Could somebody please explain Benghazi to me?!

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Could somebody please explain Benghazi to me?!

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:16 am

House Benghazi committee files final report and shuts down
Mary Troyan , USA Today 6:07 p.m. EST December 12, 2016

Congress spent more time investigating Benghazi than it did 9/11

Four Americans died in the attack on the U.S. embassy in Libya. (Oct. 22) Newslook

WASHINGTON — The special congressional investigation into the 2012 terrorist attacks in Benghazi is officially over now that the panel filed its final report the day before the House adjourned for the year.

The Select Committee on Benghazi initially released its findings in June but remained in place for months afterward trying to declassify supporting documents like emails and interview transcripts for public release.

The final report, not including dissenting views from committee Democrats, clocks in at more than 322,000 words. It was added to the official House record without fanfare on Dec. 7 by Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., the panel’s chairman.

The panel, which spent more than $7.8 million over two and a half years, disbanded at the end of the 114th Congress, before a new Congress begins in January.

The special committee was created in May 2014 to investigate the terrorist attacks at the U.S. compound in eastern Libya where four Americans died, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens.

In June, the Benghazi Committee report was endorsed by the Republican committee members but not the Democrats. It severely criticized military, CIA and Obama administration officials for their response as the attacks unfolded and their subsequent explanations to the American people. It accused the government of incompetence at various levels, including a failure to deploy needed military assets, CIA intelligence reports that were “rife with errors,” and misguided planning even in the midst of the violence. The report did not single out wrongdoing by then-secretary of State Hillary Clinton, although some Republicans on the panel alleged that overall concern for her political future influenced and hampered some of the decision-making surrounding policy in Libya.

Clinton’s use of a private email server while she was secretary of State was revealed as part of the Benghazi investigation, but the committee did not investigate whether the setup led to improper handling of classified information. The FBI declined to pursue criminal charges regarding the email system, but it was a major issue in the 2016 presidential election.

Gowdy on Monday called the report the “final, definitive accounting” of the Benghazi attacks.

“The committee is proud to have been able to tell the story of the ingenuity and bravery displayed by our nation’s heroes in Benghazi, who banded together to save one another, when no other help was ever on the way,” Gowdy said.

Democrats contended all along that the committee was a political effort to taint Clinton, an allegation that got some traction when House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., told Fox News that because of the committee, "her numbers are dropping."

The panel’s top Democrat, Rep. Elijah Cummings of Maryland, said Monday that the final report was a “desperate rehash.”

“Republicans voted on this partisan report five months ago, but delayed filing it and completing the committee until after the election,” Cummings said. “Republicans promised a process that was fair and bipartisan, but the American people got exactly the opposite.”
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /95336692/
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun May 28, 2017 12:05 pm

Judge Dismisses Lawsuit Against Hillary Clinton Filed By Families Of Benghazi Victims
Four Americans were killed in the attack in 2012.

Posted on May 28, 2017, at 12:54 a.m.
Salvador Hernandez

Mary Altaffer / AP
A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed against Hillary Clinton by the families of two Americans killed in the 2012 attack on the US diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya.

The suit, filed last year by the parents of Sean Smith and Tyrone Woods, alleged that the former Secretary of State's use of a private email server caused the death of their sons by exposing sensitive information to terrorists. The suit also claimed that Clinton defamed the families by contradicting accounts they gave of the events leading up to the attack.

"The untimely death of plaintiffs' sons is tragic, and the Court does not mean to minimize the unspeakable loss that plaintiffs have suffered in any way," US District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson wrote in her ruling Friday tossing out the suit.

"But when one applies the appropriate legal standards," Jackson continued, "it is clear that plaintiffs have not alleged sufficient facts to rebut the presumption that Secretary Clinton was acting in her official capacity when she used her private email server to communicate with State Department personnel about State Department business."

The judge also ruled the families had not sufficiently argued that Clinton defamed them, or cast them in a negative light, in statements she made during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Smith, a foreign service information management officer, and Woods, a CIA contractor, were among the four people killed in the Sept. 11, 2012 attack on the Benghazi compound. CIA operative Glen Doherty and US Ambassador Christopher Stevens were also killed in the attack.

Among the parents who filed the suit against Clinton was Patricia Smith, who delivered an emotional speech at the 2016 Republican National Convention blasting Clinton for failing to protect the men killed in the Benghazi attack.

In dismissing the case Friday, the court stressed that the ruling should not be construed as a determination about the propriety of Clinton's use of a private email server, or about the truthfulness of her statements to the families of those killed in the attack.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/salvadorhernan ... lm39oE0Zqz
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby JackRiddler » Mon May 29, 2017 4:51 pm

seemslikeadream » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:16 am wrote:
House Benghazi committee files final report and shuts down
Mary Troyan , USA Today 6:07 p.m. EST December 12, 2016

Congress spent more time investigating Benghazi than it did 9/11

Now there's an understatement. In years, about the same time (if you add the JICI and the 9/11 Commission together.) In hours of hearings and human-hours of research and clerical work, I'll wild-guess six times. In pages of junk released, must be a dozen or more times. What's most disgusting is that in media coverage, which is a corporate and not a Congressional decision, the Benghazi proceedings must have gotten at least twice as much as the 9/11 investigations.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby BenDhyan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:40 pm

A comprehensive coverage of US black ops involvement in Libya ans Syria...

Six Year Anniversary of The September 11th Attack in Benghazi Libya…
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby Jerky » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:20 pm

Ben, why would you promote a Breitbart-related website here? Did you find the information "fair and balanced"?

I watched Benghazi coverage until my eyes and ears bled, and even with the hindsight of half a decade plus, I STILL can't fathom how the Republicans managed to succeed in transforming this one, relatively minor fuckup (in the grand scheme of recent US military fuckups) into the Blood Libel, pseudo-Satanic Crime of the Century-slash-Abomination of Desolation by way of the Long Dark Night of the Soul. It boggles the mind and provides pretty much proof positive that both parties aren't playing according to an even vaguely similar set of rules. What doesn't even register beyond a single news cycle for Republicans ends up being a years-long ordeal and a career-ending or at least forever irremovable Scarlet Letter branded onto the forehead for Democrats... ESPECIALLY those of the female variety.

J.

BenDhyan » 11 Sep 2018 23:40 wrote:A comprehensive coverage of US black ops involvement in Libya ans Syria...

Six Year Anniversary of The September 11th Attack in Benghazi Libya…
Jerky

Postby BenDhyan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:35 pm

There is no intention to promote or misinform Jerky, I had always understood that the CIA was behind the regime change in Libya, and the attempted regime change in Syria, and that Syrian rebels were provided with US weapons, etc, etc.. If you think this article has it wrong or it is invalid because the author is conservative, no sweat.
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby Jerky » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:11 am

It's not that it's 'conservative', because it's not conservative. It's bogus ass fake news disinfo. Altho this particular article isn't the worst offender in their canon. Still, I just read the whole damn thing, and it STILL doesn't manage to get to the point of why THIS particular crime of empire is any worse than any of the dozen or so other crimes of empire that took place in the same calendar year (much less the far, far worse ones that had taken place in the decade prior).

Also, if you think "the CIA" was behind the regime change in Libya, I suggest you go back and do a bit more research on the topic. Hell, even the article you linked to points out some factual information that would lead you to question that conclusion (altho they seem to fail to notice it, themselves).

Sincerely,
YOPJ
Jerky

Postby BenDhyan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:52 am

Jerky » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:11 pm wrote:It's not that it's 'conservative', because it's not conservative. It's bogus ass fake news disinfo. Altho this particular article isn't the worst offender in their canon. Still, I just read the whole damn thing, and it STILL doesn't manage to get to the point of why THIS particular crime of empire is any worse than any of the dozen or so other crimes of empire that took place in the same calendar year (much less the far, far worse ones that had taken place in the decade prior).

Also, if you think "the CIA" was behind the regime change in Libya, I suggest you go back and do a bit more research on the topic. Hell, even the article you linked to points out some factual information that would lead you to question that conclusion (altho they seem to fail to notice it, themselves).

Sincerely,
YOPJ

So please point out specifically what you think is fake so I can assess it? As for it failing to make a point of why THIS particular crime isn't worse than other crimes of empire, I was not aware of that being the author's intention, how do you know that was his point? So you think the CIA played no part in enabling the removal of the Gaddafi regime?
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:18 am

So you think the CIA played no part in enabling the removal of the Gaddafi regime?

Disingenuous. Sophistry. Shameful. Worthy of a slug. Won't you kindly, of your own free will, for the greater good, determine to reduce your output on this board to zero per annum? You woud be a real winner if you did. A great guy like you!
Last edited by JackRiddler on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby Elvis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:32 am

Uh-oh. Jack, those last two words cross a line, please delete them (I know you can find words just as effective without breaking Jeff's rule).
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:56 am

Elvis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:32 am wrote:Uh-oh. Jack, those last two words cross a line, please delete them (I know you can find words just as effective without breaking Jeff's rule).

The no-fuck rule as far as I know applies to thread titles.

The violation of imputing nonsense that posters didn't say or imply or even conceive, in a way that exposes the speaker as a fucking liar and unevolved slug, should be taken seriously. Like, if I replied to this BenD character (who has been here for way too long, given the shitty output) by asking him out of the blue if he's saying he's a fan of pedophile priests, it would be structurally the same thing that BenD just did. Fuck that noise. Are you a mod now by the way?

Ah, yes you are. Welcome to the thankless slog, for which we are actually thankful.

JackRiddler

Postby Elvis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:11 am

JackRiddler wrote:The no-fuck rule as far as I know applies to thread titles.

It applies to the body of the post as well, when directed at members: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=26112

Thanks for editing. And yeah, moderating kinda sucks but somebody's gotta do it.

Anyway, I never followed the Benghazi kerfuffle, but without knowing much about it, I just assumed it had something to do with smuggling weapons out of Libya into Syria and such. Could covering up such activity be part of it? Apologies for my ignorance on the matter.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby BenDhyan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:21 am

JackRiddler » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:18 pm wrote:
So you think the CIA played no part in enabling the removal of the Gaddafi regime?

Disingenuous. Sophistry. Shameful. Worthy of a slug. Won't you kindly, of your own free will, for the greater good, determine to reduce your output on this board to zero per annum? You woud be a real winner if you did. A great guy like you!

Sorry for triggering you dear Jackie.. :crybaby

Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:49 am

Not at all. I work fast. It's routine garbage disposal. Bennie.

JackRiddler

Postby BenDhyan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:53 am

Well I'm glad that's over...
Ben D
BenDhyan

Previous

Return to General Discussion