The Syria Thread 2011 - Present

Moderators: DrVolin, Elvis, Jeff

Re: The Syria Thread 2011 - Present

Postby Elvis » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:17 pm

Keep in mind that good people can simply be misinformed and underinformed. My best friend, when I asked him which news sites he read on a regular basis, was quick to shrug and snap back, "I read everything." Ha. Never mind that's exactly what Sarah Palin said when pressed, and I challenged him on it, but for him, reading the Guardian, NYT, WaPo, Altlantic, New Yorker and all the usual suspects means that he's well informed. And to a good extent he is, far ahead of the average citizen/voter.

But last year when I brought up the White Helmets, he only had a vague notion of legitimacy: "Aren't they part of the UN or something? I just assumed they were some kind of UN-sanctioned thing."

You can imagine my response. And slowly he's coming around. I've kept him abreast of the OPCW whistleblowers—since none of his usual news sources bother to. And I showed him the Theodore Postol interview going over the evidence/lack of; that really helped: he agreed that Postol is "gold standard" for assessing scientific processes and he's familiar with scientific journal review procedures.

So you/we/they just have to educate people, if it's one person at a time.

Also, thanks for that Aaron Maté video. When I opened it YouTube, this is what I got:

YT OPCW aaron mate offensive.jpg
YT OPCW aaron mate offensive.jpg (32.77 KiB) Viewed 457 times

Still trying to figure out how to play the video; the "I understand and wish to proceed" button doesn't work!
"Frankly, I don't think it's a good idea but the sums proposed are enormous."
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:39 pm

All fair points.

But, with respect to this:

...last year when I brought up the White Helmets, he only had a vague notion of legitimacy: "Aren't they part of the UN or something? I just assumed they were some kind of UN-sanctioned thing."

Your friend's [understandable] casual/vague grasp of the legitimacy of the White Helmets is markedly removed from the pro-White Helmet content distributed within this forum. In some instances, it can be argued the forum members in question were simply misinformed, or perhaps partially blinded by their personal worldviews.

I for one do not believe that was the case in all instances.
Belligerent Savant

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:19 pm

Elvis » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:17 pm wrote:Still trying to figure out how to play the video; the "I understand and wish to proceed" button doesn't work!

You gotta be logged in to YouGoogle. Anyway, that worked for me.

Video has lots of dead people in it. But obviously the "Youtube community" users who referred it are going to be part of the propaganda hit squads Blumenthal talks about in the very same video. Never miss an opportunity.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Elvis » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:18 pm

I'm always logged into YouTube, so that wasn't it. Anyway, the button finally worked when I checked just now.

I'm mainly worried about a few such complaints getting them kicked off YT.
"Frankly, I don't think it's a good idea but the sums proposed are enormous."
Elvis

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:50 pm

Elvis » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:18 pm wrote:I'm always logged into YouTube, so that wasn't it. Anyway, the button finally worked when I checked just now.

I'm mainly worried about a few such complaints getting them kicked off YT.

Again, there is no doubt their channel and all that they publish and report is closely monitored by more than one squad of enemies who will just be like that, and report them on any pretext. I don't think content advisories get people booted very easily, however. I have yet to read the goddamn December 10 ukas, however. (Youtube keeps announcing that their new terms of service go into effect on that day, and whatever it's going to be, the anticipation of it is already depressing.)
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby alloneword » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:31 am

Re: Video [91nNr1ZakWE]... I'm seeing it as 'deleted by user', now...

removed by user.png
removed by user.png (18.87 KiB) Viewed 382 times

But still available here? https://thegrayzone.com/2019/11/26/whit ... -in-syria/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8kK1I8on3k

Is this the same video, or an edited version, or entirely different?

Edit to add:

Ah, this answers the question...

[Note: YouTube restricted the original due to graphic footage of White Helmets members assisting with executions in Syria. We have deleted the original & re-uploaded this version without that footage to ensure that it reaches as a wide an audience as possible. Links to the deleted footage:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=0a3_1430870428
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/stat ... 45538?s=20
alloneword

Postby cptmarginal » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:41 am

The Grayzone is probably the best website of its kind on the internet. Fantastic indefatigable work; so nice to have one place where you can direct people to for information.
cptmarginal

Postby cptmarginal » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:34 pm

With the facts we now know about Douma it is hilarious to look back on all of the people who called Fisk a "conspiracy theorist" for his initial on the ground reporting on what did or did not happen. Ben Anderson of VICE said on a podcast that it was "sad" to see previously reliable war correspondents like Fisk sliding into conspiracy theory :roll:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/sy ... 20511.html

I talked to everybody I could in Syria, controversial or otherwise. That's how you find out the truth

In a second exclusive clip from This Is Not A Movie, a documentary film by Yung Chang about the foreign reporting of Robert Fisk, we see Homs and Aleppo through the eyes of the Independent's Middle East correspondent

Robert Fisk - 2 days ago

I’ve spent months these past eight years in Syria’s amputated cities. They are a scar on all our lives – the Russians, the Syrians, the armed Islamists, the western powers that spent more time trying to destroy Syria than the Syrian regime.

