Hurricane Could Strike World's Most Important Area

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Hurricane Could Strike World's Most Important Area

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Bloomberg:

"Staying behind is dangerous, staying behind is foolish, and it's against the law..." [!!!]
--

Cearly a dry run for future Marshall Law. And the people dutifully comply. Supermarkets have been cleared of water, batteries and other "vital" resources for what is being marketed as a full-fledged natural disaster threatening our privileged way of life. Amazing how well-trained/domesticated/indoctrinated the Plebes have become. They will mindlessly [almost unconsciously] adhere to any instruction/hysterics passed down by AUTHORITY/MEDIA. And that is a problem, regardless of how real this current natural threat may turn out to be.

http://m.cbsnews.com/fullstory.rbml?cat ... deofeed=36

N.Y.C. mayor: Don't wait to evacuate
August 27, 2011

NEW YORK - The bridges, streets and subways of New York were nearly empty Saturday morning ahead of a nearly unprecedented mass transit shutdown as New Yorkers heeded warnings about approaching Hurricane Irene.

As rain started falling on him at Coney Island, Mayor Michael Bloomberg urged residents who needed to leave to get out — right away.

The city does not have enough resources to evacuate the majority of the 370,000 affected residents after the weather worsens, he said.

"Staying behind is dangerous, staying behind is foolish, and it's against the law, and we urge everyone in the evacuation zones not to wait until gale-force winds," he said at a news conference from Coney Island. "The time to leave is right now."

If the storm brings serious flooding Sunday, power could be cut off to the city's most vulnerable areas, including the southern tip of Manhattan and parts of the West Village, said Consolidated Edison spokesman Chris Olert. But he didn't expect any power to be cut off Saturday.

"We're not doing anything proactively," he said. "This would be based on flood conditions."

Flooding could cause severe damage to underground cables, transformers and other equipment if power was left on. A shutdown "allows us to do repairs more quickly and safely," he said.

Video: The urban hurricane

By Saturday morning, few people were even walking or driving. With the shutdown deadline looming, most cars on a train on the No. 1 subway line that runs the length of Manhattan's West Side were empty already in the early morning. Other subways trains were full but not overloaded.

Transit fares and tolls were waived in evacuated areas. Officials hoped most residents would stay with family and friends, and for the rest the city opened nearly 100 shelters with a capacity of 71,000 people.

On Wall Street, sandbags were placed around subway grates nearest the East River, which is expected to surge as the hurricane nears New York.

For those who choose to stay in the city, it won't be a picnic, Bloomberg said. Elevators in public housing apartments would be shut down, and other high-rises may choose to do the same.

Residents were urged to stay indoors once the weather started to get worse.

At 17 Battery Place, a 36-floor luxury rental building, Daryl Edelman and his wife, Regina, were leaving — suitcase packed and their small white dog, Bitsy Bananas, tucked into a case.

"What the mayor did — shutting down the transportation system — is more dangerous than the storm," said Daryl Edelman, a comic book writer. "People could be left stranded — especially the elderly."

Bloomberg said he hoped the evacuation wasn't necessary — but regardless the storm was expected to be serious enough to cause major damage.

"You can't prepare for the best case. You have to prepare for the worst case," he said.

Bloomberg weathered criticism after a Dec. 26 storm dumped nearly two feet of snow that seemed to catch officials by surprise. Subway trains, buses and ambulances got stuck in the snow, some for hours, and streets were impassable for days. Bloomberg ultimately called it an "inadequate and unacceptable" response.

This time, officials weren't taking any chances. Transit officials said they can't run once sustained winds reach 39 mph, and they need eight hours to move trains and equipment to safety.

Ten teams of firefighters using school buses would be helping with evacuation, and there was an increase police presence.

Bridges and tunnels also could be closed as the storm approaches. Taxis in New York City were to switch from metered fares to zone fares, meaning riders would be charged by which part of the city they were being driven to, rather than how far they were being taken.

The five main New York City-area airports were scheduled to close at noon Saturday to arriving domestic and international flights. Three of them, Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark Liberty, are among the nation's busiest.

Irene made landfall in North Carolina on Saturday, and was expected to roll up the Interstate 95 corridor reaching New York on Sunday. A hurricane warning was issued for the city Friday afternoon, the first since Gloria in 1985.

If the storm stays on its current path, skyscraper windows could shatter, tree limbs would fall and debris would be tossed around. Streets in the southern tip of the city could be under a few feet of water, and police readied rescue boats but said they wouldn't go out if conditions were poor.

"Heed the warnings," Bloomberg urged, his shirt soaking as the rain fell. "It isn't cute to say `I'm tougher than any storm.' I hope this is not necessary, but it's certainly prudent."

Several New York landmarks were under the evacuation order, including the Battery Park City area, where tourists catch ferries to the Statue of Liberty. Construction was stopping throughout the city, and workers at the World Trade Center site were dismantling a crane and securing equipment. Bloomberg said there would be no effect on the Sept. 11 memorial opening the day after the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks.

But sporting events, concerts and even Broadway were going dark.

New flood gates were put in place outside Citi Field as a precaution, but Major League Baseball took no chances. The Braves-Mets games Saturday and Sunday were postponed, to be made up as a doubleheader on Sept. 8.

All Broadway musicals and plays were canceled for Saturday and Sunday, as well as "Zarkana" by Cirque du Soleil at Radio City Music Hall and Lincoln Center Theater's "War Horse." It's the first time Broadway has shut down for an emergency since the blackout in 2003.

The subway system won't reopen until at least Monday, after pumps remove water from flooded stations. Even on a dry day, about 200 pump rooms remove 13 million to 15 million gallons of water that seep into the tunnels deep underground.

About 1.6 million people live in Manhattan, and about 6.8 million live in the city's other four boroughs.

The city's public transit system carries about 5 million passengers on an average weekday, and the entire system has never before been halted because of a natural disaster. It was seriously hobbled by an August 2007 rainstorm that disabled or delayed every one of the city's subway lines. And it was shut down after the 9/11 attacks and during a 2005 strike.

In the past 200 years, New York has seen only a few significant hurricanes. In September 1821, a hurricane raised tides by 13 feet in an hour and flooded the southernmost tip of Manhattan in an area that now includes Wall Street and the World Trade Center memorial. In 1938, a storm dubbed the Long Island Express came ashore about 75 miles east of the city on neighboring Long Island and then hit New England, killing 700 people and leaving 63,000 homeless.
Belligerent Savant

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:52 pm

An gcuirfea fios orm / Would you search me out
Am mbeadh aithne gat orm / Would you recognize me
M’uisci, croi gach crann / My waters, the heart of every tree
An gcuirfea fios orm / Would you look for me

Chuiris cros I lar an bhothair dom / You placed a sign on the road to guide me
Lamh na gcarad in am a ghatair dom / A hand of friendship in a time of need
Feach doimhin isteach id shuile gorm / I look deep into your blue eyes
Eireann, Eireann / Ireland, Ireland

EIRENE (or Irene) was the goddess of peace (eirênê) and of the season of spring (eiar, eiarinos). Late spring was the usual campaign season in Greece when peace was most at risk. Eirene was one of three Horai, goddesses of the seasons and the keepers of the gates of heaven. Her sisters were Eunomia (Order or Good-Pasture) and Dike (Justice).

She was probably identified with the Hora Thallo (Green Shoots), whose name Hesiod gives to Eirene as an epithet in the Theogony. Her opposite number was Polemos (War).

In classical art she usually appears in the company of her two sister Horai bearing the fruits of the seasons. Statues of the goddess represent her as a maiden holding the infant Ploutos (Wealth) in her arms. In this guise she was identified with Demeter and Tykhe.

PARENTS
[1.1] ZEUS & THEMIS (Hesiod Theogony 901, Apollodorus 1.13, Orphic Hymn 43, Hyginus Fab. 183)
[1.2] THEMIS (Pindar Olympian Ode 13)
ENCYCLOPEDIA

EIRE′NE (Eirênê). The goddess of peace. After the victory of Timotheus over the Lacedaemonians, altars were erected to her at Athens at the public expense. (Corn. Nep. Timoth. 2; Plut. Cim. 13.) Her statue at Athens stood by the side of that of Amphiaraus, carrying in its arms Plutus, the god of wealth (Paus. i. 8. § 3), and another stood near that of Hestia in the Prytaneion. (i. 18, § 3.) . At Rome too, where peace (Pax) was worshipped, she had a magnificent temple, which was built by the emperor Vespasian. (Suet. Vespas. 9 ; Paus. vi. 9. § 1.) The figure of Eirene or Pax occurs only on coins, and she is there represented as a youthful female, holding in her left arm a cornucopia and in her right hand an olive branch or the staff of Hermes. Sometimes also she appears in the act of burning a pile of arms, or carrying corn-ears in her hand or upon her head.

Source: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology.

Irene is bringing peace.....hold on it will be a rough start

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby norton ash » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:33 pm

CNN's using that same damn shaky skeleton-dance coffin-knocking music they used for Katrina. Just hearing it made me nervous and kinda sick.

MSNBC gets my mainstream teevee cable network custom from this point onward. Why would CNN want us to flash back to an abomination? (EDIT-- Rhetorical. To rev up the fear factor, of course, because that's what they do.)
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:11 pm

norton ash wrote:CNN's using that same damn shaky skeleton-dance coffin-knocking music they used for Katrina. Just hearing it made me nervous and kinda sick.

MSNBC gets my mainstream teevee cable network custom from this point onward. Why would CNN want us to flash back to an abomination? (EDIT-- Rhetorical. To rev up the fear factor, of course, because that's what they do.)

1 million without power....2 million by tonight MSNBC

Locked Up and Left Behind: Hurricane Irene and the Prisoners on New York’s Rikers Island
AUGUST 26, 2011
tags: Bloomberg, evacuation, Hurricane Irene, Rikers Island
by Jean Casella and James Ridgeway
“We are not evacuating Rikers Island,” Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a news conference this afternoon. Bloomberg annouced a host of extreme measures being taken by New York City in preparation for the arrival of Hurricane Irene, including a shutdown of the public transit system and the unprecedented mandatory evacuation of some 250,000 people from low-lying areas. But in response to a reporter’s question, the mayor stated in no uncertain terms (and with more than a hint of annoyance) that one group of New Yorkers on vulnerable ground will be staying put.

New York City is surrounded by small islands and barrier beaches, and a glance at the city’s evacuation map reveals all of them to be in Zone A (already under a mandatory evacuation order) or Zone B–all, that is, save one. Rikers Island, which lies in the waters between Queens and the Bronx, is not highlighted at all, meaning it is not to be evacuated under any circumstances.

According to the New York City Department of Corrections’ own website, more than three-quarters of Rikers Island’s 400 acres are built on landfill–which is generally thought to be more vulnerable to natural disasters. Its ten jails have a capacity of close to 17,000 inmates, and normally house at least 12,000, including juveniles and large numbers of prisoners with mental illness–not to mention pre-trial detainees who have yet to be convicted of any crime. There are also hundreds of corrections officers at work on the island.

We were not able to reach anyone at the NYC DOC for comment–but the New York Times‘s City Room blog reported: “According to the city’s Department of Correction, no hypothetical evacuation plan for the roughly 12,000 inmates that the facility may house on a given day even exists. Contingencies do exist for smaller-scale relocations from one facility to another.”

For a warning of what can happen to prisoners in a hurricane we need only look back at Katrina, and the horrific conditions endured by inmates at Orleans Parish Prison in New Orleans. According to a report produced by the ACLU:

[A] culture of neglect was evident in the days before Katrina, when the sheriff declared that the prisoners would remain “where they belong,” despite the mayor’s decision to declare the city’s first-ever mandatory evacuation. OPP even accepted prisoners, including juveniles as young as 10, from other facilities to ride out the storm.

As floodwaters rose in the OPP buildings, power was lost, and entire buildings were plunged into darkness. Deputies left their posts wholesale, leaving behind prisoners in locked cells, some standing in sewage-tainted water up to their chests …

Prisoners went days without food, water and ventilation, and deputies admit that they received no emergency training and were entirely unaware of any evacuation plan. Even some prison guards were left locked in at their posts to fend for themselves, unable to provide assistance to prisoners in need.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby eyeno » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:15 pm

norton ash wrote:CNN's using that same damn shaky skeleton-dance coffin-knocking music they used for Katrina. Just hearing it made me nervous and kinda sick.

Government>>> "Without me you would all be rolling in the streets eating your own children. Without me life is not possible. I generate the air you breathe. Without me all is hopeless. I give you hope and never forget it."
eyeno

Postby Luther Blissett » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:00 pm

Our mayor just told us that if the power goes out, prepare for it to be out for two weeks. I'm prepared...but probably not that prepared. It's probably too late to read up on RI's self-sufficiency subforum. Plus I only have like $60 in the bank, so I guess fuck me.

We've had two tornados in the area - one in Vineland NJ and the other in Lewes DE, but no watch or warning for the city for now. All of our local affiliate weathermen are hot messes right now...shirtsleeves rolled up, ties off, buttons undone, talkin' about getting some water and sitting down.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby bks » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:02 pm

some comments from the article SLAD posted:

s permalink
August 26, 2011 6:38 pm
this would never be an ethical or moral choice no matter the offense of the inmate, but in reality, the majority of those in prison have yet to even be convicted and are in fact awaiting trial. so no one can write off these pepole as scum or deserving of this fate.

Left behind victim of murder permalink
August 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Awww. Such a shame for the prisoners. So many people are standing up for them. Comparing them to being treated like animals. Poor, tough luck.
They ARE mostly animals and there is one in side those walls I hope does drown in his own shit filled cell. Get a grip people. It’s RIKER’S ISLAND! The majority of people there are there because it is a MAXIMUM SECURITY PRISON and they have done some thing so terrible that they belong there. It isn’t a vacation and it isn’t somewhere they put petty larceny or silly non violent criminals.
It’s no wonder the country is going down the toilet with every one so soft and sad for the people who add to it’s destruction.

Lisa permalink
August 26, 2011 9:12 pm
My 16year old son sits on Rikers Island…with Juvinelle Diabeties and petrified that he will die on the hell hole Rikers island. When i called and spoke with a Rikers employee…she simply said “oh we good over here”. There is no love or concern for inmates …we have yet to be more outreaged about this and rise up

wanderingenergy permalink
August 26, 2011 10:11 pm
I know someone who is pretrial and detained on Rikers right now, so of course I am worried. Thank you, CWG, for your research, it makes me feel better. The person I know has never killed or raped anyone and would do better with a compassionate (but firm) rehabilitation program than being sent to criminal college (as he calls it) again and again to meet more partners in crime.

CWG permalink
August 26, 2011 9:45 pm
I just checked the topographical data for Rikers and the National Hurricane Center’s storm surge risk profile, and it seems that in the worst-case scenario (if NYC took a direct hit from a category 3 hurricane), parts of Rikers island would flood, but the vast majority of structures would not be at risk. The bulk of the island is about 25′ above sea level, with the eastern part reaching heights of >60′. In a direct hit under a category 3 storm, the island would be at risk of 22′-24′ surges. While that’s not a great safety buffer, both the track of the storm taking it directly over the east river, and the strength of the storm maintaining cat. 3 winds that far up the coast are highly unlikely. That said, it’s very disturbing that the city does not have an island-wide evacuation plan as the unthinkable is (remotely) possible.

Bluefaeryglitter permalink
August 26, 2011 10:13 pm
There are juveniles there & people just waiting for trial that haven’t been convicted of anything at all. There is also petty criminals there for things like drugs & theft. Not to mention the people that work there. I can understand people being less than sympathetic towards violent offenders, but that is only a small portion of the people there.

jeanne permalink
August 27, 2011 12:12 pm
Ummmm… RIker’s is a JAIL, people, not a prison. Which means a goodly number of people housed there are awaiting trial and have not been convicted of anything, were too broke to post bail, are serving a sentence for a misdemeanor or maybe, maybe have been convicted of a felony and are awaiting transfer to a prison. Child rapists and murderers? Hardly.
I’d like to know more about the reasoning that went into the decision before I weigh in. But basically, when the state assumes custody of a person, it assumes responsibility for their safety and well-being, regardless of what a person did or is alleged to do.

James Ridgeway and Jean Casella permalink*
August 27, 2011 1:15 pm
There’s clearly no way that Rikers will be evacuated now — nor could it be done safely at this point, without an evacuation plan. So we don’t necessarily advocate calling the Mayor’s office now (as we know some readers are doing) and demanding Rikers be evacuated today. We understand that some inmates may be moved around on Rikers so that they are on higher ground — hopefully this will be enough to keep them, and the officers who guard them, safe. The point is that there SHOULD be an evacuation plan of some kind, just as there is for the rest of the city, and we hope people will make an issue of this after the immediate crisis has passed.

Brandon permalink
August 27, 2011 1:48 pm
Ok, everyone stop freaking out. As was pointed out a number of times, all the areas of NYC are zoned, and Riker’s Island is not in a zone that is in danger. The storm surge will not reach heights of 20′, and it sounds as if most of Riker’s is at or above that level. The most the waves will be hitting is 6′-8′. Also, landfill island would have bearing if we were talking earthquake (anyone freak out about them then? Probably not, and it sounds as if they were fine). Most of the people at Riker’s are not violent criminals, as has also been stated. It is used for pre-trail, teen detention, 1 year or less convictions and transport hub for criminals going to Sing-Sing or other such locations upstate. That means most of the people there are not there for violent crimes at all. Yes, we get that things like drugs and alcohol can kill, to whoever said that, but they are not violent, pre-meditated crimes, which makes them distinguishable from such crimes as rape and murder. Also, please go look up what this storm is and why people are actually afraid of it, all of you. It’s not that it is a hurricane, but rather that they aren’t sure of how fast, exactly, the winds will be when they hit NYC, potentially causing a fair amount of structural damage (though not to concrete jails, because they’re built to withstand worse), but the real fear, and why this storm is particularly bad, is because of the potential for flooding in low-lying areas, the main reason for evacuating Battery Park and Coney Island, but not Riker’s OR Roosevelt Island. This article, as well intended as it may have been, is very misleading and getting people upset for no reason.
bks

Postby eyeno » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:Our mayor just told us that if the power goes out, prepare for it to be out for two weeks. I'm prepared...but probably not that prepared. It's probably too late to read up on RI's self-sufficiency subforum. Plus I only have like $60 in the bank, so I guess fuck me.

We've had two tornados in the area - one in Vineland NJ and the other in Lewes DE, but no watch or warning for the city for now. All of our local affiliate weathermen are hot messes right now...shirtsleeves rolled up, ties off, buttons undone, talkin' about getting some water and sitting down.

8 pounds of dried beans is cheap. It lasts a lonnnggg time too. Water and fire is all you need to eat it, if you have those.
eyeno

Postby bks » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:
Our mayor just told us that if the power goes out, prepare for it to be out for two weeks. I'm prepared...but probably not that prepared. It's probably too late to read up on RI's self-sufficiency subforum. Plus I only have like $60 in the bank, so I guess fuck me.

If our power is on, Luther [or if its not], you can come stay here with us in Mt. Airy for as long as you need. :)

Wow. My great nephew and his mom evacuated TO Vineland from the Jersey shore, to escape storm surge. :?

Glad I don't have a TV. Rain and wind have really intensified in the last hour. Forecast says the heaviest wind and rain won't start for six more hours, and will continue for eight more after that. Batten down the hatches, and best wishes for safe passage to all in Irene's path.
bks

Postby justdrew » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:40 pm

fairly good live cam with a decent picture...

watch: http://livestre.am/SNpL
listen: http://www.wfmu.org/flash/live/livetest.html
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Luther Blissett » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:10 am

bks wrote:
Luther Blissett wrote:

If our power is on, Luther [or if its not], you can come stay here with us in Mt. Airy for as long as you need. :)

Wow. My great nephew and his mom evacuated TO Vineland from the Jersey shore, to escape storm surge. :?

Glad I don't have a TV. Rain and wind have really intensified in the last hour. Forecast says the heaviest wind and rain won't start for six more hours, and will continue for eight more after that. Batten down the hatches, and best wishes for safe passage to all in Irene's path.

Oh man, thanks. Our first plan is to head to my girlfriend's sister's house in Grey's Ferry first and then head to someone's parents if they don't have power either. I'm legitimately worried by the way Nutter's been talking all night that power will be out by the morning, color me indoctrinated. Are you keeping on top of the tornado warnings sans tv or are you guys already holed up in the basement? Because we just had one an hour ago (rumors of a tornado touching down in CC). Stay safe!
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby nomo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:56 am

Belligerent Savant wrote:Cearly a dry run for future Marshall Law.

It's the perfect exercise. This is an exciting time for the local law enforcement.
nomo

Postby Luther Blissett » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:02 am

nomo wrote:

It's the perfect exercise. This is an exciting time for the local law enforcement.

We have Marines on the streets here.
Luther Blissett

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:12 am

Best of luck to everyone over there. Hope you are all staying safe.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Nordic » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:31 am

nomo wrote:

Pet peeve, perhaps, but it's "martial law". As in "military". Like Court "Martial".

Military law. Marshall Law would be named after somebody named Marshall, like Thurgood Marshall Airport in Baltimore.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion