ten out of ten !
zangtang

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Yellowstone's Volcano (50%) Larger Than Thought

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:32 pm

Study challenges widely accepted theory of Yellowstone formation

By heritagedaily
Posted on February 11, 2016

Understanding the complex geological processes that form supervolcanoes could ultimately help geologists determine what triggers their eruptions. A new study using an advanced computer model casts doubt on previously held theories about the Yellowstone supervolcano’s origins, adding to the mystery of Yellowstone’s formation.

“Our model covered the entire history of Yellowstone volcanic activities,” said Lijun Liu, a geology professor at the University of Illinois. Liu’s computer model accounted for the last 40 million years, prior to even the earliest signs of Yellowstone’s volcanism.

University of Illinois geology professor Lijun Liu used computer simulations to study the origins of the Yellowstone supervolcano. CREDIT : Photo by L. Brian Stauffer

Yellowstone is one of the largest remaining active supervolcanoes. True to its name, a supervolcano is capable of erupting on a much larger scale than an ordinary volcano. The origins of Yellowstone are still under much debate. One of the most prevalent views is that Yellowstone’s supervolcano was formed by a vertical column of hot rocks rising from the top of the earth’s core, known as a mantle plume.

“The majority of previous studies have relied on conceptual, idealized models, which are not physically and geologically accurate,” Liu said. Some recent studies reproduced key geophysical factors in a laboratory setting, including a rising plume and a sinking oceanic plate. However, these studies failed to account for the comprehensive set of geological variables that change over time, influencing the volcanic history.

“Our physical model is more sophisticated and realistic than previous studies, because we simultaneously consider many more relevant dynamic processes,” Liu said.

Using the Blue Waters supercomputer at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the U. of I., one of the fastest supercomputers in the world, Liu’s team created a computer model that replicated both the plate tectonic history of the surface and the geophysical image of the Earth’s interior. This study is the first to use a high-performance supercomputer to interpret the layers of complicated geophysical data underlying Yellowstone, Liu said.

The main goal of the study was to examine whether the initiation and subsequent development of the Yellowstone volcanic system was driven by a mantle plume. The simulated data showed that the plume was blocked from traveling upward toward the surface by ancient tectonic plates, meaning that the plume could not have played a significant role in forming Yellowstone, Liu said.

The researchers published their findings in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

The researchers also examined many other factors that could have played a role in forming Yellowstone. These simulations discounted most of the other theories of Yellowstone’s origins, Liu said. As a result, formation of the Yellowstone volcanic system remains mysterious.

Supervolcanoes are hazardous natural phenomena that evoke public concern, partly because their formation is not well understood. While this area of research is still far from predicting eruptions, Liu said, improving the fundamental understanding of the underlying dynamics of supervolcano formation is key to many future applications of relevant geophysical knowledge.

“This research indicates that we need a multidisciplinary approach to understand complicated natural processes like Yellowstone,” Liu said. “I know people like simple models, but the Earth is not simple.”

http://www.heritagedaily.com/2016/02/study-challenges-widely-accepted-theory-of-yellowstone-formation/109664
Iamwhomiam

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:16 am

NeonLX » 25 Apr 2015 02:19 wrote:
Nordic » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:43 am wrote:
eruptions 2m, 1.2m and 640,000 years ago.

Seems pretty regular. Like "Old Faithful". Seems we're just about due another blast. Give or take a few thousand years.

I've had this strong notion, for quite some time, to move to the Southern Hemisphere ....

New Zealand appeals to me in a very big way.

So does Iceland, but things are a bit bubbly underground there.

NZ is known as the "shaky isles" with good reason.

Check the link for vids and pics:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-35572461
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Grizzly » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:19 am

What!? Will it kill us, deader???
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:34 pm

NASA considers puncturing Yellowstone supervolcano to save life on Earth

by Greg Beach

A new study from NASA’s Jet Propulsion unit has determined that the threat of a supervolcanic eruption to life on Earth may be more pressing than any interstellar collisions. An eruption of a supervolcano, like that found in Yellowstone National Park in the United States, could trigger a collapse of the global agricultural and economic systems and result in the deaths of potentially millions of people. Although NASA scientists can’t predict when such an event would occur, they have already begun preparing a preventative measure: drilling into the magma chamber of a supervolcano to cool it down.

Although the potential consequences of a supervolcano eruption would be devastating, earthlings should rest easy knowing that the chance of such an eruption taking place this year is roughly 1-in-730,000. Even then, there is a chance that it could be nothing more than a little lava flow. Nonetheless, NASA scientists are preparing to deal with the problem before it happens.

Magma eruptions occur only when it is thoroughly melted by intense heat; cooling magma down by 35 percent would prevent a supervolcano from erupting. To do this, the scientists envision using a drill to puncture above the chamber, where hydrothermal fluids are pushed to the surface. Adding water in this highly pressurized environment would be sufficient to cool the magma.

To avoid fracturing the surrounding rock and potentially setting off an eruption, NASA scientists suggest drilling into the supervolcano from below. It is estimated that such a plan would cost around $3.5 billion, although governments would be encouraged to think of this as an investment: Excess heat could be captured and transformed into clean energy.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby Burnt Hill » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Although the potential consequences of a supervolcano eruption would be devastating, earthlings should rest easy knowing that the chance of such an eruption taking place this year is roughly 1-in-730,000. Even then, there is a chance that it could be nothing more than a little lava flow. Nonetheless, NASA scientists are preparing to deal with the problem before it happens.

This does not comfort me.
Burnt Hill

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:11 pm

"To do this, the scientists envision using a drill to puncture above the chamber, where hydrothermal fluids are pushed to the surface. Adding water in this highly pressurized environment would be sufficient to cool the magma."

"To avoid fracturing the surrounding rock and potentially setting off an eruption, NASA scientists suggest drilling into the supervolcano from below.

So they're going to puncture above the chamber by drilling into it from below? Adding water to a high temperature chamber that is already under tremendous pressure seems insane because it's more likely to create an explosive steam cloud expanding rapidly and greatly increasing the overall pressure, enough to cause an eruption, I would think. But then, I'm not a NASA scientist, so what do I know?
Iamwhomiam

Postby Elvis » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:59 am

Our top men are working on this. I have high confidence nothing will go wrong. :shock:
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:32 am

Poking a hibernating super volcano. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby DrEvil » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby elfismiles » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Not Yellowstone's but ... Mount Paektu ???

Scientists Warn: North Korean Super Volcano On Brink Of Eruption

This appears to all source to this guy... ???

EDIT: NO! Not Stephen Grant but Stephen Grand...
https://www.jsg.utexas.edu/researcher/stephen_grand/

Stephen Grant | Professional Profile - LinkedIn
https://www.linkedin.com/in/stephen-grant-8405635b
Austin, Texas - ‎University of Texas at Austin Graduate
I am a graduate of The University of Texas in Austin and obtained a Bachelor of Science in Communication Studies, with a focus of Corporate Communications.
Missing: seismologist

https://www.google.com/search?q=Stephen ... n%2C+Texas

... and of course, "Lukas Magnuson" @Disclose.tv ???

In this researchers team was also Stephen Grant, a seismologist at the University of Austin, Texas. When talking about his estimation about the possibility of a volcanic eruption, he declared: « The risk of a destructive eruption is very real.»

READ MORE: http://www.disclose.tv/news/scientists_ ... ion/137510

InfoWars ...

https://www.infowars.com/nkorea-tests-c ... -eruption/

... led me to ZeroHedge ...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-1 ... o-eruption

... led me to Disclose.tv ...

SCIENTISTS WARN: NORTH KOREAN SUPER VOLCANO ON BRINK OF ERUPTION
by Lukas Magnuson "Anyone can write on Disclose.tv"
http://www.disclose.tv/news/scientists_ ... ion/137510

... led me nowhere ...

January 2017 video ... happy listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dg1QAYaDl8
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby elfismiles » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:33 pm

I'm feeling deja vu about this ...

Stephen Grand, a seismologist at the University of Texas at Austin, previously said: “I think the risk of a destructive eruption here is very real.”

ERUPTION WARNING: North Korean supervolcano could blow and cause WORLDWIDE devastation
A HUGE volcano in North Korea could be on the brink of erupting, and if it does, the explosion could be so severe that it would cause devastation around the entire globe, scientists have warned.
By SEAN MARTIN
PUBLISHED: 06:11, Thu, Jan 19, 2017 | UPDATED: 07:26, Thu, Jan 19, 2017
http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/7 ... -mt-paektu

Volcano Explosion Could Cause Global Catastrophe
January 19, 2017 Edmondo Burr
http://yournewswire.com/north-korea-vol ... tastrophe/

https://www.jsg.utexas.edu/researcher/stephen_grand/

Sacred Volcano in North Korea May Be Waiting to Blow
National Geographic-Apr 15, 2016
It was also enough to pique the interest of seismologist James ... real,” says seismologist Stephen Grand of the University of Texas at Austin.
elfismiles

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:36 pm

^^Now that's what I call thinking outside the box: "We could nuke North Korea and blame it on a volcano." Brilliant.

In other news, a dog ate Lee Harvey Oswald's tax returns.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:56 pm

But seriously, folks: this is from 2009:

Can Humans Cause Earthquakes and Use Them As Weapons? We'll Probably Find Out Soon Enough

Once the topic of arcane science, defense research and conspiracy theories, wider questions emerge on the role humans played in recent earthquakes.

By Scott Thill / AlterNet

March 9, 2009, 9:00 PM GMT

http://www.alternet.org/story/130892/ca ... oon_enough

Would they do it if they could? Could they resist something that technically sweet? (Not to mention the material and geopolitical prizes.)
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby elfismiles » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:44 am

Quake detected in North Korea; monitors differ on whether it was natural or nuclear
Doug Stanglin, USA TODAY Published 6:29 a.m. ET Sept. 23, 2017 | Updated 11:29 a.m. ET Sept. 23, 2017
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 696080001/
elfismiles

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion