The Syria Thread 2011 - Present

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: US troops surround Syria on the eve of invasion?

Postby kool maudit » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:07 am

American Dream » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:01 pm wrote:Realpolitik has a certain internal logic but seems to end up condoning mass murder, again and again. I'm a grassroots person and I want to help build a grassroots movement that eschews both #1 set of murderous/controlling bosses as well as #2 set of murderous/controlling bosses. Right now, the bosses in various nations are going to do what they want, so it's most important to build a movement based on generally good principles, which the (alleged) Right/Left fusion people are extremely lacking in.

I think the difference in our communication styles may be in part due to your activist/movement-centred worldview.

I am just a writer/journalist and all I want is to understand what's going on, with some potential opining.

I do not want to build or be part of any movement, and comprehending the world is my goal, not changing it in any structural way beyond the small and local change that happens when you discover and share truths.
kool maudit

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Sounder » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:12 am

AD wrote...
I apologize if I offended you personally.

If so, then you will stop with the false labeling and instead deal with the points as presented.

I agree with you about American weapons- they kill people. So do those from the Gulf States, Iran, Russia and everywhere else. I support the refugees and those caught in the crossfire, et al.

You support the idea of having enemies. The Gulf States are western proxies and Russia and Iran were invited to defend the integrity of a sovereign nation. Also, your support of the refugees rings hollow because you support the bombs and violence that made them refugees.

I don't want to fight with you, so I'm going to let it go at that.

Yes you do want to fight with me, you just don't want to lose. So you must run away and not deal with the logical points previously made.

Westerners have no standing to manufacture their desired future for other nations. These things are expressions of pathology, and never about enlightened leadership or creating better futures for downtrodden masses.

Unfortunately, those that live their lives dreaming of a better future, after awhile turn their dreams into delusions and really, really do not want to be woken up to see their dream as the nightmare that it is.

"No Borders" is but one example of this nightmare presented as a dream.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby tapitsbo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:35 pm

The "White Helmets" group supported by a wide swath of official bodies in the West and beyond is now issuing ultimatums that have to be met in order for repairs to the Damascus water supply (currently rigged with explosives) to be allowed.

We already know they're associated with the "jihadist" militias but this is really blatant.

Of course media like the NYTimes are claiming it's unclear who has damaged the water supply.

If we're going to believe the Syrian government is responsible then we would have to believe an elaborate conspiracy theory about the White Helmets secretly working for the Assad government. Yeah, no.

Interesting that audio was just leaked of John Kerry saying "no" to these groups. The Turkish/Gulf-backed opposition that would have been given a free hand by a Clinton win is telling him they want US assistance but they don't want the oversight of the "international community".

Interesting resonance with Trump/Netanyahu's angry gestures about the UN.

The UN has by no means been as partisan as the groups trying to overthrow the Syrian government, but the UN has still played a dodgy/questionable role in the conflict of course.

Let's hope Turkey keeps drifting towards a winding down of the war and reconciliation with its opponents.
Last edited by tapitsbo on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tapitsbo

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Just got sent a link to this 18-minute video, haven't watched it yet:

"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Elvis » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:34 pm

MacCruiskeen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:00 pm wrote:Just got sent a link to this 18-minute video, haven't watched it yet:

I just watched it. It's excellent. Thanks!
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Here's a sad implicit confession.

Pro-revolutionary Syrian site with an article on how everyone is talking about how Aleppo was liberated from terrorists and has forgotten that there was a revolution. See the honest bolded parts.

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/Comme ... utionaries

Loubna Mrie

Aleppo's forgotten revolutionaries

In journalism and on social media, I often come across a narrative - from the Syrian regime's most ardent supporters, to even those who acknowledge its oppressive nature - asserting that the Assad regime is fighting a war against vile, extremist, Al-Qaeda-like organisations.

The ignorant simplicity of this argument became clear after the fall of rebel-held eastern Aleppo.

The city was often portrayed as the epicentre of a jihadi insurgency liberated by the national army. Many ostensibly left-wing individuals worldwide even went so far as to celebrate this as "liberation".

This narrative is especially frustrating as it completely ignores the history of revolutionary Aleppo. On most blogs and Twitter timelines, the revolutionary icons of government-held western Aleppo are never mentioned.

There were many activists against the government, later detained and kidnapped by extremist groups, who are left out of the conversation.

When so-called experts write about eastern Aleppo, they may feel compelled to begin the conversation as though the war had started in 2016, when the supposedly "good", "secular" government liberated Aleppo from extremists.

The story of east Aleppo and the revolutionary icons who struggled there between 2012 and 2014 is almost completely ignored.

Indeed, there are countless icons of the Syrian revolution who have been ignored and erased from history in the western media. [and based on this article, murdered by jihadis before they were erased in the western media]

On most blogs and Twitter timelines, the revolutionary icons of government-held western Aleppo are never mentioned

Unlike the acts of extremists Islamic State (IS), and Jabhat Nusra, the actual words and deeds of Syria's forgotten revolutionaries have rarely been translated and broadcast by the western media. Abo Mariam and Abdul Wahab Mulla are two Syrians who even educated readers have probably never heard of.

Abo Mariam was the main voice of eastern Aleppo, alongside his little brother, Aboud. He was known for his critical slogans against both extremists and the Assad regime. Hundreds of people used to gather around him in demonstrations, echoing his chants against the government and extremism, and his calls for justice for all.

Foreign journalists who visited Aleppo during the summer of 2012 will agree that these demonstrations were the soul of Bustan Al-Kasr and eastern Aleppo.

Later in 2013, during one of the protests, Abo Mariam was filmed taking down a banner that read "The people want an Islamic state" amid chants of support from his fellow protestors. Abo Mariam disappeared shortly thereafter, prompting days of protests outside of Jabhat Al-Nusra headquarters, demanding his release. There has been no news of his whereabouts to this day.

Secondly, Abdul Wahab Al Mulla had a YouTube show, which fortunately is still accessible online. Abdul Wahab's show titled, "Three Stars Revolution," was a channel through which he would criticise the violations of various rebel groups and remind people of the original aims of the Syrian uprising. His show had thousands of viewers, and he was considered a true icon.

In November 2013, armed masked men broke into Abdul Wahab Al Mulla's house and took him away.

For Syrians, these are the revolutionary icons of eastern Aleppo. They will always be remembered as heroes who represented what the Syrian uprising‫ stood for. By contrast, they will be completely ignored by almost anyone watching Aleppo through the lens of mainstream coverage.

It is true that JFS played vital role in breaking the last siege of eastern Aleppo, but can you really blame the civilians who celebrated the breaking of the siege? Can we blame the father who welcomes the devil just to not see his children starve to death, when it is the government that is imposing siege on its own people?

It is also rather unjust to mention Al-Qaeda and other extremist groups without mentioning those who stood against them.

Sadly the western press will ignore the sacrifice made by activists like Abdul Wahab and Abo Mariam, while continuing to give a voice to Jabhat Al Nusra, now known as Jabhat Fateh Al Sham (JFS), who not only harassed many secular activists and pushed them out, but hijacked the uprising
by taking advantage of the starvation and suffering imposed by Assad government.

What about the rebels?

When referring to Aleppo, the Free Syrian Army is often put in the same category as that of Al Qaeda without mentioning that they were the first force that fought Al Qaeda and IS back in 2013 in eastern Aleppo. [Who won?] Most of today's so-called experts are blind to this fundamental historical point.

For us, freedom and dignity means opposing all tyrannies, opposing all the forces who threatened Abo Mariam and his peaceful chants

In late 2013, over 30 activists and rebels were killed in IS jails in Aleppo. A whole group of medics, documented by name, were excuted by Islamic State fighters before Syrian rebels seized their military bases. Human rights organisations covered this, but only a fraction of mainstream media outlets paid any notice.

The rebels later continued to Idlib, forcing IS to withdraw to Raqqa, Bab and Manbij. IS also lost their territory in Aleppo and the outskirts of Lattakia; causing Raqqa to become the 'capital' of their caliphate. It's very important to remember that the first battle against IS took place in eastern Aleppo, and that the first victory against IS by the rebels took place there.

However, for some reason, the mainstream media gives a disproportionate amount of coverage to the PKK-affiliated YPG and Kobane when describing early battles against IS.

The Free Syrian Army and the activists who were detained and killed are, once again, out of the equation.

There is a great distance between those of us who witnessed the revolution, and those who refuse to acknowledge that our revolution was a true uprising, where many people sacrificed their lives fighting against extremists and the government.

For us, freedom and dignity means opposing all tyrannies, opposing all the forces who threatened Abo Mariam and his peaceful chants. Once again, these voices are simply brushed aside, and our icons are not mentioned by any of the so-called experts who are preoccupied with telling their readers about an amorphous conspiracy against Assad.

These people who lived in Aleppo's revolution truly are heroes - standing up against both extremists and the Assad government

If only those who spend hours trolling Bana Al-Abed on Twitter would speak to activists and civilians from eastern Aleppo and give them a platform to speak about what went wrong, we would know that these people who lived in Aleppo's revolution truly are heroes - standing up against both extremists and the Assad government.

These activists routinely condemned every rebel-attack on government-held areas resulting in the deaths of innocent civilians and demanded accountability for all war crimes.

Not only do the Assad regime, JFS and their extremist allies censor these voices, but they are omitted by those who, to this day, still do not believe that Syria had a true, organic uprising.

The narrative claiming that these icons are CIA agents, extremists or simply non-existent, is quite convenient for people who aren't interested in learning the history of our uprising or confronting the amount of innocent blood spilled in crushing it.

And for foreign journalists who spent time with these activists, fixers, and citizen journalists: [but not in the last years, as is well known, because the jihadis made eastern Aleppo too dangerous for any outside journalists] Writing about those people in western Aleppo is the least they can do.

(last sentence sure: eastern)
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:30 pm

What a weird performance that article is. She uses words like "revolution", "revolutionary icons", and "activists" about three times in every paragraph, yet not once does she even begin to say what any of these alleged revolutionaries actually wanted or stood for. It's entirely content-free.

This narrative is especially frustrating as it completely ignores the history of revolutionary Aleppo. [Which is...?]On most blogs and Twitter timelines, the revolutionary icons of government-held western Aleppo are never mentioned.

Never mind the icons, tell us about the "revolution"! And what kind of revolutionary goes on about "icons" anyway? This is marketing-talk.

Who is Loubna Mrie?

Loubna Mrie is a Syrian activist [What?] who participated in the initial stages of the revolution. [In what capacity? To what end? ] She later [How?] became a photojournalist with Reuters where she covered the ongoing conflict.

She is currently based in New York City where she is a researcher and commentator on Syrian and Middle Eastern affairs and is completing an MA at NYU. Her work has been published in major outlets including the Washington Post, Foreign Affairs, Foreign Policy, and New Republic.

Follow her on Twitter: @loubnamrie

That's quite a cv for a very young woman, particularly for a very young writer, especially for a writer whose native language is presumably (?) not English but Arabic, and most especially for one whose "asylum status here is still 'pending''". Her work has already been published by Reuters, WaPo, Foreign Affairs, Foreign Policy, and New Republic. So what kind of revolution would they be interested in promoting?

"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:56 pm

BBC: Syria accuses Israel of bombarding an area west of Damascus, with reports of a military airport being hit

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38605860

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:17 pm

The article is interesting again for its admission of what happened. Whether or not the people who originally led and inspired the rebellion in Aleppo were justified, whether or not they were revolutionary, or in what sense, is not the point, although the author labors to say that it is. However, the article doesn't say these people died from Syrian or Russian air force bombs. It doesn't say Assad killed them. In spite of its attempted thesis, the details tell a different story. In the course of 2012-2014, the secular rebels were murdered, rounded up and executed, sent fleeing, worn down through attrition and finally defeated and replaced, not by SAA but by successive jihadi extremist incursions into eastern Aleppo. First Daesh, then Nusra, and then whatever re-brandings followed. The author herself appears to have been among those forced to flee. It's enough to take her at her word, because according to her the original rebels were dead or gone by 2016. I expect many of them are among the refugees outside the country (one reason RT, a very famous propaganda network out of hundreds of them on TV, runs constant EU anti-refugee stories, alongside its mostly excellent coverage of U.S. news). The implicit admission of this article is that the armed elements recently defeated and driven out of Aleppo by the Syrian army were international jihadists, and not the original "moderate" rebels the author seeks to valorize.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby Sounder » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:55 am

All true and well said Jack.

The following illustrates the lack of respect that American officials show toward these (peacemakers) invested in their people and country.

http://www.activistpost.com/2017/01/gra ... s-lie.html

Transcript:
My words now, do they work inside this room, do they offer any benefit just inside this room? Yes, when I talk to people that will convey it outside this room. And you should tell people there is nothing as a religious state. There is nothing as such or there shouldn’t be anything like an Islamic state, or a Christian state or Jewish state, any state if it encompasses people, human beings live in states. So, a religious state is an idea of politicians not prophets, prophets created nations, created human beings not states. For example they created the Jewish nation, not the Jewish state. A Christian nation, a Muslim nation and these three nations should live altogether as brothers. In Aleppo there was a Jewish Synagogue, no one from the Jewish house stayed in Aleppo, now he [the Mufti] takes care of the Synagogue, so no one will do any damage to the Synagogue.
Four Churches now in Aleppo were attacked and destroyed by the terrorists. When we were with the British Delegation in Aleppo, they told us His Graciousness, His Holiness, he would take care of the expenses of rebuilding the Churches there, because the Church is for all of us, not only for Christians, it’s a Church for Syria. It’s a house of Lord and the Synagogue is also his Synagogue and the Mosque is the Mosque for Christians, Jewish and Muslims. In the United States Mullah [inaudible] wanted to go to build a Mosques and he didn’t have enough money so he got, received donations from Christians and Jewish to build the Mosque. Because they are building a house for God, for Lord, so human beings, all human beings can live there and go there. This language, he said that he’s speaking, politicians don’t know it, and they don’t like it.

In 2012 he was invited to go to the United States, many universities invited him, to deliver lectures, to give lectures there. So, he said send me the Visa, they told him please you have to go to the American Embassy either in Beirut of in Jordan, Amman, you will find the invitation there, at one of the Embassies. He said you have to invite the Patriarch to go with me, so they send an invitation to the Patriarch too and we went by plane from Damascus to Jordan, Amman and from Amman to New York. When he arrived in Amman they told him you have to visit, have to go to the Embassy, so he went to the Embassy, there was a first check point, a second check point, a third check point. He called them and he said, you invited the Grand Mufti of Syria, I am a religious man, why did you leave me in this bad way. They put him in a very small room, divided with glass, he sat on a chair waiting, no one with him. After awhile a woman finally talked to him through a microphone, he said, if my message wasn’t a message of love I would have left immediately, but I have a message of love.

Jesus Christ told us to talk to the lost souls, she asked him fifty questions, when she reached question forty she started crying. She said if it were up to me I wouldn’t have given you a Green Card for the United States but the State Department are the one’s asking me to do this to you, to talk to you from behind the glass and not to receive you with another person at the front door. You have the invitation but in the last twenty four hours they sent you all these questions and he asked her what about the Patriarch, she told him that the Patriarch already had his Visa and there was no need for him to come. This is the equality of democracy in the United States, he went out of the Embassy. The Patriarch was waiting for him at the door, they didn’t let the Patriarch go in the door of the Embassy although he already had his Visa, the Patriarch asked him one thing, and the Mufti said I’m going back to Syria because I know they will not let me go into the United States. He left his son because the Embassy asked the Mufti to go back after twenty four hours, so his son went to the Embassy, a clerk from the Embassy told him they’ll seek a response from the State Department that he is not qualified to visit the United States.

The US is butthurt that their headchoppers were defeated in Allepo.

Oh but yeah, we don't want to fall for that disgusting anti-imperialism of fools, yuk, yuk.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby Elvis » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Not sure where best to post it, but this is for the house symbologists — a screen grab from the video Mac posted above:

Probably nothing, but seems like White Helmets (and 'ISIS' itself) would be good cover for a kidnapping ring. :shrug:
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby American Dream » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:04 am

http://m1aa.org/?p=1346

The Fall of Aleppo

January 13, 2017 by BD, member of First of May Anarchist Alliance – Detroit Collective

The Fall of Aleppo

On January 3, 2017, Syrian refugees, joined by Iraqi refugees and international supporters, marched on the Russian embassy in Thessaloniki, Greece. An article reporting on the march quotes a Syrian refugee as follows:

“They are trying to kill all the flowers in Syria, but they cannot kill the Spring. The Spring is coming. We are here, they cannot kill all the Syrian people.”

(“Syrian refugees in Greece despair over Aleppo,” reported by Marianna Karakoulaki and Dimitiris Tosidis, DW, January 3, 2017 (http//dw.com/p/2vBIT))

The brave people of Aleppo are dispersed or detained or fallen in their thousands. Their city and their homes are destroyed. The dictator, Assad, the butcher of Aleppo, moves to reassert control with the bombs and backing of Putin and the Russian Air Force and with the support of the armed militias of the government of Iran.

The Arab Spring began six years ago in Tunisia. From Tunisia to Egypt to Libya to Syria and beyond the working classes and anti-imperialists and fighters for freedom rose up. They rose up against dictators, against U.S. imperialism and against oppression. The fighting people of the region brought down dictators in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya. They inspired people who yearn for freedom throughout the world from the Occupy movements to anti-austerity struggles to the Movement for Black Lives to prisoner struggles and beyond. But now, in Egypt, a new military dictator, Sisi, with the support of U.S. imperialism, is in power. The revolution is in retreat. U.S. imperialism and Russian imperialism and the local capitalists throughout the region attempt to reassert control and maintain control by smashing or diverting the struggles of the working people for freedom.

In Syria, where the people had risen against Assad and had established local formations, Local Coordination Committees, to take control of their lives and their communities, hundreds of thousands are dead and millions are refugees. The people of Syria had Assad on the defensive and retreating, but the Russian imperialists, assisted by the government of Iran, stepped in to “save” the Assad dictatorship and to attack the revolution of the peoples of Syria.

In the region and internationally, revolutionary forces and the working classes are in disarray and under attack. The diaspora of people forced to flee Syria and Iraq and Afghanistan and North Africa and beyond continues. Refugees are in border camps in Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan and fleeing to Europe and in detainment camps in Europe. Thousands are drowned. Reactionary nationalist forces, fascist forces are on the rise in Europe and the United States. The U.S. imperialists, European imperialists, Russian imperialists and the regional powers and local dictators are responsible for this disaster. The Capitalist Class and Capitalism are responsible for this disaster and have worse coming in the future. Working people everywhere, people who yearn for freedom, must organize and fight.

The Arab Spring is in retreat and has suffered terrible defeats, but it is not defeated. The international working class is on the defensive and in disarray, but we are not defeated. “The Spring is coming.”

People of Syria continue to fight and to demonstrate and to struggle against Assad. Working people of all countries must unite to support their struggle. Assad continues in power because of the support of the governments of Russia and Iran. He must be overthrown.

The imperialists from the United States and from Russia must be driven from Syria, from Iraq, from the Middle East and from every country and region where they try to rule or assert their control. The regional powers and authoritarian governments from Iran and Turkey and Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States must be driven from Syria, and those governments must be overthrown by the working and oppressed people of those countries and their allies.

The dictators from Assad in Syria to Sisi in Egypt and their imperialist partners would have us believe that there are only two alternatives: rule of the dictators backed by Russian imperialism as in Syria or U.S. imperialism as in Egypt, or the rule and dictatorship of ISIS or other reactionary fundamentalists. This is not true. There is another way: the revolution of the people, the revolution of the working classes, the international revolution against capitalism and imperialism and reaction in all its forms.

The lesson of Egypt is that it is not enough to bring down a government or a dictator; it is not enough to change the regime. Capitalism and the state must be overthrown and replaced by the direct rule and direct control of the working people. There is no other way.

Solidarity shows the way forward. We are not on the ground in Syria; we do not know the country. But the peoples of Syria have the right to determine their own futures, free of Assad and the Russians and the U.S. and the Iranians and Turkey and Saudi Arabia. The peoples of Syria have the right to self determination; as revolutionary anarchists we support that right.

The Kurdish people and others in Rojava also have the right to self determination. We support that right. What is needed now is solidarity among the peoples of Syria, the people of Rojava and among Kurdish people and Arabs and all working and oppressed people. What is needed now is a united fight against Assad and the imperialists and for freedom and self determination, respecting the rights of all the peoples of Syria and the region.

We need solidarity among Syrian refugees, among Iraqi refugees, among all refugees and among their international supporters and the international working classes. We need to open all borders and prepare to dispose of all borders. We need freedom. We need solidarity from the working people of every country in support of all refugees and immigrants and in defense of the refugees and immigrants from fascist, racist and government attacks.

There are political groups in the U.S. and elsewhere who support Assad and Russian imperialism and Iran against the people of Syria, but who claim to stand for working people or against imperialism or for socialism. This is a lie. Any group which supports the dictator Assad and opposes the people of Syria is an enemy of working people everywhere. Some authoritarians claiming to be Marxists and socialists support Assad; they are authoritarians and not revolutionaries. They see a dictator and a revolution to overthrow the dictator, and they side with the dictator. Some other leftists claim confusion and can’t decide.

We stand with the peoples of Syria and Aleppo and Rojava against the Assad dictatorship and all imperialists. We stand with the Syrian refugee at the demonstration in Greece: “… they cannot kill the Spring.”

parel » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:53 am wrote:Syrian Anarchist Challenges the Rebel/Regime Binary View of Resistance
Friday, 06 September 2013 00:00

As the US intensifies its push for military intervention in Syria, virtually the only narrative available swings from the brutal regime of Bashar al-Assad to the role of Islamist elements within the resistance. Further, where dissent with the US position appears, much of it hinges on the contradiction of providing support for Al Qaeda-linked entities seeking to topple the regime, as though they represent the only countervailing force to the existing dictatorship. But as Jay Cassano recently wrote for tech magazine Fast Company, the network of unarmed, democratic resistance to Assad's regime is rich and varied, representing a vast web of local political initiatives, arts-based coalitions, human rights organizations, nonviolence groups and more. (The Syria Nonviolence Movement created an online, interactive map to demonstrate this intricate network of connections.)

Meanwhile, the writing and dispatches of Syrian anarchists have been enormously influential in other Arab struggles, with anarchists tortured to death in Assad's prisons memorialized in the writing of Palestinians, and at demonstrations for Palestinian political prisoners held in Israel. Two key features of this unfolding warrant close attention: the manner in which anarchists in the Arab world are increasingly staging critiques and interventions that upend the contradictions held up as justification for US foreign policy, and the ongoing conversations between anti-authoritarian movements in the Arab world that bypass and remain unmediated by Western reference points. Whether Syrian anarchists' insistence on self-determination as a central organizing principle can withstand the immediate reality of violence or the leverage of foreign interests remains an open question.

Nader Atassi is a Syrian political researcher and writer originally from Homs, currently living between the United States and Beirut. He runs the blog Darth Nader, reflecting on events within the Syrian revolution. I talked him into chatting about its anarchist traces, and the prospect of US intervention.
Joshua Stephens for Truthout: Anarchists have been both active in and writing from the Syrian revolution since the get-go. Do you have any sense of what sort of activity was happening prior? Were there influential threads that generated a Syrian articulation of anarchism?

Nader Atassi: Due to the authoritarian nature of the Syrian regime, there was always very little space to operate before the revolution began. However, in terms of anarchism in the Arab world, many of the most prominent voices were Syrians'. Despite there being no organizing that was explicitly "anarchist," Syrian bloggers and writers with anarchist influences were becoming increasingly prominent in the "scene" in the last decade or so. Mazen Kamalmaz is a Syrian anarchist who has written a lot over the last few years. His writings contain a lot of anarchist theory applied to contemporary situations, and he was a prominent voice in Arab anarchism long before the uprising began. He's written a good deal in Arabic, and recently gave a talk in a cafe in Cairo titled "What is Anarchism?"

In terms of organizing, the situation was different however. In the tough political landscape of an authoritarian regime, many had to get creative and exploit openings they saw in order to organize any type of movement, and this led to a de facto decentralized mode of organizing. For example, student movements erupted in Syrian universities during the second Palestinian intifada and the Iraq War. This was a type of popular discontent that the regime tolerated. Marches were organized to protest the Iraq War, or in solidarity with the Palestinian intifada. Although many members of the mukhabarat infiltrated those movements and monitored them closely, this was a purely spontaneous eruption on the part of the students. And although the students were well aware how closely they were being watched (apparently, mukhabarat used to follow the marches with a notepad, writing down what slogans were being chanted and being written on signs), they used this little political space they were given to operate in order to gradually address domestic issues within the regime-sanctioned protests about foreign issues.

One of the most daring episodes I've heard of is when students at Aleppo University, in a protest against the Iraq War, raised signs with the slogan "No to the Emergency Law" (Syria has been under Emergency Law since 1963). Such actions were unheard of at the time. Many of the students who spontaneously emerged as charismatic organizers from within those protests before the uprising began disappearing very early on in the current uprising. The regime was wary of those activist networks that were created as a result of those previous movements and thus immediately cracked down on those peaceful activists that it knew may be a threat to them (and at the same time, it became more lenient with the jihadi networks, releasing hundreds of them from prison in late 2011). Aleppo University, as it so happens, has a very well-known student movement in favor of the uprising, so much so that it has been dubbed "University of the Revolution." The regime would later target the university, killing many students in the School of Architecture.
You recently wrote on your blog about possible US intervention as a sort of corollary to Iranian and Russian intervention on behalf of Assad, and Islamist intervention in revolutionary movements. Much as with Egypt recently, anarchists seem something of signature voice against two unsatisfactory poles within mainstream coverage - a voice preoccupied with self-determination. Is that a fair understanding?

Yes, I believe it is, but I would clarify a few things, as well. In the case of Syria, there are many who fit that description; not only anarchists, but Trotskyists, Marxists, leftists, and even some liberals. Also, this iteration of self-determination is based on autonomy and decentralization, not Wilsonian notions of "one people" with some kind of nationalist, centralized self-determination. It is about Syrians being able to determine their own destinies not in the nationalist sense, but in the micro-political sense. So for example, Syrian self-determination doesn't mean one track which all the Syrians follow, but each person determining their own track, without others interfering. So Syrian Kurds, for example, also have the right to full self-determination in this conception, rather than forcing them into an arbitrary Syrian identity and saying that all the people that fall under this identity have one destiny.

And when we talk about parties, such as the regime, but also its foreign allies, and the jihadis who are against Syrian self-determination - this is not because there is one narrative of Syrian self-determination and jihadis are against it. Rather, they want to impose their own narrative on everyone else. The regime works and has always worked against Syrian self-determination because it holds all political power and refuses to share it. The Islamists work against Syrian self-determination not by virtue of them being Islamists (which is why a lot of liberals oppose them), but because they have a vision of how society should function, and want to forcefully impose that on others whether those people consent to it or not. This is against Syrian self-determination, as well. The allies of the Assad regime, Iran, Russia and various foreign militias, are against Syrian self-determination because they are determined to prop up this regime due to the fact that they've decided their geopolitical interests supersede Syrians deciding their destiny for themselves.

So yes, the mainstream coverage always tries to portray people as belonging to some kind of binary. But the Syrian revolution erupted as people demanding self-determination from the one party that was denying it to them: the regime of Bashar al Assad. As time passed, other actors came onto the scene who also denied Syrians their self-determination, even some who fought against the regime. But the position was never simply to be against the regime for the sake of being against the regime, just as I presume that in Egypt, our comrades' position is not being against the Ikhwan [Muslim Brotherhood] for the sake of being against the Ikhwan. The regime took self-determination away from the people, and any removal of the regime that results in replacing it with someone else who will dominate Syrians should not be seen as a success. As in Egypt, when the Ikhwan came to power, those who considered them an affront to the revolution, even if they weren't felool [Mubarak loyalists], kept repeating the slogan "al thawra mustamera" ["the revolution continues"]. So too will it be in Syria if, after the regime is gone, a party comes to power that also denies Syrians their right to determine their own destiny.

When I interviewed Mohammed Bamyeh this year, he talked about Syria as a really interesting example of anarchism being a driving methodology on the ground. He pointed out that when one hears about organization within the Syrian revolution, one hears about committees and forms that are quite horizontal and autonomous. His suggestion seems borne out by what people like Budour Hassan have brought to light, documenting the life and work of Omar Aziz. Do you see that influence in what your comrades are doing and reporting?

Yes, this comes back to how anarchism should be seen as a set of practices rather than an ideology. Much of the organizing within the Syrian uprising has had an anarchistic approach, even if not explicit. There is the work that the martyr Omar Aziz contributed to the emergence of the local councils, which Tahrir-ICN and Budour Hassan have documented very well. Essentially these councils were conceived by Aziz as organizations where self-governance and mutual aid could flourish. I believe Omar's vision did breathe life into the way local councils operate, although it is worth noting that the councils have stopped short of self-governance, opting instead for focusing on media and aid efforts. But they still operate based on principles of mutual aid, cooperation and consensus.
American Dream

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:34 am

American Dream » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:04 am wrote:http://m1aa.org/?p=1346

The Fall of Aleppo

January 13, 2017 by BD, member of First of May Anarchist Alliance – Detroit Collective

The Fall of Aleppo

On January 3, 2017, Syrian refugees, joined by Iraqi refugees and international supporters, marched on the Russian embassy in Thessaloniki, Greece. An article reporting on the march quotes a Syrian refugee as follows:

“They are trying to kill all the flowers in Syria, but they cannot kill the Spring. The Spring is coming. We are here, they cannot kill all the Syrian people.”

[...]

That Assad, eh? As if trying to kill all the flowers in Syria wasn't bad enough, he's trying to kill all the people. That makes him even worse than Castro Allende Lumumba Noriega Milosevic Saddam Ghaddaffi Putin Hitler.

Why won't the world listen to the First of May Anarchist Alliance – Detroit Collective? It's a mystery and a tragedy. If three American teenagers lying on the floor in Detroit won't make Syrians understand what's good for them, surely nothing will. Until more people lie on the floor, the world will never be perfect.

I'm so tired of the anti-imperialism of fools. What Syrians need is the anti-imperialism of the First of May Anarchist Alliance – Detroit Collective.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Sounder » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:16 pm

The Arab Spring began six years ago in Tunisia. From Tunisia to Egypt to Libya to Syria and beyond the working classes and anti-imperialists and fighters for freedom rose up. They rose up against dictators, against U.S. imperialism and against oppression. The fighting people of the region brought down dictators in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya. They inspired people who yearn for freedom throughout the world from the Occupy movements to anti-austerity struggles to the Movement for Black Lives to prisoner struggles and beyond. But now, in Egypt, a new military dictator, Sisi, with the support of U.S. imperialism, is in power. The revolution is in retreat. U.S. imperialism and Russian imperialism and the local capitalists throughout the region attempt to reassert control and maintain control by smashing or diverting the struggles of the working people for freedom.

Oh, you mean the Muslim Brotherhood?

Still trying to put lipstick on this pig. Those 'revolutionaries' were paid by USAID and other NGO's to do the bidding of transnational corporations.

They are naive people manipulated by their self-righteousness while using 'revolution' as a cover.

Out with the old, and back in with the old.
Sounder

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:25 pm

Sounder » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:16 am wrote:
Oh, you mean the Muslim Brotherhood?

So ignorant but no surprise. You want to make this case, I just revived the Egyptian revolution thread for you. You can actually follow it first before posting, to see said MB fail to participate until their youth group forced it, and said Western establishment desperately try to save their 28-year investment known as Mubarak, and said MB betray and attack the revolution in tandem with the Army (which ruled throughout, in reality). I hope this discussion goes in the right thread, which started at the time.

JackRiddler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion