The Syria Thread 2011 - Present

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: US troops surround Syria on the eve of invasion?

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:59 pm

from The Irish Times
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/e ... -1.3708457

Turkey uneasy about U.S. plan for observation posts on Syria border: minister

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkey is uneasy about U.S. plans to set up “observation posts” in Syria along parts of its border with Turkey, Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said on Saturday.

FILE PHOTO: Turkey's Defence Minister Hulusi Akar talks with U.S. Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis during a NATO defence ministers meeting at the Alliance headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, October 4, 2018. REUTERS/Francois Lenoir
Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said on Wednesday the United States was setting up the posts to help keep the focus on clearing the final Islamic State militant strongholds in Syria.

The United States has long complained that tension between Turkey and the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) - which includes the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia - has at times slowed progress on the fight against Islamic State.

Akar said he told U.S. Chief of Staff Joseph Dunford and other U.S. officials during a recent visit to Canada that setting up the posts would have a very negative impact on perceptions of the United States in Turkey.

“During our talks with both political and civilian interlocutors we repeatedly expressed our unease in various ways,” he said. “I think actions like this will make the complicated situation in the region even more complicated”.

Turkey is angry at U.S. support for the YPG, which it views as an extension of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) waging a decades-long insurgency on Turkish soil. The PKK is designated a terrorist group by Turkey, the United States and the European Union.

“Nobody should doubt that the Turkish Armed forces and the Republic of Turkey will take the necessary steps against all kinds of risks and threats from across its borders,” he said.

Tension and frustration at the U.S.-Mexico border
“We expect our U.S. allies to immediately cut their ties with the terrorist YPG, who are not in the slightest bit different from the PKK,” Akar added.

Islamic State is still present in eastern Syria in a pocket east of the Euphrates River near the border with Iraq.

President Donald Trump’s administration hopes that the U.S.-backed fight against Islamic State in its last foothold in northeastern Syria will end within months. But a top U.S. diplomat recently said American forces will remain to ensure the “enduring defeat” of the militant group.

Reporting by Daren Butler; Editing by Hugh Lawson
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mide ... SKCN1NT0D9
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:02 pm

Israeli Defense Chief Met With Syrian Operatives During Civil War, Top Retired IDF General Says

Israel has denied any connection to fighting there since it broke out seven years ago

Amos Harel Nov 23, 2018 8:08 AM

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon meet with wounded Syrians, 2014.Kobi Gideon / GPO
Maj. Gen. Gershon Hacohen, a former IDF General Staff Corps commander, said this week that former Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon met during his tenure with Syrian operatives during the war between the Assad regime and the rebels. Since the civil war in Syria broke out, Israel has denied any connection to what was going on there or that it had taken a side. Hacohen says he was present during the meeting.

To really understand Israel and the Middle East - subscribe to Haaretz

“When I was commanding a corps in the Golan and Bogie [Ya’alon] was defense minister, we sat with three Syrian activists from the other side, from Syria,” Hacohen said at an Israel Democracy Institute conference. “They came and Bogie wanted to understand who they were. He asked one of them, ‘Tell me, are you a Salafist?’ And he said, ‘I really don’t know what a Salafist is. If it means that I pray more, then yes. Once I would pray once a week, on Fridays, now I pray five times a day. On the other hand, a Salafist isn’t meant to cooperate with the Zionists. I’m sitting with the defense minister of the Zionists. So I don’t know.’ This means that identity components are very fluid. They don’t tell you where the person is going.”

Syrian rebels in the Hama district in 2016.
Syrian rebels in the Hama district in 2016.KHALIL ASHAWI/Reuters
Hacohen didn’t say when the meeting took place, but Ya’alon was named defense minister in March 2013 and Hacohen retired from the army in September 2014.

In the summer of 2016, Israel acknowledged that it was providing civil assistance to Syrian villages near the border, through what was known as the Good Neighbor Administration, which was closed this week.

During the IDI conference, findings of a survey were presented showing a correlation between religious belief and support for tough steps, including physical harm, against enemy civilians. According to Hacohen, the meeting that he had showed that “the way people perceive their religious faith can change.”
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.pr ... -1.6679420
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Rory » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:04 pm

American Dream. Suspended but here in spirit
Rory

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:06 pm

you are hysterical....although not surprising
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:09 pm

Russian FM says US pursues 'hidden agenda' in Syria

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has accused the United States of pursuing a "hidden agenda" through its military involvement in Syria.

Lavrov said Saturday that in contrast to American claims that it is intervening in Syria to help in the fight against the Islamic State group, the U.S.'s true goal is to overturn the Syrian government supported by Moscow.

Lavrov told the press while visiting Lisbon, Portugal, that "my suspicion (is) that the U.S. looks upon ISIS as a justification for their military participation in Syria," using a different acronym for IS.

"In contradiction to their loudly trumpeted claims that their main task is the eradication of terrorism in Syria, they have another hidden agenda," Lavrov said.
https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... a-59391970

Shelling Kills Five in Syria's Idlib Despite Agreed Buffer Zone

Three children and two women died in the attack, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says of the incident

Reuters Nov 24, 2018 5:42 PM
FILE Photo: Fighters with the Free Syrian army in the outskirts of the northern town of Jisr al-Shughur, Syria, west of the city of Idlib, September 9, 2018.
FILE Photo: Fighters with the Free Syrian army in the outskirts of the northern town of Jisr al-Shughur, Syria, west of the city of Idlib, September 9, 2018.Ugur Can/DHA via AP
Islamic State says U.S.-led strikes kill 40 in militant pocket in Syria

Netanyahu: Putin can't get Iran out of Syria

Russia says Syrian Idlib offensive off the table, Erdogan and Putin agree on buffer zone

Government shelling killed three children and two women on Saturday in Syria's rebel-held Idlib province, where Russia and Turkey agreed on a buffer zone, a monitoring group said.

The U.K.-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said shells hit Jarjanaz village which lies on the inner edge of the 15-20 km (9-13 mile) deep zone.
https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-new ... -1.6680176
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:23 pm

Rory » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:58 pm wrote:seems like an american dream, contribution

your contributions to this thread are amazingly fantastic! :lovehearts: :lovehearts: :lovehearts: :lovehearts: :lovehearts:

keep up the great work! They are so fantastic we need to put them all together in one place

Rory » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:52 pm wrote:US troops surround Syria on the eve of invasion?

Rory » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:04 pm wrote:American Dream. Suspended but here in spirit

now where did you get that original idea? seems like it was done before let's give credit where credit is due...
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Elvis » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:21 pm

seemslikeadream wrote:members here should have the right to post without being accused of being disfo

No member was accused of being a witting disinfo agent, which is very different than merely being "ill-informed." You're making a spurious false charge.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:38 pm

This old 2014 Buzzfeed piece is exactly the kind of anti-Graham Phillips propaganda I was talking about upthread:

seemslikeadream wrote:How A British Blogger Became An Unlikely Star Of The Ukraine Conflict — And Russia Today

. . . Often, Phillips' wide-eyed delivery and prolificness recall Timothy Treadwell, the hero of Werner Herzog's 2005 documentary Grizzly Man

Such weak sauce, but it's not about substance, it's about neoliberal media maligning a truth teller and suppressing critical aspects that contradict the neoliberal narrative. The tortuous connection of Phillips to Ukraine to Trump has sadly led some observers who once cared about the truth to celebrate its abolishment.

seemslikeadream wrote:Liberal journalists rejoice as controversial British blogger Graham Phillips banned from Twitter

Controversial British blogger Graham Phillips has had his Twitter account permanently suspended, prompting many liberal journalists who have been following his activities to rejoice.

. . . One such critic who has regularly targeted Phillips is Elliot Higgins, head of Bellingcat, a UK-based investigatory website linked to NATO. Higgins has tweeted his delight at the news.

Bellingcat, tool of NATO, the armchair killer of truth. What kind of "liberal" "journalists" rejoice in this? They're neither liberal nor journalists, they're willing accessories to war crimes.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:44 pm

ok I mis understood this quote by BS.....apparently I am ill-informed and unwittingly post crap by disinfo agents

I'll try very hard not to do that again ....if you could post somewhere the links that should not be posted here that would be helpful

Edit: i avoided naming forum members as an f'ling courtesy, and also to avoid precisely this petty squabble.

YES - those that read and participate here know who I mean, so their names needn't be called out. Clearly, given your responses here, you are one of them. No shocker there.

Those that post crap by disinfo agents here at face value should be ashamed -- assuming it's done unwittingly of course.

While we may offer the benefit of the doubt that the historical citing/pasting (with minimal/no disclaimers, context, or caveats) of content from these hacks were inserted into RI threads, however ill-informed, as a means to offer a 'perspective' of events as they unfolded, I'd suggest that moving forward, ANY content by the following vermin should be flagged here as Blatant PROPAGANDA moving forward:
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Elvis » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:47 pm

Rory wrote:seems like an american dream, contribution

Rory, please focus on the issues and avoid the facile, personal drive-bys that tend to provoke trivial tit-for-tat exchanges. Thanks.
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:16 pm

Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:22 am wrote:should be flagged here as Blatant PROPAGANDA moving forward:

Bellingcat/Eliot Higgins
Michael Weiss
Aaron Zelin
Atlantic Council

I think we know enough about the nature of these sources that some kind of critical commentary should accompany posts of their output.

Remember that the best disinfo contains a measure of real info, so any one of these could publish the occasional truth. But context is always warranted.

Parsing of sources is, more now than ever, just as important as parsing the information they convey.
Elvis

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:16 am

Elvis » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:16 pm wrote:
Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:22 am wrote:should be flagged here as Blatant PROPAGANDA moving forward:

Bellingcat/Eliot Higgins
Michael Weiss
Aaron Zelin
Atlantic Council

I think we know enough about the nature of these sources that some kind of critical commentary should accompany posts of their output.

Remember that the best disinfo contains a measure of real info, so any one of these could publish the occasional truth. But context is always warranted.

Parsing of sources is, more now than ever, just as important as parsing the information they convey.

"the best disinfo contains a measure or real info" - quite true.

"Parsing of sources is, more now than ever, just as important as parsing the information they convey."
- You've succinctly summarized the core of my point in one sentence. Another example of 'less is more'. I'll endeavor to take a page from your book if I dip my toes in the waters again.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Rory » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:33 am

Chemical weapons attack on Aleppo yesterday. Judging by the complete media silence, it was done by our proxies, perhaps in a fit of pique at their boy Fares meeting an untimely demise
Rory

Postby Rory » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:09 pm

Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:22 am wrote:ANY content by the following vermin should be flagged here as Blatant PROPAGANDA moving forward:

Bellingcat/Eliot Higgins
Michael Weiss
Aaron Zelin
Atlantic Council

They -- and others of their ilk -- are willing tools in the dissimenation of mis/disinformation, with devastating consequences to the lives of many.

To add to this, so called "Rights", organizations/NGOs.

SmartSelect_20181125-080346_Twitter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory

Postby Elvis » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Rory » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:33 am wrote:Chemical weapons attack on Aleppo yesterday. Judging by the complete media silence, it was done by our proxies, perhaps in a fit of pique at their boy Fares meeting an untimely demise

I heard the attack briefly reported on BBC, and, remarkably, it was reported as a likely 'rebel' attack launched from Idlib, no mention of any possibility it was government forces. Very interesting.
Elvis

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion