Fascism: What exactly is it and how do you recognize it?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Fascism: What exactly is it and how do you recognize it?

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:39 pm

Grizzly » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:01 pm wrote:Re: Paul Street

Thank God,for team Blue, and the DNC hero's whom saved us from all that!

This is no way what Street is about. He just is not letting

- a. his understanding of capitalism and the Democratic Party and liberal intelligentsia's role in the ruling order

or

- b, some binary bullshit like you are expressing here (if I say Trump bad, it must mean I'm also saying Blue Good, which you fucking KNOW from here ain't my position)

serve to

blind him to what Trump specifically has represented, unleashed, and attempted to lead.

I can't believe there are people here expressing their justified hatred of the ruling order (neoliberal, imperialist, ecocidal, and waging mass-murder around the world regardless of party in power, if for the moment with the Ds in the upper visible management) in a fashion that trivializes, excuses, or even mildly valorizes what happened when the actual executive officer of the government invited and incited a fascist mob to go shut down the legislature, so as to overturn an election he lost. That is a coup d'etat attempt, no matter how weak or incompetent, and it happened as the last move in a longer set of machinations over several months aiming at precisely such a coup.

And to be truthful, I doubt you've given a fair reading to Street's article, or to the many, many, many that have preceded it and mainly been about, and against, "team Blue."

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Paul Street

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:44 pm

Spiro C. Thiery » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:50 am wrote:^^
Paul Street » wrote:.
https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/02/07 ... ial/print/

But for COVID-19, Herr Donald would be settling in to a second disastrous term with a giant mass of white Amerikaners behind him after his many fans in the police and military had bloodily suppressed a national rebellion against his theft of an election much closer than the one that took place last fall. Think about that.

Any idea what this is a reference to?

"This" could be a couple of things. He asserts, as do I, that Covid (and the timing of the Depression) is what lost the winning margin for Trump, given the extremely losing campaign that the D's once again ran. He asserts, as do I, that there is a giant "mass of white Amerikaners" to whom Trump appeals, even if the majority of the Trump vote (I would say) is not there because of intentional, conscious white supremacy. And he conjectures (starting with "after his many fans") that a Trump win (or success in the many if incompetent coup machinations that followed Nov. 4) would have been followed by a national rebellion (pretty certain, and his side would have provoked it regardless) and its suppression.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Re: Paul Street

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:58 pm

JackRiddler » 8 minutes ago wrote:And he conjectures (starting with "after his many fans") that a Trump win (or success in the many if incompetent coup machinations that followed Nov. 4) would have been followed by a national rebellion (pretty certain, and his side would have provoked it regardless) and its suppression.

Thanks. This is the part I meant. I just didn't understand what he meant by "national rebellion", but thinking about it more in the context of the response to much of the protest over the last few years, as well as going back to the civil rights era and much in between, I get it now.
Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby dada » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:30 pm

This next passage from the Republic comes right after the one posted on the bitcoin/great reset thread, here http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?p=693284#p693284

As it gets into the subject of dogs, I think it goes well with the canine philosophy on the previous page of this thread. Although as I said in the bitcoin thread, to me it reads as satire.

"Then,” said I, “in the same degree that the task of our guardians is the greatest of all, it would require more leisure than any other business and the greatest science and training.” “I think so,” said he. “Does it not also require a nature adapted to that very pursuit?” “Of course.” “It becomes our task, then, it seems, if we are able, to select which and what kind of natures are suited for the guardianship of a state.” “Yes, ours.” “Upon my word,” said I, “it is no light task that we have taken upon ourselves. But we must not faint so far as our strength allows.” “No, we mustn't.”

“Do you think,” said I, “that there is any difference between the nature of a well-bred hound for this watch-dog's work and of a well-born lad?” “What point have you in mind?” “I mean that each of them must be keen of perception, quick in pursuit of what it has apprehended, and strong too if it has to fight it out with its captive.” “Why, yes,” said he, “there is need of all these qualities.” “And it must, further, be brave if it is to fight well.” “Of course.” “And will a creature be ready to be brave that is not high-spirited, whether horse or dog or anything else? Have you never observed what an irresistible and invincible thing is spirit, the presence of which makes every soul in the face of everything fearless and unconquerable?” “I have.” “The physical qualities of the guardian, then, are obvious.” “Yes.” “And also those of his soul, namely that he must be of high spirit.” “Yes, this too.”

“How then, Glaucon,” said I, “will they escape being savage to one another and to the other citizens if this is to be their nature?” “Not easily, by Zeus,” said he. “And yet we must have them gentle to their friends and harsh to their enemies; otherwise they will not await their destruction at the hands of others, but will be first themselves in bringing it about.” “True,” he said. “What, then, are we to do?” “said I. “Where shall we discover a disposition that is at once gentle and great-spirited? For there appears to be an opposition between the spirited type and the gentle nature.” “There does.” “But yet if one lacks either of these qualities, a good guardian he never can be. But these requirements resemble impossibilities, and so the result is that a good guardian is impossible.” “It seems likely,” he said.

And I was at a standstill, and after reconsidering what we had been saying, I said, “We deserve to be at a loss, my friend, for we have lost sight of the comparison that we set before ourselves.” “What do you mean?” “We failed to note that there are after all such natures as we thought impossible, endowed with these opposite qualities.” “Where?” “It may be observed in other animals, but especially in that which we likened to the guardian. You surely have observed in well-bred hounds that their natural disposition is to be most gentle to their familiars and those whom they recognize, but the contrary to those whom they do not know.” “I am aware of that.” “The thing is possible, then,” said I, “and it is not an unnatural requirement that we are looking for in our guardian.” “It seems not.”

“And does it seem to you that our guardian-to-be will also need, in addition to the being high-spirited, the further quality of having the love of wisdom in his nature?” “How so?” he said; “I don't apprehend your meaning.” “This too,” said I, “is something that you will discover in dogs and which is worth our wonder in the creature.” “What?” “That the sight of an unknown person angers him before he has suffered any injury, but an acquaintance he will fawn upon though he has never received any kindness from him. Have you never marvelled at that?” “I never paid any attention to the matter before now, but that he acts in some such way is obvious.”

“But surely that is an exquisite trait of his nature and one that shows a true love of wisdom.” “In what respect, pray?” “In respect,” said I, “that he distinguishes a friendly from a hostile aspect by nothing save his apprehension of the one and his failure to recognize the other. How, I ask you, can the love of learning be denied to a creature whose criterion of the friendly and the alien is intelligence and ignorance?” “It certainly cannot,” he said. “But you will admit,” said I, “that the love of learning and the love of wisdom are the same?” “The same,” he said. “Then may we not confidently lay it down in the case of man too, that if he is to be in some sort gentle to friends and familiars he must be by nature a lover of wisdom and of learning?” “Let us so assume,” he replied. “The love of wisdom, then, and high spirit and quickness and strength will be combined for us in the nature of him who is to be a good and true guardian of the state.” “By all means,” he said.

“Such, then,” I said, “would be the basis of his character. But the rearing of these men and their education, how shall we manage that? And will the consideration of this topic advance us in any way towards discerning what is the object of our entire inquiry—the origin of justice and injustice in a state—our aim must be to omit nothing of a sufficient discussion, and yet not to draw it out to tiresome length?” And Glaucon's brother replied, “Certainly, I expect that this inquiry will bring us nearer to that end.” “Certainly, then, my dear Adeimantus,” said I, “we must not abandon it even if it prove to be rather long.” “No, we must not.” “Come, then, just as if we were telling stories or fables and had ample leisure, let us educate these men in our discourse.” “So we must.”

A bit later, Socrates gives us the fable to be told, an "old phonecian tale" of society divided into four classes, represented by the metals gold, silver, brass and iron. It is made plain and explicit that the fable is a test.

Those who aren't taken in by the fable are not the gold class of rulers, these metal classes are part of the fable. They are those who are in the company of our philosophers, not the rulers but the designers. The gold and silver classes are the rulers and soldiers, who we're likening to the dogs of the philosophers. Dogs in the noblest sense, the aspect of dogness that is a lover of wisdom and learning. Therefore our rulers and soldiers will be the noblest dogs.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Grizzly » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:39 pm

One of the best reports on the subversion tactics being used on the public. Everyone should watch this and you probably should watch more than once.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby DrEvil » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:59 am

I'm struggling to see how the powers that be are in any way communist. If their goal truly is communism then they're working towards their own demise.

Also, from the video description, "they" apparently want to bring about a world communist government by employing, among other things, "pincer military tactics". I would really like to see that in action. I'm thinking quants on the left flank and corporate lawyers on the right.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby kelley » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:39 am

do animals have souls?

do humans?

let dogs be dogs

seeing them thru an anthropomorphic lens doesn't do animals or humans any good

if humans can't recognize difference when faced with it on four legs how will they ever grasp the meaning of it while standing on two?
kelley

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:25 pm

Grizzly, maybe you should change your username to Charging Bull, because apparently a red flag has the curious effect of making you charge, or post John Birch Rewarmed propaganda (Edward Griffin Resurrected) that mystifies global capitalism into a secret c-c-COMMUNIST!!!zomg cabal. Reds really don't get any breaks here in capitalist land, but this attempt to identify them as their diametric opposite is truly a distortion too far.

I fail to see any relevance of this to the thread subject.

JackRiddler

Postby dada » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:28 pm

"do animals have souls?

do humans?

let dogs be dogs

if humans can't recognize difference when faced with it on four legs how will they ever grasp the meaning of it while standing on two?"

As the soul is not made of a material substance, it cannot be proven if anyone or anything has one. So this is one of those things that is truly up to you.

The shape of anthropomorphism depends on what we're calling human. For me, the human is a soul. It has a body, has a mind, has certain traits. So anthropomorphosis for me isn't ascribing human traits to animals, but affirming that they are also souls. Anthopomorphosis is preciscely this soulification. For me.

From here, I say that everything that has an image, a body of whatever type, is a soul. The soul is not the image or body, but having an image or body is evidence that a soul is present.

The human soul can think it is its image, or its body and mind. A human that knows it is a soul has all these things.

So for me, asking if a dog has buddha nature is a misunderstanding of what buddha nature is. To ask if animals have souls we'd first have to accept that they are not souls, and a soul is something to have or not.

The human is the one who recognizes recognizing difference. The dog doesn't recognize that it recognizes. And soul is a word. Only the human can impart the word on the dog, because the dog can't write. Anthropomorphosis here is then not ascribing human traits to animals, but the only way to learn from animals, by recognizing what is human in them. Goes for the other kingdoms, too. We might even say that the only way a human can understand higher beings is to anthropomorphize them in this way, as well.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby DrEvil » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:43 pm

kelley » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:39 pm wrote:do animals have souls?

Nope.
do humans?

Nope.
let dogs be dogs

Yup.

Maybe not humans, but the cute animals definitely gain an advantage. Quick, baby seal or giant isopod? Which one would you save?
if humans can't recognize difference when faced with it on four legs how will they ever grasp the meaning of it while standing on two?

And that's why we have conservatives.
DrEvil

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:32 pm

DrEvil » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:43 pm wrote:
kelley » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:39 pm wrote:do animals have souls?

Nope.
do humans?

Nope.
let dogs be dogs

Yup.

Neither of you have indicated what you believe a soul is.

(ah, you probably did somewhere, but anyway)

I say yes to both questions, and also that there is no necessary contradiction between a materialist outlook and a soul; or any kind of clear border between consciousness and soul, or between mind/heart/body and soul; or any requirement that a soul to be a soul must be something immortal, eternal, alienable from a body, transferable to other living entities; or that a soul would be more the real essence of a person/animal than the body. And, finally, that to believe any of these propositions are possible is just fine, since none of these are ruled out by available mutually observable evidence.

Wait, is this still the "What is fascism" thread?

But don't mind me and please carry on, long as it's your own original thinking.

JackRiddler

Postby DrEvil » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:16 am

Just a quick clarification and context to my post: when I say 'soul' I mean it in the traditional "when you die you go to $afterlife" way, which is something I do not believe in. I believe we have a lump of meat in our skulls with lots of signals bouncing around in it, and somehow, out of that comes our minds (which is the term I prefer to differentiate it from the more spiritual takes). When the meat dies the mind dies and we cease to exist.

I'm also a blast at parties.
DrEvil

Postby dada » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:17 pm

I'll try putting it another way. A soul is a living body of knowledge, with a temperment, personality and everything, as well as the light that enables knowing. Like without light we can't see, without the light of the mind we can't know.

We say that lights literally seen in the mind, in vision, imagination and dream, are the body of this same light which we can't know without. So the soul is always a bi-unity, a body of knowledge and the light by which it knows.
dada

Postby dada » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:07 pm

So what is fascism, and how do you recognize it. How about hatred of Jews as public policy. And by extension hatred of everyone who associates with Jews, so by extension pretty much everybody.

I wonder if the history of fascism can be traced along the history of the protocols of tbe elders of zion. So, anti-bolshevik russia, 1920s Henry Ford, Nazis, and the Internet subculture we'll call Conspiracyland, would be recognizably fascist.

Now I'm thinking conspiracyland isn't a good term for it. Mario used the term alt-media, I guess that's not bad. Maybe we can do better. The subculture that plays narrative variations on the protocols. Globalist cabalists, the illuminati, the liberal elite.
dada

Postby Marionumber1 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:23 pm

I don't think I would characterize the hatred of Jews as a necessary element of fascism; that is a specific variety of racism that fueled the ultranationalistic fervor of Nazi Germany's fascism. Racism is generally a part of fascist states because of its role in galvanizing that kind of toxic nationalism, but the particular targeted group is more a function of the existing tensions in the region. Europe had a long history of anti-Semitism and Protocols of the Elders of Zion had reinvigorated that sentiment across the continent, so Jewish people became a natural, though not exclusive (we can also include the Romani people, black people, Poles...), target of the Nazis. In the fascist governments propped up by the US in Latin American, the main racial target would often be the indigenous populations. Here in the US, basically every non-white race has been the target of varying degrees of physical and socioeconomic violence throughout the country's history, with conditions certainly improved from what they have been but still far short of what they ought to be.
Marionumber1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion