Non-Time and Hauntology

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Non-Time and Hauntology

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:52 pm

From the film Berlin Now, 1985 (Dir: Wolfgang Büld & Sissi Kelling): "Tomorrow Belongs To Me":

The song "Der morgige Tag ist mein" was already well-known in the anglophone world due to the English version used 13 years earlier in Bob Fosse's Cabaret, and six years before that in the original Broadway musical:

Musik: J. Kander; Text: Fred Ebb

But the history of its composition (and reception) is more interesting than you might think.(Caveat lector.) -- On Edit: I decided (nobody asked me to, by the way) to remove that embedded link to a far-right US site. No reason why they should get traffic from RI. You can find a very brief and much less detailed (but sufficient) history of the song here:

http://duranduran.wikia.com/wiki/Tomorrow_Belongs_To_Me
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Degenerate Art Ensemble + history of degenerate art, music

Postby Allegro » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:52 pm

WIKI excerpt | Degenerate music (German: Entartete Musik) was a label applied in the 1930s by the Nazi government in Germany to certain forms of music that it considered to be harmful or decadent. The Nazi government’s concern for degenerate music was a part of its larger and more well-known campaign against degenerate art (‘Entartete Kunst’). In both cases, the government attempted to isolate, discredit, discourage, or ban the works.

^ Sonic Tales | Degenerate Art Ensemble | Uploaded Jun 22, 2010.
    From YOUTUBE NOTES. DAE’s sonic tales was performed at the Moore Theatre in Seattle in October of 2009.

excerpt | Degenerate Art Ensemble invades all of the senses with work inspired by punk, comics, cinema, nightmares and fairy tales through cross-discipline post-genre performance collaboration that is at once visceral, unforgettable and sublime. The work brings together the rarest of art influences with a virtuosity that appears as effortless organized spontaneity. The group’s work is infused with the energy of live original music and driven by a unique style of visceral movement theatre and dance that aims to achieve a heightened sense of awareness one might find in a sacrificial rite. These immersive meditations strip away the waking world to reveal an alternate reality inhabited by transforming otherworldly characters. Their work hits the audience at a subliminal, visceral, guttural level where worlds rise and fall before their eyes.

“You can trace plenty of avant-garde and indie influences -- Pina Bausch, anime, the Kronos Quartet, Aphex Twin, among others. The members are bold, versatile musicians, and move from thrash to classical to rap with appealing nonchalance. (Degenerate Art Ensemble’s) Haruko Nishimura has real physical charisma, and her Butoh-inspired twitches, blinks and eerie vocalizing register vividly. They have a keen sense of materials and space.” (LA TIMES)

WIKI excerpt | Degenerate art is the English translation of the German entartete Kunst, a term adopted by the Nazi regime in Germany to describe virtually all modern art. Such art was banned on the grounds that it was un-German or Jewish Bolshevist in nature, and those identified as degenerate artists were subjected to sanctions. These included being dismissed from teaching positions, being forbidden to exhibit or to sell their art, and in some cases being forbidden to produce art entirely.

Degenerate Art was also the title of an exhibition, mounted by the Nazis in Munich in 1937, consisting of modernist artworks chaotically hung and accompanied by text labels deriding the art. Designed to inflame public opinion against modernism, the exhibition subsequently traveled to several other cities in Germany and Austria.

While modern styles of art were prohibited, the Nazis promoted paintings and sculptures that were traditional in manner and that exalted the “blood and soil” values of racial purity, militarism, and obedience. Similarly, music was expected to be tonal and free of any jazz influences; films and plays were censored.[1]
Art will be the last bastion when all else fades away.
~ Timothy White (b 1952), American rock music journalist

Blog: View Blog (144)

Hello, kelley

Postby Allegro » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:53 pm

kelley » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:32 pm wrote:quick skim and looks fantastic

very dense and lots to ponder

thanks for posting
Good to see you, kelley!

The original post was skipped over, but not this time. My highlight bolded red.
kelley » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:39 am wrote:if it's an eagle, herald of the gods, symbol of the republic, projection of empire, aquila, aigle de drapeau, nazi adler . . . if it's a dove, the figure represents not simply 'world peace', with the literal spelling of the word in place of an olive branch, but the appeal (as related to both plea and desire) of this concept. if nothing else, the comportment of this vague shape suggests to me the holy spirit hovering above the mystic of the lamb in jan van eyck's ghent altarpiece, which depicts an eternal reign of the divine christ.

this is what i mean by pastiche. there's no poetics of ambiguity in madonna's presentation of this iconography. instead, it's just the muddled esperanto of a procession of styles that's come to characterize 'postmodernism'. there's no wit in the quotation and no understanding of the reference; it really is drained of any suggestive or expressive power beyond the will of the individual who brandishes it.
I found that post the other day, and nearly jumped outta my chair. Thank You, kelley. And Thanks too for Saurian Tail, who began that thread.

Postby kelley » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:32 am

watched michael cimino's 'the deer hunter' last weekend. again.

this film has always, uh, haunted me. this time in particular i found the use of music astonishing, effectively creating of a sort of 'non-time' in relation to the exact moment in which the narrative unspools.

aside from the use of the frankie valli single that dates to 1967 (a square artist indeed during the summer of love-- the four seasons were a vocal group whose stylings had been swept aside by the british invasion of the early '60s), i have a difficult time placing these characters in that year, if indeed that is when the story commences (i doubt this, and think it later). this is compounded by the film's production design, from the russian orthodox set pieces (also with music of varying types, but decidedly ethnic) to the makes and models of automobiles seen in the parking lot at the mill as nicky, michael, et al leave work, to the wardrobe throughout, especially that of the men, to the curious stacking of real things, consumer detritus really, that's glimpsed in numerous scenes from beginning to end, both in pennsylvania and in vietnam (the cases of beer and liquor teetering in the barroom at the wedding reception; the heaped KFC takeout packages atop michael's refrigerator; linda pricing stock at the eagle market; the traumatized angela grasping an untuned transistor radio crackling with static, catatonic in bed, surrounded by piles of unopened wedding gifts; i probably, obviously, needn't mention the loading of aluminum caskets in the hospital courtyard overlooked by wounded GIs and medical staff). as the film draws to a close and nicky's funeral procession makes its way past the mill to the cemetery, michael is still driving his huge old white cadillac, but stosh is driving a relatively new blue firebird with a white hardtop; this is really the only visual cue, aside from the brief glimpse of a news report, that places life in clairton in the present moment, which is 1975, the year saigon fell.

the 'russian' preoccupations of the film are complex, but relative to the medium and its history, i hear the director's acoustic motif repeated throughout as a conceptual echo of 'laura's theme', the melancholy balalaika tune featured throughout 'doctor zhivago'. this was particularly striking, as that film was released in 1965 and would have likely been seen by many of cimino's characters, the bridesmaids particularly. another cue structured along these lines were the three handsome panels showing nicky, michael, and steven, hanging in the hall at the wedding reception and presented as a kind of 'social realism' done in an all-american manner, the huge portraits surrounded by bunting and the like.

i was raised in the industrial northeast in a white, ethnic, catholic, blue-collar family, and these scenes aren't unfamiliar. it appears cimino's film is intent upon showing us an erasure of specificity in a manner related to the nascent neoliberalism born during the war, and how it will come to operate in the decade after this film's release, where past, present, and future no longer maintain a linear relationship to one another, and the material basis of life is slowly hollowed out. i was surprised to encounter this film as a possible product of a proto-hauntological mind. i may be imagining this, but i think there's something there which may support such a thesis.

ps-- and re: the music, the chopin nocturnes played on the piano in the bar by the proprietor, john. how could i have forgotten!

pss-- and the final scene, in which irving berlin's 'god bless america' is sung a cappella around the makeshift breakfast cum wake for nicky.
kelley

Postby 8bitagent » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:02 am

MacCruiskeen » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:52 pm wrote:From the film Berlin Now, 1985 (Dir: Wolfgang Büld & Sissi Kelling): "Tomorrow Belongs To Me":

The song "Der morgige Tag ist mein" was already well-known in the anglophone world due to the English version used 13 years earlier in Bob Fosse's Cabaret, and six years before that in the original Broadway musical:

Musik: J. Kander; Text: Fred Ebb

But the history of its composition (and reception) is more interesting than you might think.(Caveat lector.) -- On Edit: I decided (nobody asked me to, by the way) to remove that embedded link to a far-right US site. No reason why they should get traffic from RI. You can find a very brief and much less detailed (but sufficient) history of the song here:

http://duranduran.wikia.com/wiki/Tomorrow_Belongs_To_Me

Funny that, Ive been utterly obsessed with Neubauten for awhile

Between Genesis and 666
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Re: Laurel Halo | Quietus & Spin

Postby 8bitagent » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:07 am

Allegro » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:54 pm wrote:Here’s the excerpted continuation of Ian’s excerpt in the above post. The music journalist, Ms. Bick, does have a way with words in that it took maybe three times reading the Halo review and listening to several of Halo’s recordings to get with Bick’s handy use of words on Halo’s behalf. I rather enjoy her writings since reading her reviews of others, too.

Highlights mine.

Emily Bick on Laurel Halo | October 29th, 2013 09:39

Halo’s sonic palette combines this with cartoonish noises, filtered to sound scuzzy, brittle, gloopy, melted. These effects highlight manipulation and play, and blend with the soft-focus keys of some fern bar and quaaludes Paul Simon late 70s come down to create something grounded, specific to place, anchored in time. The track names here are all about dreams, what is real or archetypal, chases, mirages, all ideas that depend on a material foundation. The cover art - a drawing by Halo’s artist father from the 70s - shows gravediggers pulling up as well as burying coffins, while random men hang around, lounging in other coffins like they’re squashy coffee bar couches, or staring out into a distant field. In the foreground, a man who looks like a cross between Freud and Dracula grouches away.

In ‘Serendip’, Halo cues up about ten layers of low end, skittling around each other at different speeds and occasionally coming together. It sounds like one of those gravity well coin funnels at science museums where the coins all spin past each other, speeding up as they reach the bottom. When these reach a peak, hi-hats build an out-of-phase cicada chorus of fog, while swipes of clear, bright chords doppler past before the bass drops. What Halo does here is play with time, with these loops and layerings, these stacks of slides, while also staking territory within it as the track picks up pace, and scrolls ahead.

Her great leap is to move beyond retro-emulation for its own sake (conjuring ghosts from half-recalled soundtrack textures, however treated, is well and good, but what about the present, or the future? What comes next?). She also avoids the post-internet aesthetic of manipulation prevalent in both images and music. That sort of tweaking acknowledges the modular nature of pixels or bitstreams as objects in their own right, and applies filters, steps and repeats to create uncanny products that bear so little resemblance to their original sources that they can pretend to have sprung from the void. The album’s press kit points out that all instruments were played by Halo to generate the source material used. To be clear, this declaration of and pride in an origin point is, thankfully, not the same as authenticity. That’s a fetish that should stay in the twentieth century where it belongs, along with the idea that disconnected individualist atomisation is viable or even possible. (Would it even make a difference where Halo got her samples from? It’s not like you can say “pics or it didn’t happen”. It’s more interesting that she was bothered to make this kind of declaration at all.)

< end excerpt >

I was into industrial and post punk long before it became a cool thing again with the hipster Pitchfork/Quietus/Vice magazine cadets...but its good to see a new audience getting down with the boogie woogie funk.
I cant imagine my high school years without some heavy dosage of Throbbing Gristle, Joy Division, Cabaret Voltaire, Coil, Foetus, Skinny Puppy, Death in June, Boyd Rice, Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, Nick Cave, Einsturzende Neubauten,
White House, SPK, Klinik, Sparks, Depeche Mode, etc.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby 8bitagent » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:10 am

IanEye » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:32 pm wrote:

Time, post-internet, works in two ways online. There's the slide/slice: the object, the moment, the discrete unit of time that acts as a node in the flat internet universe. Then there's the scroll/stream: this is stuff like Facebook or Twitter feeds; it appears to flow linearly, but it's essentially a skeuomorphic calendar filter applied to an aggregation of the flow of slides, because once new things are added, and then become part of the flat agglomeration of data, they are never lost. Lived time is another beast entirely: it seems to be linear, but memory isn't; bodies droop and look progressively worse in selfies; the second law of thermodynamics kicks in. There's a lot of post-net art that addresses the possibilities and trauma caused by the first two conditions while completely ignoring the third.

Chance Of Rain is one of the first albums I've heard that fully acknowledges, let alone addresses, these contradictions and compositionally works across all three modes of perception. All the tracks on Chance Of Rain are instrumental, anonymised and therefore more universal. Halo combines the time-sliced gloss of the digital eternal present - the short-phase loops of sound, the textural stamps decoupled from their eras of vogue declaring the infinite, brutal flatness of everything ever imagined available all at once - with the kinds of jazz piano chord progressions last seriously heard in the early 80s. Opening track 'Dr. Echt' begins with unfolding rolls up and down the keyboard that evoke the expansive wonder of structures used by new age composer Pauline Anna Strom, recording as Trans-Millennia Consort, on tracks like 1984's 'Alpine Flight'.

LINK

I own the Laurel Halo "Hour Logic" LP from Hippos In Tanks. Tho Ill see your Laurel Halo and raise you a Holly Herndon

8bitagent

Postby Luther Blissett » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:17 am

People don't write long, thoughtful emails to one another anymore? I'm going to go ahead and say that's patently false. I have a dozen or so long-standing, long-form email correspondents, and a few letter-writing old friends from Occupy Oakland or Idle No More who prefer the old analog methods of communication because our theory is that the feds no longer monitor mail and we can talk more frankly about revolt.

The same goes with phone calls. I hate the phone but I have a few colleagues I will pick up for and we can talk at length about all manner of subjects. My girlfriend is the same way.

I know that people here use email for long-form communication.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Luther Blissett » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:12 am

In the future, 2013 will be musically marked as the year that riot grrl made a resurgence with the learned impact of 23 extra years of experience and artistic development casting a huge net over musicdom with radical implications, hip hop was influenced by free jazz and experimental avant garde electronic forms, James Ferraro's dark nightmare scapes hit on something more broadly accessible, DIY basement shows were at the height of their popularity, and electronic music honed in on cultural critique and a realization that the millennial generation will not have it better than their parents no matter what they do.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Allegro » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:16 am

Luther Blissett » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:12 am wrote:…and electronic music honed in on cultural critique and a realization that the millennial generation will not have it better than their parents no matter what they do.
Yes, I tend to agree, Luther Blissett, and Thanks for posting :).

hauntological episode :)

Postby Allegro » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:19 am

Another one for our scrapbook, hauntologically speaking.

^ Resolution of Two

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:07 am

Looks funny & would have liked to watch, but Vimeo pauses every two seconds, very frustrating. What is the secret of netflix, that once first loaded, it streams smoothly for hours?
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby kelley » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:53 am

^ aside from the content and how it's generated, i think netflix buffers at a higher bit rate? which guarantees somewhat smooth streaming of a high quality picture. the compression standards for vimeo differ.
kelley

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:02 am

Hauntology needs bandwidth!
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby kelley » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:47 pm

hauntology needs content! :lol: or something more like it . . . or something more like what content once delivered, or how it was recognized as such.

does this approach the kernel of the issue? because while the world itself seems to undergo significant change, our subjectivity lags. those glitches in the streaming video? they're a formal part of the experience of the work, or its moment, and that's what tends to be overlooked. this sounds banal, but isn't finding the world through an expression of the commonplace some buddhist shit? or at least something that the late arthur danto was after:

In Memoriam

MORGAN MEIS
The Miraculousness of the Commonplace
Remembering Arthur Danto

Arthur Danto, the art critic for the Nation who died last month in New York, was a man with a big idea. Art, he believed, had ended. Of course, it is one thing to proclaim the end of art; it is another thing to prove it. But Danto tried. He was Johnsonian Professor of Philosophy at Columbia University, studied with Merleau-Ponty in Paris as a young man, and wrote a couple of books about analytical philosophy in his early career. Unusually for a postwar American philosopher, Danto thought a lot about Hegel. It was from Hegel that he got the idea that art could end. The idea that art ended never meant, for Danto, that art has died or that people will not make art anymore. Just like Hegel did not mean by the “end of history” that the world was going to explode. “End” here means something more like “completion.” The end of art means that the practice of making art has come to a historical culmination. The end of art means that art doesn’t have a story, a narrative, anymore. After the end of art, there is no such thing as “Art”—there is only art.

Danto came to his realization about the end of art one day in New York City in the mid 1960s. Danto was himself painting in those days. He was also, as he readily admitted later, something of a snob and aesthete. One evening in the late spring of 1964, he stumbled into the Stable Gallery on 74th Street. At the Stable Gallery, Danto came face to face with Andy Warhol’s Brillo Boxes. That’s the sculpture where Warhol took some paint and some cheap wood and made a few Brillo Boxes that look exactly like Brillo boxes. That’s to say, if you saw Warhol’s Brillo Boxes on the ground outside of a deli in midtown you would simply think that a delivery person was moving Brillo boxes into the store. There is nothing in the Brillo Boxes to suggest anything but Brillo boxes.

Danto was struck and confused by Brillo Boxes. Over time, he worked out a full-blown theory to deal with them. The theory boils down to this: There is no way, visually, to know that Brillo Boxes is a work of art. So, the Brillo Boxes mark the moment when art became philosophy. You cannot look at the Brillo Boxes without asking the question, “What makes this art?”

When art became philosophical in the late spring of 1964, it crossed an invisible line. With the Brillo Boxes, there is no clear demarcation between art and reality. If the Brillo Boxes can look just like Brillo boxes, and can still be art, then anything can be art. There is nothing inherent, nothing internal or necessary that makes something a work of art. Danto found this thought depressing at first. Art isn’t special anymore if it can be anything.

Later, Danto came to see the end of art as a great liberation. He began to think of that day in 1964 as the day “when perfect artistic freedom had become real.” The fact that art had ended meant that any artist could be “an abstractionist, a realist, an allegorist, a metaphysical painter, a surrealist, a landscapist, or a painter of still lifes or nudes. You could be a decorative artist, a literary artist, an anecdotalist, a religious painter, a pornographer. Everything was permitted, since nothing any longer was historically mandated.” Danto took to calling this new and permanent era after the end of art the “Post-Historical Period of Art.” It made him very happy.

I’m not sure the artists of the Post-Historical Period of Art are as happy about the end of art as Arthur Danto. Most of the artists I’ve known feel great anxiety facing the decision to make art with the knowledge that they can do and be anything. This kind of freedom can be immobilizing. I’m not sure that many artists fully grasp the link between the Hegelian moment when art became philosophical and the wide-open moment when art can be anything. Can’t we simply say that art became fragmented and diverse just as many other things became fragmented and diverse in the course of Modernity? Do we need to identify some Hegelian culmination of history in a moment of philosophical self-understanding in order to account for the fact that there are no firm boundaries between art and non-art anymore? Probably we don’t.

But Arthur Danto was writing and thinking himself out of a problem. He was having trouble accepting the art world as he found it. It might be said that he was having trouble accepting the world as he found it. The Brillo Boxes were Danto’s conversion moment. Danto wanted to be changed, to be transformed into a man who could see and understand the modern world around him. Danto’s eyes were open, but he felt he could not see. He needed to convert himself in order to live.

There is a phrase that appears and reappears in the essays of Arthur Danto. That phrase is “the miraculousness of the commonplace.” Danto wanted to feel that miracle. But he realized that he wasn’t going to feel it by pretending that we are still surrounded by objects of high aesthetic beauty. The modern world doesn’t make great cathedrals, stone temples, or paintings to be worshipped in chapels and shrines. The modern world makes cheap shit out of plastic. But this was not the end of the story. Warhol’s paintings of Coca-Cola bottles convinced Danto that the world of plastic and junk could be redeemed. Danto used this kind of language without apology. He said that Pop art redeemed the world. He called Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans sacraments. Danto had been converted. He had good news to tell the rest of us.

I have the most vivid recollection of standing at an intersection in some American city, waiting to be picked up. There were used-car lots on two corners, with swags of plastic pennants fluttering in the breeze and brash signs proclaiming unbeatable deals, crazy prices, insane bargains. There was a huge self-service gas station on a third corner, and a supermarket on the fourth, with signs in the window announcing sales of Del Monte, Cheerios, Land O Lakes butter, Long Island ducklings, Velveeta, Sealtest, Chicken of the Sea, … Heavy trucks roared past, with logos on their sides. Lights were flashing. The sound of raucous music flashed out of the windows of automobiles. I was educated to hate all this. I would have found it intolerably crass and tacky when I was growing up an aesthete. As late as my own times, beauty was, in the words of George Santayana, “a living presence, or an aching absence, day and night.” I think it still is that for someone like Clement Greenberg or Hilton Kramer. But I thought, Good heavens. This is just remarkable!

How many times have any of us had the peace and acceptance to be able to look around us, confront the crap of daily life and say, “Good heavens. This is just remarkable!” Before you raise your valid objections, let Danto have his moment. He achieved something there, as a man, as a human being on earth trying to live in a world not chosen by him, but given. Thrown into a world of Velveeta and Chicken of the Sea, Danto found joy. Did he find too much joy? Did he surrender his critical edge in order to be amazed by Velveeta and Cheerios? That will always be the question with Danto.

But it is hard to fault him, since Danto’s conversion made him into such a profoundly generous man. He had no bone to pick with art or artists anymore, not after he was redeemed by Pop. Writing art criticism for the Nation, Danto developed an almost uncanny ability to look at works of art on their own terms. He was sensitive to what the art was telling him, to what each work wanted to be. He was in dialogue with every work of art he ever saw. That’s not to say he liked it all. But he always tried to let the work speak.

You might think, for example, that Danto would have had trouble with the art of Jenny Holzer. Holzer is best known for her electronic displays of short, often amusing and ironic sentences. A typical Holzer sentence is, “Abuse of Power Comes as No Surprise.” It would be fair to say that much of Holzer’s art is openly critical of the consumer society that Danto was trying to make his peace with. Here, however, is what Danto had to say about two Holzer exhibits in 1990. “I find both exhibitions extraordinary and extraordinarily powerful, and though I am uncertain whether the bitter voices at the DIA or the platitudes at the Guggenheim have made me a better person, they have transformed me into an unqualified enthusiast for this odd artist.”

I love the fact that Danto takes his shots here. He is “uncertain” whether he has been made a better person. In some ways, he doesn’t like Holzer. We wouldn’t expect him to. But he goes further. He forces himself into the work. He allows himself to be transformed. He wants to be transformed. By the end of the essay, Danto has said some incredibly penetrating and sensitive things about Holzer’s work. He notices that Holzer resembles William Blake in taking language to be a physical thing, language as something you can see, and sometimes touch. The fact that Holzer put words onto surfaces made her, in Danto’s eyes, a special kind of visual artist. Danto saw Holzer as an artist who “exploits the tensions and sympathies between word and nonverbal medium.” In the end, Danto realizes that Holzer’s work operates on two different levels of aesthetic illusion. “Art,” Danto says, “was thought to be an illusion—fooling the senses. … Here, just because speech is the medium of truth, there is another order of illusion: we falsely believe the words are addressed to us, and that, with most words, they are asserted by the speaker and believed by her to be true. The work is consistently deeper than the words.”

The collected essays of Arthur Danto are a sustained exercise in the kind of critical generosity he extended to Jenny Holzer. He always saw something fresh, startling, transformative. Every time. In talking about art, Danto was able to teach, a little bit, about how to live. I don’t think anyone writing about art today can ignore what Danto achieved. He taught us how to be intelligent participants in the world as we find it. For those of us who still want to resist aspects of the world as we find it (politically, aesthetically, ethically), it has got to be done in Danto’s spirit, with the tools he left behind. Is that a way of saying you have to learn to love the world, even if, especially if, you want to change it?

I will say one last thing. In my personal encounters with Arthur Danto, the redemption was for real. He had found something beautiful. You could see the twinkle sometimes in Danto’s eyes. He was having fun loving the world. He was a man of grace. Strange grace manufactured through an unholy concoction of Hegel and Andy Warhol. But grace nonetheless. +
kelley

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion