Huge meteor over Russia

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Huge meteor over Russia

Postby Col. Quisp » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:27 pm

http://www.space.com/19837-russia-fireball-asteroid-impact-surprise.html

Observations by NASA's WISE space telescope, for example, suggest that about 4,700 asteroids at least 330 feet (100 m) wide come uncomfortably close to our planet at some point in their orbits. To date, astronomers have detected less than 30 percent of these objects, which could destroy an area the size of a state if they slammed into Earth.

And researchers have spotted less than 1 percent of asteroids at least 130 feet (40 m) wide, according to officials with the B612 Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to predicting and preventing catastrophic asteroid strikes.

Space rocks of this size can cause severe damage on a local scale, as the 1908 "Tunguska Event" shows. That year, a 130-foot-wide object exploded over Siberia's Podkamennaya Tunguska River, flattening roughly 825 square miles (2,137 square km) of forest.
Overall, scientists think 1 million or more near-Earth asteroids are lurking out there, and just 9,600 have been identified to date.

I suspect we're moving into a more chaotic part of the galaxy. We've been lulled into a false sense of security. The galaxy is full of stuff and fluff, signifying no-thing. But we've been riding through a calm part of it for a long time. Unless of course this is all just a big simulation or hologram or what have you, created by some kid in a far away dimension, just for fun. The kid may have grown bored with this game and is not sweeping away the space rocks.
Col. Quisp

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:31 pm

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby barracuda » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:32 pm

elfismiles wrote:Flash forward to 2013...

On the very day that a sizable asteroid is getting global attention flying close to earth and folks who are planning tracking and warning (and possibly defense options) systems are meeting at the United Nations (heard this on NPR but haven't found a citation yet), we get what several astronomers are calling a rare and amazing coincidence.

UN Team Unveils Asteroid Defense Plan on the same day massive rock buzzes the Earth

The UN Office for Outer Space Affairs will today present a plan to guard against and react to threats from the cosmos, Bloomberg reports.

The plan, which has been in the works for 12 years, includes a global asteroid warning system, and a team tasked with overseeing space missions to either destroy menacing asteroids or deflect them with a "gravity tractor." NASA already tracks near-earth asteroids, but only has tabs on the 1,310 biggest—which might represent less than 10% of the threats out there. And while it could be decades before one becomes a problem, "we could find one that would give us three months," the head of the UN group says. The General Assembly will likely consider the plan during its October meeting.

Russia Calls For Space Defense System
February 17, 2013

AS RUSSIAN authorities search for remnants of the space object that startled residents of the Chelyabinsk region, scientists said its shockwave was a loud warning they hoped would inspire action to prevent potential catastrophes.

''When a small piece of rock would fall on the Earth 100 years ago, it could have caused minimal damage and would have stayed largely undetected, but Friday's accident fully demonstrated how vulnerable the technological civilisation of today has become,'' said Vladimir Lipunov, head of the Space Monitoring Laboratory with Moscow State University.

''It is high time Russia should start investing heavily in building an advanced space danger monitoring and warning system and a system capable of destroying such super bombs falling on us,'' he said.

NASA must do more to prepare for catastrophic asteroids

What should be NASA's most important task — keeping the Earth, and America, safe from asteroid and comet impact — is barely mentioned in its latest strategic plan, released earlier this week. Planning for a mission to deflect a potential cataclysm is left to private organizations like the B612 Foundation, in which a number of engineers and scientists with years of experience with NASA are involved. It's even headed by former astronaut Ed Lu. But this is too important a task to be left to philanthropists and retirees like the B612 crowd. However laudable their efforts, they lack the resources and capability that the government has. Keeping its citizens safe is the foundational responsibility of government. And in this respect, NASA has been heedless of its responsibilities.
barracuda

Postby elfismiles » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks Cuda!

A meteor and asteroid: 1 in 100 million odds
CNN - 1 day ago
Meg Urry says the probability that a meteor hits and an asteroid passes by Earth on the same day is about 1 in 100 million.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/16/opinion/u ... index.html

Friday's meteor and asteroid coincidence`once in 1000-years event`
Daily News & Analysis
http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report_fr ... nt_1800831
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Unless of course the meteorite was a chunk that came off the asteroid a few weeks ago.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby justdrew » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:24 pm

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Nordic » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:35 am

Anybody find it odd that there was one over both Russia and Cuba on almost the same day?

The Cuba one seems to have gotten close to zero press. At least here.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby justdrew » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:46 am

Cuba and San Fransisco. well, if we see another day like that soon we'll know something's up.

I would have thought something would have come out of that lake in Russia by now.
justdrew

Postby Nordic » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:01 am

I read someplace earlier that the Russians called off the search for the actual pieces of the meteor. Which struck me as very odd.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby justdrew » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:04 am

i couldn't tell if they meant it was called off for the day or for forever :shrug:
justdrew

Postby Blue » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:19 pm

"Meteorite rush" begins as Russian scientists find fragments

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A meteor that exploded over Russia's Ural mountains and sent fireballs blazing to earth has set off a rush to find fragments of the space rock which hunters hope could fetch thousands of dollars a piece.

Friday's blast and ensuing shockwave shattered windows, injured almost 1,200 people and caused about $33 million worth of damage, said local authorities.

It also started a "meteorite rush" around the industrial city of Chelyabinsk, 1,500 km (950 miles) east of Moscow, where groups of people have started combing through the snow and ice.

One amateur space enthusiast estimated chunks could be worth anything up to 66,000 roubles ($2,200) per gram - more than 40 times the current cost of gold.

"The price is hard to say yet ... The fewer meteorites that are recovered, the higher their price," said Dmitry Kachkalin, a member of the Russian Society of Amateur Meteorite Lovers. Meteorites are parts of a meteor that have fallen to earth.

Scientists at the Urals Federal University were the first to announce a significant find - 53 small, stony, black objects around Lake Chebarkul, near Chelyabinsk, which tests confirmed were small meteorites.

The fragments were only 0.5 to 1 cm (0.2 to 0.4 inches) across but the scientists said larger pieces may have crashed into the lake, where a crater in the ice about eight meters (26 feet) wide opened up after Friday's explosion.
Blue

Postby justdrew » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:09 pm

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/18/multiple-fireballs-seen-zooming-over-miami/

Authorities received numerous reports of “fireballs” zooming through the sky over Miami on Sunday night, and at least one of them was caught on tape by an amateur videographer.

The source of the lights: officials say they were likely meteors, albeit smaller than the major meteor event filmed over Russia on Friday that left hundreds injured from shattered glass resulting from a shockwave in the atmosphere.

The video of a meteor over Miami was shot by Amanda Mayer, according to NBC Miami. She was filming a flicking light near her apartment when a fireball suddenly streaked across the sky.

Mike Hankey, operations manager for the American Meteor Society, told NBC Miami that the space rock was “traveling from north to south over the east coast of Florida.” He added that anyone who saw a meteor on Sunday night “should feel lucky.”
justdrew

Postby Canadian_watcher » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:26 am

elfismiles wrote:
As with PKD, and those other rare experiencers who manage to NOT become dogmatically focused on one interpretation of their experiences or of events happening around us, it's important to remain open-minded and skeptical of all possible probabilities.

yes. but then...

elfismiles wrote:
But yeah, the probability of a secret space program raining rocks down on us to scare us into one world government? Probably improbable.

I'm just shooting the shit here, so please no one take me overly seriously or think I am positing a theory or ripping apart anyone else's.

But...

Maybe where we all get lost is in the last half up there. The "...to scare us into one world government" bit.

I would say that that isn't happening at all. No one could or would scare us into wanting or 'calling for' one world government. But isn't it something else entirely if we go back to the good old days a little? A wee rewind in our theory of the motivations of the powers that be, maybe, and we come to a more plausible scenario, such as:

"The probability of a secret space program raining rocks down on us to scare <country's leadership> into <rock-raining country's ambition>?"

That seems more likely, to me. Countries do still threaten each other, right? Unbeknownst to the rest of us, even? Or possibly it could be a secret space program that went haywire. Oh, and while I'm at this, what about the fact that I don't think anyone has seen any rock-like shit that just recently came from space, either. Did they? It mightn't have been rocks is all I'm saying.

anyway, back to the program. thanks for reading.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby conniption » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:18 am

justdrew wrote:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/18/multiple-fireballs-seen-zooming-over-miami/

Authorities received numerous reports of “fireballs” zooming through the sky over Miami on Sunday night, and at least one of them was caught on tape by an amateur videographer.

The source of the lights: officials say they were likely meteors, albeit smaller than the major meteor event filmed over Russia on Friday that left hundreds injured from shattered glass resulting from a shockwave in the atmosphere.

The video of a meteor over Miami was shot by Amanda Mayer, according to NBC Miami. She was filming a flicking light near her apartment when a fireball suddenly streaked across the sky.

Mike Hankey, operations manager for the American Meteor Society, told NBC Miami that the space rock was “traveling from north to south over the east coast of Florida.” He added that anyone who saw a meteor on Sunday night “should feel lucky.”

conniption

Postby 82_28 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:52 am

Canadian_watcher wrote:
elfismiles wrote:
As with PKD, and those other rare experiencers who manage to NOT become dogmatically focused on one interpretation of their experiences or of events happening around us, it's important to remain open-minded and skeptical of all possible probabilities.

yes. but then...

elfismiles wrote:
But yeah, the probability of a secret space program raining rocks down on us to scare us into one world government? Probably improbable.

I'm just shooting the shit here, so please no one take me overly seriously or think I am positing a theory or ripping apart anyone else's.

But...

Maybe where we all get lost is in the last half up there. The "...to scare us into one world government" bit.

I would say that that isn't happening at all. No one could or would scare us into wanting or 'calling for' one world government. But isn't it something else entirely if we go back to the good old days a little? A wee rewind in our theory of the motivations of the powers that be, maybe, and we come to a more plausible scenario, such as:

"The probability of a secret space program raining rocks down on us to scare <country's leadership> into <rock-raining country's ambition>?"

That seems more likely, to me. Countries do still threaten each other, right? Unbeknownst to the rest of us, even? Or possibly it could be a secret space program that went haywire. Oh, and while I'm at this, what about the fact that I don't think anyone has seen any rock-like shit that just recently came from space, either. Did they? It mightn't have been rocks is all I'm saying.

anyway, back to the program. thanks for reading.

No, the threatening of other countries comes outta propaganda. What if I said, fuck you Canadian you have no business here? All of us on Earth are here and there is no right that there are people being told they can't rig the info show that this shit is bunk.

I will say I once had a group of Russian sailors/boathands come in and they broke out a 750 of whiskey or some shit. I was like, "bro, you can't do that! Put that shit away!" They just took their shots, laughed in my face and left. Russians are surly motherfuckers and hard to control given the rules I've been given and follow. And in all honesty, I don't trust them. Har. 82_28 being racist. But I see a Russian and I am immediately on alert. Just the way it is.

You go work in a bar next to a bunch of international boats and be a left wing American. :jumping:
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion