Hurricane Could Strike World's Most Important Area

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Hurricane Could Strike World's Most Important Area

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:01 pm

ninakat wrote:Bruce, are there any other options you'd consider? I think you should leave in the best way possible (even if that means additional expense). Just my paranoid opinion.

Here's a PDF of the evacuation zones for NYC (click on image):

We're definitely in the evacuation zone, but at the moment I'm wondering how they're going to enforce such a thing.

As for another method of escape, I really don't think we have any better options than our car, as renting a vehicle here in Manhattan is a major pain in the arse under the best of circumstances.

I'm leaving work now, and will make the final decision within a couple of hours. Gotta stop at the pet store on the way home to see if they have any homeopathic cat calming remedies.

SERENITY NOW!
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ninakat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Best wishes Bruce. :hug1:
ninakat

Postby Canadian_watcher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:21 pm

Bruce Dazzling wrote:If, and I DO mean IF TPTB have the Dr. Evil-like ability to steer hurricanes, putting the financial district out of business for a few weeks, and destroying financial records would be a heck of a way to speed up the ongoing, slow-motion collapse.

Again though, I am stressing the IF.

oooooh, I hadn't thought of that. :shock: see, I was pretty nonchalant about the likelihood of this storm really doing any significant damage to NYC right up until you laid that out there.

Be safe.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby Alaya » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:30 pm

Bruce, good idea about the pet tranquilizers. Also, get a crate of some kind for your cat. I would say if the dog is small enough, crate him too. I know there's not much room in there. Used to have a Mini. Stay safe, please. We need you around here. :hug1:
Alaya

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:43 pm

Canadian_watcher wrote:
Bruce Dazzling wrote:If, and I DO mean IF TPTB have the Dr. Evil-like ability to steer hurricanes, putting the financial district out of business for a few weeks, and destroying financial records would be a heck of a way to speed up the ongoing, slow-motion collapse.

Again though, I am stressing the IF.

oooooh, I hadn't thought of that. :shock: see, I was pretty nonchalant about the likelihood of this storm really doing any significant damage to NYC right up until you laid that out there.

Be safe.

This also made me think of the upcoming "Occupy Wall Street" project, that, from the beginning, I've been very skeptical about. Hurricane + false flag occupation that's gone south...
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Stephen Morgan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Get over to gregpalast's webpage. Talks about setting up, in his previous life, an evacuation plan for hurricanes in posh bits of New York.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby 82_28 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:46 pm

I'd imagine pet crates are just about sold out about now. But yeah, get a crate. More than likely though your cat will cower somewhere and the dog will just chill out. The biggest problem with cats is moving them back and forth from old environments to new ones and how understandably neurotic they get with it. And with a storm of this size, your dog, probably all the dogs (and cats) are going to be going nuts especially if they must be transported via human means as you evacuate. I always knew a thunderstorm was coming, even though I didn't see it, when my dog would start cowering behind the toilet. And then, in would come the storm. . .
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:01 pm

82_28 wrote:I'd imagine pet crates are just about sold out about now. But yeah, get a crate. More than likely though your cat will cower somewhere and the dog will just chill out. The biggest problem with cats is moving them back and forth from old environments to new ones and how understandably neurotic they get with it. And with a storm of this size, your dog, probably all the dogs (and cats) are going to be going nuts especially if they must be transported via human means as you evacuate. I always knew a thunderstorm was coming, even though I didn't see it, when my dog would start cowering behind the toilet. And then, in would come the storm. . .

We have a cat crate, but our dog is a golden, so a crate big enough to hold her would be too big for the car.

Stephen Morgan wrote:Get over to gregpalast's webpage. Talks about setting up, in his previous life, an evacuation plan for hurricanes in posh bits of New York.

I just looked at that, but Palast is talking about the Hamptons, which is in suburban on Long Island, about 70 miles away from me.

I'm home from work now, and we're trying to determine whether or not we're going to heed the evacuation order. It seems like lots of people are going to stick it out. We're putting our final decision off until this evening, because if we do leave, we don't want to do it in rush hour traffic.

Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes!
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby beeline » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Bruce Dazzling wrote:Gotta stop at the pet store on the way home to see if they have any homeopathic cat calming remedies.
!

I recommend cat pheromones
beeline

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:20 pm

beeline wrote:
Bruce Dazzling wrote:Gotta stop at the pet store on the way home to see if they have any homeopathic cat calming remedies.
!

I recommend cat pheromones

Ended up getting the only thing they had.

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby Nordic » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:27 pm

Holy crap, my stepdaughter is in NYC right now and they just cancelled her flight out of there!!

She's stuck there now, without us.

Shit!
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby ninakat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:45 pm

We're getting some storms already in the Raleigh area.

Mean Irene Closes in on N.C. Outer Banks

**As of 4:00 p.m. EDT Friday, a spiral band with heavy rain and winds up to 60 mph is about to roll ashore in the coastal Carolinas. The latest statistics and projected path on Irene are available at the AccuWeather.com Hurricane Center.**
ninakat

Postby ninakat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:51 pm

It all starts with Hurricane Irene's incredible wind field. As of Friday morning tropical storm-force winds were up to 580 miles wide. This is the distance from Baltimore to Portland, Maine.

link
ninakat

Postby Canadian_watcher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Nordic wrote:Holy crap, my stepdaughter is in NYC right now and they just cancelled her flight out of there!!

She's stuck there now, without us.

Shit!

ouch.. I can imagine what you must be feeling. Hang in there, she's amazingly resourceful. (I can say this without knowing her because all young people are, when pressed!)
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby Canadian_watcher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:08 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:This also made me think of the upcoming "Occupy Wall Street" project, that, from the beginning, I've been very skeptical about. Hurricane + false flag occupation that's gone south...

true enough.. although that's not scheduled till the 17th (20 days is an age in modern times, really) .. still, it all remains to be seen, doesn't it? Irene could be a perfect cover for a lot of shenanigans.

Canadian_watcher

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion