Angleton and Cheney

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Angleton and Cheney

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:22 am

Agreed with the NSFW perspective of SMC:
http://swedemeat.blogspot.com/2011/11/b ... -past.html

The real story is more spooky than here portrayed. Does anyone believe that Angleton would have conducted a black bag job himself over trifling gossip?
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby zuestorz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:46 pm

MinM wrote: . . . Gerald McKnight has a good take on Angleton and Hoover:
As far as Angleton is concerned his own self-entrapment with Golitsyn and his rapid paranoia about the Russians might have led him to believe that there was a KGB/Castro plot.

My take on this, for whatever its worth, is that Angleton and Hoover were to an extent soul-mates and looked out for each other. This despite the CIA/FBI fearsome rivalry. . .

Angleton cut his teeth in OSS and learnt from his mentors (AWD, WJD) even before the end of WWII, that accommodations with Hoover's FBI were SOP. But soul-mates? :eeyaa

Complicity might have brought them together. And it's fascinating to consider the go-between role William Harvey played. I guess only Harvey himself knew if he was the companys conduit to the FBI or if he was Hoover's agent penetrating the company.

MinM wrote:Towards the end of the J. Edgar Movie there was a scene where Richard Nixon, upon receiving news of his death, orders Bob Haldeman to retrieve Hoover's files . . .

Angleton himself wasted no time in tracking down Mary Pinchot Meyer's memoirs.

Maybe JJA ended up with Marilyn's red diary as well.

Does anyone believe that Angleton would have conducted a black bag job himself over trifling gossip?

Absolutely not. But when the target was 35 filing cabinets worth of Hoover's personal files, the source of his power for forty years, we shouldn't be surprised to see reports from neighbors of an angular, leonine featured, mantis bodied individual directing others to remove boxloads of material from the Hoover-Tolson 30th Street residence.

Noel Twyman's Bloody Treason (pp784-6) draws from the Congressional Inquiry into the Destruction of Former FBI Director J.Edgar Hoover's Files and FBI Recordkeeping; Hearings before a Subcommittee on Government Operations; Official & Confidential (Summers) & J Edgar Hoover:The Man and the Secrets(Gentry)

There is also reason to believe that the most secret files were removed from Hoover's home . . . and taken to the Blue Ridge Club near Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, where John Mohr, an FBI official, and his cronies held poker parties. When Senate investigators decided to inspect the club it burned down the night before their scheduled visit. . . Angleton occassionaly played poker with Mohr and his group at the Blue Ridge Club. . . Mohr denied under oath that he took any of the files from Hoover's 30th Street residence, but he made one exception. He did state that he had removed, ' . . . several boxes of spoiled wine.' When Angleton was questioned on this subject by Curt Gentry in a 1978 telephone interview, he would neither confirm nor deny having picked up any of the files.
When asked if, as rumored, Hoover's derogatory files on (Donovan) had been exchanged for the CIA's investigative files on (Hoover's) alleged homosexuality Angleton laughed and said, " First you have to find out if they're missing." It was an interesting clue, if Angleton meant it as that because most of Hoover's files on Donovan are missing. . .

" I'll tell you one thing," Angleton added with a chuckle, " and this is the last thing I'll tell you. I didn't haul away any spoiled wine."
I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of society but the people themselves
- Thomas Jefferson
zuestorz

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:54 pm

To be clear: I was referring to Meyer's home. So was the link I cited.

Hoover is an utterly different animal, I doubt Angleton would have trusted anyone for that particular job.

I had also never considered the timing of certain "ancient" leaks and contemporary scandals involving the Team B players who would have had access to that treasure trove. Grateful for the brainworm, I'll be chewing on that for awhile.

C.Y.A. uber alles.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby zuestorz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:05 pm

Wombaticus Rex wrote:To be clear: I was referring to Meyer's home. So was the link I cited.

Yes I didn't mean to obscure that.

Wombaticus Rex wrote:Hoover is an utterly different animal, I doubt Angleton would have trusted anyone for that particular job.

Who was Angleton's trusted confidante? None but ghosts I'll bet.

I have to laugh when I think of it. How do you get 35 filing cabinets full of the Director's most classified material out of the Director's Office, out of a Federal Building and into a secure enough place to do some intensive weeding? Yet, like clockwork the confidential records were duly loaded and trucked out to the deceased Director's residence!!

Wombaticus Rex wrote: I had also never considered the timing of certain "ancient" leaks and contemporary scandals involving the Team B players who would have had access to that treasure trove. Grateful for the brainworm, I'll be chewing on that for awhile.

C.Y.A. uber alles.

Your piece on Angleton was superb. Like looking into the faceted eye of a house fly under the microscope. It diverted me (fruitfully as it turns out) from research of those other 'super ancient' people and things. Back to the birth of not a Deep State, but an agglomeration of Deep States (1945-1948).
I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of society but the people themselves
- Thomas Jefferson
zuestorz

Postby Grizzly » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:06 am

Dick Cheney's Clone would be ~10 1/2 years old Today
assuming the procedure was begun on Inauguration Day 2001, and his heart wasn't removed... :bigsmile :wink

I mean, come on, ya gotta laugh at this stuff sometimes, right? You just have to, or the absurdity of it all would drive you bonkers...
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:46 pm

LMFAO: John Stockwell, CIA whistleblower, was born in Angleton, Texas. I was somehow not surprised by that synch.
Wombaticus Rex

Previous

Return to General Discussion