Is The Trump Thing Serious?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Is The Trump Thing Serious?

Postby RocketMan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:02 pm

I knew I'd set myself up for something like this. :D

By the way, it's somehow not very surprising that of all the "diversity speakers" by far the most expensive one based on a short scroll through a few of the first pages is Ellen DeGeneres at 200,000 USD and above... one of the very few white faces on there.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:32 pm

How the forced deportation of Mexicans (adults and children) is very disturbing insofar as it definitely resonates with quite a few. I was talking to a friend's mom the other night and she liked trump. I said you do realize he has said he wants to round Mexicans up and forcibly make them go somewhere else? She said she was fine with that. There were too many Mexicans here now.

I said, I have worked side by side with Mexicans for over twenty years (all of them my friends -- though I haven't talked to any of them in awhile) and that is something I cannot stand for. I said you live in Colorado! There are triple, quadruple, more than that generations of "Mexicans" in CO.

I just dropped it and went onto other subjects.

We are though stuck in a bind because I for one, "hate" republicans. Yet for some reason I am emotionally forced to say "git 'em Bush".
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby tapitsbo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:29 pm

quadruple generations without citizenship? I understand that maybe what Trump said about deporting families together would apply to them too. Sorry, I am just trying to understand better as I'm not an American!
tapitsbo

Postby 82_28 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:58 pm

Most Mexicans are Maya -- what they were before the Spanish invaded. There were no borders. Basically what we know as American Indians.

And no, I'm not talking citizenship, just saying the border is existentially fake. The generational thing is that "they" were here before "us" and our fancy borders and treaties and shit like that.

The other night I looked into trumps "properties" to get a feel for how many Mexican restaurants he has in his hotels. From what I looked at, there are at least a few.

The motherfucker is an idiot. He's a fucking liar if he could guarantee he has no Latino "illegal" labor going on in his hotels and stuff. I'm sure someone is working on it now. An undercover expose of how many "illegals" he employs. Hopefully they blur everyone's faces out and stuff.

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Rory » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:02 pm

Three plus generations ago and half the country was Mexico - California, Nuevo Mexico, Utah, Arizona, Texas, and parts of Colorado and Wyoming, all belonged to Mexico until the US declared war (under false pretenses) and done took it all. Including a lovely sojourn in Mexico City to rape and pillage.
Rory

Postby tapitsbo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:04 pm

I understand - but your earlier post suggested "quadruple generation" "Mexican" families were to be deported. As a Canadian I don't understand how this would work, I assume such a family would have been in full or part granted citizenship.

I'm no fan of Donald Trump, or the current fancy borders and so on.
tapitsbo

Postby tapitsbo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:05 pm

And yes Rory I'm aware that Mexico was bigger before. All kinds of borders have changed in all sorts of interesting places. I still don't get the thing about "quadruple-generation" families being deported. Okay, re-reading - I understand why someone wouldn't want to make a distinction between citizens and non-citizens. In many parts of the world I feel this distinction is observed quite keenly. There's certainly a selective focus in regards to efforts to have borders not be recognized.
tapitsbo

Postby 82_28 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:18 pm

tapitsbo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:04 am wrote:I understand - but your earlier post suggested "quadruple generation" "Mexican" families were to be deported. As a Canadian I don't understand how this would work, I assume such a family would have been in full or part granted citizenship.

I'm no fan of Donald Trump, or the current fancy borders and so on.

I should have been more clear. I was kinda remarking on what my friend's mom said that was basically there are "enough" [Mexicans] here already. I fear there is quite the sentiment in the country that agrees with this. They see a name like Martinez or Gonzalez and they feel threatened by the names even though their families have been here far longer than theirs or mine.
82_28

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:24 pm

82_28 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:58 am wrote:The motherfucker is an idiot. He's a fucking liar if he could guarantee he has no Latino "illegal" labor going on in his hotels and stuff. I'm sure someone is working on it now. An undercover expose of how many "illegals" he employs. Hopefully they blur everyone's faces out and stuff.

Well, here's the first example, and he's bold enough not to be blurred and speak out against the BS:

Undocumented Trump Hotel Worker Speaks Out Against His Employer, Despite Risk Of Losing His Job

by Scott Keyes Aug 19, 2015 9:46am

“When Mexico sends its people, they are not sending their best,” Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump said during his campaign kick-off speech in June. “They are sending people that have lots of problems, and they are bringing those problems to us.”

One of those people is Ricardo Aca, an undocumented immigrant from Puebla who came to the United States with his family a decade ago when has just 14 years old. “We came to America because we wanted a better life,” Aca said in an interview with New Left Media. He came of age in Brooklyn, a place he says he loves. “This is where I went to high school. This is where all of my friends are. It’s home to me.”

Aca currently works as a busser in the Trump Soho building’s restaurant, a position he’s held for the last two years. He also works two other jobs on the side to make ends meet.

“I know I could lose my job just for talking about Trump,” Aca acknowledged. But after Trump continued to base his presidential campaign on anti-immigrant rhetoric, he could no longer maintain his silence. “It doesn’t make me proud to go to work every day under his name.”

“I’m not a criminal,” Aca said in the video. “I work really hard and I definitely don’t take it for granted.”

Watch the full interview:

While Aca noted that some GOPers had criticized Trump’s comments about Mexicans, “to me they all seem to have the same position on immigration.” Indeed, led in part by Trump’s hardline on immigration, a plurality of GOP presidential hopefuls now want to end birthright citizenship. Nearly every contender opposes a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants already in the country, including former supporters like Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush. And all have roundly criticized President Obama’s deportation relief for those immigrants who were brought to the United States when they were children.

Aca isn’t the only Latino to take umbrage at Trump’s prejudiced description of immigrants. A Washington Post article in July interviewed over a dozen Latino construction workers helping to build Trump’s new Washington D.C. hotel. “Do you think that when we’re hanging out there from the eighth floor that we’re raping or selling drugs?” a Salvadoran immigrant, Ramon Alvarez, said. “We’re risking our lives and our health.”

Even as Trump leads the polls for the Republican presidential nomination, his standing among Latinos has cratered. According to a poll this month, three-quarters of Latinos now have a negative view of the New York businessman. Just 13 percent have a favorable view.

On Sunday, Trump released his immigration white paper, including a call for widespread deportation of immigrant families and a massive wall on our southern border paid for, somehow, by Mexico. His plan also recommends national implementation of e-verify, a tool that tries to prevent companies, like Trump’s, from employing undocumented immigrants.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby 82_28 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:19 pm

Those racist sacks of shit at *thinkprogress* sure are infesting the comment thread. Anybody who has worked with these "Mexicans" knows that they are people too. Who would have figured.

They clearly have never worked in a restaurant or in a field or landscaped or whatever. This really perplexes me.
82_28

Postby brekin » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:16 am

The one thing that has been made abundantly clear is Trump just oozes copy for the media machine. Bush Jr. was such a media gift because he was a steady stream of gaffes and Clint Eastwoodesque political one liners (so much more than poppa bear). That made him perpetually watchable if unbearable (hey kind of like TD, ;) just joshing die hards.) Obama was new money as a candidate but pretty boring as a president along the lines of Bush Sr., he was polished like Reagan but didn't have his bravado. Even when he is mad I still can't shake how much he reminds me of the vulcan Tuvok from Star Trek he resembles a bit. He also doesn't have Clinton's quick adaptable political mind that made Clinton a perpetual candidate trying to constantly win your vote and so when Obama goes off script and gives a gut reaction it is knee jerk and alienating. Trump is Stalinistic in his plan to take over the country and as crazy as his message is, it is train wreck watchable. See it takes someone like Charlie Sheen to cut through all the layers of media saturation now and I honestly know more about Trump and other candidates only in relation to what they say contra Trump. Trump is always in the news because he doesn't give a fuck about the niceties that non-billionaires must adhere to, has grandiose but fuzzy master race plans, is a mysogynazi (did I just invent that word?) and he overkills in retaliation to the slightest criticism. That my friends is like a Combs/Kardashian/Sheen/Hitler/Morton Downey Jr./Stalin/Phil Spector manwich that media obese America cannot put down.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Searcher08 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:47 am

@brekin - Wonderful. Obama as Tuvok just made my day.

I think the Donald is pretty skilled in deal-making and exists in a milleau which is all about maintaining a semblance of order and civility - ie the very rich club. As such it is obvious that all members are strong, psychopathic characters but ultimately must come into line with the ethos of the group as a whole.
Rule Number 1 - the families and networks relate in a way for mutual benefit.
Rule Number 2 - the families and networks, subject to Rule 1, compete
Rule Number 3 - the families and networks must be free to 'play' everywhere

When the time of his frisky run-off-the-leash around the park is finished, he will be adorably naughty for a little while, then quickly come to heel.
Searcher08

Postby 82_28 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:25 pm

Taibbi:

Trump is probably too dumb to realize it, or maybe he isn’t, but he doesn’t need to win anything to become the most dangerous person in America. He can do plenty of damage just by encouraging people to be as uninhibited in their stupidity as he is.

Trump is striking a chord with people who are feeling the squeeze in a less secure world and want to blame someone – the government, immigrants, political correctness, “incompetents,” “dummies,” Megyn Kelly, whoever – for their problems.

Karl Rove and his acolytes mined a lot of the same resentments to get Republicans elected over the years, but the difference is that Trump’s political style encourages people to do more to express their anger than just vote. The key to his success is a titillating message that those musty old rules about being polite and “saying the right thing” are for losers who lack the heart, courage and Trumpitude to just be who they are…

People are tired of rules and tired of having to pay lip service to decorum. They want to stop having to watch what they say and think and just get “crazy,” as Thomas Friedman would put it.

Trump’s campaign is giving people permission to do just that. It’s hard to say this word in conjunction with such a sexually unappealing person, but his message is a powerful aphrodisiac. Fuck everything, fuck everyone. Fuck immigrants and fuck their filthy lice-ridden kids. And fuck you if you don’t like me saying so.

Those of us who think polls and primaries and debates are any match for that are pretty naive. America has been trending stupid for a long time. Now the stupid wants out of its cage, and Trump is urging it on. There are a lot of ways this can go wrong, no matter who wins in 2016.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... y-20150821
82_28

Postby peartreed » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:45 pm

Occupy Democrats posted a quote from Paul Thomas of the New Zealand Herald:

"Trump personifies everything the rest of the world despises about America: casual racism, crass materialism, relentless self-aggrandizement, vulgarity on an epic scale. The fact that so many Republicans are comfortable with the thought of this monumentally unqualified man in the Oval Office shows how warped the Party has become."

From this Canadian's perspective, it is less a condemnation of the Republican Party than an illustration of the ignorance of Trump supporters permeating a horrifyingly huge percentage of the nation's population. His popularity in the polls portrays a political rebellion that would crown a clown rather than continue the Establishment Status Quo. Understandable dissent directed to deify a demented dictator endangers the world, as history has shown us time and time again. Surely the American voters are not that stupid.
peartreed

Postby coffin_dodger » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:10 pm

Trump is designed to make Clinton Bush appear reasonable. He is the farce to scare you all.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion