Aurora CO Theater Massacre

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Aurora CO Theater Massacre

Postby Luposapien » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:49 am

An ad that caught my eye at Alternet this morning. Didn't click on the link to see where it would take me, so don't know who is responsible, but would seem a bit much at the moment, even minus the addition of the orange hair.
Luposapien

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby geogeo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:07 pm

geogeo wrote:Speaking of the victims, has there been any further discussion or speculation regarding Jessica Ghawi/Jessica Redfield? http://twitter.com/jessicaredfield and http://jessicaredfield.wordpress.com/about/

Her blog only ever had two posts, one of which was on the Toronto mall shooting. She was active on Twitter. Both these accounts are still open, perhaps a little odd. She was Palestinian American, and a journalist. But I remember some discussion about her having seen a guy in a Batman costume in Toronto?

It doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that she might have known something, found out something, overhead something, etc., enough so that she was singled out to be killed (she was shot twice; once in the head). She could even have used the sports blogger persona as cover for deeper investigative work; there are more troubling possibilities as well.

I know, I know, this is just speculation, but I think it bears consideration nonetheless. It could be that more than one desirable target was lured to the theater; who knows if that's even possible?? I do know that there appear to have been cases in the past where a mass shooting or an exploding plane are used to mask an assassination. I always had the vague feeling that this might have been the case with the Beltway shooters as well.

In following up at length on this, I read her brother's material extensively. He, it was, who demanded of both the White House press secretary, and Obama, personally, that they not refer to the shooter by name, but instead focus on the victims. He had a more extensive website than his sister prior to the attack, but nothing spectacular. Nothing stood out as odd about him, but clearly he routed all press contacts through a sports journalist guy, I'm presuming someone his sister knew. His sister's name was the first victim name known, and her story thus blanketed the airwaves to the extent that the next next day, he asked the media to please focus on the other victims.

One report clearly had her boyfriend in Toronto, having received a message from him, then he went to bed as she went in to the movie. That was apparently wrong, as he was there, but fled the theater, wounded, after seeing that his girlfriend had been shot in the lower body, then in the head. That's only possibly odd, as they were up toward the middle and were obviously behind seats and on the floor, unless the shooter was up close (which the boyfriend didn't say), or, more likely, a stray bullet simply hit her there. Assuming the story is accurate. The brother did also hint that no blame whatsoever be placed on the boyfriend.

As for the Toronto angle, she was there visiting her boyfriend, and the mall is the city's top attraction, even though it's in an area rife with violence; there have been a number of shootings in the past. The shooting was by a Guyanese immigrant of a Somali-American, possibly immigrant or at least son of one. They were in the same street gang. One or both had been involved in cocaine trafficking. The Somali who died (other victim was apparently collateral damage; died later) was directly targeted. Other than the fact that they and Jessica were of the same age, no immediately suspicious connections.

The circumstance of being 'at' two mass shootings might appear rather unlikely, but the Toronto mall shooting was a gang-related crime of the type that occurs every day in metro areas, and not unusual at giant malls of this type, or near them, but mostly don't get reported on outside local press. Medium strange is the Middle Eastern/'Muslim' tinge to it all, and the association with red (from Ghawi to 'Redfield', and was red-headed; Aurora; Holmes's red hair). Exceedingly strange is her tweet on the batman character in Toronto.

In my thought universe, this could (note, 'could') be explained via the types of exotic socially-engineered events that could be occurring, systematically, by a twisted, trickster-type secret ops community (the kind that creates some of those creepy mission patches Trevor Paglen documents) tasked to experiment upon, control, do who-knows-what, to the American public. This is the same type of group that embedded Thelemic numerological significance in 9-11 events, and otherwise likes to f-- with us (and whose power is too often well-meaningly, attributed to the devil, or to trickster figures, or twists of fate and synchronicities, or space aliens, or some inherently really curious characteristics of the universe...). This community ('study group X') would have to know that its goals, achievements, and the identities of its members are completely secure to conceive and perpetrate such dastardly acts. Granted immunity and/or secrecy, preferably both, many human beings will engage in rather unbelievably creepy stuff, Nazidoctors being a case in point.

Here's a possibility -- shroud each targeted crime, which also has specific objectives, like to kill one or two people who need to be killed (i.e. in this case, maybe the military folks in the audience), with an element of high weirdness to make it invulnerable to scrutiny. Seed the weird phenomena that will attract the fringe crowd, who will then speculate and fill the Internet with their ravings, thus driving away respectable discourse but making for a heck of a 'science project'. You get a situation, perhaps, where orders come to our 'study group X' to embellish the scene of a crime to be committed. You could have a few folks working on the narrative to be created, others working on a few synchronicities, etc. Maybe these folks know nothing about the actual place and time, but are just tasked to imagine and document scenarios (they are then terrified, but must remain silent, when they see that their 'imaginary scenarios' end up as actual crimes; or perhaps they have become immune). You could also have an analysis unit that always gets to dig into all sorts of results from this, and these days, troll through massive amount of public response. Thus they learn more about how we react, which definitely excites them--for the sheer joy of research, not because any one event takes the country anywhere new (perhaps there are certain parameters for each psy-op, such as 'acceptable level of social fear and alienation must be demonstrable' for it to be ok'ed by whomever might have the task to ok such things. Is suspect they would have to quantify all this. Needless to say, the secret state continues to swallow up a vast number of psychologists and sociologists who continue to produce an enormous 'black literature' of which we know nothing about, whether or not it involves data on this type of event.)

I only spew all this as a reflection on the sorts of things one can read about in Killing Hope, happening in other countries, as ways to get people to doubt their own sanity and doubt that communism was a viable system--or just to scare the living hell out of them. Even back in the old days, you had the CIA in the Philippines grabbing communist insurgents and killing them in exactly the type of way that local beliefs held were ascribable to a demon (hanging them up and letting their blood drain out), flying above the clouds or at night and broadcasting frightening message, etc. What I'm saying is that IF you permit the possibility that psychological operations are at the very core of the secret state, and that they are and have long been targeted against the citizens of NATO states--with absolutely NO accountability--THEN you can read a psychological dimension into just about every suspect mass crime, not just into day-to-day media manipulation. And these days their black budget is even larger, and there are far more recruits.
as below so above
geogeo

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:53 pm

“We refer to the operation as an Exercise of General Synthesis. A highly-placed personality has done detailed planning for it.” -- No Time to Think
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Luther, Perhaps using the term "broad" was a bit insensitive, but Alchemy certainly did not blame her in any way for the events that transpired.

By the way, her dismissal from the Navy for suffering from a "Personality Disorder" was more likely the result of her telling the truth when asked; that she was a lesbian. She had attended the flick with her 'partner."

And her vulgar remarks about the fate of her assailant, I'm sure, were likely also uttered by several other survivors. Not an all that uncommon reaction, in my experience.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Freitag » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Wombaticus Rex wrote:“We refer to the operation as an Exercise of General Synthesis. A highly-placed personality has done detailed planning for it.” -- No Time to Think

:shock: Very interesting, thanks for digging that up.
Freitag

Postby waugs » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:34 pm

I just came across this article about Phillip Anschutz on Alex Constantine's blog. He's a billionaire Christian who owns Regal Cinemas. It seems his family donated the money to build the Anschutz medical campus where Holmes was studying.

http://aconstantineblacklist.blogspot.c ... tners.html
waugs

Postby justdrew » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Iamwhomiam wrote:Luther, Perhaps using the term "broad" was a bit insensitive, but Alchemy certainly did not blame her in any way for the events that transpired.

By the way, her dismissal from the Navy for suffering from a "Personality Disorder" was more likely the result of her telling the truth when asked; that she was a lesbian. She had attended the flick with her 'partner."

And her vulgar remarks about the fate of her assailant, I'm sure, were likely also uttered by several other survivors. Not an all that uncommon reaction, in my experience.

I read extensively at her blog and I came away with the distinct impression that her 'partner' was male and had a male name. Not that it's very important, and of course I could be wrong.

I don't think there's anything vulgar about suggesting her assailant should if sentenced to death die in a fashion commensurate to his crime. Firing squad is still an option in Utah and possibly other states I think. Personally I'd prefer such people not be put to death, generally. As for her observation that it's "sad" that so many froze rather than react, well, I don't consider that offensive, I'd say most likely in her military training the saying, "There's two kinds of soldier, the quick and the dead" was drilled in. Still, people don't just fight/flight, the saying nowadays really is "fight/flight/freeze" - freeze is a normal response.

She describes the events around her discharge, read about it if you're interested.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby elfismiles » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:16 pm

James Holmes' Psychiatrist Contacted University Police Weeks Before Movie-Theater Shooting: ABC Exclusive
ABC NewsBy MARK GREENBLATT, CAROL McKINLEY and MIKE GUDGELL | ABC News – 2 hrs 19 mins ago

The psychiatrist who treated suspected movie-theater shooter James Holmes made contact with a University of Colorado police officer to express concerns about her patient's behavior several weeks before Holmes' alleged rampage, sources told ABC News.

The sources did not know what the officer approached by Dr. Lynne Fenton did with the information she passed along. They said, however, that the officer was recently interviewed, with an attorney present, by the Aurora Police Department as a part of the ongoing investigation of the shooting.

Fenton would have had to have serious concerns to break confidentiality with her patient to reach out to the police officer or others, the sources said. Under Colorado law, a psychiatrist can legally breach a pledge of confidentiality with a patient if he or she becomes aware of a serious and imminent threat that their patient might cause harm to others. Psychiatrists can also breach confidentiality if a court has ordered them to do so.

"For any physician to break doctor-patient confidentiality there would have to be an extremely good reason," said Dr. Carol Bernstein, Dr. Carol Bernstein, a psychiatrist at NYU Langone Medical Center and past president of the American Psychiatric Association.

Bernstein has no specific knowledge of the Holmes case and spoke in general terms.

"Confidentiality is a key part of the doctor-patient relationship," she said. "It is central to everything we do."

ABC news and affiliate KMGH-TV in Denver first reported Wednesday that Fenton had contacted other members of the university's threat-assessment team about her concerns. The university-wide, threat-assessment team reportedly never met to discuss Holmes after he announced his intent to withdraw from the University nearly six weeks before the July 20 shooting that left 12 dead and 58 injured.

University of Colorado spokeswoman Jacque Montgomery declined to comment on what, if anything, the university police officer might have done with information provided by Fenton, citing a court-issued gag order preventing her from confirming or denying any information related to Fenton or the investigation.

In a written statement to ABC News, however, the university said campus police officers are "frequently involved" in meetings of the university's Behavioral Evaluation and Threat Assessment (BETA) team.

The statement went on to say that police involvement with threat assessment "could include security matters, badge access, background checks, wellness checks, criminal investigations and referrals and outreach to other law enforcement agencies."

An attorney for Fenton declined to comment.

http://news.yahoo.com/james-holmes-psyc ... ories.html
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:31 am

justdrew

I read extensively at her blog and I came away with the distinct impression that her 'partner' was male and had a male name. Not that it's very important, and of course I could be wrong.

I don't think there's anything vulgar about suggesting her assailant should if sentenced to death die in a fashion commensurate to his crime.

That the news article mentioned her being with her "partner" and others with their "boyfriend" led me to my conclusion, but of course I could certainly be wrong. The military, at least perhaps until most recently considered homosexuality to be resultant from a "personality disorder." But this does not add anything of substance to the conversation nor do I believe it matters.

But I do find this comment of yours surprising and more than a bit disturbing:

"I don't think there's anything vulgar about suggesting her assailant should if sentenced to death die in a fashion commensurate to his crime."

Sorry to disagree, but to me this is a vulgar and repulsive thought; imagining one suffering in pain and bleeding to death. Vengeful indeed and not much to do with justice, but as I said, comments like these are rather common among some victims and survivors.
Iamwhomiam

Postby justdrew » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:38 am

I don't endorse that course of action, I just don't think it's "vulgar" for a survivor to suggest it, it's as normal as freezing.

It's undoubtedly unfortunate that everyone isn't ready to fully transcend the visceral desire for eye-for-an-eye style repercussions.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby 8bitagent » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:03 am

Sometimes I am a collector of data, and only a collector, and am likely to be gross and miserly, piling up notes, pleased with merely numerically adding to my stores. Other times I have joys, when unexpectedly coming upon an outrageous story that may not be altogether a lie, or upon a macabre little thing that may make some reviewer of my more or less good works mad. But always there is present a feeling of unexplained relations of events that I note, and it is this far-away, haunting, or often taunting, awareness, or suspicion, that keeps me piling on. ~ Charles Fort, Wild Talents (1932).

Recently, in comments at Twilight Language, a person using the name Daurade, sent this along:

Mr. Coleman, I have read enough of your posts to believe the Copycat Effect is totally plausible, very difficult to refute. But I'm not sure why you go into coincidences so much. Name symbolism, ladies in red showing up at the Olympics etc.
I do this kind of thing as a poetic exercise. [A few writers] believe these are indications that a "cryptocracy" is staging events for their own nefarious agenda. I suppose I could agree that these synchronicities are in the air and thus play into the copycat effect.
To be honest, I'm not sure what your getting at when you talk about the meaning of names and show things such as "Aurora" on a building in a trailer. Are you suggesting a conspiracy or what exactly? Not being facetious or snarky, just a bit befuddled.

I'm befuddled too. I am also mystified and unable to deliver any clear answers to most universal questions. That's fine. I'm comfortable with the excluded muddled middle, and with side treks into what appears to be experiments in conclusions. I'm a Fortean. To be open to Fortean thinking means to allow myself a more holistic and interconnected view of the world. Charles Fort once wrote of a world sense I share, "My liveliest interest is not so much in things, as in relations of things. I have spent much time thinking about the alleged pseudo-relations that are called coincidences. What if some of them should not be coincidence?"

"The fate of all explanation is to close one door
only to have another fly wide open." ~ Charles Fort

http://copycateffect.blogspot.com/searc ... 2:00-04:00
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:07 am

Well, again I have to disagree. I don't think it "normal" at all to have such vengeful desires, but it is understandable that some do react this way. We do live in an extremely violent society.

Fortunately, or perhaps, unfortunately, many of us have been spared the violent horrors many others around the world experience daily. Unfortunately I say because our ignorance allows us the illusion of living in a peaceful society rather than our seeing it as it is: a Peacemaker society. As in Colt Peacemaker.

I should have noted or acknowledged that such a wish as hers would not be yours.

It's undoubtedly unfortunate that everyone isn't ready to fully transcend the visceral desire for eye-for-an-eye style repercussions."

Yes, it is indeed unfortunate.

I'd personally be much happier if there just weren't so many of the Radical Right.
Iamwhomiam

Postby 2012 Countdown » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:25 pm

US mayors run ad during Olympics coverage calling for tighter gun controls
High-profile spot features survivors of Tucson shooting and compares US gun violence to 'three Aurora shootings every day'

-
A group of US mayors joined forces with survivors of the Tucson gun rampage on Sunday to step up their campaign for tighter gun controls in the wake of the recent mass killing in Aurora, Colorado.

-
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/au ... un-control
George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
2012 Countdown

Postby elfismiles » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:09 am

Judge accused of creating ‘unusual shroud of secrecy’ in movie theater shooting caseBy Jason Sickles, Yahoo!
Staff Writer
By Jason Sickles, Yahoo! | The Lookout – 3 hrs ago

http://www.scribd.com/doc/102441014/Jam ... ing-Report

The former grad student charged in last month's deadly shooting rampage at a Colorado movie theater gave his religion as "agnostic" and his occupation as "laborer" when he was booked into jail, according to a document released to Yahoo News this week.

The Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office booking report provides few other details about James Eagan Holmes or his motive for allegedly opening fire during a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises." Twelve people were killed and 58 wounded.

The 24-year-old suspected gunman gave jailers his mother's name as an emergency contact.

The redacted two-page report was obtained by Yahoo News under a Colorado public records request. A request for additional records was denied.

"In weighing the public interests versus the private interests, the public interest would not be served by disclosing additional records," Arapahoe County Sheriff J. Grayson Robinson wrote in a response to Yahoo News.

"Mr. Holmes could potentially be significantly impacted by the release of his records and any corresponding publicity," he continued.

Robinson said part of his decision was based on a pretrial gag order issued by Chief District Judge William Sylvester.

The judge's order to seal all records related to Holmes' arrest will be debated in court Thursday. Several media organizations have asked Sylvester to scale back his order barring the release of search warrants, inventories of evidence and other records publicly available in criminal cThe gag order has prohibited the University of Colorado from releasing public records related to the suspect's time there as a Ph.D. neuroscience student. The Aurora Police Department has also stopped answering routine questions about the shooting.

An editorial by the Denver Post says Sylvester's order has "imposed an unusual shroud of secrecy on the case" and goes beyond protecting the defendant's right to a fair trial.

"Barriers against secrecy are important in part because of the heightened public interest and the widespread desire for justice," the paper wrote.

Releasing basic information could help the community better understand how the tragedy took place, the editorial stated.

[RELATED: How the media should cover mass shootings, and why it can't]
http://news.yahoo.com/y--big-story--how ... can-t.html

"People often follow such stories because they're responsible citizens, not because they are voyeurs out for cheap thrills," the Post wrote.

Court officials said Holmes is expected to attend Thursday's hearing, according to the Associated Press.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/jud ... 39357.html
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby RocketMan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:17 pm

FWIW, I follow Lisa Pease on Facebook (she posts interesting stuff, comes recommended) and she's been on the case from the beginning. I was actually kind of taken aback by how early and decisively she asserted that she believes Holmes to have acted in a trance.

This case is weird. America is weird. And violent.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion