Bill Clinton: we need "agency" to verify internet "truth"

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Bill Clinton: we need "agency" to verify internet "truth"

Postby Nordic » Sat May 14, 2011 7:21 pm

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/54951.html

Unreal. Hey, Bill, how about we talk about having agencies to combat pure thievery in our banks, to prosecute our war criminals, or to address corporate "personhood"? Oh wait, that doesn't affect your personal fortune or ego, but by golly we need something to deal with all that bad info on the internet! After all, it might be embarrassing if the truth were to come out.

Bill Clinton doesn’t like all the misinformation and rumors floating on the Internet. And he thinks the United Nations or the U.S. government should create an agency to do something about it.

“It would be a legitimate thing to do,” Clinton said in an interview airing Friday on CNBC.

The agency, Clinton said, would “have to be totally transparent about where the money came from” and would have to be “independent” because “if it’s a government agency in a traditional sense, it would have no credibility whatever, particularly with a lot of the people who are most active on the internet.”

“Let’s say the U.S. did it, it would have to be an independent federal agency that no president could countermand or anything else because people wouldn’t think you were just censoring the news and giving a different falsehood out,” Clinton said.

“That is, it would be like, I don’t know, National Public Radio - :roll: - or BBC or something like that, except it would have to be really independent and they would not express opinions, and their mandate would be narrowly confined to identifying relevant factual errors” he said. “And also, they would also have to have citations so that they could be checked in case they made a mistake. Somebody needs to be doing it, and maybe it’s a worthy expenditure of taxpayer money.”

Interviewed alongside the CEO of a cybersecurity company, Clinton also said he did not expect lasting impact from the documents disclosed by WikiLeaks showing employees of the State Department — run by his wife, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton — assessing world leaders.

“I don’t believe there’s any long-lasting impact on our relationships. People know that we didn’t leak this on purpose. People know that the secretary of state and her top team, they had nothing to do with this,” Clinton said. The diplomats whose cables were made public “were just giving their impressions” of what they saw on the ground in countries around the world.

At the same time, though, political figures in other countries “will be careful what they say to America’s representatives around the world for a while because they’ll have bad memories of the, you know, the leaked memo,” he said.

Stressing the dangers of putting some information online, Clinton said that he and his wife keep hard copies of their living wills that can’t be tampered with.

“It’s not like it’s that big or important, but it’s important to me, whatever I have to give to my family and whatever else I want to support,” he said. “I’d be appalled to think somebody could fool with it.”

He added: “I do have a physical copy in one place, and I think that’s important. So I think, you know, one of the things we may have to think about is whether our backstops and a lot of things are old-fashioned. Maybe snail mail, maybe more couriers.”

Why the hell is he talking about his will? Basically he's saying he doesn't like what he sees on the internet because the PTB can't "spin" it, then he starts talking about his will getting hacked? WTF.

And to think I used to actually like this guy.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Bill Clinton: we need "agency" to verify internet "truth

Postby 8bitagent » Sun May 15, 2011 7:46 am

I always thought Slick Willy was a slimeball, and I mean that from a very anti Republican stance. Beyond Mena, the "clinton body count", I'd like to ask Clinton why he and Sandy Berger stood down every CIA mission to kill bin Laden, why they forced the FBI from going after terror financiers, why the FBI blamed Iran for the 1996 Khobar Bombing, why Clinton and his boys protected and released al Qaeda co-chiefs Mohammed Jamal Khalifa and Ali Mohamed, why the Pentagon via MPRI was essentially financing bin Laden networks in the Balkans, what's up with Caty Mahoney's death in a DC suburb star bucks,
what's up with massive wallstreet deregulation, and whats up with Sandy Berger stuffing pre 9/11 intelligence documents down his pants and destroying them?
Last edited by 8bitagent on Sun May 15, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nordic » Sun May 15, 2011 12:43 pm

careful. you're about to be reported to "the agency".
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby 82_28 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:07 pm

We should nominate RI to be the backbone of this new "truth" effort. Nah, nevermind. But I sure would love to point out what I think is bullshit from a fortean standpoint to a larger audience along with all my RI buddies. Info dispersal sure does hit a brick wall when you go the routes we do and try and share with others. But, over the years I have a number of friends who have "come around" and they are now lurkers here. I get texts and emails and stuff, not all the time, but fairly frequently, asking me what I think about something brought up on RI or "this looks like it could be an interesting week on RI" (fully in lurk mode and afraid to speak up for themselves).

Truth? Take for example this site, myself and PicklePizza are working on. The more time that has passed, I'm realizing there has never been any truth. I have long known that there was always propaganda, grifters, liars, racists, sexists, misogynists in the "msm". But, I'll tell you what. When it comes to the garden variety news as reported by an ordinary big city newspaper, truth is to be found very infrequently. As far as I am concerned there was never a "golden age" of journalism. Not in the local papers. There also undoubtedly, which I already knew, never was a "liberal media". But, I just bet that a site like ours or RI or any number of other kindred spirits would be labeled "untruthful", when in fact all we are doing is regurgitating shit we read or saw.

Exactly put above, Clinton et al do not like that they no longer have control over the spin. That's my opinion. The "truth" is right there in the archives we drill down in. And the fact is, there never has been any "truth" to speak of, just good people not buying the shit but with no form of relating it to largish audiences.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 8bitagent » Sun May 15, 2011 5:37 pm

82_28 wrote: When it comes to the garden variety news as reported by an ordinary big city newspaper, truth is to be found very infrequently. As far as I am concerned there was never a "golden age" of journalism.

Yet, to "prove" our point, it's often all we have to go on...and I find often nuggets of truth do come out. Though one has to wonder if some of those are misdirection/limited hangouts.

But news of CIA-drugs, Dyncorp and the UN involved in pedo rings, Wachovia and drug cartels, al Qaeda leader dining at Pentagon right after 9/11...heck, all the news of many FBI agents obstructed before 9/11...thats all mainstream news(just didnt make the Daily Show/SNL Weekend update level of water cooler talk)
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby redsock » Sun May 15, 2011 6:42 pm

82_28 wrote:When it comes to the garden variety news as reported by an ordinary big city newspaper, truth is to be found very infrequently.

Sports scores may be about it.
redsock

Postby JackRiddler » Sun May 15, 2011 7:51 pm

82_28 wrote:We should nominate RI to be the backbone of this new "truth" effort.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. We should put in a proposal.

At least as he describes it, this proposed Department of Corrections and Scolding would be a fart in a blizzard. An old fart, like him. Or the State Department's conspiracies page, which I can't even find via Google because it's buried under at least two pages of articles making fun of it. I think they should just give a badge and a presidential sash to Snopes.com, or deputize the Pew Center for Bipartisan and Objective Kauderwelsch.

Now if you want the REAL latest threat to Internet freedom, here you go (and check out this totally unbiased coverage from Broadcasting Cable magazine).

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/468207-New_Bill_Would_Criminalize_Illegal_TV_Show_Streaming.php

New Bill Would Criminalize Illegal TV Show Streaming

Currently, felony status only applies to uploads and downloads

By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 5/12/2011 5:48:14 PM

A bipartisan trio of Senators Thursday introduced a bill that would make illegally streaming TV shows or movies a felony.

The bill (S. 978) was introduced by Senators Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), John Cornyn (R-Texas), and Christopher Coons (D-Del.), and came the same day that Sen. Patrick Leahy (D- Vt.) re-introduced a bipartisan bill to give the government more tools to shut down Web sites that traffic in stolen intellectual property, including TV shows and movies.

It is already a felony to download or upload that content, so the bill would just extend that to streaming a recommendation made by White House Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator Victoria Espinel, The Copyright Alliance pointed out in praising the move.

In March, the Obama administration recommended that Congress clarify that streaming illegal content, in addition to downloading it, can be a felony.

Espinel pointed out at that time that, under existing law, it is unclear that streaming copyrighted work can be subject to a felony penalties because such penalties are "predicated on the defendant either illegally reproducing or distributing the copyrighted work." While, intuitively, streaming would seem to pretty clearly be distribution, there has been some legal question about that designation."

Klobuchar and company are looking to clear up that point.

The same groups, unions, studios, independent producers, who were praising the Leahy bill lined up to salute the Klobuchar legislation.

"While illegal downloading of our members' creative works remains the best known method of Internet theft, illegal Internet streaming has actually become the preferred viewing and listening experience," said a AFTRA, SAG and others in a joint statement." Unfortunately, the law has not kept pace with these new consumer habits. While illegal downloading and distribution is a felony, the illegal, willful, and commercial streaming of films, TV programs, and music remains only a misdemeanor. [W]e applaud [the] Senators for their leadership in today introducing legislation to remove unwarranted obstacles to the prosecution of websites that willfully and illegally stream valuable copyrighted works for commercial advantage or private financial gain."

"The illegal streaming of copyrighted content is a scourge on the independent film and television community, particularly the small and medium-sized businesses without the resources to effectively enforce their intellectual property rights," said Jean Prewitt, president of the Independent Film & Television Alliance. "We strongly believe government enforcement and consequences are the only effective remedies for these types of illegal activities. We highly commend Senators Klobuchar and Cornyn for this significant legislative proposal to ensure illegal streaming is treated as seriously under the law as is illegal downloading."

The Obama administration has made protection, security and privacy of online content a priority given its push for universal broadband as a critical infrastructure component of the country's future.

First they came for the downloaders, but I said nothing, because I was still collecting LPs.
Then they came for the streamers, because they hadn't figured out that streaming is downloading.
Then they came for the copy-pasters, and -- oh shit, I'm outta here!

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Sun May 15, 2011 7:57 pm

redsock wrote:
82_28 wrote:When it comes to the garden variety news as reported by an ordinary big city newspaper, truth is to be found very infrequently.

Sports scores may be about it.

And if they get it wrong, a prompt correction follows.

And if J-Roll wants to talk smack about the Mets (I only wish the Mets were smackworthy anymore), Beltran's lame riposte will be given immediate and equivalent coverage.

We could go on... like with how sports is the only thing approaching a meritocracy in this capitalist loony bin. But I digress.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby 8bitagent » Sun May 15, 2011 8:14 pm

JackRiddler wrote:
82_28 wrote:We should nominate RI to be the backbone of this new "truth" effort.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. We should put in a proposal.

At least as he describes it, this proposed Department of Corrections and Scolding would be a fart in a blizzard. An old fart, like him. Or the State Department's conspiracies page, which I can't even find via Google because it's buried under at least two pages of articles making fun of it. I think they should just give a badge and a presidential sash to Snopes.com, or deputize the Pew Center for Bipartisan and Objective Kauderwelsch.

Now if you want the REAL latest threat to Internet freedom, here you go (and check out this totally unbiased coverage from Broadcasting Cable magazine).

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/468207-New_Bill_Would_Criminalize_Illegal_TV_Show_Streaming.php

New Bill Would Criminalize Illegal TV Show Streaming

Currently, felony status only applies to uploads and downloads

By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 5/12/2011 5:48:14 PM

A bipartisan trio of Senators Thursday introduced a bill that would make illegally streaming TV shows or movies a felony.

The bill (S. 978) was introduced by Senators Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), John Cornyn (R-Texas), and Christopher Coons (D-Del.), and came the same day that Sen. Patrick Leahy (D- Vt.) re-introduced a bipartisan bill to give the government more tools to shut down Web sites that traffic in stolen intellectual property, including TV shows and movies.

It is already a felony to download or upload that content, so the bill would just extend that to streaming a recommendation made by White House Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator Victoria Espinel, The Copyright Alliance pointed out in praising the move.

In March, the Obama administration recommended that Congress clarify that streaming illegal content, in addition to downloading it, can be a felony.

Espinel pointed out at that time that, under existing law, it is unclear that streaming copyrighted work can be subject to a felony penalties because such penalties are "predicated on the defendant either illegally reproducing or distributing the copyrighted work." While, intuitively, streaming would seem to pretty clearly be distribution, there has been some legal question about that designation."

Klobuchar and company are looking to clear up that point.

The same groups, unions, studios, independent producers, who were praising the Leahy bill lined up to salute the Klobuchar legislation.

"While illegal downloading of our members' creative works remains the best known method of Internet theft, illegal Internet streaming has actually become the preferred viewing and listening experience," said a AFTRA, SAG and others in a joint statement." Unfortunately, the law has not kept pace with these new consumer habits. While illegal downloading and distribution is a felony, the illegal, willful, and commercial streaming of films, TV programs, and music remains only a misdemeanor. [W]e applaud [the] Senators for their leadership in today introducing legislation to remove unwarranted obstacles to the prosecution of websites that willfully and illegally stream valuable copyrighted works for commercial advantage or private financial gain."

"The illegal streaming of copyrighted content is a scourge on the independent film and television community, particularly the small and medium-sized businesses without the resources to effectively enforce their intellectual property rights," said Jean Prewitt, president of the Independent Film & Television Alliance. "We strongly believe government enforcement and consequences are the only effective remedies for these types of illegal activities. We highly commend Senators Klobuchar and Cornyn for this significant legislative proposal to ensure illegal streaming is treated as seriously under the law as is illegal downloading."

The Obama administration has made protection, security and privacy of online content a priority given its push for universal broadband as a critical infrastructure component of the country's future.

First they came for the downloaders, but I said nothing, because I was still collecting LPs.
Then they came for the streamers, because they hadn't figured out that streaming is downloading.
Then they came for the copy-pasters, and -- oh shit, I'm outta here!

Yet, the liberal youth put all their hate on Republican politicians. Since the 1980's, it's largely been Democrat politicians trying to ban explicit music, ban violent video games, and playing Big Nanny. Just like what's going on in San Francisco. I think there was an article on how Obama was set to expand the Patriot act to go after downloaders and broaden the definitions of cyber threats.
Meanwhile, the Republicans continue to try and kill PBS, take away female reproductive rights, etc. The average American has very little friends in Washington
8bitagent

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Mon May 16, 2011 1:06 am

http://blog.dailycal.org/news/2010/03/16/uc-berkeley-and-u-s-state-department-develop-opinion-space/

Project Camelot lives. Academia as extension of military social control operations.

UC Berkeley and U.S State Department Develop “Opinion Space”
By Claire Perlman March 16, 2010 | 8:18 pm

Posted in: Research and Ideas, Uncategorized

A collaboration between the Berkeley Center for New Media (BCNM) and the U.S. Department of State has yielded the newest public opinion mapping tool—Opinion Space—which officially opened Monday morning. The project aims to open new channels of communication between ordinary citizens and lawmakers.

“Opinion Space is a new tool that uses data visualization and statistical analysis to give all participants an equal opportunity to have their opinions heard and to vote on the ideas of others,” according to the U.S. Department of State Web site.

Upon answering a set of questions, participants, based on their opinion, are placed on an interactive map – they are grouped not by geography or any other predetermined categories, but rather by opinion alone, according to the Web site. Users can then rate and comment on other participants’ opinions.

The goal of the program is to gather public opinion in a manner free from the political polarization that is often present in public opinion polls. The designers accomplished this by making the site attractive to people of all ideologies and ensuring that moderates—whose opinions are often drowned out by extremists—are heard, according to Web site.

The BCNM worked with several other departments, including the UC Berkeley College of Engineering and the School of Information, to create Opinion Space. The BCNM showed it to the Department of State shortly after Obama took office, and they were very interested, said Ken Goldberg, director of BCNM and a professor in the College of Engineering and of New Media.

The State Department intends to use Opinion Space to conduct public opinion studies on foreign policy issues.
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Mon May 16, 2011 1:08 am

'Tech Nation' show on National Propaganda Radio is covering this story as I type this Sunday night.
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby fruhmenschen » Mon May 16, 2011 1:38 am

for an active barometer on how evil Clinton is see

http://www.fbicover-up.com/press/index.htm
fruhmenschen

Return to General Discussion