The bodies buried deep within these heaps of concrete, the survivors, and those invisibly but forever mentally wounded have paid the price of our military cruelty and indifference. Many of those who fled these gaunt cities are now in Europe – or at the bottom of the Mediterranean. And we don’t even know – or care? – about the statistics. Did 350,000 die here? Or 450,000? Or 500,000? These figures have all been used, a careless 150,000 separating the first from the last.

Beirut, Mostar, Sarajevo, Aleppo, Homs, and now Mosul and Raqqa – we are forced to ask ourselves if these sepulchral ruins are something we have come to regard as natural, something we accept or have accepted for hundreds of years: that destruction is a natural part of history.

I hope I don’t believe this. I’ve driven thousands of miles across Syria, with no minders (they are mostly called up into the army) and no protection to reach front lines where Syrian government soldiers, often wounded, have run and crawled through the broken concrete to show me Isis flags in the next field or broken house.

If they cross the lines, journalists will have their heads cut off – which is why there are no Western reporters based in the government-besieged province of Idlib (they only very rarely ever visit). And I’ve always believed that regimes are to be avoided. I’m one of the few journalists I know who has not interviewed Assad. Talking to armies can reveal the truth.

I reckon half the Syrian soldiers I’ve interviewed have later been killed. The total dead of the entire army is a state secret, but I’ve discovered the real figure: around 85,000 – quite a toll for the Assad regime’s only real defenders. Until the Russians came.

I talk to them all. It’s my job. One general, ‘The Tiger’, was so used to gunfire that he spoke while sitting in a field erupting with shell explosions – until I realised he was already, in his own mind, ready to be killed, and I explained that I could hear him more clearly if we were in a trench.

That’s what you’ve got to remember in all wars: that you are going there to report – not to die.
cptmarginal

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:48 pm

The Weekly Fucked Report

Danny Sjursen reviews the totally insane outcome of US intervention in Syria. wrote: Syria’s Assad is allied with Russia and Iran, all of whom are attacking Idlib; Turkey - though it deals with Russia - backs the mostly Islamist rebels holding Idlib; in the process Syrian army and Turks exchange fire (you know, like in a war); meanwhile, US holds part of East where it (sometimes) backs Kurds who fight against America’s NATO ally Turkey; everyone hates and helped fight ISIS, except, that is for our “allied” Turks and Israelis; nuclear-armed Russia and US still face off along Euphrates River one mistake away from existential war; and all the while US and Iran - though both loathe ISIS - bomb one another and are locked in a de facto state of war.....EXHALE....

Turkish military continues to hold Kurdish areas of Turkey under martial law, and Erdogan has dispatched units to Somalia (sorry, no idea what or who they are fighting there), and to Libya.

There they back the Tripoli-based GNA ("government of national accord") against the Benghazi-based army of Haftar (who was at least formerly CIA). Zoom out and you see Cyprus, Greece and Israel cementing their new alliance with a carve-up of gas-drilling rights within the internationally recognized Cypriot territorial waters. Turkey and GNA-Libya reached a separate bilateral accord on water boundaries that ignores the others, and gives Turkey rights to drill in the same areas. In Lybia Israel-Greece are backing Haftar, as are (to varying degrees) France, Russia, UAE, Egypt, Saudi, Sudan and Jordan. Qatar, still designated an enemy by Saudi-UAE (and thus Egypt) last time I was looking, and ally to Turkey and Iran at the same time, is naturally on Tripoli's side.

Libya Foreign Intervention Scorecard (Al Jazeera, Jan. 2020)
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/ ... 25735.html

Just in case it seems outnumbered, Turkey is still holding millions of Syrian refugees in camps, and have demonstrated they are capable of pushing them westward into the EU if they are too-far provoked by European powers, who in turn continue to pay Istanbul not to do that under the 2015 deal.

A couple of months ago UAE and Saudi factions within the Yemeni genocide coalition (based in Aden) had a falling out, and the UAE-supported side prevailed. At the time supposedly several brigades of Saudi regulars were defeated, massacred or taken prisoner by Houthi forces, and Saudi started looking for an exit. I have no idea who the Americans currently back in Yemen, do you?

Also, shockingly, the Dec. attack on a US base in Iraq that set off the sequence that led to Soleimani's assassination and the destruction of the Ukrainian airliner was falsely attributed to the "Iranian-backed Iraqi militia," at least according to an unusually fair and detailed report in the NYT.

Everyone keeping track here?

This report presents evidence that the US government lied when it blamed "Iranian-backed militias" for the December 27 missile attack on an American base in Iraq. Do you know what is unusual about it? It is in the New York Times. It is detailed, and gives a fair hearing to the Iraqis making the case. Is something happening here?

To review the significance of the December 27 incident:

"The rockets wounded six people and killed an American contractor, setting off a chain of events that brought the United States and Iran to the brink of war.

Was U.S. Wrong About Attack That Nearly Started a War With Iran?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/worl ... dence.html

"The United States blamed an Iraqi militia with close ties to Iran and bombed five of the group’s bases. Angry Iraqis then stormed the American Embassy. The United States then killed Iran’s top general. Iran then fired missiles at American forces and mistakenly shot down a passenger jet, killing 176 people..."

'Iraqi military and intelligence officials have raised doubts about who fired the rockets that started a dangerous spiral of events."

JackRiddler

Previous

Return to General Discussion