Black Box OBL

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Black Box OBL

Postby 8bitagent » Thu May 19, 2011 4:57 pm

2012 Countdown wrote:

No really, its REAL! I'm an expert!

Kohlman is by far one of the most smarmy see-you-next-tuesdays I've ever seen on television. The guy probably jerks off to al qaeda recruitment videos and screams out "restore the caliphate!" when he makes love to his wife. That glee in his eye, he just lights up every time an MSNBC wonk asks him about al kwaydugs or oh be ell. For some reason MSNBC gets all the real swarthy guys...Fox News usually ends up having "spooks" who dont always paint the normal narrative(Lt Col Anthony Schaefer, Michael Schuer, Baer, etc)
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Fri May 20, 2011 12:45 am

http://www.odwyerpr.com/blog/index.php? ... byist.html

Monday, May 2. 2011

Welcome Back, Harriet Miers, Pakistan Lobbyist

President Bush, who went from wanting Osama bin Laden “dead or alive” in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 to “really just don’t spend too much time on bin Laden” a year later after the murderer's trail ran cold, congratulated President Obama for his decisive leadership that took out the terror kingpin.

Kudos to the former Commander-in-Chief for graciously emerging from the shadows to praise his successor.

Another Bush aide will soon take center stage. Welcome back, Harriet Miers.

Ms. Miers had a brief fling with the white hot Washington spotlight in 2005 when Dubya suggested she would make a heckuva Supreme Court Justice. Alas, Miers, who was GWB’s personal counsel, withdrew her nomination after a storm of protest over her qualifications.

With that dramatic exit, Miers returned to her old stomping grounds, Locke Liddell & Sapp law firm and specifically its Locke Lord Strategies lobbying arm.

Who does Miers represent? She is registered lobbyist for the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Pakistan People’s Party and Pakistan President and co-chair of the PPP Asif Ali Zardari. Miers even reps Zardari’s kids, according to her Justice Dept. filing.

She began working for Pakistan, a $75K a month account for LLS, in August 2008 during the wind-down of Bush II’s second term.

Many Americans find it hard to believe that Pakistan, which the Wall Street Journal reported has been trying to get Afghanistan to boot the U.S. from its soil, had no clue that OBL was living the high life a mere 1,000 yards from the country’s equivalent of West Point. Inquiring minds like Sen. Carl Levin, chair of the Armed Services Committee, said:
“I think the Pakistani army and intelligence have a lot of questions to answer, given the location, the length of time and the apparent fact that this facility was actually built for bin Laden and its closeness to the central location of the Pakistani army.”

A Pakistani editor told NPR this morning that Americans would be beyond naïve to believe that the country’s military and intelligences forces had no clue about bin Laden.

Locke Lord’s contract calls for “clarifying Pakistan’s role as a key partner for the U.S. the efforts to enhance security and stability in a region of broad strategic importance.”

As Dubya would say, Locke Lord’s client has a lot of splainin' to do.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby 8bitagent » Fri May 20, 2011 2:45 am

...with the notion of there still being powerful factions at play...some might call this "neolib" and "neocon".
Clearly, a lot of the neocons are vigorously defending Pakistan against ties to terrorism. This camp includes Rove, Miers and a whole host of other Bush era characters.
However, the "Clinton" side...from ol Leon to even Gates(who seems to be a neolib turncoat more than a neocon plant) have been aggressively pushing the "Pakistan has some splainin' to do" theme.

Remember BOTH Clintonistas(Kagan) and Bushites(James Baker III) defended the Saudis against lawsuits alleging involvement in 9/11 and financing al Qaeda
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby 8bitagent » Sat May 21, 2011 5:05 pm

From our own Spiro Cthiery:
viewtopic.php?p=403762#p403762

by Sibel Edmonds
Bin Laden Death Script & the Needed Trigger for Next Step-Pakistan

Too long to quote, but its a damn good read:
http://www.boilingfrogspost.com/2011/05 ... -pakistan/
8bitagent

Postby JackRiddler » Sun May 22, 2011 6:59 pm

From the main Obama/Osama thread:

freemason9 wrote:I think that Obama may have done the unthinkable by actually ordering the killing of bin Laden. It seems obvious that, to this point, OBL has been a protected person, and basically off-limits to the harsher forms of justice; whether or not he was involved in 9/11 is immaterial, he was Saudi royalty and off limits to American actions.

Obama may have engaged in an incredibly courageous and radical act by finishing the era of bin Laden. Consider that for a moment. It is interesting that he has subsequently called upon Israel to return to its pre-conquest borders of 1967. In addition, it sounds as if Obama "pulled the trigger" when he did because he feared that too many Washington insiders were becoming aware of the circumstances surrounding OBL's possible whereabouts. Ponder that as well. If I am correct, this successful operation happened despite Washington, and despite the intelligence bureaucracy. It happened because a small group of committed people made it happen.

Let's see what unfolds. This may be immensely interesting.

I refuse to rule out this scenario, that Obama put an end to the Osama era in a way that gives him leverage to draw down the wars, and that he may be intending to do so, as a realistic attempt to retrench the empire. I've been arguing in this thread that this would have been an option inherent in the control of OBL by ISI elements (sponsored by USG elements) to provide the bogeyman for the GWOT. Also, that it's unlikely to be pursued with sufficient vigor, given the constellation of actors against deescalation and Obama's usual tendency to crap out on bold initiatives. Reelection is what it's all about, for him, it's the nature of the US system.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby DrVolin » Sun May 22, 2011 8:17 pm

I don't rule it out either, I just don't give it much of a chance :)
all these dreams are swept aside
By bloody hands of the hypnotized
Who carry the cross of homicide
And history bears the scars of our civil wars

--Guns and Roses
DrVolin

Postby JackRiddler » Sun May 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Oh you. I hate it when you say the same thing as me in pithier fashion.

JackRiddler

Postby DrVolin » Mon May 23, 2011 9:16 pm

I'll try to be pithlesser, or perhaps even more pithless.
all these dreams are swept aside
By bloody hands of the hypnotized
Who carry the cross of homicide
And history bears the scars of our civil wars

--Guns and Roses
DrVolin

Postby JackRiddler » Thu May 26, 2011 10:03 am

DrV, it would be a shame if you were pithless. I love your stuff. Seriously.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ma ... s-pakistan

US cuts troop numbers in Pakistan

Pakistan asks US to reduce military footprint in a sign of its annoyance over how raid that killed Bin Laden was carried out

James Meikle and agencies
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 26 May 2011 10.26 BST

Former Pakistani president General Pervez Musharraf said that neither he nor senior officials had colluded in providing refuge for Osama bin Laden. Photograph: Carl Court/AFP/Getty Images

SNIP

The request will be taken as a sign of Islamabad's annoyance that the raid on Bin Laden's compound at Abbottabad was carried out without its knowledge. There have been suspicions in Washington that some in Pakistan knew the al-Qaida leader's hideout.

But Pervez Musharraf, the former president of Pakistan, denied that the country's ISI intelligence service knew, at any level, of the presence of the world's most wanted man in the garrison city. However, in an interview with BBC's Newsnight on Wednesday, he admitted that it was "very difficult to prove non-complicity".

Musharraf said he had been surprised and shocked to discover where Bin Laden had been hiding. He added that neither he nor senior government officials had colluded in providing refuge for the fugitive while he was in power between 1999 and 2007. "I can't imagine in my wildest dreams that the intelligence agency was doing something without telling me, so therefore there was no complicity at the strategic level."

However, the intelligence service had demonstrated "negligence, ineptitude and failure" in its failure to detect Bin Laden, he said.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:12 am

Literally within a week of news stories generated by his just-published book, on links between ISI and Pakistani Navy to "al Qaeda," reporter Syed Saleem Shahzad of Asia Times Online was kidnapped and later found dead in a canal, his body showing signs of torture. This crime and great tragedy seems to be a significant indicator of something, no? I don't see a condemnation at the State Department, but no naming of the ISI, also tellingly.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes ... s-pak-navy

Reporter who exposed Pak Navy men's link with al-Qaida killed

AP, Jun 1, 2011, 12.16am IST

Tags: Human Rights Watch

ISLAMABAD: A well-known Pakistani investigative reporter who had complained of threats from the country's Inter-Services Intelligence was found dead on Tuesday, two days after he disappeared following the publication of his articles that exposed links between Pakistan navy personnel and al-Qaida operatives.

Syed Saleem Shahzad, 40, the Pakistan bureau chief for Asia Times Online, was found dead in Punjab province about 200km from Islamabad. His body, fished out of a canal, was identified by his brother-in-law Hamza Amir. It bore marks of torture, police said, one officer adding that he had cuts on his face.

The author of "Inside al-Qaeda and the Taliban: Beyond Bin Laden and 9/11" published earlier this month, Shahzad reported briefly from Pakistan for The Times of India few years back. He is survived by his widow Anila, and sons — Fahad (14), Syed Rehman (8) — and daughter Amina (12).

Soon after Shahzad went missing on Sunday evening while on the way to a TV station from his Islamabad home, a representative of Pakistan's Human Rights Watch, Ali Dayan Hasan, told the Daily Times of Pakistan that "credible sources" claimed Shahzad was apprehended by the ISI. Members of Shahzad's family told the editor of Asia Times that many of Shahzad's friends believed him to be in ISI custody and that he was "safe and would be released after 48 hours".

"He told us that if anything happened to him, we should inform the media about the situation and the threats," Hasan said.

Shahzad had on several occasions been warned by ISI officers over his reports they considered "detrimental to Pakistan's national interest".

His last report on May 29 gave details of contacts between the Pakistan navy and al-Qaida operatives and how the terror group had infiltrated the Mehran base in Karachi and helped organize the devastating attack on May 22.

Police said Shahzad's body was found near his white Toyota Corolla car at Sarai Alamghir near Jhelum town. After police informed Shahzad's family, a relative went to the site and identified the body. Shahzad's family had earlier told the media that the description provided by police did not match with that of the missing journalist, which initially led to hope that he might be alive.

While scores of angry and shocked journalists gathered at his Islamabad home to pay their last respects, there was no word from the government or the army on the killing and neither did any authority visit his home. Pakistani journalists have planned a rally in Islamabad on Wednesday to protest the killing of Shahzad.

Coverage in Asia Times:

Jun 2, 2011

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/MF02Df08.html

Pakistan - silencing the truth-seekers
By Karamatullah K Ghori

See Justice, not words, Target: Saleem, Why is he not alive? and Tributes to Saleem.

Where does one draw the line between a devoted journalist's right to sift the truth from fiction and report, and an assassin's bloodlust to silence him?

The kidnapping and murder of Asia Times Online's Pakistan bureau chief, Syed Saleem Shahzad, only days after he had exposed a possible link between al-Qaeda and Pakistani servicemen [1], in the macabre but gory drama of Karachi's apparently well-guarded naval-aviation base, Mehran, invaded on May 22 by a handful of terrorists, raises that obvious question.

I had written a piece for Hong Kong-based Asia Times Online on that incident and was informed that the article would appear on Thursday, May 26. But my take on the brazen development didn't appear because on the same day Saleem had filed a copious, ***two-part*** story on what had actually transpired and who might have been involved in that obvious breach of security at a prestigious naval base in the heart of Pakistan's largest city.

I felt sorry that my story had been killed, but appreciated the editor's compulsion for doing it. Saleem was the man on the spot, whereas I was a distant observer from thousands of kilometers away.

But how I wish, now, that Asia Times Online hadn't carried Saleem's no-holds-barred analytical expose of what is without doubt a cloak-and-dagger story of which we haven't, yet, seen all.

Saleem, 40, disappeared on his way to a television interview in Islamabad on Sunday evening. On Tuesday, police said they had found his body in Mandi Bahauddin, about 150 kilometers southeast of the capital. There were indications that he had been tortured. He is survived by his wife, Anita, and two sons aged 14 and seven, and a daughter aged 12.

Those assassins who've silenced him forever may not have read what he wrote. But once a man makes a blip on their radar, he stays there, in their gun-sights, until they get him. Saleem isn't the first, nor will be the last, Pakistani or foreign journalist whose life flame has been put out by the merchants of death who have apparently been roaming the land and plying their trade with virtual impunity. Pakistan had the most journalist deaths in the world in 2010 - 44 - and not one killer has been brought to justice.

Pakistan is "the world’s most dangerous country for journalists" the Paris-based press-monitoring group Reporters Without Borders said last month.

Human Rights Watch cited a "reliable interlocutor" who said Saleem had been abducted by the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI). "This killing bears all the hallmarks of previous killings perpetrated by Pakistani intelligence agencies," said a senior researcher for Human Rights Watch in South Asia, Ali Dayan Hasan. He called for a "transparent investigation and court proceedings".

In mid-October last year, Saleem sent an e-mail to the editor of Asia Times Online, Tony Allison, which contained part of an exchange between Saleem and an official of the ISI. It read, "I must give you a favor. We have recently arrested a terrorist and recovered a lot of data, diaries and other material during the interrogation. The terrorist had a list with him. If I find your name in the list, I will certainly let you know."

Saleem told Allison that he specifically interpreted this as a direct threat. He had been summoned to ISI headquarters over the publication of an exclusive report that Pakistan had released the supreme commander of the Taliban in Afghanistan, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, so that he could play a pivotal role in backchannel talks through the Pakistani army with Washington. (Pakistan frees Taliban commander October 16, 2010.)

The ISI demanded that Saleem reveal his sources, and also write a rebuttal. Saleem refused, to the obvious displeasure of the ISI officials who included Rear Admiral Adnan Nawaz and Commodore Khalid Pervaiz, both from the navy.

At this point, Allison suggested to Saleem that he lay low for a little while. His response was abrupt and summed up the man, "If I hold back and don't do my job, I might as well just make the tea."

Saleem began his journalistic career as a bit-part reporter in the early 1990s in the southern port city of Karachi covering the municipal beat. He began writing for Asia Times Online 10 years ago and through a doggedness and burning desire to get to the truth that became a hallmark of his career he became internationally recognized as a leading expert on al-Qaeda and militancy. His book Inside Al-Qaeda and the Taliban. Beyond Bin Laden and 9/11 was released by Pluto Press last week.

United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton commented on Saleem's killing, "The United States strongly condemns the abduction and killing of reporter Syed Saleem Shahzad. His work reporting on terrorism and intelligence issues in Pakistan brought to light the troubles extremism poses to Pakistan’s stability.” Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari has expressed sorrow and ordered an immediate inquiry.

Saleem's journey took him into the badlands that span the Afghanistan-Pakistan border, the mountainous region that is home to militants of all shades. In November 2006 he was held captive by the Taliban in Afghanistan for six days, but within days he was back in business, literally sweating, as he would joke, up and down the valleys of North and South Waziristan. (See A 'guest' of the Taliban Asia Times Online, November 20, 2006.)

He interviewed some of the most notorious militant leaders, including Sirajuddin Haqqani, a major player in the Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan, and Ilyas Kashmiri, a Pakistani militant who heads 313 Brigade, the operational arm of al-Qaeda. (See Al-Qaeda's guerrilla chief lays out strategy October 15, 2009.)

Killing, in cold blood a man of letters like Saleem amounts to an open declaration of war against the fundamental principles of Islam and defiance of the teachings of its Messenger, Prophet Mohammad, who bestowed the greatest honors on a seeker of truth by intoning that "the ink of a scholar's pen is holier than a martyr's blood".

The core problem in the context of Pakistan is the failure of the state as a whole - which includes its ruling elite, the military brass and civil society in general - to come to grips with the challenge of fundamentalists and their soul-comrades, the terrorists.

Except for a small segment of the intelligentsia bemoaning the debasing of Pakistan's moorings, there is hardly any backlash in evidence against the corrosive damage the fundamentalists are doing to its social order. The silence of the clergy against the defacing of Islam is simply deafening. Those few voices that articulated against terrorists have been brutally silenced.

The ruling elite has become almost irrelevant to the country's crying need for wise and enlightened leadership to arrest the inexorable slide into anarchy. Their sole concern is with remaining in power by any means, even if it means subcontracting Pakistan to a United States agenda.

The military leadership, on its part, has failed to check the spread of the festering cancer of fundamentalism and radicalism in its ranks - a damning legacy of General Zia ul-Haq's 11 years at the head of Pakistan, and then General Pervez Musharraf's rule until August 2008. Saleem's last contribution to Asia Times Online focused intently on this "black hole" of Pakistan.

And he paid for it with his life.

Pakistan's military brass remains hopelessly mired in its infatuation with parity with India in military hardware and it must therefore stay on the right side of US to keep its arsenal well stocked. Its latest decision to sign on to Washington's demand for military action in North Waziristan - a central piece of Clinton's visit to Islamabad on May 27 - is evidence of the US agenda in the region ruling the roost in Islamabad. A blitz in North Waziristan will, inevitably, lead to a more virulent terrorist backlash in the rest of the country and more spilling of innocent blood like Saleem's.

Note
1. Al-Qaeda had warned of Pakistan strike Asia Times Online, May 27.

(Additional reporting by Asia Times Online.)

Karamatullah K Ghori is a former Pakistani ambassador. He can be reached at K_K_ghori@yahoo.com

(Copyright 2011 Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/MF02Df02.html

Jun 2, 2011

Why is he not alive?

By Susan Marie

See Pakistan: Silencing the truth-seekers, Justice, not words, Target: Saleem and Tributes to Saleem.

What is truth? According to Merriam-Webster, truth is defined as: fact, the body of real things, an idea that is true or accepted as true, and reality. What then is a journalist? A journalist is a writer who aims at a mass audience through the medium of journalism. Journalism is writing characterized by a direct presentation of facts or a description of events without an attempt at interpretation. This means a journalism is a writer who writes truth without personal opinion based upon fact and reality.

Journalist Syed Saleem Shahzad was the Pakistan Bureau Chief of Asia Times Online, covering issues of global security, focusing on al-Qaeda and the Taliban. Shahzad has reported on Islamist movements, taking him to Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan, Iran, Syria and the United Arab Emirates.

Saleem introduced the world to al-Qaeda and Sheikh Essa. His interviews included: Taliban commanders Sirajuddin Haqqani and Qari Ziaur Rahman, and Ilyas Kashmiri, who leads 313 Brigade, the operational arm of al-Qaeda.

On May 20, 2011, 11 days before his untimely death, Saleem's new book was released: Inside Al-Qaeda and the Taliban: Beyond Bin Laden and 9/11 through Pluto Press in the UK. On May 4, Shahzad wrote of the death of Osama bin Laden.

In November of 2007, Saleem constructed a brief on Pakistan Security Research Unit (PSRU) entitled: The Gathering Strength of Taliban and Tribal Militants in Pakistan. The brief focused on extremism, terrorism, nuclear weapons, internal stability and cohesion, and was a useful resource for anyone interested in the security of Pakistan.

To quote Saleem: "The unending Pakistan/NATO/US military operations in the tribal areas, which are seen by Taliban and tribal groups as being fought for a complete victory and without a will for political reconciliation, have radicalized Pakistan's North West Frontier Province."

"After 9/11, a very rustic religious zeal and the Taliban's affinity with Pakistani tribal groups was the reason behind providing shelter to the Arab-Afghan Diaspora in South Waziristan and North Waziristan, but Washington-sponsored Pakistan's half-hearted military operations in 2002-03 united some of the force in a shared war of retribution."

STOP.

What Saleem is presenting is an investigative document based on historical fact and research without imbuing it with his own opinion. What then again is truth? The body of real things. A journalist? A writer who aims at an audience with a direct presentation of fact without adding his own opinion.

On May 31, 2011, Saleem Shahzad was found dead. Syed Saleem Shahzad went missing on Sunday, after he left his home in the capital to take part in a talk show, but never arrived. He disappeared two days after writing an investigative report in Asia Times Online that Al-Qaeda carried out last month's attack on a naval air base to avenge the arrest of naval officials arrested on suspicion of al-Qaeda links (see Al-Qaeda had warned of Pakistan strike, Asia Times Online, May 26).

Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, Committee to Protect Journalists and Democracy Now have issued public statements regarding the abject horror over one man's death. In 2006, Saleem was captured by the Taliban in Afghanistan, yet he remained alive.

Refer to Saleem's 2007 brief: "As Western-backed military operations continue, Taliban numbers are rising steeply and their confidence is growing. They have even been joined by some Pakistan Army officers who have resigned from the Pakistan Army."

He continued with: "The Taliban are planning to take the war to Pakistan and Afghanistan's major cities and to build an Islamic Emirate. The more the US-backed war is prolonged, the more sophisticated the Taliban will be in their strategic development."

Read the above sentence again.

And again.

That was 2007.

The Associated Press of Pakistan reports: "President Asif Ali Zardari expressed his deep grief and sorrow ... The President expressed his determination to bring the culprits to justice. He said the present government firmly believes in freedom of media and promotion of democratic values."

The constitution of Pakistan states in the preamble: "Therein shall be guaranteed fundamental rights, including equality of status, of opportunity and before law, social, economic and political justice, and freedom of thought, expression, belief, faith, worship and association, subject to law and public morality."

In Part II: Chapter 1: Fundamental Rights: Article 19: "Every citizen shall have the right to freedom of speech and expression, and there shall be freedom of the press, subject to any reasonable restrictions imposed by law in the interest of the glory of Islam or the integrity, security or defence of Pakistan or any part thereof, friendly relations with foreign states, public order, decency or morality, or in relation to contempt of court, commission of, or incitement to an offence."

Read that again.

After Saleem's body was found some six miles (10 kilometers) from his car, an initial exam found signs of torture, but autopsy results were pending.

Article 5: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights: "No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment."

Saleem Shahzad was a journalist in the truest sense. He presented fact without his own opinion. Why then is he not alive?

Article 19: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights: "Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."

Saleem Shahzad is survived by his wife Anita and three children. Purchase his book Inside Al-Qaeda and the Taliban. Beyond Bin Laden and 9/11 through Pluto Press to further his work in journalism and assist his family in their time of such unnecessary loss.

Susan Marie Public Relations, Think Twice Radio, New York, USA

Jun 2, 2011

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/MF02Df03.html

Target: Saleem
By Pepe Escobar

See Pakistan: Silencing the truth-seekers, Justice, not words, Why is he not alive? and Tributes to Saleem.

Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) deserves a medal of honor. Quite an intel op; whether it did it directly, subcontracted by military intelligence or through ''rogue'' elements, it has set the bar very high.

After all, when a Pakistani journalist - not a foreigner - writes that al-Qaeda is infiltrated deep inside the Pakistani military establishment, one's got to act with utmost courage.

So you abduct the journalist. You torture him. And you snuff him. Target assassination - the low-tech version. After all, if the Pentagon can drone their way to tribal heaven - and get away with it - why not join the fun?

Saleem was a brother. In the aftermath of 9/11 we worked in tandem; he was in Karachi, I was in Islamabad/Peshawar. After the US ''victory'' in Afghanistan I went to visit him at home. He plunged me into Karachi's wild side - in this and other visits. During a night walk on the beach he confessed his dream; he wanted to be Pakistan bureau chief for Asia Times, which he regarded as the K2 of journalism. He got it.

And then, years before ''AfPak'' was invented, he found his perfect beat - the intersection between the ISI, the myriad Taliban factions on both sides of AfPak, and all sorts of jihadi eruptions. That was his sterling beat; and no one could bring more hardcore news from the heart of hardcore than Saleem.

I had met some of his sources in Islamabad and Karachi - but over the years he kept excavating deeper and deeper into the shadows. Sometimes we seriously debated over e-mails - I feared some dodgy/devious ISI strands were playing him while he always vouched for his sources.

Cornered by the law of the jungle, no wonder most of my Pakistani friends, during the 2000s, became exiles in the United States or Canada. Saleem stayed - threats and all, the only concession relocating from Karachi to Islamabad.

Now they finally got him. Not an al-Qaeda or jihadi connection. Not a tribal or Taliban connection, be it Mullah Omar or Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan. It had to be the ISI - as he knew, and told us, all along.

So congratulations to the ISI - the ''state within the state''. Mission accomplished.

Pepe Escobar is the author of Globalistan: How the Globalized World is Dissolving into Liquid War (Nimble Books, 2007) and Red Zone Blues: a snapshot of Baghdad during the surge. His latest is Obama does Globalistan (Nimble Books, 2009).

He may be reached at pepeasia@yahoo.com.

(Copyright 2011 Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:59 pm

A review of Shahzad's book:

http://counterpunch.org/porter06082011.html

June 8, 2011
Occupation and Blowback
How the US Wars Have Served Al-Qaeda

By GARETH PORTER

Al-Qaeda strategists have been assisting the Taliban fight against U.S.-NATO forces in Afghanistan because they believe that foreign occupation has been the biggest factor in generating Muslim support for uprisings against their governments, according to the just-published book by Syed Saleem Shahzad, the Pakistani journalist whose body was found in a canal outside Islamabad last week with evidence of having been tortured.

That Al-Qaeda view of the U.S.-NATO war in Afghanistan, which Shahzad reports in the book based on conversations with several senior Al- Qaeda commanders, represents the most authoritative picture of the organisation's thinking available to the public.

Shahzad's book "Inside Al-Qaeda and the Taliban" was published on May 24 – only three days before he went missing from Islamabad on his way to a television interview. His body was found May 31.

Shahzad, who had been the Pakistan bureau chief for the Hong Kong- based Asia Times, had unique access to senior Al-Qaeda commanders and cadres, as well as those of the Afghan Taliban and the Pakistani Taliban organisations. His account of Al-Qaeda strategy is particularly valuable because of the overall ideological system and strategic thinking that emerged from many encounters Shahzad had with senior officials over several years.

Shahzad's account reveals that Osama bin Laden was a "figurehead" for public consumption, and that it was Dr. Ayman Zawahiri who formulated the organisation's ideological line or devised operational plans.

Shahzad summarises the Al-Qaeda strategy as being to "win the war against the West in Afghanistan" before shifting the struggle to Central Asia and Bangladesh. He credits Al-Qaeda and its militant allies in North and South Waziristan with having transformed the tribal areas of Pakistan into the main strategic base for the Taliban resistance to U.S.-NATO forces.

But Shahzad's account makes it clear that the real objective of Al- Qaeda in strengthening the Taliban struggle against U.S.-NATO forces in Afghanistan was to continue the U.S.-NATO occupation as an indispensable condition for the success of Al-Qaeda's global strategy of polarising the Islamic world.

Shahzad writes that Al-Qaeda strategists believed its terrorist attacks on 9/11 would lead to a U.S. invasion of Afghanistan which would in turn cause a worldwide "Muslim backlash". That "backlash" was particularly important to what emerges in Shahzad's account as the primary Al-Qaeda aim of stimulating revolts against regimes in Muslim countries.

Shahzad reveals that the strategy behind the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the large Al-Qaeda ambitions to reshape the Muslim world came from Zawahiri's "Egyptian camp" within Al-Qaeda. That group, under Zawahiri's leadership, had already settled on a strategic vision by the mid-1990s, according to Shahzad.

The Zawahiri group's strategy, according to Shahzad, was to "speak out against corrupt and despotic Muslim governments and make them targets to destroy their image in the eyes of the common people". But they would do so by linking those regimes to the United States.

In a 2004 interview cited by Shahzad, one of bin Laden's collaborators, Saudi opposition leader Saad al-Faqih, said Zawahiri had convinced bin Laden in the late 1990s that he had to play on the U.S. "cowboy" mentality that would elevate him into an "implacable enemy" and "produce the Muslim longing for a leader who could successfully challenge the West."

Shahzad makes it clear that the U.S. occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq were the biggest break Al-Qaeda had ever gotten. Muslim religious scholars had issued decrees for the defence of Muslim lands against the non-Muslim occupiers on many occasions before the U.S.-NATO war in Afghanistan, Shahzad points out.

But once such religious decrees were extended to Afghanistan, Zawahiri could exploit the issue of the U.S. occupation of Muslim lands to organise a worldwide "Muslim insurgency". That strategy depended on being able to provoke discord within societies by discrediting regimes throughout the Muslim world as not being truly Muslim.

Shahzad writes that the Al-Qaeda strategists became aware that Muslim regimes - particularly Saudi Arabia - had become active in trying to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan by 2007, because they feared that as long as they continued "there was no way of stopping Islamist revolts and rebellions in Muslim countries."

What Al-Qaeda leaders feared most, as Shahzad's account makes clear, was any move by the Taliban toward a possible negotiated settlement - even based on the complete withdrawal of U.S. troops. Al-Qaeda strategists portrayed the first "dialogue" with the Afghan Taliban sponsored by the Saudi king in 2008 as an extremely dangerous U.S. plot - a view scarcely supported by the evidence from the U.S. side.

Shahzad's book confirms previous evidence of fundamental strategic differences between Taliban leadership and Al-Qaeda.

Those differences surfaced in 2005, when Mullah Omar sent a message to all factions in North and South Waziristan to abandon all other activities and join forces with the Taliban in Afghanistan. And when Al-Qaeda declared the "khuruj" (popular uprising against a Muslim ruler for un-Islamic governance) against the Pakistani state in 2007, Omar opposed that strategy, even though it was ostensibly aimed at deterring U.S. attacks on the Taliban.

Shahzad reports that the one of Al-Qaeda's purposes in creating the Pakistani Taliban in early 2008 was to "draw the Afghan Taliban away from Mullah Omar's influence".

And the "Al-Qaeda" Shahzad talks about there is apparently is a network more closely related to ISI than the Taliban.

The Shahzad account refutes the official U.S. military rationale for the war in Afghanistan, which is based on the presumption that Al- Qaeda is primarily interested in getting the U.S. and NATO forces out of Afghanistan and that the Taliban and Al-Qaeda are locked in a tight ideological and strategic embrace.

Shahzad's account shows that despite cooperative relations with Pakistan's ISI in the past, Al-Qaeda leaders decided after 9/11 that the Pakistani military would inevitably become a full partner in the U.S. "war on terror" and would turn against Al-Qaeda.

The relationship did not dissolve immediately after the terror attacks, according to Shahzad. He writes that ISI chief Mehmood Ahmed assured Al-Qaeda when he visited Kandahar in September 2011 that the Pakistani military would not attack Al-Qaeda as long it didn't attack the military.

He also reports that Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf held a series of meetings with several top jihadi and religious leaders and asked them to lie low for five years, arguing that the situation could change after that period. According to Shahzad's account, Al-Qaeda did not intend at the beginning to launch a jihad in Pakistan against the military but was left with no other option when the Pakistani military sided with the U.S. against the Jihadis.

The major turning point was an October 2003 Pakistani military helicopter attack in North Waziristan which killed many militants. In apparent retaliation in December 2003, there were two attempts on Musharraf's life, both organised by a militant whom Shahzad says was collaborating closely with Al-Qaeda.

In his last interview with The Real News Network, however, Shahzad appeared to contradict that account, reporting that ISI had wrongly told Musharraf that Al-Qaeda was behind the attempts, and even that there was some Pakistani Air Force involvement in the plot.

Gareth Porter is an investigative historian and journalist with Inter-Press Service specialising in U.S. national security policy. The paperback edition of his latest book, "Perils of Dominance: Imbalance of Power and the Road to War in Vietnam", was published in 2006.

JackRiddler

Postby thatsmystory » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Two factors in regard to Porter's reporting:

1) Stated policy goals vs. real policy goals. Watching documentaries on Netflix makes it possible to understand why US occupations in Afghanistan and Iraq are problematic. I am reminded of the Obama apologist theorists who can't understand why he keeps making "bad decisions."

2) Actual capability of al Qaeda. Some people like to characterize al Qaeda as a bunch of manchurian puppets or actors hired to take part in an elaborate hijacking exercise. IMO the key question is the capability. An independent terrorist organization that is aided by intelligence agencies is contradictory.
thatsmystory

Postby 8bitagent » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:06 am

Literally within a week of news stories generated by his just-published book, on links between ISI and Pakistani Navy to "al Qaeda," reporter Syed Saleem Shahzad of Asia Times Online was kidnapped and later found dead in a canal, his body showing signs of torture. This crime and great tragedy seems to be a significant indicator of something, no? I don't see a condemnation at the State Department, but no naming of the ISI, also tellingly.

Hmm, like Daniel Pearl...who stumbled upon the ISI-al Qaeda nexus before it was kosher to utter the link
8bitagent

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:45 am

Ack! Damn, editors are a good thing and I see a mistake in the matter you quoted from:

me wrote:Literally within a week of news stories generated by his just-published book, on links between ISI and Pakistani Navy to "al Qaeda," reporter Syed Saleem Shahzad of Asia Times Online was kidnapped and later found dead in a canal, his body showing signs of torture. This crime and great tragedy seems to be a significant indicator of something, no? I don't see a condemnation at the State Department, but no naming of the ISI, also tellingly.

Bolded part: Delete "don't." I saw a condemnation of the Shahzad killing from the State Department, but no naming of the ISI. (That way the sentence also makes sense.)

JackRiddler

Postby vanlose kid » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:14 pm

(sort of OT) open question.

i was watching this this three-part 1992 BBC doc on Gladio recently:

all you old heads know the story obviously, but something jumped out at me.

W. Colby when talking about the stay-behinds in general uses the phrase "the base" three times. so i start wondering.

didn't "they" (collective) set up stay-behinds in the ME and FE after the retreat of Axis forces? gladio like units in Egypt, Turkey, Pakistan, Japan, etc. Al-Qaeda means "The Base". they supposedly sprang up out of nowhere in the 70s?

has any one written anything in this vein or looked into it? am i reading too much into a throwaway phrase?

"Teach them to think. Work against the government." – Wittgenstein.
vanlose kid

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion