The Hum.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Hum.

Postby AlicetheKurious » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:36 am

I'm not a hoaxer and not given to mistaking the ordinary for the extraordinary. I heard that sound on two separate occasions, both at night (sometime between 9:00 and 11:00 pm) and was completely baffled because I had never heard anything like it before or since, and I've been living in my current home for nearly a decade. It was slow, rhythmic, very loud, vibratory and seemed to come from everywhere including the sky, but there was nothing out of the ordinary to see: no strange lights or anything else. It went on for a long time, at least 30 minutes the first time. The second time, after listening for a while, I put on ear-plugs and went to sleep, so I don't know how long it went on.

Most of the sounds that have been recorded in the videos posted, including the Winnipeg one, are exactly like the sound large electrical generators make in a power station. I could record that exact same sound right now, if I stand on my rear balcony, because there's a large farm 2km from here that uses its own generators sometimes.

The one I heard was not like that at all. It was deeper, came from everywhere but especially the sky, and there was absolute silence for a few seconds before it built up again.

At the time, I thought it could be something military-related. I still do. I live in a desert area where there are several military, especially air force bases, although I have no idea where they are. But the sight of AWACS and other surveillance planes and occurrences like sudden loud "sucking" booms that rattle the windows are not very common, but not that rare either. Anyway, I just wanted to put it on the record FWIW.
Last edited by AlicetheKurious on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:50 am

Thanks for that first-hand report, Alice. It's good to have a first-hand report from someone I regard as a trustworthy witness.

My first response to all these videos was that they must be very easy to fake: just film some images of any old nondescript place and then add a soundtrack. So I'm grateful to those who went through all this stuff and noticed those giveaway bird-noises. It seems obvious to me that there are some opportunistic fakers around, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everything is fake.

Information wants to be free? Sure. Unfortunately, information also includes lies.

- On Edit: Are there any sound-technicians around, or video-experts, or whatever? How easy is it to fake this stuff? Can you tell, reliably, just from watching a YouTube video, whether the sound has been added to the film?
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Nordic » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:01 am

Sound isn't my specialty, but I know quite a bit more about it than your average schlub, and I don't see how you could possibly determine on a Youtube video whether the soundtrack had been faked, mixed, sweetened, or whatever.

And judging from the sheer enormous volume of fake and manipulated Youtube videos, I'd say you're pretty safe assuming that almost anything "wooo"ish on Youtube has probably better than a 50% chance of being a fake. Unless you have some kind of trustworthy source backing it up. Just start looking at UFO stuff on there and you'll see what I mean. :roll:
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby brainpanhandler » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Alice wrote:I heard that sound on two separate occasions

Do you recall how long ago?

Mac wrote:How easy is it to fake this stuff?

It stands to reason it would be very easy.

As you say:

just film some images of any old nondescript place and then add a soundtrack.

But as you also say:

that doesn't necessarily mean that everything is fake.

Most people are bad actors. If they are speaking in the video and are thoroughly convincing it seems to me that at least ups the odds that they really were hearing something unfamiliar and that what they recorded is not faked. Not very reliable, I know.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby elfismiles » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:21 pm

My thoughts exactly HBW ... though the clip KeenInsight linked to seems exactly the same.

Viral marketing for sequels to Cloverfield or whatever source that KI clip is from?

Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:Oh here it is. I started a new topic on this, when I shouldn't have. It sounds like the creature from Cloverfield. The original official trailer.

As for car stopping devices: "This Just In..."

To: UFOUpDates <post@ufoupdateslist.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 21:37:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: High-Power Compact Microwave For Vehicle Immobilization

High-Power Compact Microwave Source for Vehicle Immobilization:
Final Report

Eureka Aerospace has developed a compact single frequency high-
power electromagnetic system (HPEMS) for remotely immobilizing
vehicles using microwave energy to disable/damage vehicle's
electronic control module/microprocessor which controls
engine's vital functions.

More in .pdf at:

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/236756.pdf

http://ufoupdateslist.com/2012/jan/m21-005.shtml

justdrew wrote:I don't think there is any KNOWN technology to do that. an EMP would fry the electronics, things wouldn't just come back on. We have no idea how to temporarily stop the flow of electricity in an area, and I think such an act would normally be considered "impossible"

Maybe some sort of super high voltage low amp field moving through the area? Maybe :shrug:

VERY weird happenings

EDIT: Oh yeah, and from the Strieber factory...

Hum - Strange Sounds being Heard Worldwide
http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/tag/hum
http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/stra ... -worldwide
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby eyeno » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:18 am

This guy could be on to something with the water phone idea. It sounds pretty similar. Video of a guy playing a water phone in the article below.

Could it be that those strange and frightening sounds that have crisscrossed the globe have nothing to do with the apocalypse or anything else that strikes fear into mortal man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceG4UKht ... r_embedded

It seems that New Decade Production is now claiming that the sounds were not the beginning of the end but the result of a musical instrument known as a waterphone and to prove it they made a video showing how the sounds were made and projected.

Here’s the latests from examiner.com:

The source of the strange UFO sounds has been located: It’s not what you expect

On January 22, 2012, the mystery of the strange UFO sounds being recorded across the globe was finally solved. The low creaking, groaning and metallic sounds weren’t caused by UFOs, the Apocalypse or aliens. The sounds were caused by someone projecting the sound of a musical instrument called a waterphone. This strange instrument was invented in the late 1960s and based on the Tibetan Water Drum. It was created by a man named Richard Waters who still produces and sells them today on his website, Waterphone.com.

New Decade Production broke the news that the strange UFO sounds were most likely the result of someone playing low tones on the unusual instrument:

“Listen to the larger strings on this that are the lower frequency ones. I think we may have our culprit. Project blue beam in action: guys projecting recorded sounds from the waterphone, or this is a hoax. I have tested the two sounds together and they are the same for sure. I am a light worker not a debunker but we must find out the culprit for sure. I do wish it was the earth moving for ascension or our brother calling us, but no.”

The man behind New Decade Production released a video demonstrating his findings. In it, he plays a waterphone and produces the exact same tones found in most of the strange UFO sounds videos. He also demonstrates a variety of other sounds created by the waterphone. Although many of those sounds have not been used in UFO videos, pay close attention to the lower tones. They are absolutely the same.

For your convenience, when you launch the video on the left side of this page, you will be able to watch a bonus video containing some of the UFO sounds reported in 2011. Try to spot the similarities between those strange sounds and the tones of the waterphone.

Could it be that this is in fact the culprit? Many here and on other sites have called it all a hoax and have passed along suggestions. Now it would seem that there’s a strong possibility that the naysayers were right all along.

What still bothers me is the multiple locations and the odds of it being orchestrated by one group. Is this guy, Richard Waters trying to “drum” up some viral marketing attention to sell more of his waterphones?

As soon as I saw the instrument, I remembered seeing it on TV being played by Waters. It did make some mind bending sounds, that’s for sure.

As usual, I’ll leave it to the readers to compare and decide.

Thanks to examiner.com for the tip off
http://beforeitsnews.com/story/1664/047 ... vered.html
eyeno

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:37 am

Well, I finally got to hear a few of the sounds on a few of the videos. I don't think I could discern what it was that I should be listening for, unless what I thought was background noise was part of it. The booming sounds I doubt could be made by a drilling rig or a tunneling machine.

But a cement kiln could account for some of the sounds. They emit a low droning hum and some booming noises that can be heard quite a distance away.

Anyone know if there are cement kilns within say, 15 miles of where the sounds are being reported?
Iamwhomiam

Postby Nordic » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:40 am

If you put your video camera right next to a window air conditioning unit and shoot the night skyline of your city, you will hear a sound that will probably remind you of a freaking Chunnel being dug.

Heck, try shooting in a kitchen, or a bar or a restaurant, with all the refrigerators and freezers going. You don't notice it because you're used to it, but if you're trying to record sound, those things are insanely noisy. Whenever we shoot in a restaurant or bar, we have to get permission to turn all the damn things off, otherwise we simply can't record the audio.

I mean, you just can't trust any amateur video. You don't know what's right out of frame.

This could be the audio equivalent of photographic "ghost orbs".
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby smoking since 1879 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:06 am

A very interesting thread...

It should be noted that some sounds can travel many miles from their origin, carried and modulated by atmospheric conditions. I seem to remember reading some articles about volcanic eruptions being heard a continent away, yet not being heard locally...

http://www.pa.op.dlr.de/acoustics/

Not the most accessible site, but this image gives the general idea.

Of course, there is still the question of what produced the noise, but atmospheric attenuation may explain how an explosion becomes a hum at distance.

----------------
on Edit::
On August 27, 1883, the island of Krakatau in the Sundra Strait exploded due to volcanic
activity. Particles of dust were blown into the stratosphere where they circled the earth
for years. The pressure wave, as recorded on barographs, from the blast circled the earth
four times. Sound was heard in Burma, and places in Australia but not in between.

from here...
http://www.lochlyn.org/atmophys/sound/sound.pdf
----------------
"Now that the assertive, the self-aggrandising, the arrogant and the self-opinionated have allowed their obnoxious foolishness to beggar us all I see no reason in listening to their drivelling nonsense any more." Stanilic
smoking since 1879

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:46 am

1879, supposedly, the shock wave from Krakatoa traveled around the world 8 times. I don't know that I can believe that.
Iamwhomiam

Postby slomo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:50 am

Iamwhomiam wrote:1879, supposedly, the shock wave from Krakatoa traveled around the world 8 times. I don't know that I can believe that.

Why not? Spherical harmonics...
slomo

Postby Jeff » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Mysterious noise escalates in Windsor, Ont.

Councillor wants Ottawa to address cross-border rumble
CBC News
Jan 30, 2012 1:32 PM ET

An unexplained rumbling disturbed hundreds of Windsor, Ont., residents this weekend to the extent that some thought it was an earthquake, prompting calls for Ottawa to step in.

City Coun. Al Maghnieh said he was inundated with telephone calls, emails and Facebook messages this weekend after the so-called "hum" returned, louder than ever.

"Between the sound and the vibration, it was just very, very bad," Maghnieh said. "A lot of people are frustrated and to a point ... demoralized."

Residents across Windsor and neighbouring LaSalle began reporting a noise they describe as similar to an idling train or semi-trailer in February 2011.

Maghnieh said a "low-frequency rumble" seemed to peak early Sunday morning, calling it "really harsh."

He wasn't alone in this complaint.

"It was a rocking weekend. We actually thought an earthquake was happening," said Gary Grosse, administrator for the Windsor-Essex County Hum Facebook group.

There are approximately 800 members on Grosse's Facebook page, and he said he's aware of several more people who haven't come forward for fear of lowering their property values if they identify themselves as living within earshot of the hum.

"We need help and closure to put an end to this problem," Maghnieh said.

Seismic testing conducted by Natural Resources Canada last summer pinpointed a one-square kilometre area of Zug Island in River Rouge, Mich.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/s ... sland.html
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby justdrew » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:36 pm

Windsor, Ont... but no such reports from Detroit? (maybe I missed them)
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby smoking since 1879 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Battle Beneath The Earth 1967

... but it's probably just the fracking pumps running 24/7
"Now that the assertive, the self-aggrandising, the arrogant and the self-opinionated have allowed their obnoxious foolishness to beggar us all I see no reason in listening to their drivelling nonsense any more." Stanilic
smoking since 1879

Postby brainpanhandler » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:39 pm

Whitley mentions two videos in his talk, one of which is a known hoax, and one of which he has personally verified with the individual who made the recording.

To listen to the hoax, click here.

To listen to the verified audio, click here.

The "verified audio":

In the verified audio, there are two sounds. One is a rushing sound from the sky that is similar to what Whitley has also heard. The second is a higher pitched sound that could be a distant siren. However, the person who made the recording drove two miles in the apparent direction of the second sound, and could not locate a source, nor did it get louder. This means that it was possibly being projected by unusual atmospheric conditons from a great distance off, or it was originating in the sky.

Read the original source: http://www.unknowncountry.com/dreamland ... z1lBxRUz8n
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion