Dig the new breed: Hatsune Miku

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Dig the new breed: Hatsune Miku

Postby Sapient Simian » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:55 pm

Hatsune Miku is a mob-created Japanese pop culture icon that has fans/adherents around the world .
Take a look at this very modern review of a post-modern dynamic: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/10/ ... -miku/all/ .
There were so many tangential issues that diving in to the deep end for discussion would be pages long. So I leave with a list of some of the thoughts it raised with me:
1- A new religion where the icon is as malleable as the observant wishes it to be
2 - Individuals revoking the myth-making authority
3 - Mob-created artificial intelligence
4 - Myth-making symbol-using animal becoming self aware
5 - Post-modernisistic birthing of individualistic religion
6 - Post-modernistic birthing of global religion
7 - Post-modern guardian angel ( as in the great work)
8 - Reification of a PK Dick notion
9 - Rife for organized-nefarious manipulation

Hatsune miku seems saturated with potential global and individual insights and epiphanies. I will be wrestling with its potential meanings and watching what becomes of her- ontologically, epistemologically, culturally.

Can't wait to see what the rest of crew here observes.
Sapient Simian
Sapient Simian

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Dig the new breed: Hatsune Miku

Postby barracuda » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:08 pm

We had some discussion of Hatsune Miku on this old thread, fwiw:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26195&p=365711&hilit=Hatsune+Miku#p365711

She's awesome.

barracuda

Postby 8bitagent » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:29 pm

I remember the "Vocaloid" hologram phenomenon within geek culture a few years ago, wasn't sure it was still popular. For anyone who remembers the anime tv series Macross/Robotech 25-30 years ago the idea of a virtual pop idol being beloved and worshipped was explored in various episodes and movies. In a way it reminds me of a leader, where people can project their dreams and aspirations.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby barracuda » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Sort of like Obama: hopensource.
barracuda

Postby elfismiles » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ5esr0LB0U

Ronald Reagan hologram comes to life at former president's library
A three-dimensional hologram of former President Ronald Reagan has debuted at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum. The hologram will show visitors three depictions of the 40th president.Oct.10.2018
https://www.nbcnews.com/video/ronald-re ... 8?v=railb&

Singer Amy Winehouse to return to the stage as a hologram [Reuters]
By Lisa Richwine,Reuters•October 11, 2018
https://www.yahoo.com/news/singer-amy-w ... 00895.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEaBqiLeCu0

William Gibson's "synthetic personality named Rei Toei, the Idoru (Japanese Idol) of the title"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rei_Toei

Projection
By the time Rei Toei has become a commercial entity, commercial in-space animated full-colour holography is also a commercial reality. As noted above, a personalised Rei Toei exist for individual viewers with Net access. However, for public concerts, Rei will take on an appearance that is a group consensus based on the membership of her audience.

elfismiles » 27 Jul 2015 21:33 wrote:
Rapper's holographic performance prompts police to shut down hip-hop festival
Chief Keef was appearing by hologram, and appealing for an end to violence, when Indiana police pulled the plug on Craze Fest
Monday 27 July 2015 03.04 EDT Last modified on Monday 27 July 2015 04.18 EDT

Police shut down a rap show on Saturday while the star was appearing – by hologram – to appeal for an end to violence in hip-hop.

Police in Hammond, Indiana, pulled the plug on Craze Fest while Chief Keef was beaming in his set from a soundstage in Los Angeles. He was just finishing I Don’t Like, and talking about the need to stop violence, when music was turned down, the hologram disappeared and police cleared the stage.

The show, held in a public park and attended by 2,000 people, was planned as a benefit for Chief Keef’s friend Marvin Carr – a rapper known as Capo – and 13-month-old Dillan Harris, who killed on 11 July. Dillan was killed by a vehicle fleeing the scene of a shooting that killed Carr.

Fans at the show told the Chicago Tribune that it had passed without incident before police intervened. “There was no violence. It was the police who did this,” Stefanae Coleman, 17, told the paper. “Everyone was happy … We went through the whole show without any problems. They just waited for Chief Keef, and that’s what irks me. (The police) do this, then they get mad that we’re mad. It’s disrespectful to us.”

Chief Keef had performed by hologram owing to several arrest warrants against him in the neighbouring state of Illinois. However, other cities had refused to allow him to perform by hologram recently. Last weekend, a similar appearance in Chicago was cancelled after the staff of mayor Rahm Emanuel called him “an unacceptable role model” who “promoted violence” and whose presence, even via hologram, “posed a significant safety risk”.

Before his appearance at Craze Fest, Chief Keef teased several different locations , before officially confirming his holographic show at 9pm. Police shut it down at 10.25pm.

Hammond police commander Patrick Vicari told the Chicago Tribune his department had been clear about the consequences of Chief Keef appearing. “We spoke to the promoter several times, and they assured us [Chief Keef] would not be performing,” he said. “Later, an officer working the show realised it was being streamed on one of the hip-hop sites, and promoters were warned again they would be shut down.”

“I know nothing about Chief Keef,” Hammond’s mayor, Thomas McDermott, told the New York Times. “All I’d heard was he has a lot of songs about gangs and shooting people – a history that’s anti-cop, pro-gang and pro-drug use. He’s been basically outlawed in Chicago, and we’re not going to let you circumvent Mayor Emanuel by going next door.”

Alki David, chief executive of Hologram USA, which sponsors Chief Keef, said: “Shame on the mayor and police chief of Hammond for shutting down a voice that can create positive change in a community in desperate need. And for taking away money that could have gone to help the victims’ families. This was a legal event and there was no justification to shut it down besides your glaring disregard for the First Amendment right to free speech,” he added. “Mark my words, if you censor us, you only make us stronger.”

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/j ... p-festival
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Return to General Discussion