Blackwater, late called Xe, become Academi

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Blackwater, late called Xe, become Academi

Postby Stephen Morgan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:35 pm

http://soldiersystems.net/2011/12/12/an ... s-academi/

That is one bitchin', pimp-ass name.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Re: Blackwater, late called Xe, become Academi

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:26 pm

Stephen Morgan wrote:http://soldiersystems.net/2011/12/12/and-then-they-were-known-as-academi/

That is one bitchin', pimp-ass name.

A name that makes one feel all warm and fuzzy when incarcerated
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby AlicetheKurious » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:54 pm

That's funny: I thought the thread title was too long, so it was cut off, and that the new name was "Academic" something or other. But I get it: Academi is harmless-sounding and cute, like Candi, Cindi, Demi, etc.
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:39 pm

What is wrong with this company (besides everything it does)? But wtf? Academi?

I thought it was cut off too. Cute.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:24 pm

=First on CNN: Blackwater gets an even bigger makeover
By Suzanne Kelly, CNN

Editor's note: Watch Erin Burnett's exclusive interview with Academi CEO Ted Wright on OutFront. Monday night 7pET.

Suzanne Kelly Simons is a CNN Senior National Security Correspondent and author of Master of War: Blackwater USA's Erik Prince and the Business of War

The company once known as the world's most notorious private security contractor, Blackwater, is changing its name and its look once again in a bid to prove that it has outgrown its toxic reputation.

Renaming the company "ACADEMI" tops a number of changes that have been made by a private equity consortium that purchased the company from former owner Erik Prince last year.

"The message here is not that we're changing the name," said Ted Wright, who came on as the new company CEO in June. "The message is that we're changing the company, and the name just reflects those changes. We have new owners, a new board of directors, a new management team, new location, new attitude on governance, new openness, new strategy - it's a whole new company."

Blackwater was dogged by controversy as it rose from a training facility in Moyock, North Carolina, in the late '90s, to a private security powerhouse at the height of the war in Iraq. But as business boomed, so did the demand for growth, and rules regarding issues like compliance and governance were sometimes not followed. There were also accusations that some Blackwater guards operating in Iraq's virtually lawless environment were heavy-handed, and then a deadly shooting in a Baghdad traffic circle in 2007 was the beginning of the end for the company.

Prince tried changing the Blackwater name to Xe, before selling it late last year to the group of investors led by Jason DeYonker, a managing partner at Forte Capital Advisors, and Dean Bosacki, managing partner of Manhattan Partners. The other investing partners remain anonymous.

Prince has an earn-out agreement over a set number of years, meaning he will continue to be paid on Academi's business, but Wright says "the agreement is for a finite period, a significant portion of which has already passed." Wright insists that Prince has nothing to do with the day-to-day running of the company. In fact, he says he's never even met Erik Prince.

The damage to Blackwater's reputation after the Nisoor Square shooting in Baghdad was bad for business. The company lost its most lucrative contract with the State Department and today only brings in about a third of the revenue it once did.

While Prince was the sole owner of Blackwater and answered to no one, the new company has formed a board of directors, headed by businessman Red McCombs. He was joined earlier this year by former Attorney General John Ashcroft and retired Adm. Bobby Inman, former director of the National Security Agency and former deputy director of the CIA. Most of the executive suites from the Blackwater days were cleared out, and the last major change to be announced was Wright's hiring from fellow government contractor KBR in June.

Wright now has the unenviable task of changing the minds of those who became passionate Blackwater-haters, some of them are members of Congress, which has oversight control over the company's government clients.

Changing the company's reputation, or rather creating a new one, will be one challenge. Building new business will be another. There is little likelihood that ACADEMI will ever achieve the profits that Blackwater did at its peak while protecting State Department personnel in Iraq, but Wright says he isn't worried.

"I don't know what the biggest year this company had was, 900 million (dollars) or something like that, and we're doing about 300 million," said Wright from his new high rise headquarter office in Arlington, Virginia. "I don't have to get up to that 900 million to be valuable on the earnings side."

Wright would like to double the training side of the business. His company boasts one of the country's largest, most well-equipped training facilities, located in Moyock, in sparsely populated northeastern North Carolina. He's also exploring new business opportunities when it comes to certifying bodyguards for high net-worth individuals, such as celebrities or executives. He'd also like to expand the company's number of commercial clients such as oil and gas companies, and insurers who do business in dangerous parts of the world.

"Hopefully we can reduce insurance rates for their clients so that they can bring us on as an offering to say, 'Hey listen, go use these people, they're gonna come and do an assessment for you and they're gonna improve your security environment and your insurance rates will go down," said Wright.

Today, most of Academi's clients come from the government sector, so it's important to Wright that those government clients acknowledge the changes the company has made, starting with the name.

"The only thing I had to convince them of is that this wasn't a Blackwater-to-Xe change," said Wright, implying that the first time then-owner Prince changed the company name, it was a change in name only. "This was a Xe to Academi change."

Wright's true measure of success will be whether he can eventually bid for business in Iraq again. When the team of Blackwater guards opened fire in that Baghdad traffic circle in 2007, killing 17 Iraqi civilians, the Iraqi government banned Blackwater from operating in the country.

"The day I'm allowed to do business in Iraq will be success," said Wright. "If the government of Iraq let's us do business there again, you know we've been successful."

The higher that the monkey can climb
The more he shows his tail
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Simulist » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:20 pm

AlicetheKurious wrote:That's funny: I thought the thread title was too long, so it was cut off, and that the new name was "Academic" something or other. But I get it: Academi is harmless-sounding and cute, like Candi, Cindi, Demi, etc.

Or Gandhi--!!!

And, yeah, Alice. When I first saw this, I'd assumed the name had been truncated, too.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby The Consul » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:47 pm

Eric Prince will realize the genius of his name sake's marketing dexterity and eventually change the name to an unpronounceable symbol. Logolike a dead peasant in a ditch clutching an empty bottle of pepsi. His mercenaries can wear advertising patches like the stock car racers. They'll lay down heavy suppressive fire and ask over the bullhorn...you want fries with that?

Or perhaps they can just change it to AKA. Americans Killing Arabs.
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby Simulist » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:55 pm

You can rename a pig, and call it a swan.

But it's still a pig.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby norton ash » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:58 pm

How about MyGoons? ThugsOnCall? FullMetalJackoffs?

Murder, Inc. and Thievery Corporation were taken.

Synonyms: bedlam, booby hatch, bughouse, funny farm, insane asylum, laughing academy, lunatic asylum, madhouse

Laughin Academi. All the way to the bank.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby barracuda » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:03 am

Simulist wrote: I'd assumed the name had been truncated, too.

Not me. I'm ashamed to admit I've been on brand development teams in charge of designing corporate monikers, and about one-quarter of the six-hundred or so we'd put forward in the rough cut to the client usually ended in a vowel, mostly "i". Why? The "i" ending is friendli and somewhat effeminati, has a high-techi look to it, and quickly renders most any word remarkabli trademark-able. In other words, it is the standard, easy way to approach a corporate name that you don't want to really mean anything at all. Personally, I think this name could have been made even a shade more lame if they had really, really tried by demanding within the usage standards that it must always be printed lowercase:

academi™ - we kill people

Needs a better tagline, though, for market positioning.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:17 am

larceni

butcheri
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:19 am

mercenari
we want your moni
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby The Consul » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:29 am

Gestapi
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:36 am

barracuda wrote:Needs a better tagline, though, for market positioning.

academi™
school's been blown to pieces

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Elvis » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:48 am

Ted Wright, president and chief executive officer, said Monday that the choice of the name Academi reflects an intent to refocus on training.

"We chose the name because we want to let people know that part of our strategy is to lead with training and focus on training," Wright said.

The word "academy" is traceable to a school run by the ancient Greek philosopher Plato.

"Excellence, dignity, discipline, honor, integrity," Wright said. "That's the ethos that we want this company to have."
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/12/first-blackwater-then-xe-now-company-academi

So, these guys are gonna be like teaching philosophy 'n shit.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Next

Return to General Discussion