The Deep Web

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Deep Web

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:50 pm

Damn, I bumped an old thread in the Data Dump, assuming it was in General Discussion: (Who needs the Intel Trojan Horse Google? by The Omega Man, November 5, 2006). Not sure if threads get that much widespread notice in that subforum, and I think my language might be too casual for the Data Dump.

Has anyone else noticed a lot of buzz around the internet lately about "the deep web"? Old news for many, I'm sure, but the recent coverage / technological developments on this go-round have me intrigued.

I know plenty of posters here do a ton of independent research for various reasons, but is anyone a power tor user and can attest to its usefulness as a resource tool? Is there any merit to utilization of "the deep web" as a means of routing out "top secret government and corporate documents" as reddit user SupraTopSekret says? Most of the recent chatter sounds like hyperbole, fearmongering, and protectionism for pedophiles to continue doing their dirty work.

I have to say that the part about bitcoin actually functioning as an operable currency is very interesting.
Last edited by Luther Blissett on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Deep Web

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:53 pm

Well, I would imagine that this "deep web" could easily be emulated as being the "deep web" if push came to shove.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:56 pm

The bitcoin thing to me is also intriguing, because it precisely makes no sense. But that's the story of my life. Thus I am still intrigued by it.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:13 pm

82_28 wrote:Well, I would imagine that this "deep web" could easily be emulated as being the "deep web" if push came to shove.

I just picture the whole thing as so lawless and filled with anti-aesthetic Lokis that bad information perpetuates possibly even more readily. Though I'm not sure if I'm following what you're saying. Some kind of manipulation by the powers that be of a very little-used, little-known, but vast swath of the internet?
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:18 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:
82_28 wrote:Well, I would imagine that this "deep web" could easily be emulated as being the "deep web" if push came to shove.

I just picture the whole thing as so lawless and filled with anti-aesthetic Lokis that bad information perpetuates possibly even more readily. Though I'm not sure if I'm following what you're saying. Some kind of manipulation by the powers that be of a very little-used, little-known, but vast swath of the internet?

No, it could just all be simulacra. Simulated events, people, acts etc. It would be easy to do. Look how people took that abortion center Onion article SLAD posted. A deep, undergirding simulation.

The simulacrum has long been of interest to philosophers. In his Sophist, Plato speaks of two kinds of image-making. The first is a faithful reproduction, attempted to copy precisely the original. The second is distorted intentionally in order to make the copy appear correct to viewers. He gives an example of Greek statuary, which was crafted larger on top than on bottom so that viewers from the ground would see it correctly. If they could view it in scale, they would realize it was malformed. This example from visual arts serves as a metaphor for philosophical arts and the tendency of some philosophers to distort truth in such a way that it appeared accurate unless viewed from the proper angle.[5] Nietzsche addresses the concept of simulacrum (but does not use the term) in The Twilight of the Idols, suggesting that most philosophers, by ignoring the reliable input of their senses and resorting to the constructs of language and reason, arrive at a distorted copy of reality.[6] Modern French social theorist Jean Baudrillard argues that a simulacrum is not a copy of the real, but becomes truth in its own right: the hyperreal. Where Plato saw two steps of reproduction — faithful and intentionally distorted (simulacrum) — Baudrillard sees four: (1) basic reflection of reality, (2) perversion of reality; (3) pretence of reality (where there is no model); and (4) simulacrum, which “bears no relation to any reality whatsoever.” Baudrillard uses the concept of god as an example of simulacrum.[7] In Baudrillard’s concept, like Nietzsche’s, simulacra are perceived as negative, but another modern philosopher who addressed the topic, Gilles Deleuze, takes a different view, seeing simulacra as the avenue by which accepted ideals or “privileged position” could be “challenged and overturned.”[8] Deleuze defines simulacra as "those systems in which different relates to different by means of difference itself. What is essential is that we find in these systems no prior identity, no internal resemblance."[9]

The work of Philip K. Dick

The philosophically oriented American science fiction writer Philip K. Dick returned obsessively to the theme of simulacra both in the form of artificial environments, events, artifacts, organisms and even worlds. Examples include the artificial humans and animals in his Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, "The Electric Ant" and We Can Build You, the protagonist of "The Electric Ant" and, more realistically, the fake antiques present in his The Man in the High Castle (which also deals with a counterfeit world, of sorts). The pertinently entitled The Simulacra is about a fraudulent government led by a presidential simulacrum (more specifically, an android).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulacrum

As we become more app and augmented reality oriented, as such, anything can become believable. That's how DEEP, the "deep web" is. Is what I was saying. . .
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:27 pm

For instance, I'm sure we're all getting there on our time as "smart phones" become all the rage and have every manner of linking up with each other, but I have an app called Layar. Layar essentially does what you would think it would do. It overlays what you want to know according to the camera on your phone and your GPS coordinates.

Now take it a step further. GoogleSky and Sattelite AR can now tell you what is exactly overhead. To use a "cheeky" term, a UFO could show up on your device, even though it never existed, but then that would become the news. How many people noticed it, freaked out etc. That would be the news, all out of a simulation and thus added to the great repository of Internet data. There for all of time. Exponentiating. Creating even a deeper web! A new star could even show up or planet and perhaps it wouldn't be noticed as much as a UFO, but spurious data can easily, EASILY be inserted into the data stream of modern life circa 2011.
82_28

Postby hanshan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:56 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:Damn, I bumped an old thread in the Data Dump, assuming it was in General Discussion: (Who needs the Intel Trojan Horse Google? by The Omega Man, November 5, 2006). Not sure if threads get that much widespread notice in that subforum, and I think my language might be too casual for the Data Dump.

Has anyone else noticed a lot of buzz around the internet lately about "the deep web"? Old news for many, I'm sure, but the recent coverage / technological developments on this go-round have me intrigued.

I know plenty of posters here do a ton of independent research for various reasons, but is anyone a power tor user and can attest to its usefulness as a resource tool? Is there any merit to utilization of "the deep web" as a means of routing out "top secret government and corporate documents" as reddit user SupraTopSekret says? Most of the recent chatter sounds like hyperbole, fearmongering, and protectionism for pedophiles to continue doing their dirty work.

I have to say that the part about bitcoin actually functioning as an operable currency is very interesting.

This isn't exactly what you're referencing; interesting nonetheless:

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/InvisibleWeb.html

usefulness as a resource tool?

how deep you lookin' to go?

hanshan

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:01 pm

hanshan wrote:...

Luther Blissett wrote:Damn, I bumped an old thread in the Data Dump, assuming it was in General Discussion: (Who needs the Intel Trojan Horse Google? by The Omega Man, November 5, 2006). Not sure if threads get that much widespread notice in that subforum, and I think my language might be too casual for the Data Dump.

No I think that is definitely what I'm talking about. Or at least partially - they are just referencing Infomine and ipl2 as academic tools to access the deep web, as opposed to tor or deepnet.
Luther Blissett

Postby hanshan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:
hanshan wrote:...

No I think that is definitely what I'm talking about. Or at least partially - they are just referencing Infomine and ipl2 as academic tools to access the deep web, as opposed to tor or deepnet.

unfortunately, can't speak to deepweb/tor/deepnet (although would like to)
as I've been perforce blocked out ...at some indefinable point will access & get back to you...

hanshan

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:22 pm

Talk about deep? I am currently trying to meta-reference the murder of Kerry May-Hardy through the kludgy Seattle Times archive site. I have found some strange hits as to activity by possible right-wing operatives attacking Seattle Central Community College during class and have previously uncovered that Ted Bundy was a likely right-wing operative before, during and after he began his killings. But am having no luck tying it all together. This has sucked me in big time. I just cannot locate a story for May-Hardy, but CAN locate weird goings on on Capitol Hill, where she was abducted from and possible activity that Bundy could have been involved in. Ugh!!!

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/123113528.html
82_28

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:44 pm

82_28 wrote:Talk about deep? I am currently trying to meta-reference the murder of Kerry May-Hardy through the kludgy Seattle Times archive site. I have found some strange hits as to activity by possible right-wing operatives attacking Seattle Central Community College during class and have previously uncovered that Ted Bundy was a likely right-wing operative before, during and after he began his killings. But am having no luck tying it all together. This has sucked me in big time. I just cannot locate a story for May-Hardy, but CAN locate weird goings on on Capitol Hill, where she was abducted from and possible activity that Bundy could have been involved in. Ugh!!!

Keep plugging away at it man, whenever I get wrapped up in that kind of investigation, it's almost always personal to me. It's better to be impartial.

Hey man, get an external harddrive, set up a vpn, proxy through that, and run tor. Don't divulge any personal information, or perform any transactions. Start searching onions for info on Kerry May-Hardy and see what you find (keep in mind I have no idea how to do any of this).
Luther Blissett

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:20 pm

(keep in mind I have no idea how to do any of this)

LOL.

Anyways, it's totally a tracking down of information thing for me. Documenting it so somebody else can find it. History should not be forgotten. Also, it should not be obsessed on. It's not personal so to speak. But the dispersal of "news" and information is. Frankly, I do not like what has been done to us and hopefully we can kind of resurrect some of not just the stories, but the mood, tenor, of the days past by doing what we're doing at CH. I am currently trying to get the pulse on HOW stories were reported per "era" and trying to tie it into a "grand unified theory" of at least the 20th century. It's tough. It's akin to finding the gospel of Q within the accepted screeds pf our recent past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_source
82_28

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:38 pm

82_28 wrote:Talk about deep? I am currently trying to meta-reference the murder of Kerry May-Hardy through the kludgy Seattle Times archive site. I have found some strange hits as to activity by possible right-wing operatives attacking Seattle Central Community College during class and have previously uncovered that Ted Bundy was a likely right-wing operative before, during and after he began his killings. But am having no luck tying it all together. This has sucked me in big time. I just cannot locate a story for May-Hardy, but CAN locate weird goings on on Capitol Hill, where she was abducted from and possible activity that Bundy could have been involved in. Ugh!!!

You're like our version of Lisbeth Salander, I dig it.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby stefano » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:51 am

The Deep Web properly defined is everything online that hasn't been indexed by search engines, so a lot of pdfs (although Google is trying to convert them all to readable text using captcha), and academic journals. I don't think it's easy to access the remaining Deep Web for free. As for .onion sites, you're right about it becoming more visible on the net generally; I think I first checked out all of that a few weeks ago. And frankly couldn't find anything of interest. There are a few libraries and discussion boards but nothing you can't find on clearnet and it's about twenty times slower. It does have use as a tool (as do Freenet and IP2) if you want to hide a discussion from law enforcement, then you create a .onion and send the link to your collaborators by other means. It's worth noting that some (including Kevin Flaherty) think that Tor is a honeypot, which presumably means that the .onion hosting companies would be too. I don't think it is; I haven't been able to find a single instance of a Tor user being arrested. Just the exit nodes have been seized in Germany. And of course it's impossible to browse around without links, and when I tried to follow every link on every page starting with the Hidden Wiki I found a finite and quite small number of pages.

Bitcoin sounds interesting, but also sounds like a real pain in the arse unless you really don't want governments to know about your transactions.
stefano

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:14 pm

stefano wrote:The Deep Web properly defined is everything online that hasn't been indexed by search engines, so a lot of pdfs (although Google is trying to convert them all to readable text using captcha), and academic journals. I don't think it's easy to access the remaining Deep Web for free. As for .onion sites, you're right about it becoming more visible on the net generally; I think I first checked out all of that a few weeks ago. And frankly couldn't find anything of interest. There are a few libraries and discussion boards but nothing you can't find on clearnet and it's about twenty times slower. It does have use as a tool (as do Freenet and IP2) if you want to hide a discussion from law enforcement, then you create a .onion and send the link to your collaborators by other means. It's worth noting that some (including Kevin Flaherty) think that Tor is a honeypot, which presumably means that the .onion hosting companies would be too. I don't think it is; I haven't been able to find a single instance of a Tor user being arrested. Just the exit nodes have been seized in Germany. And of course it's impossible to browse around without links, and when I tried to follow every link on every page starting with the Hidden Wiki I found a finite and quite small number of pages.

Bitcoin sounds interesting, but also sounds like a real pain in the arse unless you really don't want governments to know about your transactions.

I thought I read that the .onion domains are "hosted" dynamically when they are created - essentially free? I suppose on the user's own machines, acting as servers? That's why the addresses are all encoded keys, not real language.

Yeah I don't know how you would get access to documents without knowing beforehand where you were headed.

As far as tor being a honeypot (entirely possible), where you referencing this: http://cryptogon.com/?p=15762 ?
Luther Blissett

Next

Return to General Discussion