School-Shootings Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: School-Shootings Thread

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:27 pm

"'You're carrying a gun to class? Yeah well I'm carrying a HUGE DILDO,'" Jin says in the group's description. "Just about as effective at protecting us from sociopathic shooters, but much safer for recreational play."

That is pointedly Funny!
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby elfismiles » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:43 am

Yes, I think Austin has obviously attempted to capitalize on its "weird" image - chamber of commerce accepting the "Keep Austin Weird" moniker along with the laughable "Live Music Capitol of the World" mantra...

I don't think the economy is driven by it, though its attractiveness to outsiders is apparent ... a strange attractor for the freaks trying to find a home and the norms who like to gape and watch the freaks fly their flags; and "cheap" lovely urban living for those wanting to escape their own urban nightmares - now recreated here.

The "last liberal stronghold" of Texas, no more... that award now likely going to one or two other nice small town enclaves that are themselves being overrun as we speak by invading hordes.

And as always and everywhere the cesspool center of political State craft diffused out to its multiple major city nexus points of power, but still homebased here in "the belly of the beast."

backtoiam » 11 Oct 2015 18:20 wrote:Austin is a laboratory of brilliant cognitive dissonance manufacturing of surreal and bizarre nature. I wonder how much of the economy of Austin is driven by it? Elf what do you think? Its totally major piece of the economical landscape isn't it? You're the Austin expert for sure.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby elfismiles » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:33 am

Malcolm Gladwell Discusses School Shootings | The New Yorker Festival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27aWHudLmgs

Published on Oct 5, 2015

The author and New Yorker staff writer Malcolm Gladwell talks about school shootings.

EDIT TO ADD:

Annals of Public Safety October 19, 2015 Issue
Thresholds of Violence
How school shootings catch on.
By Malcolm Gladwell
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/ ... f-violence

New Yorker Author Blames America for Overseas School Shootings
by AWR Hawkins19 Oct 2015323

Speaking at The New Yorker Festival on October 3, The New Yorker magazine author Malcolm Gladwell placed the blame for school shootings around the world at America’s feet by describing them as “an overwhelmingly American phenomenon.” He added, “To the extent that anything like [school shootings] happens anywhere else in the world, it appears to happen as a reflection of something going on [in America].”

Gladwell began his presentation by describing Barry Loukaitis’ February 1996 attack on Frontier Middle School and suggesting this attack marks the start of “school shootings as a phenomenon in American life.” Loukaitis killed two fellow students, then shot and killed his algebra teacher. From there, Gladwell touches on six other attacks, and then mentions Columbine, the April 1999 attack Gladwell considers seminal in school shootings.

From Columbine, Gladwell argues, “Things take off.” He said, “We go through Virginia Tech. Remember, 32 people and 17 wounded. And then, you get the 27 people killed by Adam Lanza at Sandy Hook in 2012, right up to the ten shot [at Umpqua Community College].”

It should be noted that Gladwell either misspoke or intentionally counted the gunman’s death in some of these figures. For example, 26 innocents were killed at Sandy Hook. Then Lanza took his own life. And nine people were killed at UCC. The gunman then took his own life.

Gladwell continues:

If you look at this history, two things stand out immediately. One is that this is a very contemporary phenomenon. There is very little that happens of this sort before 1996. The second thing that’s obvious if you look at the history of school shootings is that it’s an overwhelmingly American phenomenon. To the extent that anything like this happens anywhere else in the world, it appears to happen as a reflection of something going on [in America]; it appears to have spread from America.

Gladwell went on to use Columbine as the school shooting pattern copied around the world. He quotes Columbine gunman Eric Harris saying that “he [wanted] to kick-start a revolution.” He said Harris intended to be a “kind of father of the whole school shooting movement,” and he asserts that this is exactly what happened.

Gladwell points to sociologist Ralph Larkin’s work and states, “[In] the 12 major school shootings that happened in the eight years after Columbine, more than half explicitly referenced Columbine.” He continued:

If you look at the 11 shootings that were major shootings that happened overseas immediately after Columbine, six of them are, again, versions of Columbine. And if you look between 1999 and 2007, there are 11 cases of thwarted school shootings, where it really does seem like the kids are really going to go through with it. And in all 11 of those cases, it’s Columbine.

Ironically, Gladwell does not mention gun-free zones, which provide a common characteristic for school shootings that one does not have to mention with caveats. Whereas certain years have to be selected and examined to make the Columbine theory applicable, gun-free school zones are, unequivocally, the repeatedly target.

Of course, it is far more difficult to lay the blame for school shootings at America’s feet if the predominant characteristic is a top-down gun-free policy, rather than the rantings of a Colorado school shooter in 1999.

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at awrhawkins@brietbart.com.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism ... shootings/
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:24 am

This 1989 incident was just brought to my attention again...

Plaque at École Polytechnique commemorating victims of the massacre

Date: December 6, 1989
5:10–5:30 p.m.

Target: Female students at École Polytechnique de Montréal

Attack type: School shooting, mass murder, murder-suicide, hate crime

Weapons:
Ruger Mini-14 rifle
Hunting knife

Deaths: 15 (including the perpetrator)

Non-fatal injuries: 14

Perpetrator: Marc Lépine

Motive: Antifeminism, possible abuse

École Polytechnique massacre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89col ... e_massacre

The École Polytechnique Massacre, also known as the Montreal Massacre, occurred on December 6, 1989, at the École Polytechnique in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Twenty-five-year-old Marc Lépine, armed with a Mini-14 rifle and a hunting knife, shot 28 people, killing 14 women, before committing suicide. He began his attack by entering a classroom at the university, where he separated the male and female students. After claiming that he was "fighting feminism" and calling the women "a bunch of feminists," he shot all nine women in the room, killing six. He then moved through corridors, the cafeteria, and another classroom, specifically targeting women to shoot. Overall, he killed fourteen women and injured ten other women and four men in just under 20 minutes before turning the gun on himself.[1][2] His suicide note claimed political motives and blamed feminists for ruining his life. The note included a list of 19 Quebec women whom Lépine considered to be feminists and apparently wished to kill.[3] Since the attack, Canadians have debated various interpretations of the events, their significance, and Lépine's motives. Many feminist groups and public officials have characterized the massacre as an anti-feminist attack that is representative of wider societal violence against women.[4][5][6] Consequently, the anniversary of the massacre has since been commemorated as the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women. Other interpretations emphasize Lépine's abuse as a child or suggest that the massacre was simply the isolated act of a madman, unrelated to larger social issues.[7][8] Still other commentators have blamed violence in the media[9] and increasing poverty, isolation, and alienation in society,[10] particularly in immigrant communities.[11]

The incident led to more stringent gun control laws in Canada.[12] It also introduced changes in the tactical response of police to shootings, changes which were later credited with minimizing casualties at the Dawson College shootings.[13]
Last edited by elfismiles on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:29 am

Trudeau attends memorial ceremony for victims of Polytechnique massacre
Globalnews.ca‎ - 2 days ago
The day, first established in 1991, marks the anniversary of the 14 women killed in a mass shooting at l'École Polytechnique de Montréal.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2383437/trude ... -massacre/

Montreal events mark 26th anniversary of Polytechnique massacre
CTV News‎ - 2 days ago
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-eve ... -1.2688899

Ceremonies held to mark 26th anniversary of Polytechnique massacre
CP24 Toronto's Breaking News‎ - 2 days ago
http://www.cp24.com/news/ceremonies-hel ... -1.2689030

The Montreal massacre: Canada's feminists remember ...
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/d ... s-remember
www.theguardian.com › World › Feminism / The Guardian
Dec 3, 2012 - In 1989, a gunman killed 14 women students in Montreal. This week ... Students in shock at Montreal's École Polytechnique. Marc Lépine killed ...

École Polytechnique Massacre: 25 Years Later
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/12/06 ... 63218.html
Dec 6, 2014 - It was cold that Wednesday when a 25 year-old man walked into the École Polytechnique de Montréal armed with a 223-calibre Sturm-Ruger ...
elfismiles

Postby tapitsbo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:21 pm

Funny (not the kind of funny that makes you laugh) how the Polytechnique violence ushered in gun control but US shootings are provoking gun proliferation.

What sort of incident would register high enough outrage in the USA to get Republicans, etc. to clamour for gun control?
tapitsbo

Postby divideandconquer » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:45 pm

Today I was talking to the parents of a Catholic University of America--where Pope Francis conducted his first mass in the US--student about the two campus lockdowns that occurred over the last two days at CUA, and they told me students are frustrated because the media is not reporting the story correctly, not to mention they supposedly had to push to get the media to publish in the first place.

Anyway, I wonder if these lockdowns occur even more frequently than are reported...because talk about some sketchy reporting. I guess there isn't much one can do with fake empty threats .

Below is just an example of colleges and university campus lockdowns over the span of about a week. This doesn't include high school/elementary school--and I noticed a few hospitals as well--lockdowns because there are way too many to post.

Dec. 9 2015
St. Edward's University in Austin Texas

Dec 8 2015
Catholic University again

University of Wisconsin campus lockdown due to possible bomb threat

Dec 7 2015
Catholic University locked down two nights in a row -- 12/7 and 12/81--because of armed man claiming to be ISIS asking the janitor where admin is.
The official crime report by the Metropolitan Police Department noted that the December 7 incident took place in Pangborn Hall after a custodian said he was held at gunpoint at 10:37 PM by a man who demanded direction to the “administration building,” claimed to be affiliated with the ISIS terrorist group, and claimed he was going to plant a bomb on campus.

College of Wooster campus lockdown and cancellation of classes due to bomb threat

Dec. 6, 2015
Kennesaw State campus lockdown and reports of evacuation.

Williamette University

Dec 5, 2015
Spartanburg Methodist College Campuswide lockdown due to shooting. One killed.

Dec. 2, 2015
UNC Chapel Hill

Ohio State Campus Campus lockdown after shots fired

Concordia University Campus lockdown after shots fired

Dec. 1 2015
Antelope Valley College Campus lockdown due to threat of violence

"Lock-down" (a prison term derived from locking all the convicts in their cells) indoctrination is in full force.
'I see clearly that man in this world deceives himself by admiring and esteeming things which are not, and neither sees nor esteems the things which are.' — St. Catherine of Genoa
divideandconquer

Postby elfismiles » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:03 pm

Yeah, I recall hearing of quite a few of these ... and I'm sure the folks locked-down feel pretty traumatized just from that.

I'd not even heard about the recent South Austin one at St. Eds ...

suspect was a 5-foot-6 Hispanic male with tattoos on his head.

Sounds like a cartel kid, unless its THE ENIGMA run amok...

divideandconquer » 10 Dec 2015 00:45 wrote:...
Anyway, I wonder if these lockdowns occur even more frequently than are reported...because talk about some sketchy reporting. I guess there isn't much one can do with fake empty threats .

Below is just an example of colleges and university campus lockdowns over the span of about a week. This doesn't include high school/elementary school--and I noticed a few hospitals as well--lockdowns because there are way too many to post.

Dec. 9 2015
St. Edward's University in Austin Texas
elfismiles

Postby divideandconquer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:37 pm

And another one:

Dec 10, 2015

Arkansas State University Gunman triggered lockdown.

...and seven schools on modified lockdown in Garden Grove
'I see clearly that man in this world deceives himself by admiring and esteeming things which are not, and neither sees nor esteems the things which are.' — St. Catherine of Genoa
divideandconquer

Postby elfismiles » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:26 pm

I guess posting lockdowns and closings due to perceived threats can go in this thread as well...

Dec 15, 11:55 AM EST
Emailed threat shuts down second-largest US school district
By CHRISTOPHER WEBER
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The nation's second-largest school district shut down all of its campuses Tuesday after an emailed threat targeted students at many Los Angeles-area schools.

The shooting in nearby San Bernardino that left 14 people dead this month influenced the decision to close all the schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District, which 640,000 students attend, Superintendent Ramon Cortines said.

New York City officials say they received the same threat, but quickly concluded that it was a hoax. New York Police Commissioner William Bratton said he thought Los Angeles officials overreacted.

Bratton said the person who wrote the note claimed to be a jihadist, but made errors that made it clear the person was a prankster.

A law enforcement official says the threat was emailed to a school board member late Monday and appeared to come from overseas. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the investigation.

Officials would not elaborate on the threat, saying it was still being evaluated, but said the shutdown came as a precaution. Schools would remain closed until the threat was cleared, which could happen by the end of the day, officials said.

Los Angeles schools commonly get threats, but Cortines called this one rare.

"It was not to one school, two schools or three schools," he said at a news conference. "It was many schools, not specifically identified. But there were many schools. That's the reason I took the action that I did ... It was to students at schools."

Cortines said he wants every campus to be searched and a report given to him and the school board that they are safe. The district has more than 900 schools and 187 public charter schools.

The superintendent said the district police chief informed him about the threat shortly after 5 a.m.

"He shared with me that some of the details talked about backpacks, talked about other packages," Cortines said.

No students would be released on their own, and school leaders would wait with children whose parents had not yet arrived to pick them up, he said.

The closure came the same day classes were canceled at San Bernardino Valley College because of a bomb threat. Students and staff were sent home around 5:30 p.m. Monday after the threat was made.

---

Associated Press writer Tami Abdollah in Washington, D.C., contributed to this report.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... OLS_THREAT
elfismiles

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:29 pm

Funny when I was a child in school being under your desk in the classroom was the safest place from a nuclear attack :P
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:56 pm

Holy shit. So basically, any Chan with a decent VPN can shut down entire cities at will now?

Yeah, that's a good precedent to set. And publicize.

Jesus Christ. 2016 finna be lit.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby General Patton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:15 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:56 pm wrote:Holy shit. So basically, any Chan with a decent VPN can shut down entire cities at will now?

Yeah, that's a good precedent to set. And publicize.

Jesus Christ. 2016 finna be lit.

The Philadelphia threat proved that back in October after the Chris Mercer shooting.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:35 pm

Wasn't that a much smaller incident, though?

I'm mostly stunned by the sheer amount of students in LA County being loaded onto buses today. Evacuation centers and shit. This is interesting policy infrastructure being made visible. There's a lot of actors watching this one develop and taking notes.

2016 finna be lit, tho.

Update: apparently Bill Bratton is taking shots at LAPD, calling it a significant over-reaction. NYC schools received same threat, but of course, they don't care about the children.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby General Patton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:05 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:35 pm wrote:Wasn't that a much smaller incident, though?

I'm mostly stunned by the sheer amount of students in LA County being loaded onto buses today. Evacuation centers and shit. This is interesting policy infrastructure being made visible. There's a lot of actors watching this one develop and taking notes.

2016 finna be lit, tho.

Update: apparently Bill Bratton is taking shots at LAPD, calling it a significant over-reaction. NYC schools received same threat, but of course, they don't care about the children.

It set a very clear precedent, that's where they were taking notes. One incident happens, you can fish out a response from someone with threats of a related incident. Mimic the costs of a shelter in place event without even losing any pawns. Afterall, no one wants to be the guy who got the warning but didn't act.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion