PROMETHEUS

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: PROMETHEUS

Postby Searcher08 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:42 pm

Nordic » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:27 am wrote:I tried to watch the Total Recall remake and it was godawful.

Remakes and reboots are nothing but manifestations of the complete lack of creativity in a corporate controlled Hollywood.

In other words, if they have any redeeming quality it's quite by accident.

There is zero reason to get excited about them. It's like getting excited for the new incarnation of the McRib. That shit ain't food.

Interesting, I preferred it to the original :) I found it much darker, although it was like two films, the first before the ReQall event, which was very Blade Runner ish and the second which was like a two hour long chase / fight with zero imagination.

Films seem to be going from movies to events, where there is a maximum of a couple of weekends before it is over. The number of people that I saw who went to / read 50 Shades was interesting.
They seemed to have an ironic 'I'm just going to confirm how crap it is' and could say 'well the book is better'; a better demonstration of being a sheep eludes me.
Searcher08

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nordic » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:06 am

Searcher08 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:42 pm wrote:
Nordic » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:27 am wrote:I tried to watch the Total Recall remake and it was godawful.

Remakes and reboots are nothing but manifestations of the complete lack of creativity in a corporate controlled Hollywood.

In other words, if they have any redeeming quality it's quite by accident.

There is zero reason to get excited about them. It's like getting excited for the new incarnation of the McRib. That shit ain't food.

Interesting, I preferred it to the original :) I found it much darker, although it was like two films, the first before the ReQall event, which was very Blade Runner ish and the second which was like a two hour long chase / fight with zero imagination.

Films seem to be going from movies to events, where there is a maximum of a couple of weekends before it is over. The number of people that I saw who went to / read 50 Shades was interesting.
They seemed to have an ironic 'I'm just going to confirm how crap it is' and could say 'well the book is better'; a better demonstration of being a sheep eludes me.

Well, in about ten years you can expect a "reimagining" of "50 shades of shit". Starring, I dunno, Suri Cruise?
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby semper occultus » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:18 am

semper occultus » 27 Feb 2015 10:32 wrote:
(Update: A day later, Blomkamp says his intention is not to “undo” the third and fourth films. Parse that as you will.)

....she dreamt it all in hyper-sleep...
semper occultus

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:26 pm

I parse that as a very confused young man realizing he needs to be careful what he says in public -- at least, prior to understanding the power structures behind the franchise he's signed on for. He's had a tough year with honesty getting him in trouble already; his comments about Elysium being something he "fucked up" were no doubt hugely appreciated by the suits at Sony in charge of, you know, selling that turd on Blu-Ray and DVD around the world.

It's probably a gesture more than anything else -- there's no way to pick up where James Cameron left off without consigning Alien3 and Joss Whedon's Worst Mistake to the recycle bin. This is a franchise that has broken a lot of extremely talented people.

Read the backstory behind Alien3 and you'll walk away much, much more sympathetic to Fincher, who inherited a disaster zone and succeeded simply by virtue of not committing suicide prior to final edit.

Pretty much every argument between Ripley and The Suits, in any of the films, can be taken as a meta-commentary on the franchise itself.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Zombie Glenn Beck » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:30 pm

Handsome B. Wonderful » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:51 pm wrote:
2012 Countdown wrote:I am not understanding the insult of 'engineer'. I think its a good as any word. They are engineering life. Maybe 'operators'? Conductors?
They aren't really scientists, they seem to just be doing what they are instructed to do/procedure.

The most frustrating part for me was when the opportunity to have a dialogue with them happened, and he didn't say a thing, just went bizerk. Dude had to know he could do that at any time, no interaction. Raw rage and emotional. Very advanced/mature of him. "Forgive them lord, for they know not what they do"...Christ would likely turn the other cheek. At least have a conversation before turning the place out.

Oh, and in the next one, if they keep going with the 'we want to destroy humanity/earth because of what they did to Christ' angle, I will be very dissapointed.
Come on. Very infantile. Goodwin aside, blame humanity is like blaming the jews. Whatever.

I don't know. I thought he was pissed to wake up after 2000 years and see two of the worst of humanity, in his eyes, an old rich man who doesn't want to die and a synthetic being. Not to mention a couple of goons who have weapons (I assume, can't remember if they had weapons or not). So he destroys them because he has to finish the job after we killed their emissary. It was their way of giving us one last chance and when we crucify him they go about exterminating us, except the mutagen gets out and starts killing them. At least that's the way it was explained to me. I saw it with a couple of buddies of mine.

Youre forgetting the full context of that scene. This is the biggest moment in humanities history, our chance to make contact with an advanced alien species. Whats the first impression we make? A guy who is so old and sick he can barely stand is begging for immortality via the equivalent of google translate, meanwhile the onlookers manage to scream incoherently at it, wave guns around and punch a woman. Like, our one chance to change what they think of us, to show them how much weve grown and evolved, and we completely fuck it up. The engineer took one look at us and just went, "Jesus Christ, theyre spreading."
barracuda wrote:The path from RI moderator to True Blood fangirl to Jehovah's Witness seems pretty straightforward to me. Perhaps even inevitable.
Zombie Glenn Beck

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:39 pm

^^My sense was that the Engineer didn't kill them all immediately because he was fascinated by David, which he did not engineer.

The second he understood that David was serving the frail old greedhead, solutions ensued immediately.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby brekin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:19 pm

Regarding the surge in reboots. After watching the recent inferior RoboCop I started thinking about cultural amnesia albeit in a gross pop cultural way. These reboots are ready made cash makers but I think they are pretty much always going to suck. Here's my Tuesday morning theory why.

Right now we have three major generations in play, Boomers, GenXers, & Millennials who I would say patronize these films. Boomers and Millenials with larger numbers create a reverse bell curve sandwiching Gen Xers who technically have a shorter time capture demographically (The two other, Matures and Gen Z'ers aren't in play so much with this I think.) It is pretty easy to refab these films for Millennial audiences, add more technological polish and faux social commentary but remove the complexity. Boomers and Gen Xers will see the films because of the off chance the films are improvements on the originals or at the very least will be clever homages to the source material. (Like the Batman franchise, sort of, its complicated.)

Gross generalization: Boomers grew up with the golden age of science fiction, which lets be honest, is pretty juvenile if not infantile at most times. George Lucas, Spielberg, Zemeckis, etc were weaned on the Flash Gordon serial types and 50's horror movies. That is why Star Wars, E.T., Close Encounters, Back to the Future, etc have such a enjoyable naivete and innocence to them. Another gross generalization: Boomers don't have high standards for sci fi because they made do with card board sets and in many ways actually own now some of the technology they saw as children on television. But they do have a strong human element that is core to even the most technological orientated narratives, if albeit simplistic. Growing up in a country where technology did indeed improve the lives of many and increased affluence and entertainment they are less critical of technology and treat sci fi (well excepting the orthodox sci fi fan) as more fantasy.

Into the 70's and thru the 80's though as technology started to encroach on people's lives, nuclear war, automation, drug epidemic, crime, aids, recession, etc there was more of a strain where sci-fi became more gritty and horror based. To reappropriate the word cyber punk for a moment, and not use it in a narrow genre a la William Gibson, but to liken it to the punk movement in music, some strains of main stream sci-fi stopped being operatic in their adulation of technology and became shocking, crude challengers of the mainstream meme that science will only improve life. Marbled in with Short Circuit, Back to the Future, and all the Star Trek films there was They Live, Alien Nation, Predator, Enemy Mine, The Brother From Another Planet, Blade Runner, Scanners, Escape from New York, RoboCop and untold number of post-nuclear futures. Not to mention all the sci-fi made in the 70's like Planet of the Apes, Omega Man, Logans Run, that were social commentaries that one tends to think were made in the 60's but weren't. Many challenged the simplistic narrative and added depth, realism and social questions.

This kind of continued into the 90's until the internet happened and The Matrix film was released. It was a return of sorts to the simplistic omnipotence of the golden age of science fiction that rescued the people stuck in the dark, orwellian dsytopians created during the 80's-90's. Watching sci films now it is hard to see any of them as social critiques because there is so much loving care and neat design given to the technology in the films. The recent RoboCop and even obvious social critiques like District 9 and Elysium dilute their critiques because we get lost in the relentless shining and polishing of the technology. For Millennials being exposed to these "new" films it seems whatever complex message that was in the originals from the 70s-90s (which may have been originally lifted and refined from sci-fi print stories of the 50 and 60's) is getting lost in a constant barrage of Sharper Image uber Gadgets and Heads up Displays.

Watching the recent RoboCop film it seemed to hold to the general trend of whether the argument of more technology integrated into corporations and people's lives seems like a non-starter now. It is more just who gets to control it, which is a puffball argument because that has already been settled. And when you constantly fetishize all this predatory military tech and invasive software I don't see how you can be running a free advertising campaign on the one hand and then say gee, maybe this stuff isn't such a good idea because what if the hero doesn't get to control it.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Thank you for sharing your perspective, brekin.

Gross generalization: Boomers grew up with the golden age of science fiction, which lets be honest, is pretty juvenile if not infantile at most times. George Lucas, Spielberg, Zemeckis, etc were weaned on the Flash Gordon serial types and 50's horror movies.

I think that's fair to say, but being one weaned on Flash Gordon, I can't tell you how very disappointed I was that 2001 A Space Odyssey was not in anyway similar, though I found it fascinating. I was in a state of confusion for a week afterward, trying to figure out what it was I had watched - after then, I gave up trying to understand its symbology. I'm still haunted by the time contraction scenes toward the end Dave experience before his death and the birth of the star child.
Iamwhomiam

Postby brekin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:16 pm

Iamwhomiam » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:42 pm wrote:Thank you for sharing your perspective, brekin.

Gross generalization: Boomers grew up with the golden age of science fiction, which lets be honest, is pretty juvenile if not infantile at most times. George Lucas, Spielberg, Zemeckis, etc were weaned on the Flash Gordon serial types and 50's horror movies.

I think that's fair to say, but being one weaned on Flash Gordon, I can't tell you how very disappointed I was that 2001 A Space Odyssey was not in anyway similar, though I found it fascinating. I was in a state of confusion for a week afterward, trying to figure out what it was I had watched - after then, I gave up trying to understand its symbology. I'm still haunted by the time contraction scenes toward the end Dave experience before his death and the birth of the star child.

Indeed. Thanks for that insight. It reminded me how Interstellar recently seemed to try to reconcile those two poles of Flash Gordon simplicity and 2001 A Space Odyssey complexity. I don't think it succeeded but it was a good attempt at least. There was some neat action and very moving human moments in Interstellar and some higher order mystique but it really, for me, kind of veered waist deep into the Flash Gordonesque hokum too much and the adolescent "I have a clever magic trick that will fool you" Inception-think that passes now for depth. Anywho, it would be nice to be haunted a bit again by something, huh? I get chills, but they're not multiplying.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:24 pm

Anywho, it would be nice to be haunted a bit again by something, huh? I get chills, but they're not multiplying.

True enough. Maybe it's time for me to watch "Eyes wide Shut"?
Iamwhomiam

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Iamwhomiam » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:24 pm wrote:
Anywho, it would be nice to be haunted a bit again by something, huh? I get chills, but they're not multiplying.

A few recommendations: http://www.brainsturbator.com/posts/435 ... ovies-2014

Specifically, The Babadook, Honeymoon, Under the Skin and Starry Eyes.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby brekin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:58 pm wrote:
Iamwhomiam » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:24 pm wrote:

A few recommendations: http://www.brainsturbator.com/posts/435 ... ovies-2014

Specifically, The Babadook, Honeymoon, Under the Skin and Starry Eyes.

Thanks, haven't seen any of those except one. I'll have to check some out.
brekin

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:34 pm

Wow! Thanks Mr. WRex. Sadly, I won't be able to find any of these in a redbox. But I will watch all once I get my hotspot and truly enter the computer age. A few sound familiar, but I can't trust my memory so I'll visit IMDb to learn more.

The scariest movie I do remember seeing as a young teen was the subtitled version of the French film,
Diabolique. The original version of House on Haunted Hill scared me so badly, I ran right out of the theater and into the street. It was the scene where the elderly blind woman caretaker suddenly popped out of a wine cellar, while two 'guests' were inspecting it. I smashed my knee so badly turning to leave my seat, I limped for more than a week. But I did go back in to watch the rest and be scared again and again!
This I remember seeing again, as an adult many years ago and found it amateurish at best. Premature Burial was another that shook me long after seeing it.

These days it seems I figure most movies out very quickly, but really enjoy best those with a twist that I hadn't detected.

Deeply appreciate your learned assistance Rex.
Iamwhomiam

Postby norton ash » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:40 pm

I saw Alien on a hot summer night in 1979 in a small air-conditioned theatre and I was whacked on homegrown weed. I was 17, with my high school sweetie and a gang of hipster-nerds. We walked up the hill home into a red setting sun in a hazy white forest fire sky after it ended at 9:30.

The art and shocks and skill of the thing were amazing, still are. I was tainted by a Newsweek review (high school library, feet on the table... or Crooks drug store) that said it was merely a haunted house movie on a spaceship. There must be a reason I remembered that night. Maybe I will strive for innocence restored.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby MayDay » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:19 am

I recently began watching film again after a very long break. I mostly avoid Hollywood crap, although the decent gem comes along every now and then. For instance, I enjoyed all of the B's that took the awards this year- Budapest, Boyhood (I go to the same college Linklater graduated from), and Birdman, in that order. Mostly I watch weird indie speculative/ sfi-fi/ fantasy stuff. I made a list just now on this site I've been using to find all of these great films over the past year and a half. Some of them are heart warming/ breaking, some are triggering and scary, some of them are just plain indecipherable. All of them will *make you think*, at least to some degree, some more than others. Click on the thumbs for details/ ratings/ reviews-
Check it out:
http://letterboxd.com/daveyevad/list/weird-sf/
Babadook
Starry Eyes
Sound of My Voice
Safety Not Gauranteed
Timecrimes
Triangle
John Dies at the End
Upstream Color
Europa Report
Primer
Another Earth
I Origins
Visioneers
Escape From Tomorrow
Antiviral
Sleep Dealer
Coherence
Just to name a few of the more recent. I'll be adding more as I remember them.
Screw Hollywood. It's all crap.
MayDay

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion