White People Protips

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

White People Protips

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Just came across this mighty fine post on tumblr last night. I think the general educated and anti-fascist nature of Rigorous Intuition keeps us above being guilty of most, other than the more passive forms of racism, outlined below. Our eyes do seem mostly trained on the large institutes of war, murder, corporatism, fascism, etc which (in my opinion), are appropriate targets for people with privilege.

The democracy of the internet is opening up more and more freedom for marginalized and oppressed people to voice their opinions, concerns, and motivations on equal fields not seen before. In a place such as this, concerned with race, oppression, and white supremacy but lacking voices on race from people of color (as far as I'm aware), I found it useful to read most of these. I've learned a lot about subtlety and nuance in probably this year alone, and that's coming from someone with a pretty diverse public school education.

This is a resource post for all the Good White Person™s out there. You know, the ones who say things like “It’s not my fault I’m white! Don’t generalize white people!”, or “I’m appreciating your culture! You should be proud!”, or “Why do you hate all white people, look I’m a special snowflake who’s not racist give me an award for meeting the minimum requirements for being a decent human being”.

Well, if you are actually interested in understanding racism and how it ties into cultural appropriation, please read instead of endlessly badgering PoCs on tumblr with your cliched, unoriginal arguments and repeating the same questions over and over.

On White Privilege
aka don’t blame me just because I’m white:

On Reverse Racism
aka you are being racist against white people:

On Cultural Appropriation
aka I’m just appreciating your culture:

Assorted Vials of White Tears and Miscellaneous Antidotes
aka I can’t change that I’m white/not all whites are racist/we are all humans:

Okay. I agree. I’ve been socially conditioned not to notice racism and recognize my privilege. What can I do?

I don’t care about this bullshit; you’re making a big deal out of nothing, go home and delete your blog:

Original post at Vasundharaa
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: White People Protips

Postby Nordic » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:15 pm

I'm not racist. I hate everybody equally.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby NeonLX » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:24 pm

This thread is gonna be a good'n! :)
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby barracuda » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:28 pm

barracuda

Postby Belligerent Savant » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Belligerent Savant

Postby Luther Blissett » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:09 am

Currently getting my ass kicked over this because of perceived (or lied about) claims of black-on-white violence that I don't have the statistics for. What I do know is that a) America is a penal colony for blacks and incarcerating at a far higher rate than any other country or ever before; b) violent crime is the lowest it's ever been; and c) conservative pundits had their arguments for an uptick in violence against white by People of Color systematically dismantled in the wake of Trayvon's murder and Obama's election.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby undead » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:31 am

Wow what a great post. Bump.

Btw Greeks are mad lazy, and its okay for me to say that but not for anyone else except Jack.
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
undead

Postby NeonLX » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:12 pm

The cursed English have big noses and bad teeth.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Postby General Patton » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:24 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:black-on-white violence that I don't have the statistics

The FBI Uniform Crime Report covers the crime statistics for the USA.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ucr

Department of Justice statistics:
http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/

Create custom tables using the NCVS Victimization Analysis Tool, sort by race, sex, age, level of intimacy, ect...
http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=nvat

Basic stats course:
http://www.fgse.nova.edu/edl/secure/stats/index.htm
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby jcivil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:51 pm

"Black" people taught "White" cavemen math, science, astronomy, agriculture, war, slavery, state religion, use of metals, optics, weaving and a few other things.

So it is everybody's problem.

We are all one.

However alone it might seem.

Closer to the same than anything else in the known multiverse.

Stop State Violence.
Stand Firm!
jcivil

Postby NeonLX » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:00 pm

^^^^ :thumbsup
NeonLX

Postby freemason9 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:35 pm

Nordic wrote:I'm not racist. I hate everybody equally.

There ya go.

Seriously, everyone has racial affiliation and a somewhat inherent mistrust of "others." I think it is quite wrong and insufficient to proclaim folks as "racist" whenever they feel slightly ill-at-ease around different races/cultures/whatevers. It's natural, and it's human.

Problems arise when we use these ancient tribal misgivings as an excuse to eliminate or enslave competitors.

And that's when it becomes apparent that racism is actually cowardice.
The real issue is that there is extremely low likelihood that the speculations of the untrained, on a topic almost pathologically riddled by dynamic considerations and feedback effects, will offer anything new.
freemason9

Postby undead » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:22 am

freemason9 wrote:
Nordic wrote:I'm not racist. I hate everybody equally.

There ya go.

Seriously, everyone has racial affiliation and a somewhat inherent mistrust of "others." I think it is quite wrong and insufficient to proclaim folks as "racist" whenever they feel slightly ill-at-ease around different races/cultures/whatevers. It's natural, and it's human.

Problems arise when we use these ancient tribal misgivings as an excuse to eliminate or enslave competitors.

And that's when it becomes apparent that racism is actually cowardice.

OMGWTFWHYUSO RACISTTT!!!!!!

Seriously, though, even if it is "natural" and "human" it is still not okay. And that is quite a dim view of nature and humanity. Don't even know why I bother answering you except that this is a good thread and it should stay on the front page.
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
undead

Postby undead » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:41 am

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
undead

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Red Dawn twitter posts:
Luther Blissett

Next

Return to General Discussion