April 19 2011

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

April 19 2011

Postby norton ash » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:31 am

Happy April 19... have a safe one!

65 – The freedman Milichus betrayed Piso’s plot to kill the Emperor Nero and the conspirators were all arrested.
1012 – Martyrdom of Alphege in Greenwich, London.
1529 – At the Second Diet of Speyer, a group of rulers (German: Fürst) and independent cities (German: Reichsstadt) protests the reinstatement of the Edict of Worms.
1587 – Francis Drake's expedition sinks the Spanish fleet in Cádiz harbor.
1713 – With no living male heirs, Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor, issues the Pragmatic Sanction of 1713 to ensure that Habsburg lands and the Austrian throne would be inherited by his daughter, Maria Theresa of Austria (not actually born until 1717).
1770 – Captain James Cook sights the eastern coast of Australia.
1770 – Marie Antoinette marries Louis XVI in a proxy wedding.
1775 – American Revolutionary War: The war begins with the battles of Lexington and Concord.
1782 – John Adams secures the Dutch Republic's recognition of the United States as an independent government. The house which he had purchased in The Hague, Netherlands becomes the first American embassy.
1809 – An Austrian corps is defeated by the forces of the Duchy of Warsaw in the Battle of Raszyn, part of the struggles of the Fifth Coalition. On the same day the Austrian main army is defeated by a First French Empire Corps led by Louis-Nicolas Davout at the Battle of Teugen-Hausen in Bavaria, part of a four day campaign which ended in a French victory.
1810 – Venezuela achieves home rule: Vicente Emparan, Governor of the Captaincy General is removed by the people of Caracas and a Junta is installed.
1839 – The Treaty of London establishes Belgium as a kingdom.
1855 – Visit of Napoleon III to Guildhall, London
1861 – American Civil War: Baltimore riot of 1861, a pro-Secession mob in Baltimore, Maryland, attacks United States Army troops marching through the city.
1892 – Charles Duryea claims to have driven the first automobile in the United States, in Springfield, Massachusetts.
1919 – Leslie Irvin of the United States makes the first successful voluntary free-fall parachute jump using a new kind of self-contained parachute.
1927 – Mae West is sentenced to 10 days in jail for obscenity for her play Sex.
1928 – The 125th and final fascicle of the Oxford English Dictionary is published.
1942 – World War II: In Poland, the Majdan-Tatarski ghetto is established, situated between the Lublin Ghetto and a Majdanek subcamp.
1943 – World War II: In Poland, German troops enter the Warsaw ghetto to round up the remaining Jews, beginning the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.
1943 – Bicycle Day – Swiss chemist Dr. Albert Hofmann deliberately takes LSD for the first time.
1945 – Diplomatic relations between the Soviet Union and Guatemala are established.
1948 – Burma (now Myanmar) joins the United Nations.
1950 – Argentina becomes a signatory to the Buenos Aires copyright treaty.
1951 – General Douglas MacArthur retires from the military.
1954 – Constituent Assembly of Pakistan decides Urdu and Bengali to be national languages of Pakistan.
1955 – The German automaker Volkswagen, after six years of selling cars in the United States, founds Volkswagen of America in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey to standardize its dealer and service network.
1956 – Actress Grace Kelly marries Prince Rainier of Monaco.
1960 – Students in South Korea hold a nationwide pro-democracy protest against their president Syngman Rhee, eventually forcing him to resign.
1961 – The Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba ends in success for the defenders.
1971 – Sierra Leone becomes a republic, and Siaka Stevens the president.
1971 – Vietnam War: Vietnam Veterans Against the War begin a five-day demonstration in Washington, D.C..
1971 – Launch of Salyut 1, the first space station.
1971 – Charles Manson is sentenced to death for the Sharon Tate murders.
1975 – India's first satellite Aryabhata is launched.
1984 – Advance Australia Fair is proclaimed as Australia's national anthem, and green and gold as the national colours.
1985 – FBI siege on the compound of The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord (CSAL) in Arkansas
1985 – U.S.S.R performs nuclear test at Eastern Kazakhstan/Semipalatinsk.

1987 – The Simpsons premieres as a short cartoon on The Tracey Ullman Show
1989 – A gun turret explodes on the USS Iowa, killing 47 sailors.
1993 – The 51-day siege of the Branch Davidian building outside Waco, Texas, USA, ends when a fire breaks out. Eighty-one people die.
1993 – South Dakota governor George Mickelson and seven others are killed when a state-owned aircraft crashes in Iowa.
1995 – Oklahoma City bombing: The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA, is bombed, killing 168. That same day convicted murderer Richard Wayne Snell, who had ties to one of the bombers, Timothy McVeigh, is executed in Arkansas.
1997 – The Red River Flood of 1997 overwhelms the city of Grand Forks, North Dakota. Fire breaks out and spreads in downtown Grand Forks, but high water levels hamper efforts to reach the fire, leading to the destruction of 11 buildings.
1999 – The German Bundestag returns to Berlin, the first German parliamentary body to meet there since the Reichstag was dissolved in 1945.
Zen horse
norton ash

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: April 19 2011

Postby dqueue » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:00 am

Yesterday, a friend sent a public service announcement regarding "The Great Shakeout", an earthquake preparedness event. Of course, it's scheduled for today, April 19, 2011...

We discover ourselves to be characters in a novel, being both propelled by and victimized by various kinds of coincidental forces that shape our lives. ... It is as though you trapped the mind in the act of making reality. - Terence McKenna
dqueue

Postby hava1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:20 am

My 19 shakeout happened yesterday, april18...so I guess I'm through it (car accident...)

Its the Jewish passover, so like xmas depression, for you there, I am reminded of loneliness and disconnect. anyway, took my ass to a nice coffee shop and ordered the most corrupt cake, icecream and whipped cream... they ran out of human blood, so my cake was non ritual :)

On the positive side, i found out Passover carries a good helpful energy for those who need to come out of slavery. Not that I ever managed to tap into, but I feel its there, but requires some thought and fine tuning. Its a oollective energy, and so one has to find a social ontext (activism of sorts) to best make use of the oosmis shakeout
hava1

Postby NeonLX » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Well, then...Happy Passover!

Hope you are OK after that car accident... :)
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby hava1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:45 pm

thanks !!! I am ok physically, thank God, but until i get the bill for the damages to the other car, which run pretty high, I will not know if I am OK, or how OK I am ...

NeonLX wrote:Well, then...Happy Passover!

Hope you are OK after that car accident... :)
hava1

Postby beeline » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:50 pm

Didn't the Deepwater Horizon explode and sink on April 19 of last year?
beeline

Postby norton ash » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Shalom, hava. Here's a good Walrus article on Seder and the flexibility of the Haggadah... it was quite new and enlightening for me.

Passed Over
In modernizing the Seder, are we losing touch with Judaism?
By Richard PoplakIllustration by Rachelle Maynard
Religion From the May 2011 Walrus

http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articles/ ... ssed-over/
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby norton ash » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:00 pm

April 20, and that's another nasty day.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Project Willow » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:05 pm

^ Beat me too it. Some folks of certain political inclinations will be celebrating a certain someone's BDay tomorrow.
Project Willow

Postby Project Willow » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Hava, am glad to hear you are alright and Happy Passover.
Project Willow

Postby Canadian_watcher » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:50 pm

oddly, all monitors (and only monitors) just turned off at my house - TV, laptop & desktop - nothing else powered down.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby gnosticheresy_2 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:20 pm

norton ash wrote:1529 – At the Second Diet of Speyer, a group of rulers (German: Fürst) and independent cities (German: Reichsstadt) protests the reinstatement of the Edict of Worms.

I forgot what this was and had to look it up. It's an important, significant edict but I have to admit I'm very disappointed it wasn't about actual worms :hrumph :bigsmile
gnosticheresy_2

Postby 8bitagent » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:09 pm

norton ash wrote:

April 20, and that's another nasty day.

Hitlers Birthday, Columbine, and I think a few others. The VT Tech massacre and the subsequent week of mass office/school/public shootings began on April 16th if I recall

I remember on an early episode of the NBC sitcom "Mad About You", Paul Buchman explained why he hated his April 19th birthday mentioning it's the day when bad bad things happen.

I'm thankful the Giffords husband-twin final NASA shuttle event didnt happen today.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby KeenInsight » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:06 am

April 19th, 2011 20:11 Skynet becomes self-aware.

KeenInsight

Postby hava1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:12 am

Hey NOrton, thanks for greetings and the link. I read it and totally in agreement on his choice between the "liberal washed version" and the organic ritual, that follows the natural steps of evolution.

although I stopped the habit altogether, so I am in no position to offer reviews of prefered haggada. I find it a bit macabre to celebrate exodus while in slavery under Jewish government in the promised land.

I am sort of following my inner drum in that. My last seder, a few years back, i was given an invitation to a big seder by some "new age/Jewish renewal" group (american jews mostly), in a nice restaurant in Jaffa, with the theme of interfaith (the restaurant was Arab and they participated in song and reading). I would not have gone there, coz its expensive but a friend who had tickets couldnt go, and gave them to us.

Well, the food was great, the atmosphere, and music and the smell of the sea (a beach restaurant) and so forth, exquisite, they even had a small seder for the kids in a separate room. Well, lo and behold, a few days after this fancy and intellectually sophisticated seder, the rabbi who ran it was ARRESTED for mollesting and raping his students. (You can probably read about it in google, its Marc Mordechai Gafni, now in the USA teaching at Ken Wilber's....).

I am interpreting this as "stop and think", and am not going to more sedders until and if I find "my people" to feast with. and until am free.

I read the link you gave, its nice, but its still that american-jewish apologetica, ignoring the massive slavery WITHIN the jewish structure, and specifically their responsbility for creating this slavery within their own people, for the benefit of their freedom to write apologetica.

Its a "resentful" stance, you might say, I will humbly agree. But not all is angry :) Instead of doing ths sedder, we usually pick a nice restaurant, many are starting to serve food on that night for people like myself, and enjoy a treat, we cannot usually afford.

The last meaningful Seder I did, years back, was in my own house, I invited a group of unrelated friends, who didnt feel like joining their dysfunctional families, and I invited each participant, well ahead, to contribute a piece of writing, which I compiled and xeroxed for all. It was a remarkable experience, that lasted till morning, but had really little if any to do with the holiday per se. It was a "fall back" event, that turned out very successful, but could not be reconstructed :) so does not qualify as ritual.

norton ash wrote:Shalom, hava. Here's a good Walrus article on Seder and the flexibility of the Haggadah... it was quite new and enlightening for me.

Passed Over
In modernizing the Seder, are we losing touch with Judaism?
By Richard PoplakIllustration by Rachelle Maynard
Religion From the May 2011 Walrus

http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articles/ ... ssed-over/
hava1

Next

Return to General Discussion