Where is UFOlogy at in 2015?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Where is UFOlogy at in 2011?

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:26 am

Joe Hillshoist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby LilyPatToo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks for posting those book covers, Joe--they were my introduction to science fiction...and perhaps to UFOs too. Seeing those covers makes me wonder what set Eleanor Cameron on that particular writing path way back in 1954...?

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby sfnate » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Let's just say that there is a phenomenon of, as Jung said, "things seen in the sky".

That is our beginning, and it is the only uncontroversial statement that anyone can make about what occurs: we see some thing in the sky--it appears to be there, and then it seems to vanish.

The relationship of the witness to the observed is probably the least understood, and most mis-represented, aspect of the phenomenon.

In the pure syntax of the moment, we are the subject (witness) conjoined to an object (thing). The missing grammatical piece is the appropriate verb--the verb that creates and links us to the semantical intimacy of meaning.

The absence of a verbal "tissue" that connects the observer to the observed is a crippling grammatical error that frustrates the expression of any meaningful statement about what is happening, and why.

The various linguists engaged in the expert analysis of the as yet unarticulated narrative rely almost exclusively on nouns--things--and adjectives--descriptors--in their attempts to express the relationship between the observer and the observed.

But the deeper, transformational element of understanding is missing, because the analysis relies on an assumption of some concretized reality that is the static representation of an impersonal will revealed through the manifest extension of its intention into various formative instruments. One instrument, for example, is the simple teleology of adaptive organisms (evolution). The prescriptive grammar of science maintains that evolution exists as an expression of the programmatic imperative of the lifeforce, a complex ingression of novelty into the bio-engine of pro-creation. The fixed mechanical perspective of scientism depicts three-dimensional objects and spatial relationships on a two-dimensional cognitive plane: it is a flat, affectless sentence that disdains any meaning in favor of the cold and clinical presentation of facts, the nouns and adjectives of existence.

However, we can use verbs to discover meaning, because they link subject and object in an embrace that is both intimate and real. Or, rather, they create a reality that is a participatory event, where the creative impetus is returned to the subject who speaks a narrative into existence. This alchemical transformation of matter through a deep understanding of the Logos is the occult science that understands that we live our lives in places that were always first imagined, then revealed: our individual lives are sentences in the Book of Revelations, and every twisting of the plot is the apocryphal text of our deepest dreams.

Reality is an experiment in collaborative deep-fiction. This is a metaphor, of course. But metaphor can expose the hidden meaning in every object. The UFO is a rich archetypal receiver of our dreams, a vessel for meaning that writes strange sentences in the sky with an unseen hand, our own.
sfnate

Postby hanshan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:55 pm

realize the fabric changes & images shift

Palyne has a curious story.

http://www.firedocs.com/bewilderness/

Brother Blue

had his site hacked too many times; while active had some
interesting insights & a stunning collection of highstrangeness

http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5673&view=previous

don't know what happened to the archives. Maybe the Prof knows

hanshan

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:50 pm

Recently recovered the brother blue material here:

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/bb/index.htm
Wombaticus Rex

Postby hanshan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Wombaticus Rex wrote:Recently recovered the brother blue material here:

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/bb/index.htm

Excellent. Tx

hanshan

Postby peartreed » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:55 pm

My first exposure to Ufology was as a kid up at our summer cottage finding and reading the discarded paperback , “The White Sands Incident” by Daniel Fry (1954). His trip from White Sands Proving Grounds to New York on a saucer with alien “Alan” was as unbelievable as the pulp fiction Sci-Fi in Ray Palmer’s “Amazing Stories”. But I was hooked. What if only some of this woo-woo was true?

I even had my own UFO sighting in the night skies over Muskoka, Ontario. A nocturnal nightmare also introduced me to my own strange intruders.

Soon I was reading about contactees George Adamski, Truman Bethurum and George Williamson, the wannabe interplanetary interpreters for the Space Brothers arriving to save us from atomic destruction. Then the internecine wars in the fractious UFO field pitted the “Contactees” against the more scientific “nuts and bolts” researchers, like Major Donald Keyhoe, seeking proof of physical alien craft.

Finding contactees disturbingly like Spiritualist Mediums, channelers and pseudo-religious quacks with messianic delusions, I bolted for the nuts. They were safer to discuss than the Mushroom Planet fantasists and their Little Green Men cartoons.

By then the Theosophists had spawned a third more spiritual “New Age” faction where the experiencers described all kinds of altered state encounters with a wide range of off-world types, often only recalled through hallucinogens, hypnosis or trance meditations. These “Ascended Masters” and their illusionary ilk just dispensed more ludicrous, preachy, pacifist pabulum of little import. So I avoided anything arriving in robes.

When the popularity of the movie “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” and the Strieber book “Communion” (along with Budd Hopkins’ “Missing Time” and “Intruders”) straddled the polarized proponents, the gap was further muddied by a sudden proliferation of nocturnal abduction claims and the soon-standardized abductee paradigm featuring alien “Grays’. Ufology was an outcast camp now further divided into contactees, phenomenal frisbee finders, visionaries, abductees and, now, abductee wannabes.

By then I was hosting a UFO Forum on an early internet service, CompuServe. It was a crucible of conflict and confusion that fly-trapped all the UFO fanatics in cyberspace. Whitley Strieber and Richard Bach (Jonathan Livingston Seagull) flew into it and deposited their own novel news and interacted with the fractious UFO fans. TV "reality" series like "Encounters" soon opened up competing forums on AOL and other web traps.

Inciting the clash of opposing credos along the lunatic fringe were the authors and touring lecturers competing fiercely with one another on the UFO convention circuits for very limited commercial gain by fleecing its followers. Every UFO luminary was protecting his latest exclusive discovery and breakthrough in the anomalous field to maximize personal profit and positioning, and taking great pains to shoot down all competitive trial balloons as well. This compounded the competitive catfights for the rare currency of credibility. Every pundit mounting a podium became a target. Some of them were already being mind-manipulated, much like USAF agent Richard Doty orchestrated the mental breakdown of Paul Bennewitz with dazzling disinformation about alien captures at Kirkland AFB.

Underneath this circus tent the covert machinations of the intel psyops agencies whipped up the audience, encouraging ufology as an incredulous cover for any sightings of military black ops weapon testing. It was a perfect diversion for any unwelcome public attention or inquiry into unexplained, anomalous technologies aloft. Ridicule was its primary poison pill. Our forum was the playground of the Science & Technology Directorate of the Pentagon, under Drs. Christopher (Kit) Green and Roland (Ron) Pandolphi. Their agents monitored our UFO traffic for fun and sadistic sport while tracking our reported sightings, encounters and observations.

But I left the UFO zoo after Marshall Applewhite and Heaven’s Gate suicided the cultists caught up in the Bo-Peep Hale Bop fairy tales of alien rescue. I realized then that Jacques Vallee and John Keel were right in ascribing the UFO phenomenon as messengers of deception, an anomalous oversight by interdimensional tricksters, much like the Archons that ancient Gnostic codices identified as the intruders who played havoc with our formative belief systems.

Or maybe it’s all in our minds.

peartreed
peartreed

Postby DrVolin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:52 pm

Epic thread.
all these dreams are swept aside
By bloody hands of the hypnotized
Who carry the cross of homicide
And history bears the scars of our civil wars

--Guns and Roses
DrVolin

Postby Laodicean » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:06 pm

ConcreteJungle wrote:These types of threads make me see how mindfucked much of the population is. I'm inclined to say fuck NASA, fuck space, and fuck ET. I want any future kids of mine to have a place to live and worrying about this shit won't get us there.

Fuck that mindset.

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Searcher08 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:10 pm

Laodicean wrote:
ConcreteJungle wrote:These types of threads make me see how mindfucked much of the population is. I'm inclined to say fuck NASA, fuck space, and fuck ET. I want any future kids of mine to have a place to live and worrying about this shit won't get us there.

Fuck that mindset.

As a Thought Experiment , I wonder how it might land with people, if it was found that they were regarded with almost no interest by ET? That vast numbers of well established races and networks and technologies are already in existence in the Greater Community and that 'local names for the Earth include "Cancer planet", "Planet of Sorrows" and "Planet where children hunger".

When I run that scenario, I see a societal collapse far worse than anything from global warming and /or Peak Oil. Why? Because those are external physical problems, that can yet harness human creativity (albeit under great duress / last 'ten seconds left' way) - OTOH finding out that our current state in the Greater Community may be more 'inmate in a mental unit' rather than 'Gene Roddenberry Central' and that is because of how we fundamentally relate to each other.

Many New Age-y types are hoping for a secret intervention, a kind of stern Cosmic Mum and Dad to make it all ok and teach us. I am reminded of the Zen Master who says to the pupil that what most people think of as an empty head is actually stuffed so full of rubbish there is no room for anything else.

What if we were told -"You folks are learning disabled to an enormous degree, are ethically retarded and morally vacuous. You are currently unteachable"

Many insane materialists are looking on the planetary neighbourhood as a place to dump unwanted toxic waste, build empires, make fortunes... and basically seeking to export human stupidity.

Somehow, I think that aint gonna happen...
Searcher08

Postby Sepka » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:04 am

MacCruiskeen wrote:The case is unique (so far as I know) in three main ways:

1/ It is the only close-encounter I'm aware of that was investigated as such by the police - the incident
was even listed as a "common assault", which means charges could potentially be brought against whoever/whatever did
it in the courts. (!!!)

2/ There was quite a lot of physical evidence, for once - unusual tears in the clothing of the victim, and quite extensive
markings on the ground - and all of this was logged not by the victim, or UFO researchers, or local journalists, but by the
police themselves, who back up the victim's story in it's entirety. There has been an attempt to preserve the area it
happened in.

3/ The victim, Robert Taylor, seemed wholly reliable and pretty motiveless if he was lying, and was otherwise totally
uninterested in UFOs beyond this one incident. He never changed his story in any way over nearly forty years, never
asked for payment or courted publicity (tried to avoid it in fact), and was believed by pretty much everyone who heard him tell the tale, which he didn't often.

The DesVergers case from the summer of 1952 shares those characteristics. The police were called while the encounter was in progress, and arrived shortly thereafter. They investigated thoroughly, and preserved the scene for the Air Force. DesVergers was mildly burned, and his clothing (his hat in particular) had odd pinhole burns. Grass from the location was found to be burned underground, at the roots, although not above ground. The three Boy Scouts stuck tight to their story, and had no obvious reason to lie. The sheriff's deputy, and the couple whose phone they used all described them as terrified. DesVergers himself, unfortunately, had a bit of a reputation as an exaggerator, but people who knew him felt that he was telling the truth about this, as did all of the investigators.

The Michalak case from 1967 is another encounter with injury that was investigated by the police. If this was a hoax, it's hard to see what he hoped to gain. He reportedly spent thousands of dollars out of pocket on medical expenses.
- Sepka the Space Weasel

One Furry Mofo!
Sepka

Postby Sepka » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:12 am

barracuda wrote:The funny thing is that while the military has controlled the UFO information flow since WW2, the true high strangeness has melted into the morass and become nearly impossible to discriminate, especially in a situation in which the marketing of the latest theory is a cottage industry beyond the wildest dreams of the early hypothesizers. How many people make their living off of UFO products now? What common advertisers do they feature on their websites? Where do these links lead you? Who are the corporate sponsors of the medium and large conferences? How many websites does Steven Lewis manage? :lol: Non-military UFOlogy, like most of the world of conspiracy media, is probably largely a network marketing pyramid scheme like Amway, and the end result is probably the hidden hawking of ARM mortagages and new-age medicinal cures right along with the endless stream of ancient lost civilisations and bland, expressionless faces mute on the surface of Mars.

If you accept Jaques Valee's hypothesis about the UFO phenomenon serving as a sort of control mechanism to shape human behaviour and perceptions toward the phenomenon's unknown purposes, then why shouldn't some of the 'cottage industry', the fake videos, the cultish memes, etc, be part of that? If it's all a show for our benefit, then why restrict that show to 'real' objects in the sky, when a YouTube video can reach so many more?
- Sepka the Space Weasel

One Furry Mofo!
Sepka

Postby barracuda » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:52 am

Searcher08 wrote:What if we were told -"You folks are learning disabled to an enormous degree, are ethically retarded and morally vacuous. You are currently unteachable"

I've considered that. Obviously this planet is a dangerous place on the level of the movie Deliverance, and extraterrestrials know what a perverse backwater it is, filled with demonstrably inbred ape creatures starving and murdering and robbing each other as a way of life, so they simply perform ocassional careful fly-overs to avoid the "squeal like a pig" part of the scenario, coring a few cattle anii here and there and making sure they don't get too close to the population because they're all too well aware that if you get caught on the surface the best you can expect from us is a clumsy dissection with knives and a final resting place in a secret pickle jar in the hidden archives.

Many insane materialists are looking on the planetary neighbourhood as a place to dump unwanted toxic waste, build empires, make fortunes... and basically seeking to export human stupidity.

"Exporting human stupidity" is just another name for colonialism.

Sepka wrote:If you accept Jaques Valee's hypothesis about the UFO phenomenon serving as a sort of control mechanism to shape human behaviour and perceptions toward the phenomenon's unknown purposes, then why shouldn't some of the 'cottage industry', the fake videos, the cultish memes, etc, be part of that? If it's all a show for our benefit, then why restrict that show to 'real' objects in the sky, when a YouTube video can reach so many more?

I like it, Space Weasel. And there's a number of alternate ways you can run with that concept. It seems as if you're saying that perhaps a percentage of UFO cultural detritus might be part of the overall strategy of the entity, perhaps even engineered by them, while accepting that the corresponding remainder are "true" fakes. Taking that summary as a possible category, let's separate its component ideas to the extremity. Maybe...

- There is no such thing as a truely hoaxed sighting. The entity controls all information and disinformation as such at the source, even to the tactical point of influencing Dave and Doug's crop circles in some way unknown to us to ensure the dissemination of their messages throughout the channels. So if I start a website outlining my received understanding of the E.T plan for humanity or fake a CGI YouTube vid, in all likelyhood I have done so as a result of some impelling factor controlled by the entity. Or, conversely,

- There are no true sightings at all. The entire phenomenon is a totally human cultural construct which begins and ends through the modes of imagination, disinformation, misunderstanding, marketing, mythology, and fakery. Or,

- True "UFO" phenomena doesn't exist at all on the level of EBE's or hyperdimensional tricksters, but rather there is a completely different phenomena, or sets of phenomena, which can cause anomalous effects upon photographic film and video, create mass hallucinations, project conjoined co-hallucinations between separate individuals, trace patterns on radar screens, &c. These unknown sets of phenomena have been categorized as "unexplainable", and the effect of this categorization results in the erroneous and fallacious grouping of entirely dissimilar sources under a misleading but handy umbrella.

I'm not sure how any of these ideas get us any closer to a big picture, though. They all boil down to untestable "what if?" conjectures rather than "what is" statements. What I'd like to see would be more comprehensive metrical analysis collating as many variables about the information available to us as possible, including but not limited to statistics regarding sightings as well as the seemingly human outgrowths of the cultural end of the phenomena. As well, an evolutionary chart of linguistical changes related to the UFO culture might have some value. Most of all, I'd love to see a family tree of websites and their associated marketed products and sponsors to shake out demographics, estimated ROI, and source data overlap as an examination of the business end of the weirdness industry.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Simulist » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:33 pm

sfnate wrote:Let's just say that there is a phenomenon of, as Jung said, "things seen in the sky".

That is our beginning, and it is the only uncontroversial statement that anyone can make about what occurs: we see some thing in the sky--it appears to be there, and then it seems to vanish.

The relationship of the witness to the observed is probably the least understood, and most mis-represented, aspect of the phenomenon.

In the pure syntax of the moment, we are the subject (witness) conjoined to an object (thing). The missing grammatical piece is the appropriate verb--the verb that creates and links us to the semantical intimacy of meaning.

The absence of a verbal "tissue" that connects the observer to the observed is a crippling grammatical error that frustrates the expression of any meaningful statement about what is happening, and why.

The various linguists engaged in the expert analysis of the as yet unarticulated narrative rely almost exclusively on nouns--things--and adjectives--descriptors--in their attempts to express the relationship between the observer and the observed.

But the deeper, transformational element of understanding is missing, because the analysis relies on an assumption of some concretized reality that is the static representation of an impersonal will revealed through the manifest extension of its intention into various formative instruments. One instrument, for example, is the simple teleology of adaptive organisms (evolution). The prescriptive grammar of science maintains that evolution exists as an expression of the programmatic imperative of the lifeforce, a complex ingression of novelty into the bio-engine of pro-creation. The fixed mechanical perspective of scientism depicts three-dimensional objects and spatial relationships on a two-dimensional cognitive plane: it is a flat, affectless sentence that disdains any meaning in favor of the cold and clinical presentation of facts, the nouns and adjectives of existence.

However, we can use verbs to discover meaning, because they link subject and object in an embrace that is both intimate and real. Or, rather, they create a reality that is a participatory event, where the creative impetus is returned to the subject who speaks a narrative into existence. This alchemical transformation of matter through a deep understanding of the Logos is the occult science that understands that we live our lives in places that were always first imagined, then revealed: our individual lives are sentences in the Book of Revelations, and every twisting of the plot is the apocryphal text of our deepest dreams.

Reality is an experiment in collaborative deep-fiction. This is a metaphor, of course. But metaphor can expose the hidden meaning in every object. The UFO is a rich archetypal receiver of our dreams, a vessel for meaning that writes strange sentences in the sky with an unseen hand, our own.

Most of us are unaccustomed to thinking this way, but if we're ever going to get any sort of foothold at all on this topic, it seems to me we'd better become more accustomed to it.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:47 pm

I've always been confused by the coverup narrative. I can understand that you never disclose anything you can't answer questions about. As an operational guideline, that makes sense.

I find the "War of the Worlds" stunt interesting. A lot of "Disclosure" types cite the panic that resulted from the Rockefeller/Princeton project as proof that the public couldn't handle The Troof. And yet -- the Welles broadcast wasn't really about disclosure at all, it was about a hostile invasion, human casualties, the military being overwhelmed, the end of the fucking world. It was meticulously designed to induce panic. Then again, loaded experiments have been a technocratic tool to legitimize whatever they want, innit?

There's been some beautiful sci-fi work on the implications of contact, but it's such a gnarled and complex topic nobody's really done it justice. Considering the scale of the transformation involved, I don't know how any human medium could do the subject much justice anyway.

I would argue that humanity needs ETI, desperately. If it does not exist, it is necessary to invent some.
Wombaticus Rex

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion