KTLA: Director Tony Scott jumps from San Pedro Bridge

Moderators: DrVolin, Elvis, Jeff

KTLA: Director Tony Scott jumps from San Pedro Bridge

Postby MinM » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:38 am

Official: British director Tony Scott dead after jumping from California bridge
By Chelsea J. Carter and JD Cargill, CNN
updated 7:16 AM EDT, Mon August 20, 2012

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Director Tony Scott, best known for the films "Top Gun" and "Beverly Hills Cop II," died in an apparent suicide Sunday when he jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro, California, a Los Angeles County coroner official said.

"There's nothing to indicate it is anything else at this time," said Lt. Joe Bale of the coroner's office.

Scott, 68, jumped from the bridge at about 12:30 p.m., Bale said. The bridge spans the Los Angeles Harbor, connecting San Pedro and Terminal Island.

A passerby who saw Scott jump from the bridge called 911, according to a statement released by the coroner's office late Sunday.

"The L.A. Port Police recovered the body from the water," the statement said.

The coroner's office declined to comment or confirm a Los Angeles Times report that authorities found contact information in Scott's car parked on the bridge, and later found a suicide note in his office.

Born Anthony D.L. Scott in North Shields, England, in 1944, Tony -- as he was known -- got his start as a teenager in front of the camera, starring in his older brother Ridley Scott's film "Boy and Bicycle." In 1995, the two joined forces to create the production company, Scott Free Productions.

Simon Halls, a publicist who represents the Scott brothers, confirmed the death.

"The family asks for privacy during this time," Halls said.

Tony Scott became a household name in 1986 as director of the mega-hit "Top Gun," starring Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis. He followed that up with the Eddie Murphy action movie, "Beverly Hills Cop II" in 1987.

Actor Michael Rapaport, who was directed by Scott in "True Romance," took to Twitter to praise the director. In one post, he said there hasn't been a day since the movie was released in 1993 that someone doesn't tell him how much they loved the movie.

"Tony Scott was a sweet enthusiastic & lovin man," Rapaport wrote.

Scott cemented his reputation for big-budget action films with 1990's "Revenge" starring Kevin Costner and "Days of Thunder" with Tom Cruise. In 1998, he directed "Enemy of the State" with Will Smith and Gene Hackman.

It was on the set of "Days of Thunder" where Scott met actress Donna Wilson, whom he married in 1994. They had twin sons.

Reaction to Scott's death poured out through Twitter, with directors, actors and fans mourning the news.

"Tony Scott as a friend and a mentor was irreplaceable. Tone, wherever you are, I love you man. RIP," director and producer Joe Carnahan said on Twitter.

Carnahan recounted how when his movie "The Grey" was finished, Scott called him to tell him he had seen it. He told Carnahan it was great and not to allow anybody to change anything in it.

"Tony always sent personal, handwritten notes & always drew a cartoon caricature of himself, smoking a cigar, with his hat colored in red," Carnahan said in a post.

Director and actor Adam Shankman said his heart stopped when he heard of the "tragic death" of one of "(our) most inspiring directors, Tony Scott."

"Rest in Peace Tony. U will be missed so...," he wrote in a post on Twitter.

Director Ron Howard said simply, via Twitter: "Tragic day."

Scott directed his last film, the train thriller "Unstoppable" starring Denzel Washington, in 2010.

"For me, it was the most challenging movie of my life, and the most dangerous because I'm shooting 90 percent of the movie on a train that is running between 50 and 70 mph," Scott told CNN at the time.

Scott's reputation in Hollywood was low key.

"He wasn't a showy kind of guy," longtime entertainment reporter Jeanne Wolf told CNN.

Scott was often seen sporting a frayed, faded red ball cap on the movie sets and at red carpet premieres.

The ball cap, Wolf said, was his trademark.

While Scott's movies garnered box office success, they never received the acclaim that generated Academy Award nominations.

In 2002, the Scott brothers won an Emmy for the television movie "The Gathering Storm."

Scott also was nominated for the Emmy as a producer for the CBS drama "The Good Wife."

"So very, very sorry to hear of the death of Tony Scott," actress Martha Plimpton, who appeared in "The Good Wife," said via Twitter.

Among his last projects was serving as an executive producer on the TV miniseries, "Coma," which is due to air this year.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/20/showbiz/o ... index.html

MinM

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: KTLA: Director Tony Scott jumps from San Pedro Bridge

Postby RocketMan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:06 am

That just happened. Wow. WTF?
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby 82_28 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:46 am

This makes no fucking sense. Viewing the video SLAD posted, there's no shoulder, let alone a sidewalk. And viewing TV coverage of footage of Scott just now, the dude seems pretty damned put together and if he was going to off himself, I'd imagine he'd figure out a better way. What did he do, shimmy his way on that curb, climb that fence at the bridge's apex and jump? Looks like a kind impossible way to kill yourself to me -- unless you wanted to be killed by a passing car first.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:51 am

Deaths

On October 26, 1990, 1964 Olympic diving bronze medalist Larry Andreasen was killed jumping from the west tower of the bridge in an attempt to set a diving record.[4]

Film director Tony Scott committed suicide by jumping from the bridge on August 19, 2012.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Thomas_Bridge

Compare to:

10 Suicide Bridges People Are Most Likely to Jump Off

http://opentravel.com/blogs/10-suicide- ... -jump-off/
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:02 am

Whisky Tengo

Having brought beach volleyball to England in the Olympics, Tony Scott’s work was complete.

Comment from some site. But true and another angle to take it forward as we conspirasize as we do.
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:08 am

Could there be a Prometheus angle as well? Directed as it was by his brother. He had two young twin boys.
82_28

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:11 am

After watching that video too, I wondered the same thing. Where does he jump off? How did he get there unnoticed?

Shocking and sad.
Born we are the same, within the silence, indifference be Thy name
Torn we walk alone, we sleep in silent shades
The grandeur fades, the meaning never known- 'Born' Nevermore
Handsome B. Wonderful

Postby Elihu » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:25 am

In the old days, we actually had

to tap a wire into your phone line.

Now calls bouncin' around on satellite,

they snatch right out of the air.

What's this?

- [Dean] That's Phil Hamersly.

- expletive deleted

[Sighs]

Who's this guy? I'm gonna check

the executive N.S.A. Files.

Let's run

the photo I.D. On him.

Reynolds, Thomas Brian.

Born 9-11-40.

Attended Episcopal School, D.C.

B.A., Harvard, PhD, Princeton.

On loan from the State Department

since ' .

This guy's not a professional.

He's a politician.

[Beeping]
Stupid Evil vs Regular Evil....
Don't know who to root for in that war.
vince :
Elihu

Postby barracuda » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:02 am

82_28 wrote:This makes no fucking sense. Viewing the video SLAD posted, there's no shoulder, let alone a sidewalk. And viewing TV coverage of footage of Scott just now, the dude seems pretty damned put together and if he was going to off himself, I'd imagine he'd figure out a better way. What did he do, shimmy his way on that curb, climb that fence at the bridge's apex and jump? Looks like a kind impossible way to kill yourself to me -- unless you wanted to be killed by a passing car first.

Here's a video of the entire span taken by a motorist:

If you fast forward to about 2:40, you can see how easily you could park your car on the shoulder and walk out onto the span where the only impediment to a jump is a rather low barrier.

EDIT: Witnesses here say he scaled the ten-foot fence to jump.
barracuda

Postby brekin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:30 am

Tony Scott Confirms That ‘Top Gun 2′ Is Moving Forward
1 year ago by Sandy Schaefer
http://screenrant.com/tony-scott-top-gun-2-sandy-84359/

The world has changed significantly since Maverick (Tom Cruise) and Iceman (Val Kilmer) pledged to always be each other’s wingman in Top Gun and director Tony Scott plans for the sequel, Top Gun 2, to reflect that.

Scott spoke recently to Hit Fix and confirmed that he and producer Jerry Bruckheimer are prepping for a Top Gun followup – which Tom Cruise is willing to return for – but was mum on the subject of whether or not Maverick would be back as well.

Some 24 years have passed since Top Gun hit theaters and Scott has plans for Top Gun 2 to examine the changes that have occurred in the U.S. Air Force since. Scott’s approach was in part inspired by his encounter with a fellow who operates unmanned aircraft (a.k.a. drones) for the Air Force – an incident that has motivated the filmmaker to travel to Fallon, Nevada so that he may learn more about the computer experts and technicians that have begun to replace fighter pilots.

Paramount wants Christopher McQuarrie (Wolverine 2) to write the script for Top Gun 2, which would presumably incorporate the “unmanned aircraft controlled by party-happy computer geeks” angle that Scott is talking about. Does that mean that the sequel will enter Stealth territory and revolve around malfunctioning computer equipment – or possibly even renegade A.I.? The idea didn’t work out so well in that Rob Cohen-directed box office bomb, to put it mildly.
Will Tom Cruise Star in a Top Gun Sequel?

Tom Cruise in 'Top Gun 2' - yes or no?

The notion of a Top Gun movie that does not involve Cruise as Maverick might go over better nowadays than it would have, say, ten years ago. Even so, we’re not sure how excited everyone is by the prospect of Top Gun 2, regardless of whether or not Cruise returns. The first Top Gun is still an entertaining watch (even if, stylistically speaking, it’s firmly rooted in the 1980s), but the film did not exactly end on a note that set up or begged for a sequel.

Scott told Hit Fix that Top Gun 2 won’t be his next project, but that it could be the one right after. The filmmaker also says he neither wants to remake or reboot the original Top Gun but hopes to do “a new movie.” That’s something to be happy about… right?

Are you excited by the prospect of Top Gun 2?

Tony Scott dead: Director was set for 'Top Gun 2'
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... 2843.story

By Ben Fritz
August 20, 2012, 7:45 a.m.

Director Tony Scott, who authorities said died Sunday after jumping off a bridge, had been set to direct a sequel to the movie that made him famous, "Top Gun," as his next project. Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions had hoped to start production on the follow-up to the 1986 naval air combat classic early next year and release it as a high-profile tentpole in 2014. It was one of the highest-priority pictures in development for both companies.

The original "Top Gun," which grossed a then-spectacular $354 million worldwide, immediately turned Scott from a respected British commercial director just beginning his filmmaking career into a Hollywood A-lister (following in the footsteps of his older brother Ridley, who had already directed "Alien" and "Blade Runner").

The next year, he directed Eddie Murphy in "Beverly Hills Cop 2" and then went on to make big-budget thrillers including "Days of Thunder," "Crimson Tide," "Enemy of the State" and "Man on Fire" along with edgier fare such as "True Romance" and "Domino."

"Top Gun 2," which is currently being written, would focus on the role of drones in modern aerial warfare. It has attracted several big-name screenwriters over the last two years including Christopher McQuarrie ("The Usual Suspects") and Peter Craig ("The Town").

Tom Cruise had planned to return in his starring role as Maverick, and Jerry Bruckheimer would again produce. Convincing the duo and Scott to reunite was key in putting the long-discussed project on the runway.

"Top Gun 2" has been a passion project for Skydance chief David Ellison, the son of Silicon Valley mogul Larry Ellison, who is also an accomplished aerobatic pilot. He has been the driving force behind the movie, which Skydance would co-finance with Paramount.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Elihu » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Here's a video of the entire span taken by a motorist:

that's a heck uv a hike from either mile one or mile three to the "jumping apex".

Authorities have been talking to those on the bridge at the time of the incident, and several witnesses told police they saw Scott get out of his Toyota Prius, which was parked on the bridge, about 12:30 p.m. Sunday.

they must have slowed down to walking speed and shadowed him to the apex. "wonder what he's gonna do?". or maybe they were pulled over at the rest stop in the middle of the bridge?

that 10 ft fence didn't look like standard cyclone variety to me. the kind toes and hands can be inserted into to climb? and has a certain amount of tensile resistance which would prevent it from responding like a rope ladder? baugh, i guess any 68 year old man determined to end it all would want a decent challenge to test his own conviction...
Stupid Evil vs Regular Evil....
Don't know who to root for in that war.
vince :
Elihu

Postby dbcooper41 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:19 pm

i think it's a little interesting that the early reports included this comment:

http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_21351382/man-who-jumped-from-vincent-thomas-bridge-is
Erected in 1963, the 6,060-foot bridge links San Pedro with
Terminal Island and rises 185 feet at its highest point above
the Main Channel of Los Angeles Harbor. Many have taken their
lives by jumping from the span.

but it seems not many people at all have jumped from this bridge. later stories were changed to read:
Completed in 1963, the 6,060-foot Vincent Thomas Bridge links rises 185 feet at its highest point above the Los Angeles Harbor. Many have taken their lives by jumping from the span.
The bridge has been used in many Hollywood productions, among them "Charlie's Angels," ''Gone in 60 Seconds" and "The Fast and the Furious."
Harvey said the bridge has not been used frequently by suicide jumpers in recent years.
http://www.wral.com/entertainment/story/11447121/

so far this is only the second suicide i've found a report of from this bridge. anyone know of others?
dbcooper41

Postby barracuda » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:25 pm

Elihu wrote:they must have slowed down to walking speed and shadowed him to the apex. "wonder what he's gonna do?". or maybe they were pulled over at the rest stop in the middle of the bridge?

Er... he stopped his car on a two lane bridge span - don't you imagine that might've slowed traffic behind him?

that 10 ft fence didn't look like standard cyclone variety to me. the kind toes and hands can be inserted into to climb?

Isn't that the same bridge William Petersen bungee jumped from in To Live and Die in LA? Go to 8:35:

barracuda

Postby MinM » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:01 pm

ABC: Tony Scott had inoperable brain cancer

By ANTHONY CASTELLANO and LUCHINA FISHER (@luchina)
Aug. 20, 2012

Tony Scott, director of "Top Gun," "Days of Thunder" and "Crimson Tide," had inoperable brain cancer, a source close to him told ABC News.

The famed director died Sunday after jumping from a bridge in Los Angeles, authorities said.

Police said they received a 911 call at about 12:30 p.m. that an individual had jumped off the Vincent Thomas Bridge. The body was recovered around 3 p.m., when it was identified by authorities as Scott, according to Lt. Joseph Bale of the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office. An autopsy is scheduled to be performed today.

The Coroner's Office found several notes to loved ones in Scott's car, a spokesman told The Associated Press. A suicide note was later found at his office, according to the AP.

"I can confirm that Tony Scott has passed away. The family asks that their privacy is respected at this time," Scott's spokesman, Simon Halls, said in a statement, according to the AP.

http://thefilmstage.com/news/director-t ... t-suicide/
MinM

Next

Return to General Discussion