"They won! The Lord is with him..."

Postby chump » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:01 am

Image Image

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/tebow- ... -fans.html

By LANDON HALL / THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

Tim Tebow spotlights religion in sports

Does God want the Broncos to win?

...Whether or not it makes you uncomfortable, religion is an inseparable part of sports; they don't call it a Hail Mary for nothing. How else to explain Michigan State's ridiculous last-second victory over Wisconsin on Saturday?

That brings us to Tim Tebow, and whether something not of this world is playing a role in his young NFL career. Tebow, the second-year quarterback for the Denver Broncos, has divided fans like few other players. He's been outspoken about his Christian views, and his fans love the tenacity and relentless optimism that helped him win two national titles and a Heisman Trophy at Florida.

Is he bringing the same kind of magic to Denver? After a monthslong QB controversy, coach John Fox benched starter Kyle Orton and put in Tebow, essentially giving in to the will of the fans. Tebow was horrendous during the Broncos' game at Miami on Sunday, and then ... somehow, some way, he led his team back from 15-0 down to beat the Dolphins 18-15 on an overtime field goal by Matt Prater.
Is Tebow a real NFL quarterback? He may not be built to last in the league, but right now he's extraordinarily popular. His No. 15 jersey is a hot seller, particular in the women's version. And on Monday he was trending all over the Internet. Now we see that a pair of game pants he wore during his first game are on eBay, with the price up to $4,999.99...

----------
http://www.religiondispatches.org/archi ... ant_saint/

Tim Tebow, Protestant Saint When the myth fits... By Sean S. O'Neil
Yesterday, my mother called me in a panic. “Who won the game?!” I am looking online right now and I see that it is tied at fifteen, but I don’t know if that is a live feed. “Is it over?” Her voice was quivering with anxiety and guilt: “I was having lunch with your uncle—I forgot the game was on!” My mother waited with bated breath to hear if her favorite NFL quarterback—indeed, probably the only NFL quarterback in history she could name—had come through in his first and much anticipated start of the 2011-12 Denver Broncos season.

My mother might not be Tim Tebow’s most typical fan, but she shares many traits with the growing throngs of people who make up his already vast fan base. She breaks the mold in terms of geography and football knowledge. She is from Canada, not the American South, and before I started attending the University of Florida as a doctoral student in religion, she had never been concerned with anyone’s “throwing accuracy,” nor would she have known that it is tough for a running quarterback to make it in the passing-dominated NFL. She is, though, an evangelical Christian and that qualifies her for Tebowmania—even if only via internet connections in Canada.

Evangelical Protestants have historically opposed the idea of sainthood à la Roman Catholicism or Eastern Orthodoxy. Even people who aren’t familiar with all the historical and theological particulars of the Reformation—that 16th-century historical movement that led some eager Protestants to smash images of saints with bellowing cries against “idolatry”—know that many Protestants are quite selective with religious images. Protestants have been especially wary of images of saints because this visual piety strikes them as an affront to a God who they claim demands singular worship and relationship. A crowd of visual intermediaries, as the iconoclastic Protestant logic goes, could muddle the face of Jesus; the only image some Protestants will display in their homes and churches.
But then there’s Tim Tebow, a man with patent strengths and glaring football weakness; a man who fits the last-shall-be-first theme of so many stories about saints.

Doubters said Tebow would never be selected in the first round of the NFL draft. He was chosen in the first round anyway. Still, the coach, Josh McDaniel, was fired after Tebow’s rookie season and Tebow was unceremoniously benched under the helm of current coach, John Fox, for the first four games of Tebow’s second season; that is, until Fox finally seemed to relent to unyielding cries from the Tebow-faithful in Denver. Fox inserted Tebow in the second half of their fourth game as the Broncos trailed the Chargers by fourteen. Tebow led a crazy, sprawling comeback that fell just short of victory, but ended with a crescendo of Bronco praise: “Tebow! Tebow!”

Yesterday, against the hapless Miami Dolphins who were 0 and 5 going into the game, Tebow started and spent three quarters playing the before role in the saint narrative. Throwing errant passes, misreading defensive coverage, and threatening to leave the Broncos with their first scoreless game since 1992, he looked weak and bewildered. With a little over two minutes left, all heaven broke loose. In myths, the importance of story dwarves the historical sequence, which, in this case, is that Tebow won! What some have deemed (quite loosely, I might add) a “miracle” included two Tebow tosses for touchdowns, a Tebow run for a two-point conversion, a successful onside kick (that almost never happens in the NFL), and a Dolphin’s sack-fumble. Overtime included a 52-yard field goal, which brought the Broncos their 18-15 win.

Tebow seemed to have an uncanny sense that the camera had caught him when he ceremonially genuflected. The difference between his gesture and other athletic signals to the divine, however, is that Tebow has made clear in every bestselling book (he just has one so far, at the age of 23) and every interview he gives that his devotion is particular: that Jesus Christ is his “Lord and Savior.” Evangelicals like my mother don’t need that text anymore to perceive something divine in his continuingly improbable story. Like evangelicals around the globe, she has an abundant archive of internet footage to download at her convenience as a visual reminder that her personal stories of comeback and belief are part of a broader narrative in which God helps the underdog in this life. Find a Catholic or Eastern Orthodox Christian and they will tell you that this is what saints and icons have done all along.
My mom called me back after her first anxious call. With calm assurance, she said, “They won. The Lord is with him, Sean.” And also with you.

-----------
http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakland ... t-kid.html

I'm not sure if anyone was able to see this on TV, but when Langston Walker got injured:
Tim Tebow ran off the bench, went up to see Langston, got on one knee and started praying for him (Pictured below)

Now I hate the Broncos but there is much more to the game of football. I admire what Tebow did and the league needs more players like him! He earned my respect today!

* Photo courtesy of Raiderfans.net PREMIUM

-----------
http://www.kwgn.com/news/kdvr-colorado- ... 7710.story

"It's not my thing, and I don't think it has anything to do with football, said Tess Eklund. But the Broncos fan says to each his own." As long as he wins some games, that's all that matters, " Eklund said.
chump

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: "They won! The Lord is with him..."

Postby 82_28 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:50 am

Dude, you did not just put up a Tebow post on RI now did you? Jesus. Now I've gotta get in on the act. That was one weird win on Sunday -- one could even say he did have the Lord with him. He's an odd player on the field and an odd uber Christian celebrity off. Not an hour goes by that ESPN doesn't have some mention of him these past three weeks.

I like him though. I'm old enough, my hardcore atheist years are well behind me and I'm a big enough Broncos fan that I can truly say I like the kid and can't wait to see if he really can do it whether or not he's a primetime bible thumper.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby MinM » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:02 am

The Hamiltons In Jesusland - Josh Hamilton - Deadspin
Josh and Katie Hamilton's salvation story is taking place in North Texas, where for many folks Christianity and sports dovetail at an early age. Here, life shuttles continually between the Friday night lights and the Sunday morning pulpits, and the constant Bible-thumping begins to sound a little like the beat of the world's biggest drum.

I grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth Jesusplex, and I can confirm that sports here — from Little League to the pros — are infused with the Good Word. When I was about 12, for instance, the third baseman for my fastpitch softball team got smacked in the noggin by a line drive — after she had crept even closer to the batter in case of a bunt. Her dad — our first-base coach — responded by laying hands on her and praying.

Then there are the Cowboys, once helmed by famous savior-lover Tom Landry, who once proclaimed on national TV, "You have to believe in Jesus Christ to play for the Dallas Cowboys." The edict may still hold-years later Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin sat at the feet of Dallas preacher T.D. Jakes, the devil-fighter whose "prosperity theology" posits bling as God's blessing. The new Cowboys Stadium is home to "I Am Second" acolytes like Jason Witten (who by the way, might have the most boring testimony on the face of the earth).

Cowboys Stadium sits a stone's throw from Hamilton's domain, Rangers Ballpark. And both mega-stadiums are plopped in the middle of Arlington, home to clusters of mega-churches the size of shopping malls. The Hamiltons' saga is taking place in the midst of Jesusland, and because of that, it's playing out in a unique way...

http://deadspin.com/5337640/the-hamiltons-in-jesusland

http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/ ... 75#p282075

God's favorite teams are faring pretty well right now. God-boy Josh Hamilton and Dubya's Texas Rangers are poised to win the World Series tonight.

At least we can take some solace in watching a Glenn Beck devotee (Tony LaRussa) go down in flames.

norton ash wrote:Beck and these teabagger shitbags have MILLION$$ backing them.

Meet the Koch brothers. And weep.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010 ... z0xdz60BIQ

http://twitter.com/buzzbissinger/status/22477000525
Buzz Bissinger wrote:Beck like Hitler also had the backing of rich industrialists (the Koch brothers) supporting him for their own agenda.

http://twitter.com/buzzbissinger/status/22477454938
Buzz Bissinger wrote:Folks, read your history. Beck is egomaniac, but smart egomaniac like Hitler. As economy worsens he will only gain more followers.

http://twitter.com/buzzbissinger/status/22476865927
Buzz Bissinger wrote:But like Beck he had the power of rhetoric. He capitalized in a terrible economy just like Beck. they both smell the fear of the masses.

via :: LaRussa & Pujols Attend the Glenn Beck Rally, Buzz Bissinger Stews as St. Louis Cardinals’ Season Burns | The Big Lead

http://deadspin.com/5623743/tony-la-rus ... he-problem

http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/ ... 84#p354784

http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/ ... 02#p316902
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby Nordic » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:18 pm

He's letting down millions of football fans who live vicariously through their sports heroes. You see, if you're able to live the fantasy, that fantasy involves pussy. The world's best pussy. And lots of it, but where where you can perhaps settle down with the world's number one supermodel and knock her up. You know, like Tom Brady.

Maybe Tebow is gay. That would explain a lot.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby barracuda » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:37 pm

Excuse me, but I thought everyone knew that Jesus was a Raiders fan.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby wordspeak2 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:48 pm

Maybe Tebow is gay. That would explain a lot.[/quote]

Now, there's a theory. He's got a gayish look.
wordspeak2

Postby norton ash » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:52 pm

If the Rangers win the World Series, Beelzebub will dance. Arlington is such a tainted Bush Family snakepit.

Which is why they are pitted against the crypto-Catholic 'Cardinals' as funded by the Black Pope in this significant Samhain pandemonium.

Today's CNN question: Would Jesus Occupy Wall Street?
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Nordic » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:23 pm

norton ash wrote:If the Rangers win the World Series, Beelzebub will dance. Arlington is such a tainted Bush Family snakepit.

Which is why they are pitted against the crypto-Catholic 'Cardinals' as funded by the Black Pope in this significant Samhain pandemonium.

Today's CNN question: Would Jesus Occupy Wall Street?

Does the Pope shit in the woods?
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby 82_28 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:57 pm

You know, Tebow could very well be gay. I'd never thought about it before because it's something I don't care about whatsoever. But thinking back to the last interview in the locker room I saw on TV, he very well might be -- he had all the tell tale tells. I think it would be cool if a previously evangelical Christian who plays in the NFL, won the Heisman etc, winds up coming out during his career and makes it just as public as his religion was and continues to play a "man's mans sport".

End of day though, I just wish the Broncos would start winning again.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby chump » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:00 pm

=============
Lets face it boys. The Broncos got the hottest locker room in the leaque.
Image Image
brady quinn

And he does seem to get along with the fellas.

But he seems to get along with the girls too.
Image Image

Image Image

Madison Avenue can market him many ways, but my guess is that he's saving himself until he's married.

http://tebowhaters.com/

=============
chump

Postby freemason9 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:18 pm

82_28 wrote:You know, Tebow could very well be gay. I'd never thought about it before because it's something I don't care about whatsoever. But thinking back to the last interview in the locker room I saw on TV, he very well might be -- he had all the tell tale tells. I think it would be cool if a previously evangelical Christian who plays in the NFL, won the Heisman etc, winds up coming out during his career and makes it just as public as his religion was and continues to play a "man's mans sport".

Wait, you think he might be gay because he (1) is fit, (2) dresses well, (3) is handsome, and (4) isn't a hooligan? This might say more about y'all than it does about Tebow.

Personally, I respect the dude. He abides.
The real issue is that there is extremely low likelihood that the speculations of the untrained, on a topic almost pathologically riddled by dynamic considerations and feedback effects, will offer anything new.
freemason9

Postby 82_28 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:31 am

freemason9 wrote:
82_28 wrote:You know, Tebow could very well be gay. I'd never thought about it before because it's something I don't care about whatsoever. But thinking back to the last interview in the locker room I saw on TV, he very well might be -- he had all the tell tale tells. I think it would be cool if a previously evangelical Christian who plays in the NFL, won the Heisman etc, winds up coming out during his career and makes it just as public as his religion was and continues to play a "man's mans sport".

Wait, you think he might be gay because he (1) is fit, (2) dresses well, (3) is handsome, and (4) isn't a hooligan? This might say more about y'all than it does about Tebow.

Personally, I respect the dude. He abides.

No, bro. Because actually as an idiot who bleeds orange and has all his life, I would love to see a fucking winning Broncos team again. And since us Denver fans have been acclimated to QB importance, and that I am an all inclusive leftie, I think it would be sweet if Tebow was gay. And even if he's not, I don't give a shit, as long as he wins. And no, bro, I said that because I chill with kids who strive to be, and have for years, just as athletic as he (not as successfully mind you), but maintain this strict ass christian bullshit but also happen to seem gay in the sense of all the other gay friends I have. One would think I was gay perhaps sometimes. Except I'm not. But I'd still kiss a man if I loved him. And I also don't give a fuck if you think me, OR Tim Tebow are. I respect the motherfucker too. He's also my QB, not yours. Unless you're suddenly a Broncos fan.

I wanna see the Broncos win and I especially want to behind a quirky left handed QB who puts bible verses under his eyes and may or may not be gay.

Go Donks!
82_28

Postby DoYouEverWonder » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:57 am

Does that mean the Lord wasn't with him all the times he loses?

BTW: Tebow - definitely not gay. Nice home schooled kid but according to other kids in his college classes, 'dumb as a box of rocks.' I think his parents were missionaries.
DoYouEverWonder

Postby chump » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:26 am

DoYouEverWonder wrote:"They won! The Lord is with him..."

BTW: Tebow - definitely not gay. Nice home schooled kid but according to other kids in his college classes, 'dumb as a box of rocks.' I think his parents were missionaries.

Of course! But the fans wouldn't be with him if he loses. Furthermore, if he can play, who cares if he's gay! He can even pray.
He could even become President if He wins!

How many books have those other kids written?
chump

Postby 82_28 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:27 pm

chump wrote:
DoYouEverWonder wrote:"They won! The Lord is with him..."

Of course! But the fans wouldn't be with him if he loses. Furthermore, if he can play, who cares if he's gay! He can even pray.
He could even become President if He wins!

How many books have those other kids written?

That's one of the most fucked up things about sports and politics. John Elway is a deplorable rich ass right winger and yet I still love him. I guess it's akin to those people who worshiped dubya etc, except mine is strictly sports not politics, when they would say things like dubya could go on TV and eat a live puppy and his "constituency" would love him even more. God no, I am not that bad, but Elway is one of those figures you can hate or love. It also belies the belief that sports people are "examples". I grew up loving the guy, simply for his game, not his off the field right-wing activities he went on to espouse. And I'm also happy having Elway in the Broncos' front office. Shows he's a Broncos' fan to this day, like me. He just makes money doing it. But my memories of him are second to none in some cases. I know, it really makes no sense, even to me. Like I said, I bleed orange and yes, it's the dumbest thing in the world, but it's the way I was raised. Sundays are like the only day I talk to both mom and dad invariably and many friends who I haven't seen in years. There has to be a Broncos game though.
82_28

Next

Return to General Discussion