Re: Huge meteor over Russia

Postby crikkett » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:06 pm

http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2

Nasa's live stream of the asteroid flyby
crikkett

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Canadian_watcher » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:55 pm

this is kind of random, but last night I was sitting by the fireplace and sound from outside comes down the chimney there in a freaky way. I started to hear this.. I can't describe it - sort of a moaning siren song but HUGE, like from all over, yet quiet. Anyway eventually I asked my SO if he could hear it, and he could. I said it sounded like the whole universe was singing. He agrees (although thought it was a weird way to explain it)
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Canadian_watcher » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:10 pm

FourthBase wrote:Imagine how this kind of thing must have seemed to prehistoric humans. It must've blown their fucking minds. Well, a lot of stuff back then would've. But this is a little glimpse into the blown-mind of the humans who must have first invented gods like Jehovah and Zeus or their predecessors.

yeah, those guys were stupid back then. I mean shit.. just look at the ancient art and archaeology. Morons.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby FourthBase » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Canadian_watcher wrote:
FourthBase wrote:Imagine how this kind of thing must have seemed to prehistoric humans. It must've blown their fucking minds. Well, a lot of stuff back then would've. But this is a little glimpse into the blown-mind of the humans who must have first invented gods like Jehovah and Zeus or their predecessors.

yeah, those guys were stupid back then. I mean shit.. just look at the ancient art and archaeology. Morons.

Right, that's exactly what I meant. There's no other way to interpret what I said. I must be an obnoxious asshole who casually spits on the intelligence of our relatively-low-tech, relatively-ignorant, but equally-intelligent distant ancestors, who isn't even aware that this meteor just yesterday blew the collective mind of our supposedly-uber-sophisticated, seen-it-all, high-tech generation.
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Postby elfismiles » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:47 pm

Carol Rosin on Werner Von Braun's alleged alerting her to the Escalating Faux Threats Towards Global Governance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-wsBFSsCbI

(2001 Disclosure Press Conference)

Cosmic Coincidence: Russian Meteor, Asteroid Near-Miss on Same Day
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... n-same-day

EDIT...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJLmG67xMgo
"The world is ready to be struck by a meteor and Farmer Charlie tells NASA that if they'll just hit Ctl Alt Delete, the problem will be solved."

I remember another insurance advert featuring meteors.

Also, just a couple days ago I randomly read an old blog post of Mac Tonnies wherein he joked how cool it would be to be walking down the street with a friend and that friend being suddenly hit by a micro-meteor - can't find the post at the moment:

https://www.google.com/search?q=meteor+posthumanblues
Last edited by elfismiles on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Sepka » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:53 pm

barracuda wrote:
According to unconfirmed reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo blew the meteorite to pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers, local newspaper Znak reports quoting a source in the military.

Is there any possible way this has a relationship to something that really happened?

I can readily see a battery commander shooting at it - he's only got a few seconds to decide, it's on a ballistic trajectory, and it's unknown. So far as damaging it, though... It's a boulder. I doubt the missiles would scratch it.
- Sepka the Space Weasel

One Furry Mofo!
Sepka

Postby barracuda » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:56 pm

NASA estimated that the meteor over Russia was about 49 feet wide and weighed about 7,000 tons before it hit the atmosphere. It was about one-quarter the size of the passing asteroid.

As for the back-to-back events, "this is indeed very rare and it is historic," said Jim Green, NASA's director of planetary science.

"These fireballs happen about once a day or so, but we just don't see them because many of them fall over the ocean or in remote areas. This one was an exception," he said on NASA TV.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/02/ ... z2L02qPCIm

I'd say the low trajectory of this object is the only reason there's not much damage. Also because it may have fallen into a lake.

A meteorite that injured scores of people in central Russia when it fell to earth early on Friday plunged into a lake in the Chelyabinsk region, the regional governor said.

“The meteorite that passed over the Chelyabinsk region fell into a body of water 1km from the city of Chebarkul,” said a statement posted on the website of Chelyabinsk governor, Mikhail Yurevich.

Has anyone yet seen high quality video of Asteroid 2012 DA14's flyby? I can't tell if there's gonna be any, or if we just get grainy little specks in space.

At only 17,000 miles away, I would think the 'scopes could do better.
barracuda

Postby Canadian_watcher » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:01 pm

FourthBase wrote:
Canadian_watcher wrote:

Right, that's exactly what I meant. There's no other way to interpret what I said. I must be an obnoxious asshole who casually spits on the intelligence of our relatively-low-tech, relatively-ignorant, but equally-intelligent distant ancestors, who isn't even aware that this meteor just yesterday blew the collective mind of our supposedly-uber-sophisticated, seen-it-all, high-tech generation.

sorry, I guess I couldn't read the novella you imply you have written between the lines there.
My bad.
it's a pet peeve though, when people dismiss ancient civilizations as being unworldly, unsophisticated and relatively child-like based upon the fact that they believed in God(s)/Goddess(es)

Back then they had clean air and beauty, they had ceremony and high art - they understood the rhythms of nature and the stars and the body and they honoured those. They also believed in higher spiritual powers. We know better now - we've learned so much.
Today we have pollution and degradation, flag waving and fart jokes - we laugh at nature's power, scoff at the stars and exploit and poison the body. And we 'discovered' that there is no God, too.

Aren't we just the pinnacle of wisdom?

Canadian_watcher

Postby FourthBase » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:56 pm

Canadian_watcher wrote:
FourthBase wrote:
Canadian_watcher wrote:

sorry, I guess I couldn't read the novella you imply you have written between the lines there.
My bad.
it's a pet peeve though, when people dismiss ancient civilizations as being unworldly, unsophisticated and relatively child-like based upon the fact that they believed in God(s)/Goddess(es)

Back then they had clean air and beauty, they had ceremony and high art - they understood the rhythms of nature and the stars and the body and they honoured those. They also believed in higher spiritual powers. We know better now - we've learned so much.
Today we have pollution and degradation, flag waving and fart jokes - we laugh at nature's power, scoff at the stars and exploit and poison the body. And we 'discovered' that there is no God, too.

Eh, it's not so much that there was some iceberg of meaning beneath what I wrote. It's more that you could have approached what I wrote with a more generous picture of who I am and what I could have possibly meant. You read me as a douche. (Which I could understand, since I've had my douchebag moments here.) But it turns out, I pretty much feel the same as you, lol, go figure. For example, I was really saying (or trying to say, and failing) that it's no surprise if meteoric events like yesterday's inspired prehistoric humans to imagine the kind of gods they did, because even to us today, with all our facts about the solar system, that shit was crazy. I can only imagine what it must have meant to humans who weren't so detached from nature, who weren't presumptuous know-it-alls, who didn't happen to have (or need) an encyclopedic scientific context to deconstruct and diminish the pants-shitting visceral grandeur of something like that meteor.
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Postby Nordic » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:32 pm

"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Nordic » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:34 pm

From a weather satellite
Nordic

Postby Nordic » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:45 pm

Trying to figure out if this is for real:

http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=87801

HAVANA TIMES — Homes in the central Cuban town of Rodas, Cienfuegos shook on Wednesday evening after an explosion overhead, reported ANSA news service.

Witnesses reported the fall of a celestial phenomenon that ended with a huge explosion with a very bright light in the sky that shook their homes, said ANSA citing the Cuban morning TV news program as its source.

Experts are scouring the area in search of any remains that fell to Earth. No reports of injuries or damage to property has come in.

Meanwhile in Russia on Friday, a piece of a meteorite caused extensive material damage and nearly a thousand injures were reported in the Ural region of the country

:shock:
Nordic

Postby elfismiles » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:22 pm

elfismiles wrote:Carol Rosin on Werner Von Braun's alleged alerting her to the Escalating Faux Threats Towards Global Governance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-wsBFSsCbI
(2001 Disclosure Press Conference)

Cosmic Coincidence: Russian Meteor, Asteroid Near-Miss on Same Day
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... n-same-day

Asteroid Passes Earth as UN Mulls Monitoring Network
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-1 ... roids.html

Russian meteorite strike highlights asteroid danger
Friday's Russian meteorite strike highlights the need for a global strategy to deal with dangerous asteroids
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/acros ... oid-danger

Caught Their Attention: House Committee Will Hold Hearing On Asteroids
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... -asteroids
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby justdrew » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:33 pm

It seems very possible DA14 had some smaller chunks co-orbiting near it :shrug:

well, scratch that. the russian meteor came in on a totally different course than DA14
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Canadian_watcher » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:27 am

FourthBase wrote:
Canadian_watcher wrote:
FourthBase wrote:
Canadian_watcher wrote:

My bad.

Eh, it's not so much that there was some iceberg of meaning beneath what I wrote. It's more that you could have approached what I wrote with a more generous picture of who I am and what I could have possibly meant. You read me as a douche. (Which I could understand, since I've had my douchebag moments here.) But it turns out, I pretty much feel the same as you, lol, go figure. For example, I was really saying (or trying to say, and failing) that it's no surprise if meteoric events like yesterday's inspired prehistoric humans to imagine the kind of gods they did, because even to us today, with all our facts about the solar system, that shit was crazy. I can only imagine what it must have meant to humans who weren't so detached from nature, who weren't presumptuous know-it-alls, who didn't happen to have (or need) an encyclopedic scientific context to deconstruct and diminish the pants-shitting visceral grandeur of something like that meteor.

I can get behind that. :egyptian:
and that shit really WAS crazy. The mainstream news tonight sounded positively hollywood with all the near death by meteor stuff.

Canadian_watcher

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion