nobody had a cell phone. There was a single payphone as I recall (in fact my HS had a shooting last year in which they are building a memorial garden or something). There also weren't shootings. Not blaming the advent of everybody having a cellphone as the cause itself, but the advent of the cellphone (esp with the cameras on them) has seemed to have risen in equal parts with shootings. Copycat -- as SMiles points out.

What I guess I am getting at is that there is a basically undetectable shift in how we perceive ourselves and others. Not talking the gun-people who obviously must go out like this or else, what, go on living? There is something extremely hollowed out in society and how young people adapt to a new world. Like how an insect just hatches and knows what the fuck to go about doing like it's some DNA ridden USB thumbdrive. This is a problem of control, routine, rules, cameras, social media and so on.

In the past 15 minutes I have seen the three network helicopters fly back home because either they're out of fuel or the story isn't what they were hoping it was going to be. Got a lot of footage of kids in wheel chairs, police with assault rifles bravely checking doors and again, so on.
82_28

Postby elfismiles » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:42 am

Prior to the shooting, Fryberg entered the school cafeteria and sat down at a table. At 10:39 a.m., according to eyewitnesses, he stood up from the table, approached another table, and had a verbal altercation with the students seated there. He then pulled out a .40-caliber Beretta handgun and fired at least eight shots,[6][7] shooting several students in a "calm, methodical way".[8][9] He then fired several more bullets outside of the school and reloaded at least once.[7][2][10][11] During the shooting, Fryberg was described by a witness as having "a blank stare" and "staring at the victims as he shot them".[12] He also appeared to be targeting only one table, where about ten students were seated.[3]

Fryberg died at the scene of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Some media sources reported that he committed suicide; however, there was also an eyewitness report that an adult school staff member tried to intervene by grabbing Fryberg's arm, inadvertently causing him to fatally shoot himself in the neck.[2][13][14] The employee was later identified as first-year social studies teacher Megan Silberberger, who tried to apprehend Fryberg as he was reloading.[15] A motive for the shooting is currently unknown, although a student at the school stated that "[he] was angry at a girl who would not date him, and that the girl was one of the people shot", a claim that was supported by Fryberg's other classmates and his family members.[16][17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marysville ... l_shooting
elfismiles

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:17 am

not on the front page of any major news paper
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby elfismiles » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:33 am

... follow-up ...

5th teen dies following Washington school shooting
Updated 3:18 am, Saturday, November 8, 2014

SEATTLE (AP) — A fifth teenager has died as a result of a Washington state high school shooting two weeks ago that began when a student opened fire in the cafeteria.

Harborview Medical Center in Seattle said 15-year-old Andrew Fryberg died Friday evening of his wounds.

Zoe Galasso, 14, was killed during the shooting Oct. 24, by a popular freshman at Marysville-Pilchuck High School.

Gia Soriano, 14, died Oct. 26 at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett and 14-year-old Shaylee Chuckulnaskit died Oct. 31 at the Everett hospital.

The shooter, Jaylen Fryberg, died of a self-inflicted wound.

MORE: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime/art ... 880028.php
elfismiles

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:32 pm

How very sad. It will be very difficult for the young man who has survived his wounding with no other having survived theirs.

It must be very painful for the tribe to have their community so shattered by one of their own. I pray for all to find the ability to survive this horror.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:20 pm

(One of the victims of the Seattle Capitol Hill Massacre graduated MP High. He's pictured below, DJing at the wiki link)

Came across this while looking for an excellent commentary on gun control I recently read to share with you:

Washington: School Killer’s Father Is Found Guilty of Gun Charges

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS SEPT. 29, 2015

A federal jury in Seattle found a man guilty on Tuesday of illegally owning firearms, including the handgun his son used to kill four of his friends and himself last year in a school cafeteria. The man, Raymond Fryberg, was convicted of six counts of unlawful possession of a firearm. He was the subject of a 2002 domestic violence protection order that prohibited him from having firearms. The jury rejected his claim that he did not know about the protection order, sought by his former girlfriend. His son, Jaylen Fryberg, 15, killed three 14-year-old girls and his 15-year-old cousin at Marysville-Pilchuck High School north of Seattle. The shooting was not discussed during the trial because Mr. Fryberg did not face charges related to his son’s actions. He faces up to 10 years in prison.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us/washington-school-killers-father-is-found-guilty-of-gun-charges.html?ref=topics&_r=0
Iamwhomiam

Postby elfismiles » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:45 am

Wow! Thanks for this follow-up IamWhoIam

Iamwhomiam » 03 Oct 2015 19:20 wrote:(One of the victims of the Seattle Capitol Hill Massacre graduated MP High. He's pictured below, DJing at the wiki link)

Came across this while looking for an excellent commentary on gun control I recently read to share with you:

Washington: School Killer’s Father Is Found Guilty of Gun Charges

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS SEPT. 29, 2015

A federal jury in Seattle found a man guilty on Tuesday of illegally owning firearms, including the handgun his son used to kill four of his friends and himself last year in a school cafeteria. The man, Raymond Fryberg, was convicted of six counts of unlawful possession of a firearm. He was the subject of a 2002 domestic violence protection order that prohibited him from having firearms. The jury rejected his claim that he did not know about the protection order, sought by his former girlfriend. His son, Jaylen Fryberg, 15, killed three 14-year-old girls and his 15-year-old cousin at Marysville-Pilchuck High School north of Seattle. The shooting was not discussed during the trial because Mr. Fryberg did not face charges related to his son’s actions. He faces up to 10 years in prison.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us/washington-school-killers-father-is-found-guilty-of-gun-charges.html?ref=topics&_r=0
elfismiles

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion