A new earthquake thread? May as well. . .

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

A new earthquake thread? May as well. . .

Postby 82_28 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Nothing to report so far from the PNW. Something be happenin' though. . .

Just google "earthquakes" and it brings up everything within minutes of having been reported. Right at the top of your google page.

Time Magnitude Location
39 minutes ago 5.0 Gulf of California Map
18 hours ago 5.2 Gulf of California Map
Yesterday 5.5 Southern California Map

There was a swarm up here last week.

5.5 earthquake detected off Washington coast

http://www.kirotv.com/weblogs/morgan-pa ... ton-coast/
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A new earthquake thread? May as well. . .

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:37 am

USGS: Major earthquake hits Costa Rica, tsunami warning issued
By NBC News staff and wire reports
Updated at 11:30 a.m. ET: A major earthquake hit northwestern Costa Rica on Wednesday, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
The quake -- initially given a magnitude of 7.9 but then revised to 7.6 -- struck at 10:42 a.m. ET at a depth of about 25 miles and about seven miles southeast of Nicoya, a town of some 15,000 people on a coastal area on the Pacific about 90 miles from the capital San Jose.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said a tsunami warning was in effect for Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Mexico, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala and Peru. A tsunami watch notice was issued for Chile.
Advertise | AdChoices

"It is not known that a tsunami was generated. This warning is based only on the earthquake evaluation. An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines near the epicenter within minutes and more distant coastlines within hours," the PTWC said.
Reuters reported that power was cut in some areas of the capital of San Jose, where buildings shook because of the quake. In the coastal town of Nosara in northwest Costa Rica, The Associated Press said trees shook violently and light posts swayed. Teachers chased primary school students outside.
At 11:25 a.m. ET, the USGS said it had received 101 reports from people in places from El Salvador to Panama who said they had felt the ground shaking.
The USGS said that "overall, the population in this region resides in structures that are vulnerable to earthquake shaking, though some resistant structures exist."
"The predominant vulnerable building types are adobe block and mud wall construction," it said.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Nordic » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:24 am

Here in Los Angeles we've had a few solid jolts lately. These are unusual in that they are extremely shallow, basically saying they are at "0" depth. Which doesn't make any sense.

The one last night was a 3.5 and the epicenter was only about a mile away. I could hear it coming, kind of a subsonic rumbling, then it got louder, exactly like some kind of big truck on a nearby street, then the earth started swaying then BAM! it hit and rattled me pretty good, right where I'm sitting now, staring at my big monitor at this big wooden desk between these windows. My stepdaughter started screaming and I ran to comfort her.

We had another one about a week ago which I slept through, same exact deal, only this one was centered slightly to my north (Bev Hills slightly to my East).

People are acting weird. I had a tow-truck driver tell me on Wednesday that it was like a full-moon day, just lots of odd shit going on.

I'm going on record to predict another Big One here in March. I want to get out before then. How, I don't know, as I am stucker than stuck. Financially. Frozen. Can't move.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Laodicean » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:04 am

L'Aquila quake: Italy scientists guilty of manslaughter

Six Italian scientists and an ex-government official have been sentenced to six years in prison over the 2009 deadly earthquake in L'Aquila.

A regional court found them guilty of multiple manslaughter.

Prosecutors said the defendants gave a falsely reassuring statement before the quake, while the defence maintained there was no way to predict major quakes.

The 6.3 magnitude quake devastated the city and killed 309 people.

Many smaller tremors had rattled the area in the months before the quake that destroyed much of the historic centre.

It took Judge Marco Billi slightly more than four hours to reach the verdict in the trial, which had begun in September 2011.

Lawyers have said that they will appeal against the sentence. As convictions are not definitive until after at least one level of appeal in Italy, it is unlikely any of the defendants will immediately face prison.

'Alarming' case

The seven - all members of the National Commission for the Forecast and Prevention of Major Risks - were accused of having provided "inaccurate, incomplete and contradictory" information about the danger of the tremors felt ahead of 6 April 2009 quake, Italian media report.

In addition to their sentences, all have been barred from ever holding public office again, La Repubblica reports.

In the closing statement, the prosecution quoted one of its witnesses, whose father died in the earthquake.

It described how Guido Fioravanti had called his mother at about 11:00 on the night of the earthquake - straight after the first tremor.

"I remember the fear in her voice. On other occasions they would have fled but that night, with my father, they repeated to themselves what the risk commission had said. And they stayed."

'Hasty sentence'

The judge also ordered the defendants to pay court costs and damages.
Reacting to the verdict against him, Bernardo De Bernardinis said: "I believe myself to be innocent before God and men."

"My life from tomorrow will change," the former vice-president of the Civil Protection Agency's technical department said, according to La Repubblica.

"But, if I am judged by all stages of the judicial process to be guilty, I will accept my responsibility."
Another, Enzo Boschi, described himself as "dejected" and "desperate" after the verdict was read.

"I thought I would have been acquitted. I still don't understand what I was convicted of."
One of the lawyers for the defence, Marcello Petrelli, described the sentences as "hasty" and "incomprehensible".

'Inherently unpredictable'

The case has alarmed many in the scientific community, who feel science itself has been put on trial.
Some scientists have warned that the case might set a damaging precedent, deterring experts from sharing their knowledge with the public for fear of being targeted in lawsuits, the BBC's Alan Johnston in Rome reports.

Among those convicted were some of Italy's most prominent and internationally respected seismologists and geological experts.

Earlier, more than 5,000 scientists signed an open letter to Italian President Giorgio Napolitano in support of the group in the dock.

After the verdict was announced, David Rothery, of the UK's Open University, said earthquakes were "inherently unpredictable".

"The best estimate at the time was that the low-level seismicity was not likely to herald a bigger quake, but there are no certainties in this game," he said.

Malcolm Sperrin, director of medical physics at the UK's Royal Berkshire Hospital said that the sentence was surprising and could set a worrying precedent.

"If the scientific community is to be penalised for making predictions that turn out to be incorrect, or for not accurately predicting an event that subsequently occurs, then scientific endeavour will be restricted to certainties only and the benefits that are associated with findings from medicine to physics will be stalled."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20025626
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:21 pm

^^^^

I would think the book's been translated maybe someone in Italy should pick it up

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Col. Quisp » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:58 pm

7.7 just now in Canada. Tsunami warnings. Buoys going crazy.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... 7n#summary

Doom on!
http://www.disaster-report.com/2012/10/ ... truck.html

Severe earthquake off the coast of British Columbia: Tsunami warning issued

Disaster Report: M 7.7 powerful earthquake struck off the coast of British Columbia today, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. A Tsunami Warning has been issued for coastal British Columbia and parts of Alaska.

Update 03:35 UTC
Prince Rupert is 200 km far from the epicenter where strongest jolt of MMI VI will have been felt. Magnitude 5.8 aftershocks was followed after 10 minutes.

Update 03:30 UTC
A TSUNAMI WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT WHICH INCLUDES THE COASTAL AREAS OF BRITISH COLUMBIA AND ALASKA FROM THE NORTH TIP OF VANCOUVER ISLAND BRITISH COLUMBIA TO CAPE DECISION ALASKA/LOCATED 85 MILES SE OF SITKA/...

Update 03:25 UTC
There are about 2000 people within 100 km.

Update 03:23 UTC
GDACS has issued Orange Earthquake Alert In Canada.

Update 03:21 UTC
A Tsunami Warning has been issued for coastal British Columbia and parts of Alaska.

Update 03:20 UTC
EMSC mentions magnitude 6.3 @ 15 km depth.

M 7.7 powerful earthquake struck off the coast of British Columbia today, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the quake's epicenter was loated 199 km SSW from Prince Rupert, BC. It was 6.2 miles deep.

03:04 UTC (local time Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 08:04 PM at epicenter)

Epicenter location
199 km (123 miles) SSW (212°) from Prince Rupert, BC, Canada
262 km (163 miles) S (184°) from Metlakatla, AK
278 km (173 miles) SSE (166°) from Hydaburg, AK
722 km (449 miles) NW (306°) from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Col. Quisp

Postby peartreed » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:16 am

It's an hour and a half after the 7.7 quake in Haida Gwaii (Masset on the Queen Charlotte Islands off our West Coast) and here, 450 miles away in Vancouver, BC some residents are reporting a slow swaying or undulation of their houses and some vertigo for those on their feet during the evening event. A tsunami warning has been issued but so far no reports of local coastal damage or structural damage known.
:hug1:
peartreed

Postby Ben D » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:43 am

There is That which was not born, nor created, nor evolved. If it were not so, there would never be any refuge from being born, or created, or evolving. That is the end of suffering. That is God**.

** or Nirvana, Allah, Brahman, Tao, etc...
Ben D

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:21 am

7.7 Earthquake Hits Where The Worlds Largest Geoengineering Experiment Took Place
BY TERRY WILSON – OCTOBER 28, 2012
POSTED IN: GEO-ENGINEERING, NATIONAL NEWS
A 7.7 Earthquake hit the coast of British Columbia on Saturday night, and there has since been as many as 40 aftershocks today. Including one that measured 6.4 in magnitude. The quake sent many residents on the coast, fleeing for higher ground due to tsunami warnings. That where issued as far away as Hawaii.

The Earthquake originated on the island of Haida Gwaii, other wise know as the Queen Charlotte Islands region. The islands are located along the Queen Charlotte Fault, which is an active transform fault that produces significant earthquakes every 3–30 years. (the last major one happening in 1949, that measure 8.1 in magnitude)

As soon as I caught the news of this quake today, the first thing that came to mind was. Wasn’t Haida Gwaii recently in the news?

Worlds Largest Geoengineering Test Conducted Off Canadian West Coast

“In July 2012 a private businessman named Russ George, or as the Vancouver Sun has dubbed him the “rogue climate hacker”. Dumped over 100 tonnes of iron into the pacific ocean, just off the coast of British Columbia (Haida Gwaii) in the largest ever geoengineering experiment.

The iron is meant to help spawn plankton (main stream press have dubbed these creatures “artificial plankton”) that will absorb carbon dioxide and then sink to the ocean bed. A geoengineering technique known as ocean fertilization. George hopes that this will be lucrative in carbon credits. But even the strongest of man made climate change proponents agree that he has gone too far, and some are outraged. According to the main stream news outlets.”
Continue Reading

Could this be simply be a coincidence? Well as many in the alternative media have realized. Coincidences in situations like this are very, very rare.

This type of situation would also be ideal for any private corporation of government in the chance of a disaster in result of a geoengineering experiment of that scale. It gives plausible deniability. Since this is in the area of an active fault line, there is no chance of proving that the experiment caused the earthquake.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby conniption » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:06 am

Magnitude 8.0 - SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS

2013 February 06 01:12:27 UTC
conniption

Postby conniption » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 am

Last edited by conniption on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
conniption

Postby justdrew » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 am

he said Wednesday Feb 5th, really confusing for a sec :eeyaa
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Special Update
Shaking and Quaking
Although the quake which struck this morning in the Santa Cruz islands was reported initially as an 8.0, the USGS has now registered it as a 7.0 shaker.
The red box in the picture (right) is this morning's latest event. Those other colors of boxes are recent historical quakes in the area and you'll see that this is at a sort of "north" at the edge of the Pacific Plate.

If I were one to wildly speculate, with no hard science to back it up, I could envision enough earth movement happenering here to break off this protrusion and that would free up the Pacific Plate's big moves which may follow, and it's in there that the prospect of a global coastal event seems, at least intuitively, likely to occur.

It's very much as Patrick Geryl noted this morning, more than perhaps coincidental that this happened while the Earth was experiencing a solar shockwave of a c-class solar flare.

We've queried our Jakarata bureau and I expect word later today or tomorrow (for Peoplenomics.com subscribers) on that. Plus, the Pn report tomorrow will deal with aspects of dreams which may be messaging us about what's to come off of some of our www.nationaldreamcenter.com postings since the Japan quakes.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Nordic » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:57 am

Ok, back in September, in this very thread, I predicted one for March here in Los Angeles. Although I didn't specify a date, I could have sworn that I said the 15th. Maybe I said that somewhere else.

Anyway it is now March 15. I have the worst case of insomnia, and it is almost 3am on March 15th!

It wouldn't be that bad, for me, if it hit today. None of us will be straying far afield.

Then again,I would rather move away right before it hits like I did last time!
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Project Willow » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:09 pm

http://rt.com/usa/earthquake-oregon-report-tsunami-330/

Scientists predict thousands will die from earthquake expected anytime on US West Coast
Published time: March 15, 2013 16:45

Researchers say a massive earthquake and tsunami could soon strike the Northwest US coast, killing more than 10,000 people, flooding entire towns, and causing economic damages totaling $32 billion.

An alarming report published by the Oregon Seismic Safety Policy Advisory Commission warns about the dire effects of the quake and claims that it is imminent and could strike anytime. The report, which was compiled by a group of more than 150 volunteer experts, was requested by the Oregon legislature in order to adequately prepare for the looming disaster.

The last high magnitude earthquake in the region occurred in the year 1700 in the Cascadia Subduction Zone. The quake had a magnitude between 8.7 and 9.2, and geologists in 2010 predicted that there is a 37 percent change of another such quake occurring within 50 years. The new report claims that there is a 100 percent chance of a monster earthquake occurring in the region – but scientists don’t know when.

"This earthquake will hit us again," Kent Yu, an engineer and chairman of the commission, told lawmakers. "It's just a matter of how soon."

Jay Wilson, vice chairman of the commission that put together the report, told AP that “we’re well within the window for it to happen again.”

With no time frame for the predicted earthquake, Oregonians need to be constantly prepared for one. The report warns of death and devastation ranging from British Columbia to Northern California, the worst of which will strike Oregon.

"Oregonians as individuals are underprepared," Maree Wacker, chief executive officer of the American Red Cross of Oregon, told AP.

An earthquake, together with the resulting tsunami, could leave Oregonians without water, power, heat, telephone services, and in some cases, gasoline. After a deadly earthquake and tsunami hit Japan in 2011, lawmakers grew concerned that a similar disaster could occur in the US. The report says that geographically, Oregon and Japan are almost identical – but that Japan was far more prepared than Oregon would be if it faced the same fate.

The most recent report is not the first warning of an imminent high-magnitude quake. In 2012, researchers at Oregon State University published a study concluding that there is a 40 percent chance of a major earthquake in the Coos Bay, Ore., region during the next 50 years.

The Northwest US is long overdue for an earthquake, and it’s only a matter of time before the coast once again witnesses a quake with a magnitude higher than 8.0.

“By the year 2060, if we have not had an earthquake, we will have exceeded 85 percent of all the known intervals of earthquake recurrence in 10,000 years,” Jay Patton, co-author of the Oregon State University's research, said in a press release. “The interval between earthquakes ranges from a few decades to thousands of years. But we already have exceeded about three-fourths of them.”

My building is retro-fit, but several times when I've had to drill into the old concrete structure, it turned into powder. It was all done on the cheap. The 100 year old skim coat used to fall on my head while I was painting. I've yet to begin my escape-the-tsunami training which includes running full speed up Skid Road.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Next

Return to General Discussion