Huge explosion in Oslo

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Huge explosion in Oslo

Postby jam.fuse » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:06 am

From comment section of previous link.

Alan said...

One of the more striking tropes in 1491 is that whenever the Europeans had the Indians on the ropes, the Europeans happily slaughtered every man, woman, and child they could get their hands on, whereas the Indians didn’t take similar opportunities.

When reading the book, I couldn’t figure it out. Why didn’t the Indians commit genocide? Was it really a European invention? If so, why? For all my liberalarts education, I couldn’t really believe it could be whiteness… could it?

I think you’ve found a better answer.

3:05 PM

mistah charley, ph.d. said...

defense attorney IOZ, i believe your argument should prevail; the depraved murderer should be acquitted. as has been so often said, compared to what?

-- and after acquittal, released to a spontaneously self-organized crowd of relatives of the victims

3:05 PM

Anonymous said...

I agree so long as we define the State as serving around 200 satanists who are constantly checking the bottoms of their shoes for debris.

(So then . . . it would be Norway doing a maximum of 14 years?)

3:08 PM
'I beat the Devil with a shovel so he dropped me another level' -- Redman
jam.fuse

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Peachtree Pam » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:37 am

vg.no roundup

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/oslo ... d=10097251

Breivik wanted to flee in a stolen plane.

Breivik told police he did not manage to prepare properly for the attack and didn't have enough time to prepare as the all the work took longer than he had calculated.

He also told the police he had planned originally to steal a plane from Gardermoen and flee in it after he was finished with the massacre operation.

Mr Lippestad, his lawyer, did not want to comment on the plan.

"In general, I can say that Breivik in many aspects has a complete other understanding of reality than is usual", said Lippestad.

"...police are following up with some questions. The most important is to find out whether or not he had helpers. Many of the questions are technical and deal with how he put the bomb together. The police want to know if he had the required skill so that he could do this alone," said Lippestad.

Reporter: well, does he?

"I don't know, but he answers in great detail about how things went forward", says Lippestad.

Reporter: - Has it been determined what he was drugged with under the terror action and mass murder?

"Results aren't clear, but according to what he has said, then we are talking of a cocktail of medications, says the lawyer.

....background.......

"He won't talk about the other cells and is sticking to his demands listed earlier. He wants new government, not only in Norway but throughout all of Europe. In his world he has started a revolution, and he expects that there will soon be a war in Europe," says Lippestad.

Reporter: What does he ask you or the police about?

He is interested in how the world has reacted to what he did. He expects the establishment will judge him harshly but he also thinks he has many followers, says the lawyer.

"Breivik is also very concerned about how his manifesto is dissimulated. He wants to get his message out. He also wishes that I help him out [with spreading it around]."

Reporter: How did you react to that?

I made it extremely clear that I would not spread his message or his ideas. He understands completely and agrees with this, says Lippestad.

Reporter: Does he ask about his family?

"No. But under questioning he relates that he has always had a very good relationship with them.No one in the family has contacted me", says Lippestad.

Reporter: How are your conversations with Breivik?

"This week I met him twice in the jail. We speak greit together. My job is to explain what his rights are and that he gets the things he has need of", says Lippestad.

He speaks of a client who has an extraordinary obsession with the way he looks. He has had some clothes sent to himself and he is always concerned that he look nice, which he takes time to do, says Lippestad.

Breivik has also said that he is bored in his cell and that he was not prepared for how boring and lonely it would be.

"He has begun to read a book about Norway's history, or he exercises a little. He has asked for a (datamaskin - computer?). He wants to watch some TV-series", says Lippestad

Reporter: How far has he come with his speech?

"He has not started yet, but he says he wants to write a speech to defend himself" , sier Lippestad.

Reporter: Do you find anything at all that indicates that it has begun to dawn on him what he has done?

"No".

Reporter: Does he ask about how things are going with the victims from Utøya?

"No. He just wants to know how many he had the opportunity to kill. Nothing more".

Questioning of Brevik continues next week.
Peachtree Pam

Postby Nordic » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Haven't been on this rather sickening and disgusting thread for a while, so this may have already been posted, but I just saw this over at alethonews:

http://alethonews.wordpress.com/2011/08 ... ays-norway’s-‘hamas-youth’-got-what-was-coming-to-them/

Meet Debbie Schlussel, who says Norway’s ‘HAMAS Youth’ got what was coming to them

By Paul Mutter | Mondoweiss | August 5, 2011

One of Pamela Geller’s cohorts, Debbie Schlussel, has explicitly stated that those killed at Utoya got what was coming to them because they were “HAMAS Youth” and (at the same time) “Fatah PLO” terrorists.

Schlussel may not be as well-known as Geller (perhaps because Schlussel has not exercised a leading role in anything as prominent as the “Ground Zero Mosque” furor), but she is a politically active Republican and more mainstream than Geller because she is also a culture writer with a strong media presence. (Not that she separates this work from her anti-Islamic campaign – she has criticized the film industry for not doing enough to portray Islam “correctly”).

Her opinion on the Norway terror attacks can be summed up with these quotes taken from her ongoing screeds against the terror victims:

“Based on these pics, seems like he’s [Glenn Beck's] spot on, though he should have added, HAMAS Youth camp, too. As we all know, Nazis boycotted Jews and were Jew-killers. And these hateful, privileged brats at the camp boycotted Jews and sided with Jew-killers.

But what goes around comes around. You support terrorists against innocent civilians in Israel, then you get attacked by terrorists who are upset with your support . . . .

Frankly, the HAMAS charter and HAMAS’ behavior, all of which these kids at the Norwegian HAMAS youth camp cheered on, is a lot more scary than the screed and deeds of Breivik . . . .

I shed no tears for these HAMASnik campers with a Scandinavian dialect. Perpetrators are not victims. Sorry. HAMAS collaborators don’t get my pity. They never will.”

Far stronger words than Geller was willing to use. But they are par for the course as far as Schlussel is concerned.

Her prominence derives from her utility to the male conservative-dominated anti-Islamic movement. The fact that she is a woman (and also the daughter of Holocaust survivors) speaking out against Islam gives greater credence to an ideological group whose most well-known speakers are white Christian males like Newt Gingrich, Geert Wilders and Pat Robertson (the movement is, as a whole, dominated by sociopolitically conservative men, although many are not Christians).

Gingrich and Robertson, for instance, denounce Islamic attitudes towards women, while still being hostile to “feminism” under the cloak of “family values.” Having women on their anti-Islamic bandwagon helps prove their “point” about Islamic backwardness and their moral righteousness, which is a combination of faux-progressivism (treating Geller and Schlussel as intellectual co-equals) and paternalism (evoking Orientalist images of rapacious Muslim brutes). A similar logic animates the GOP embrace of Sarah Palin, Ann Coulter and Michele Bachmann. Schlussel and Geller, among others, are useful for the right (while at the same time, they castigate individuals on the left for being Islam’s “useful idiots”).

But back to Schlussel’s own anti-Islamic agenda. Before this most recent denunciation of insufficiently Zionist individuals, she famously responded to Osama bin Laden’s death by quipping “1 down, 1.8 billion to go.” When a family of West Bank settlers were murdered earlier this year, she approvingly quoted PM Netanyahu’s son’s remarks that “terror has a religion and it is Islam” and “not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims.”
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Wow. Hamasnik.

Thats fucken awesome. Talk about a mind like a pretzel. Twisted, tasteless and crummy.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby lupercal » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:13 am

Joe Hillshoist wrote:As far as pics and video goes. Haven't there been a few massacres lately? Va Tech, Giffords shooting, Fort Hood etc etc, there's been 4 or 5 in the last 5 years in the US alone.

How much pic and vid footage is there of those events?

That's pretty simple so let's see if you can figure it out yourself. Here's a hint: you can add the flight that didn't hit the Pentagon. But this one is really in a league of its own camera-wise.
lupercal

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:08 am

lupercal wrote:Here's a hint: you can add the flight that didn't hit the Pentagon. But this one is really in a league of its own camera-wise.

There are photos of that and what looks like the tail of a plane in one of them.

But you haven't answered my question, and its a fair question isn't it?

Although given your attitude to Facebook et al if photos did appear online they'd be too compromised for you anyway.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Peachtree Pam » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:29 am

"Fjordman" indirectly encourages violence

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/oslo ... d=10097202

The blogger Peder «Fjordman» Jensen thinks that politicians and the media are the driving forces in waging a war against white Europeans

Jensen (36) stands forward today with his full name in VG. In the international, rightwing extreme net-world he has long been a big name, but in Norway he first became publicly known when Anders Behring Breivik brought him forth as a big inspiration.

Freelance journalist Øyvind Strømmen has followed the rightwing extremists milieu for a long time and he knows "Fjordman" very well.

Even though he does not directly incite (people to engage) in terror, Strømmen thinks that he presents an ideology in which violence is the next logical step.

- Violence is a natural consequence

One of Fjordman's most well known themes, which he has put out on a number of net-sites, is"Native Revolt: A European Declaration of Independence". Here he writes about a world-wide conspiracy, in which politicians since the 1970s deliberately have tried to make Europe an Islamic dictatorship.

"The fact is that Western leaders are the driving force demographically and judicially in the war against the white majority of citizens in western countries to bring them down in favour of an authoritarian, post-democratic world order with themselves at the top. The EU is already well underway (with this)", he summarizes in a comment on net-site document.no

In the document he puts forth a list of demands "on behalf of the citizens of Europe". Among other demands the EU has to be dissolved, multiculturalism thrown out and all immigration by Muslims halted.

"Since these demands have not been fulfilled, we have no other choice than to understand that our leaders have failed us (...) We will stop paying our taxes and take the necessary steps to protect our own security and national survival", writes Jensen.

"It is not set out what these steps are, and that is a big difference between him and Breivik. But I think Jensen has a responsibility for disseminating an ideology in which violence is a natural, logical ending from his reasoning", said Strømmen.

Thomas Hylland Eriksen has read many of comments by Jensen

- Way on the right

Also professor Thomas Hylland Eriksen has read many comments by Jensen, under the pseudonym "Fjordman".

"I will first say that he is very articulate, writes extremely well and is apparently intelligent and well educated. He is also much more to the right than many others in the same milieu", said Hylland Eriksen.

He thinks that Jensen is an accomplished conspiracy theorist and points to one of the comments in document.no.

"Sooner or later will ordinary citizens discover that the EU and European leaders behind the back of native citizens have already decided that there shall be steps forward to continue muslim colonizing of our continent. This is the biggest betrayal in world history and it is unbelievable that our so-called power critical press-corp, including the country's largest newspaper VG, doesn't write one single word about it."

- Way outside democratic means (to effect change)

"He creates a picture of an endless conflict, and Islam is the enemy. He often uses words to paint pictures that hint at civil war", said Hylland Eriksen.

He underlines the fact that there is a broad spectrum of people who are critical of immigration policies in Norway.

"You have a spetrum of people who are mildly worried over integration in Groruddalen, to those who are supporters of extreme Islamism to those like him who would be conspiracy theorists. If one follows the rhetoric of Jensen, one is way outside democratic means (to effect change)" said Hylland Eriksen.

Peachtree Pam

Postby StarmanSkye » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:41 pm

What a self-deluded loon, no less dangerous than that since he panders to a fable many other reality cop-outs find compelling because it allows them to preserve their core cultural conceits while scapegoating 'race-traitors' -- a perennial theme for social control by opportunists.

So because their fake-leaders have 'betrayed' the ideals of citizen-ruled democracy by abusing power and using liberal Muslim-targetted immigration in some nefarious manner to enable the leaders' consolidation of wealth and power, the Muslim 'race' is the enemy?

That's even more convoluted than the 3rd Reich's villianization of 'inferior races' to provide a common foe society can organize against -- a kind of obsessive distraction. Almost as stupid as Tea partier's decrying the 'socialization' of America in which Corporations and the MIC set policy and command the majority of the nation's wealth.

That's seriously demented.
StarmanSkye

Postby RobinDaHood » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:44 am

I just came across this.
http://www.opendemocracy.net/magnus-nome/why-let-facts-ruin-story-norwegian-comments-on-us-coverage-of-norway-terror
Norwegian journalist Magnus Nome was in the good ol’ US of A when self-styled counterjihadist crusader Anders Breivik decided to escalate his murderous fantasies about Eurabian conquest from Outer Wingnuttia into the real world.

Why let facts ruin the story? Norwegian comments on US coverage of the Norway terror
Magnus Nome, 8 August 2011

Instead of getting the facts, the US media seemed most concerned making reality fit their pre-fabricated narrative.
About the author
Magnus Nome has worked as a freelance writer for newspapers and magazines, as a radio journalist and is currently editor-in-chief at Teddy TV, producing TV for the NRK.

Being in a sleepy Texas town when my home country was struck by a double terrorism attack was eerie. Following the story developing in American and Norwegian media simultaneously didn’t make the experience less bizarre.

I found the US coverage to be slow, riddled with inaccuracies and at times patronizing towards a nation still in shock. Almost an hour after Norwegian press reported that police had upgraded the death toll to over 80, CNN were reporting 17 dead. But worse: hours after it was clear that an ethnic Norwegian man was arrested, and those with local knowledge had surmised that Utøya was an unlikely target for Muslim fundamentalists in the first place, CNN and FOX still talked Jihad like it was the only show in town.

When facts about the perpetrator finally made their desks, a good disguise or a convert were immediately floated as possibilities, the willingness to jump to conclusions suddenly dampened by already having settled on one. In retrospect they’ve tried to hide behind the fact that someone on a jihadist online forum claimed responsibility. But somebody always does. Since when did we let an anonymous online forum poster, claiming to represent an organization nobody has heard of, set the agenda of all newsrooms in the world?

When indications started to emerge, suggesting another explanation, the news seemed very reluctant to even consider them. The experts on Islamist terror were already seated, they’d already done a good job justifying why Norway was in fact not such an unlikely target; soldiers in Afghanistan, planes over Libya, the early reprinting of the Danish cartoons, the effort to secure the deportation of Oslo resident extremist Mullah Krekar. So of course the Muslims would attack Norway. Except they didn’t.

Fox News didn’t let that stop them: “Islamic terrorism is a problem in Scandinavian countries”, we were told, after we knew who the actual perpetrator was, "where they're just sort of turning a blind eye to it." And indeed it seemed we were. The proof? After a UN speech where former president George W. Bush had kept to his favourite subject "the War On Terror", the Norwegian PM was the next speaker and had focused on the threat of (gasp!) Climate Change. Such naïveté.

Except Norway has never been the victim of Islamic terrorism. There have been some examples of political violence in the last decades: hate killings and bombings of a labour day parade, a mosque, immigrant corner shops and a left wing book store. Behind all these were right-wing extremists; loathed, few in number, but willing to use indiscriminate violence.

FOX were at pains to paint as irrelevant certain features of the terrorist – or "madman", as he was suddenly relegated to – his professed conservative Christianity, his extensive use of crusader imagery, his admiration for the Pope and his stated mission to protect Christian values against lefties and Muslims. While a good case can be made that his religion was not the source of his deeds, how irrelevant would his faith be had he been a Muslim? Would we hear of madmen and lone wolves then?

The news coverage over the following days taught me a lot of interesting new ‘facts’ about the innocent nation of Norway.

1. Apparently we don’t lock our doors at night. Wrong. We do.

2. There is no public debate about immigration. Wrong. Immigration generally, and Islam specifically, have been high on the agenda for more than a decade.

3. We’re all white. Wrong. Norway has become an increasingly diverse society since the early 1970s: almost a third of Oslo now has non-Norwegian origin, more than one in ten being Muslim.

4. Owning a gun is practically illegal. Wrong. Hunting and sport shooting are popular recreational activities, and Norway ranks high in gun ownership.

5. The Utøya victims were all white, and the terrorist did not kill any Muslims. Wrong. The victims reflected a diverse Norwegian society. Several of the dead were Muslims, several were of African or Middle Eastern ancestry. This information was available. It is extremely disrespectful to airbrush them out of the story to make it more coherent.

We were all horrified that so many of the victims were young, indeed most were in their teens. But the US news seemed to prefer the term ‘children’, not exactly accurate when the victims’ ages ranged from 14 to 61.

Later came the outrage, from Piers Morgan and others, that Norway has a maximum prison sentence of 21 years, as well as relatively comfortable prisons, “with flatscreen TVs”, as CNN.com gasped in horror. Never mind that he might get 30 for crimes against humanity and that the law allows for unlimited ‘containment’ for the most dangerous of criminals. Forget that the prisons referred to are low security prisons, that all TVs are flat in 2011, and that he might not get one at all.

Others lament the lack of the death penalty in Norway, calling for the blood of the killer. This is not what the victims’ families say. In a Facebook poll, 80% of Norwegians oppose death penalty for the killer. The terrorist wanted the death penalty re-instated. He will not get his way on this. We won’t let a murderer make us murderers.

Some commentators even claim that the laws against carrying weapons for self-defence are to blame. In all likelihood, all this would have meant is that one of the dead bodies would be clutching a pistol. Lecturing a country that has a murder rate about one eightth of the US one is disingenuous.

Some made a point out of the ‘naïve’ openness of Norwegian society, and one can indeed meet cabinet ministers strolling alone down the streets of Oslo. But this has nothing to do with naivety, they are all too aware of the murders of their Swedish colleagues Olof Palme (1986) and Anna Lindh (2003). Norwegian ministers refuse to let fear rule their private lives, and are willing to take this small risk as a principled stand. Nobody suggests this would be a good idea for Obama, but we insist this is how it should be in our country. It’s not naivety, it’s refusal to give up their freedom, being cordoned off from the people, just to mitigate a small risk. It's a risk they'd rather accept.

While FOX were patronizing Norway, one CNN anchor interviewed a surviving victim from Utøya. While he was probably in shock and not up to going on live TV, he did an incredible job describing how his friends were mowed down and he played dead amongst their corpses. Instead of letting the brave and articulate young man tell his story, the anchorwoman kept interrupting him to tell him how he (must surely) have felt, filling in detail in his story by guessing. She ‘understood exactly how he must feel’? I think not.

While American cable news was not very good at its job, the Hall of Shame is reserved for others. Worst of them all, former FOX employee Glenn Beck, who saw fit to compare the slaughtered youth of a democratic organisation in a free country to the compulsory, paramilitary, racist Hitlerjugend. I was horrified to learn this insane agitator has just addressed the democratic heart of Israel, Knesset. Nobody respectable should lend this man a soapbox ever again.

Journalism is not an exact science, and the flow of information in the immediate aftermath of a dramatic incident is chaotic and confused. While trying to sort false information from facts, errors will be made, and the former will be broadcast as the latter. This is what we expect and accept, as long as the uttermost effort is made to verify or falsify what is reported, if all reported information found to be false is rectified and if one mostly refrains from speculation and conjecture.

The coverage I saw did not uphold this standard. Maybe they thought accuracy wasn’t that important: their viewers didn’t know much about this country anyway, they’d accept whatever they were told.

Norway is a multicultural society. While many rural areas are almost completely white, in my Oslo school in the 80s, there were several dozen nationalities. Half my friends were Muslims, others were Christians, atheists, agnostics. Every world faith was represented on our streets, and it worked pretty well. It still does. That is not to say there aren’t problems, issues to be discussed. But that’s not because of the Labour Party, or because of Islam. That’s because it’s reality, and reality is never obvious or streamlined.
Creative Commons
This article is published by Magnus Nome, and openDemocracy.net under a Creative Commons licence. You may republish it with attribution for non-commercial purposes following the CC guidelines. For other queries about reuse, click here. Some articles on this site are published under different terms. No images on the site or in articles may be re-used without permission unless specifically licensed under Creative Commons.

Found Here-http://commentsfromleftfield.com/2011/08/facts-vs-narrative-utoya-edition
RobinDaHood

Postby Pierre d'Achoppement » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:25 am

Experts and hackers aid terror police
August 9, 2011

Psychiatrists, body language interpreters, code breakers and hackers from around the world are aiding the investigation into the Oslo and Utøya terrorist attacks suspect Anders Behring Breivik, bringing to light new aspects of the case that could reveal further individuals involved in the terrorist plot.

The search for anyone who knew about the plans or helped Breivik continues. Reports by newspaper Aftenposten suggest that Breivik was seen wearing a “NATO sweater” covered in police markings and with two other men, not thought to be locals, in a grocery store in Kragerø, Telemark, just days before he carried out the attacks. Car monitoring records seen by the newspaper suggest that none of the vehicles registered in Breivik’s names had been driven into Kragerø, suggesting he went there by other means. Police have meanwhile revealed that they have conducted interviews with witnesses in other countries, including some who may not have had direct contact with Breivik.

Breivik ‘on drugs,’ psychiatrists begin work
Investigators have confirmed to Aftenposten that body language experts are present at interrogations of Breivik. The experts are particularly useful in the areas where the suspect is less forthcoming, namely on the two other terrorist “cells” to which he earlier claimed to have a connection. In other areas, police spokesperson Pål-Fredrik Hjort Kraby described Breivik as “calm, willing to cooperate and giving masses of details,” as well as being able to continue for long periods without requesting breaks. Two forensic psychiatrists, Torgeir Husby and Synne Sørheim – well-known for their work on the Faiza kidnapping and murder case– are also beginning their work this week by going through videos of the interviews conducted so far, after which they will meet Breivik in person and go through his manifesto before finishing their work within an 11 November deadline.

Breivik had previously asked to be examined by Japanese psychiatrists because of their “code of honour.”If he is found not to have been accountable for his actions, then he can be forced in psychiatric custody, after which he can still be tried for his crimes. Physical examinations taken after the attacks have already shown that Breivik was under the influence of drugs, which his lawyer Geir Lippestad suggested to newspaper VG were “a cocktail of medicines.”

International effort to crack ‘code’
The investigation has received help from a number of sources, including a Norwegian hacker group called Noria, which is apparently led by a 17 year old boy. The hackers have managed to get access to two of Breivik’s email accounts, handing over all the data they contain to freelance journalist Kjetil Stormark whom they have asked to deliver the information to the police. Stormack told newspaper Dagsavisen that the data could contain useful information about others who were involved in the terrorist plot. Nonetheless, there are concerns that police may be limited in how much of the evidence they can legally use as it has been obtained through hacking.

Investigators are also working on the theory that codes are included in Breivik’s online manifesto. VG reports that global positioning system (GPS) coordinates for potential terror targets in a number of European cities, including Liverpool Street Station in London, are believed to have been masked as footnoted internet addresses. Nevertheless, the majority of addresses referenced point to areas that would not normally be considered terrorist targets. Police spokesperson Hjort Kraby believes that these “could be a part of the plan to get attention.” Over 250 international experts volunteering their time have begun to scour the manifesto for further clues, using a new web portal in order to share information.

As further witnesses have added to reports that Breivik was filming as he carried out the shootings on Utøya, police continue to search for any camera equipment on the island. The suspect also strongly hinted at the possibility of filming his operations in his manifesto. Investigators are already going through all electronic equipment they have found on the island. Police stressed to Aftenposten that they are yet to go through all of the evidence found on Utøya, with spokesperson Hjort Kraby commented that “it could (be) that things have been put in a tent or sleeping bag that could belong to the suspect.”

Breivik planned ’stolen plane’ getaway
Breivik has, according to VG, also told police that he originally planned to use a stolen plane from Gardermoen Airport to flee Utøya, but was hindered in his last week of planning by a lack of time. Lawyer Lippestad commented that this shows how his client has “a completely different perception of reality than what is normal.”

It was also revealed to Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) by Lippestad that Breivik had access to a “walkie-talkie” during the incident, which may have been used to listen to local police radio. The local police force is outside of the new secure police communication system that has been introduced in Oslo and some other parts of Norway.

‘Very isolated’ in prison
Police have announced that Breivik is finding it more “difficult” in prison now and have noticed a difference in the suspect more recently, which is partly believed to be caused by the wearing off of the drugs he took beforehand. Lawyer Lippestad has also confirmed to Aftenposten that Breivik has begun to feel “very isolated” in solitary confinement, and has taken up the offer to see the prison chaplain, the only person he can see other than his lawyer and police officers. Chaplain Odd Cato Kristiansen will meet Breivik at some point this week for a normal 45 minute session, stressing that he “endeavours to have an open mind” about all prisoners to whom he is also bound by a duty of confidentiality.

Aftenposten also reports that Breivik has been given access to a computer without internet connectivity in order to write a defense, after he refused the use of paper and pen. Police spokesperson Hjort Kraby told VG that Breivik still shows “no regret” over the attacks.

Meanwhile, it is now believed that the biggest courtroom in Oslo will not be big enough for the case, meaning that a number of other venues are being considered. NRK reports that these including Oslo Spektrum (the capital’s biggest music venue), the Telenor Arena in Fornebu (a football stadium with 15,000 seated capacity) and Norges Varemesse in Lillestrøm (a conference venue). Only two previous cases has been forced into larger venues. The district recorder at Oslo’s courthouse, Geir Engebretsen, told NRK that people must keep “an open mind” about the venue, stressing that “the worthiness, implementation and quality of the work is not dependent on the physical surroundings.”

Views and News from Norway/Aled-Dilwyn Fisher

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2011/08/09/ ... or-police/ so much weirdness in this story i tried to highlight some in red but it's useless really!
Jeff: I'm afraid that Earth, a-all of Earth, is nothing but an intergalactic reality-TV show.
Man 2: My God. We're famous! [everyone stands and whoops it up]
- script from "Cancelled" - South Park
Pierre d'Achoppement

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 8bitagent » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:11 am

Breivik may have had secret code embedded in manifesto

Official death toll is now that magic number, 77
http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/08/ ... roken.html
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:31 pm

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Peachtree Pam » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:35 am

Breivik returns to site of Norway shooting spree

http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local ... nnipegHome

Updated: Sun Aug. 14 2011 09:56:26

CTV News.ca Staff

The Norwegian man who confessed to gunning down scores of youth at an island camp returned to the scene of the crime on Saturday to reconstruct his actions for investigators.

Police held Anders Behring Breivik on a leash as they escorted him through the island of Utoya for a hearing about the deadly massacre that devastated Norway late last month.

The 32-year-old has admitted to detonating a bomb outside Oslo government buildings and then carrying out a shooting spree on the nearby lake island shortly after. Seventy-seven people were killed in the twin terror attacks on July 22.

Prosecutor Paal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby told reporters in Oslo that Breivik didn't express any regret during his eight-hour island visit.

"The suspect showed he wasn't emotionally unaffected by being back at Utoya…but he didn't show any remorse," said Kraby.

About 10 or 12 police officers escorted Breivik around Utoya as he described his July 22 shooting spree in close detail, he said.

"He has been questioned for about 50 hours about this and he has always been calm, detailed and collaborative, and that was also the case on Utoya."

Kraby said Breivik walked roughly the same route as the one he took on the lethal day of the attacks during the reconstruction.

Images published in a Norwegian newspaper show Breivik simulating the act of firing gunshots into water off the island's shoreline, where panicked teenagers tried to escape from him.

In the images, Breivik can be seen wearing a bulletproof vest and a harness connected to a leash over a red T-shirt and jeans as he led police around the island.

The entire hearing was filmed by police and will later be used in court.

New developments

Kraby also told reporters that police received several phone calls during the terror attack that were probably from Breivik himself, but the prosecutor didn't elaborate how police reacted to the calls.

Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten has reported that Breivik offered to surrender several times and asked police to call him back but they didn't.

Other local news outlets have reported that Breivik may have filmed parts of the massacre himself. Kraby said a video camera was discussed during Saturday's reconstruction but he declined to elaborate.

Though Breivik has confessed to the twin terror attacks, he denies any criminal guilt. According to his lawyer, Breivik said he believes the massacre was necessary to save Norway and Europe from Muslims and punish politicians who have embraced multiculturalism.

If convicted on terrorism charges, Breivik faces up to 21 years in prison. However, he could be kept behind bars indefinitely if a judge determines that he poses a significant danger to the public.

Peachtree Pam

Postby Pierre d'Achoppement » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:50 pm

I was watching television last night and discovery channel had the special on this that someone announced earlier on in the thread, so i watched a little of that. There were interviews with young survivors and lots of big pictures of Breiviks face. It's not even a month ago this happened. I know we've been discussing the event in this thread which some found distasteful, so maybe i'm a hypocrite but for discovery channel to air a special so soon, to me it's distasteful and weird. The weird thing being they had interviews with survivors. From a guardian article some weeks ago:

How should journalists talk to survivors of the attacks in Norway?
They are still too shocked to speak. I kept my distance but should I even be in their town?
Monday 1 August 2011 20.00 BST

(...)

Journalists, wherever possible, piece together a story from primary sources – people who were there when something happened. But what to do when the witnesses won't talk to you? After I arrived, a nurse on Bardu's crisis team had gently asked me not to approach Hanne or the three other young women from the town who had survived the atrocities. "It is too soon," she said. "I hope you understand that."

(...)

On Thursday evening, I couldn't sleep. I'd stayed up late writing my dispatch for Saturday's paper without speaking to a victim or the families of the dead, relying instead on testimony from the town's priest, the deputy mayor and friends of those never to return.

(...)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ay-attacks

So that was the mood 1 august, then contrast to this discovery press release from 2 august:

August 2, 2011
Discovery Channel Investigates One of the Worst Shooting Sprees of All Time In NORWAY MASSACRE: THE KILLER'S MIND
-- Special Premieres Monday, August 8 at 9PM ET/PT on Discovery Channel;
Encores on Investigation Discovery August 11 at 8PM ET/PT and
Military Channel August 16 at 10PM ET/PT --

http://corporate.discovery.com/discover ... -worst-sh/

Anyway, here you can watch it:

Jeff: I'm afraid that Earth, a-all of Earth, is nothing but an intergalactic reality-TV show.
Man 2: My God. We're famous! [everyone stands and whoops it up]
- script from "Cancelled" - South Park
Pierre d'Achoppement

Blog: View Blog (1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion