The War on Women

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The War on Women

Postby Cordelia » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:15 pm

Was a Va. firefighter humiliated by co-workers online before she killed herself?

"The trolls were horrid to her while she was alive. And they continued to be awful after her death.
Fairfax County firefighter Nicole Mittendorff, 31, killed herself in Virginia’s Shenandoah National Park, the state medical examiner concluded. But even after the search for her was over, her body was identified and memorial candles began to burn, the cyberbullies — who claimed they were her fellow firefighters — kept scorching away at Mittendorff online."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/wa ... story.html

Her car was discovered by a ranger almost a week before her body was found and pronounced a suicide. A tragic irony (perhaps intentional) was that many of the searchers came from essential, but generally male-dominated services, long reputed for misogynistic bullying of co-workers.

"The death of Nicole Mittendorff is a 'fire bell in the night'"

http://www.turnoutblog.com/2016/04/29/m ... -my-union/
Cordelia

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:44 pm

How very sad. And awful.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Karmamatterz » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:39 am

]http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2012/07/getting_your_tubes_tied_why_do_young_women_have_a_hard_time_getting_sterilized_.html

Ultimately, though, the advisory organization does not recommend discouraging or refusing the procedure to anyone who is otherwise medically fit and of the age of consent. It is, after all, a legal procedure. Various forms of female sterilization have been legal in the United States since 1972, when courts removed restrictions that had previously required a medical threat. And according to a 2008 treatment review in Obstetrics and Gynecology, “[A]lmost all women are candidates for these minimally invasive procedures.” So what’s the problem?

From a doctor’s point of view, just because a patient can have a procedure doesn’t necessarily mean that she should. While Yekaterina Rabkin, a gynecologist who practices in Winchester, Va., has never outright refused to do a tubal ligation on a patient who’s qualified, she does everything she can to encourage an alternative course of action.

“My personal opinion is that the only time a tubal is preferable to LARCs [Long Acting Reversible Contraception] for someone who is done with childbearing is if it's done during a C-section, where it is a minor part of an otherwise major surgery,” she explained. “Otherwise, you expose someone to surgical risk without any improvement in efficacy, a higher risk of ectopic pregnancy [due to procedural failure], and the issue of regret … I genuinely believe that a tubal ligation is not the best option for contraception for most people.”

--------------------------------

Sticking to the true comparison of sterilization even a female doc appears to discourage tubal ligation. The general dog whistle of the evil patriarchy doesn't lend itself for constructive dialogue. From what my cursory reading shows it's really the docs that are making decisions about this and not so much laws. Not saying in the past it wasn't a different situation. From some other boards woman have posted state law requires spousal consent within circumstances. If a woman wants this done and her doc says no find another doc. It is bullshit if any laws require partner approval in my opinion. It is easy to understand why a lot of docs discourage it, and that is their prerogative. Often the docs are concerned about future lawsuits which heavily weights their opinion. Ob-gyns pay some of the highest insurance premiums in the medical field.

As far as the trolling law makers....well, it's called trolling for a reason. Nobody really likes trolls.
Karmamatterz

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu May 19, 2016 2:16 pm

Oklahoma legislature passes bill making it a felony to perform abortions
By Mark Berman May 19 at 2:02 PM
Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin, left, speaks during a bill signing for a bill requiring doctors in Oklahoma to check a new prescription drug database before prescribing certain addictive drugs, in Oklahoma City, Tuesday, March 31, 2015. It the first bill Fallin has signed this legislative session, and it will take effect Nov. 1. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin, left, has not said if she plans to sign the bill. (Sue Ogrocki/AP)
Lawmakers in Oklahoma approved a bill Thursday that would make performing abortions a felony and revoke the medical licenses of any physician who assists in such a procedure.

This sweeping measure, which opponents have described as unconstitutional and unprecedented, was sent to Gov. Mary Fallin (R) for her signature.

Fallin has five days to decide whether to sign the bill, and her office did not immediately respond to a request Thursday about her plans.

The Oklahoma bill is the first such measure of its kind, according to the Center for Reproductive Rights, which says that other states seeking to ban abortion have simply banned the procedure rather than attaching penalties like this.

According to the bill, a person who performs or induces an abortion will be guilty of a felony and punished with between one and three years in the state penitentiary.

This legislation also says that any physician who participates in an abortion will be “prohibited from obtaining or renewing a license to practice medicine in this state.” However, medical licenses will not be stripped from doctors who perform abortions deemed necessary to save the mother’s life.

The bill passed the Oklahoma House of Representatives with a vote of 59-to-9 last month. On Thursday, the state’s senate passed it with a vote of 33-to-12.

State Sen. Nathan Dahm, a Republican who represents Tulsa County, told the Associated Press he hopes the Oklahoma measure could eventually lead to the overturning of Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 Supreme Court decision that recognized a woman’s right to an abortion.

The Oklahoma State Medical Association, which has called the measure “troubling,” said it would not take a position on the legality of abortion. However, the group said that it would “oppose legislation that is designed to intimidate physicians or override their medical judgment.”

“Oklahoma politicians have made it their mission year after year to restrict women’s access to vital health care services, yet this total ban on abortion is a new low,” Amanda Allen, senior state legislative counsel at the Center for Reproductive Rights, a non-profit legal group, said in a statement about the measure last month. “When abortion is illegal, women and their health, futures, and families suffer.”

Allen said Thursday that her group views the bill as unconstitutional, writing in a letter to Fallin that they urge her to “veto this blatantly unconstitutional measure.” Allen also said that the bill would “almost certainly lead to expensive court challenges that the state of Oklahoma simply cannot defend in light of longstanding Supreme Court precedent.”
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:51 am

Once I worked as an intern in the state capital. One of the representatives I worked for was this middle-aged guy. And he hated the tampon and napkin machines in the women’s bathrooms. Hated them. He insisted that they weren’t necessary.

I found out why after I’d been working there, oh, about a month. My period started suddenly, as it sometimes does, and I asked to excuse myself to go to the ladies’ room. He wanted to know why. I told him.

He started ranting about how lazy women were. How we wasted time. How we were so careless and unhygenic, and that there was no call for that. He finished by telling me that I certainly was NOT going to the ladies’ room and that I was just going to sit there and work. He finished this off with a decisive nod, as if I’d just been told and there could be no possible argument.

“If I don’t go,” I said in an overly patient tone, “the blood is going to soak through my pants, stain my new skirt that I just bought, and possibly get on this chair I’m sitting in. I need something to soak up the blood. That’s why I need to go to the bathroom.”

His face turned oatmeal-gray; an expression of pure horror spread across his face. He leaned forward and whispered, “Wait, you mean that if you don’t go, you’ll just keep on bleeding? I thought that women could turn it off any time that they wanted!”

I thought, You have got to be kidding.

Several horrified whispers later, I learned that he wasn’t. He actually thought a) that women could shut down the menstrual cycle at will, b) that we essentially picked a week per month to spend more time in the bathroom, i.e. to goof off, and c) that napkins and tampons were sex toys paid for by Health and Human Services. I didn’t know the term then, but he believed that tampons were dildos. Which was why he and a good number of his friends considered them luxuries.

And that’s how, at twenty, I had to give a talk on menstruation to a middle-aged married state representative who was one of my bosses. American politics, ladies and gentlemen.

http://gehayi.tumblr.com/post/133454492 ... s-inspired
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:25 am

Supreme Court overturns Texas abortion law
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby 82_28 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:57 am

The "religious right" can't catch a break these days. Trump according to James Dobson is a "baby christian" and has accepted Jesus into his heart.

Digby has a good article on these idiots here:

http://www.salon.com/2016/06/27/not_kee ... al_voters/
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Karmamatterz » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:00 pm

Which religions would be lumped into the religious right?

Just Christians? Would right wing conservative Muslims also be considered? Hindus?

I'm very very surprised how conservative Christians (which I'm not) are consistently attacked but ultra conservative Muslims are treated as peachy keen. A Muslim woman beheaded for cheating on her husband? Nuttin to worry about. It's religious freedom. Right? A conservative Christian preacher in the U.S. rants about abortion or gays and he is called a fascist monster. Most discussions on RI that involve religion are fruitless and usually are laced with appropriate dog whistle material.
Karmamatterz

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:03 pm

Karmamatterz » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:00 pm wrote:Which religions would be lumped into the religious right?

Just Christians? Would right wing conservative Muslims also be considered? Hindus?

I'm very very surprised how conservative Christians (which I'm not) are consistently attacked but ultra conservative Muslims are treated as peachy keen. A Muslim woman beheaded for cheating on her husband? Nuttin to worry about. It's religious freedom. Right? A conservative Christian preacher in the U.S. rants about abortion or gays and he is called a fascist monster. Most discussions on RI that involve religion are fruitless and usually are laced with appropriate dog whistle material.

Bullshit. Who says that?
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby norton ash » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:07 pm

MacCruiskeen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:03 pm wrote:
Karmamatterz » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:00 pm wrote:Which religions would be lumped into the religious right?

Bullshit. Who says that?

Karmamatterz is repeating a very common right-wing meme directed against 'liberals' or 'social justice warriors' ... it's often seen on other political websites. I don't find it very applicable to RI, and I second your 'bullshit' call, Mac.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:09 pm

Thanks, norton. If karma really doez matter, then he can look forward to a next life as a mole rat for that.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:20 pm

Karmamatterz » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:00 pm wrote:A Muslim woman beheaded for cheating on her husband? Nuttin to worry about. It's religious freedom. Right? A conservative Christian preacher in the U.S. rants about abortion or gays and he is called a fascist monster. Most discussions on RI that involve religion are fruitless and usually are laced with appropriate dog whistle material.

Are you fucking kidding me? Come on man. Go find any material on RI that fits this strawman and link to it here for our edification. It certainly won't be from me or anyone I take seriously here - one of whom may still be you, despite this ridiculous statement.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Karmamatterz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:53 pm

I'll attempt to make a little more sense. I should generally stop posting on my lunch breaks when I'm hurried and don't put as much thought into things.

What I have noticed on RI is more like silence. Or perhaps this version of phpBB is so old and on life support it's search failed me. But Google also failed me when I tried to find links on RI condemning beheadings in Muslim countries. I also failed to find posts on RI about beheadings that didn't happen in Muslim countries but in places like Sweden. I fully expect some of you who have posted about this stuff and can easily find the posts or threads will do so. I spent a chunk of time browsing around and couldn't find much except in the force migration thread. So not trying to be argumentative, but keep this rational. I looked for the usual threads and such but just don't see them. I do see a ton of threads and hundreds of posts about Nazis and fascists. But when looking for stuff about everyday beheadings it's not very apparent. Let's set aside the Jim Foley thing for now as that is not what I'm talking about. He could have been a spook or maybe that was all fake, who knows. What I'm getting at is not about political terrorism, but everyday life in Muslim countries, especially Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Sharia law allows for the stoning, beheading and crucifixion of people for various crimes. I am not an expert on this stuff, far from it. As a matter of fact not even close to a scholar about Christianity, (nor do I want to be) but I am a recovering Catholic. :yay I quit going to church when I turned 18 and have not looked back. I am not a right winger either. By the way Norton, I don't troll, read or study up on right wing websites. I stumble on a few here and there when searching for stuff, most often related to what is being discussed on here. For the record, I tend to try and look at both sides of things more often than not. Not saying I'm non biased or any stupid crap like that, but looking at both sides of the situation. So if any of you think I'm trying to blow the usual right wing dog whistles that is not the case at all.

Honestly, folks on this forum do tend to lambast Christian ministers or politicians who thump the Bible and quote chapter and verse. Those preachers often deserve it! I generally think those Bible thumpers are idiots and they make themselves look bad doing what they do. The Orlando thread has at least two references to what I'm talking about. They made rather ill-timed, insensitive and fairly outrageous comments about the Orlando shooting victims. I'm also not on this site everyday or have only been seriously reading regularly in the past six months or so. As mentioned before, I've been a lurker on RI for about 10 years. So perhaps I've missed a lot of stuff and am writing some of this in ignorance.

When I did some simple Google searches I found a ton of links for Muslims (and some non-Muslims) being stoned, beheaded or crucified by Muslims. I am not anti Muslim any more than I am anti Catholic, Hindi etc... I have found Buddhism fascinating at times but that too waned. So all in all I'm not huge anti-religious person, but I'm also not a big supporter either. I am more picky about hypocrisy and dog whistle stuff posted about the evil Christians and the idiot things they say when other more hideous thing go on and nobody writes about that. What is VERY interesting is the very lack of threads and posts on this site that are critical of Sharia law and the Muslim religion in general. It's extremely sexist and many Muslims apparently (based on Google searches) think it's okay to treat women horribly. Why no threads on that? We have AD posting constantly about white males being crazed right wing fascists and other threads about the white patriarchy etc....Not to pick on AD, but he makes a good example for what I'm trying to address. Are we afraid of being critical of these barbaric punishments because perhaps we will be labeled bigots? Or worse, we get targeted like Charlie Hebdo? Sorta doubt the latter.

So what is worse? An idiot Sacramento Baptist minister screaming about gays or people who make it their law and way of life to behead woman? Is stoning a woman to death for adultery worse than the crazy religious right in the U.S.? The examples are endless, the message is the same: Why no continual conversations on RI about horrific things done to women by men that are Muslim? There is some really nasty shit going on out there in the world. I'm just amazed at how often in the U.S. white males are ridiculed for making a stupid sexist comment and the blogs and forums are full of rage and anger. But in Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc...women are fricking beheaded and it goes unnoticed here. That's all I'm saying.

I am far from a right winger, but also don't want to be called a leftie. Both are obnoxious and not appropriate. So before some of you start with the usual asshole attacks, labels, accusing me of being a right wing fascist etc...just do a bit of poking around yourself and see if what I'm referring to is right or wrong. I could very well be wrong. I don't have all day to sit at the keyboard and research, please keep that in mind. For reference I copied a few links that discuss beheadings and the few links I could find on RI via Google. I did not vett the links. For all we know all the info in the links is fabricated and all the authorities lied about every bit of info in the articles.

Amnesty International list many beheadings along with crucifixions: https://www.amnesty.org/en/search/?q=be ... =relevance

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/articl ... xy1pn8xX4x

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2014/10/vide ... r-adultery

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/05/ ... ondon.html Yeah yeah, it’s Fox, but who trusts any of the media? Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5TK2OmTkSQ

http://pamelageller.com/2014/10/islamic ... eath.html/ (the video quality gets progressively worse and is disturbing) For all I know it's all fake.

http://shoebat.com/2015/01/15/video-wom ... blic-view/

http://www.breitbart.com/national-secur ... er-sharia/ (Yes its Breitbart but others wrote about the story also.)

IKEA store woman and son murdered by beheading.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... -refugees/

https://newrepublic.com/article/125069/ ... ed-justice

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... sharia+law

http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/ ... =8&t=39527

http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/ ... um.php?f=8

Orlando thread on so called Christians spouting Bible verses after murders at Pulse. In this thread there are links to a Texas politician and a California Baptist minister.
http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/ ... 5&start=30
Last edited by Karmamatterz on Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karmamatterz

Postby backtoiam » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:49 am

Karmamatterz you delivered bro...I read what you wrote. It was long but you did a good job of conveying your thoughts in a complete way. I couldn't find much to disagree with and you put your heart into it. I'm gonna examine those links too.

I also agree with you that this stark difference in culture needs to be examined.

Lets face it, "white men" treat their "women" a hell of a lot better than this middle eastern culture does. Our females are allowed to wear bikinis and do as they will.

There are places in the Middle East where women can be seriously punished for not having that Burka on that head. If they get caught out on the street breaking Sharia Law the price can be damn heavy.

Its a real deal and that is why we have all these young angry horny middle eastern men causing havoc with young girls. These mid east guys, a lot of em, never saw a "candy store" before. They like it. I agree that we should be able to discuss that without being "bigots" because we are not bigots............

We are observers of reality...........Peace......... :wink
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby Blue » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:27 am

backtoiam wrote:Our females are allowed to wear bikinis and do as they will.

Is this fucking satire?

Since everyone already knows women are punished, tortured and murdered on a regular basis by Sharia Law Enforcers there is no need to document each occurrence.

Way to murky up the waters of the war on women tho. Must be MRA's.
Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion