Could somebody please explain Benghazi to me?!

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Could somebody please explain Benghazi to me?!

Postby Jerky » Wed May 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Every day via right-wing news source I keep hearing about how "Benghazi" is going to "bring down" the Obama White House and "destroy" Hilary Clinton's career. But the only explanation for HOW that is going to happen that I've been able to suss out is that, apparently, they "knew more" than they admitted to knowing at the time.

I mean... excuse me, but isn't that just basic EVERYDAY COMMON PROCEDURE with the American govt? How in God's name can this possibly "bring down" the White House?!

Curious,
Jerky
Jerky

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Could somebody please explain Benghazi to me?!

Postby justdrew » Wed May 08, 2013 7:29 pm

why do you need an explanation?

The right wing fascists have waged full on psiwar against this administration since before day 1

They are losing and are desperate wounded animals and may just go full retard any minute now.

There's nothing to it. There doesn't need to be. Their base is so conditioned and mind controlled they eat this shit up. It might be just a ratings thing though. They're desperate to retain whatever audience they can.

I consider it very likely the darker elements of the rightwing fascist networks CONTROLLED and initiated the attack and that they planned on it being far worse than it was. Their intention was to create another Iran Hostage rescue fail type incident, just before the election. Obama didn't take the bait and their plan was largely foiled. Now they're just trying to get what they can out of it, and keep on the attack least we take a closer look at them.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Jerky » Wed May 08, 2013 7:35 pm

You know, I'd be more inclined to be in your corner on this one, JD, if it wasn't for the fact that I see Hilary as being so central to / instrumental in the GENERALIZED, non-party govt power-structure of the current American realpolitik.

I was an observer and frequent commenter during the first Clinton era (1992/2000). I know that they were victimized by a truly fascist shadow regime. There can be no doubt about that. And I also know that their crimes PALE in comparison to the crimes of those arrayed against them. But I can't help but feel that either a) the right is blustering for no reason on this (and knowingly so), or b) they've got something up their sleeve, and I will be DAMNED if I can figure out what it is just by immersing myself in the mainstream data-stream.

Any uncanny insights to be had here would be much appreciated.

Jerky
Jerky

Postby Jerky » Wed May 08, 2013 7:38 pm

By the way, THANKS for your take. It gibes with mine, to be honest. But I still worry there might be more THERE there than I can currently perceive.
Jerky

Postby justdrew » Wed May 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Jerky wrote:You know, I'd be more inclined to be in your corner on this one, JD, if it wasn't for the fact that I see Hilary as being so central to / instrumental in the GENERALIZED, non-party govt power-structure of the current American realpolitik.

I was an observer and frequent commenter during the first Clinton era (1992/2000). I know that they were victimized by a truly fascist shadow regime. There can be no doubt about that. And I also know that their crimes PALE in comparison to the crimes of those arrayed against them. But I can't help but feel that either a) the right is blustering for no reason on this (and knowingly so), or b) they've got something up their sleeve, and I will be DAMNED if I can figure out what it is just by immersing myself in the mainstream data-stream.

Any uncanny insights to be had here would be much appreciated.

Jerky

well how about this one:
I consider it very likely the darker elements of the rightwing fascist networks CONTROLLED and initiated the attack and that they planned on it being far worse than it was. Their intention was to create another Iran Hostage rescue fail type incident, just before the election. Obama didn't take the bait and their plan was largely foiled. Now they're just trying to get what they can out of it, and keep on the attack least we take a closer look at them.

you know damn well all those shadowy fuckers are and have always been in contact with non-iranian "jihadis" - and I don't think we still know at all WHO those attackers were exactly.

The same forces that marshaled to protect the 19 are the hand behind this attack.

The bluster may be just that, I wouldn't be surprised if some efforts are underway to prove that and may soon bear fruit.
justdrew

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed May 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Jerky » Wed May 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Yes, I added a second response specifically thanking you. Sorry I forgot to in the first response to you.

justdrew wrote:
Jerky wrote:Any uncanny insights to be had here would be much appreciated.
Jerky

well how about this one:

you know damn well all those shadowy fuckers are and have always been in contact with non-iranian "jihadis" - and I don't think we still know at all WHO those attackers were exactly.

The same forces that marshaled to protect the 19 are the hand behind this attack.

The bluster may be just that, I wouldn't be surprised if some efforts are underway to prove that and may soon bear fruit.
Jerky

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed May 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Republicans and the Benghazi Hearings: They Didn't Complain About Bush and All the Terrorist Attacks on Diplomats Under His Watch

DEE EVANS FOR BUZZFLASH AT TRUTHOUT

What do these numbers and countries mean?

In 2002 Karachi, Pakistan; 2004, Uzbekistan; 2004, Saudi Arabia; 2006, Syria; 2007, Athens; 2008, Serbia; 2008, Yemen.

No, it's not a puzzle, but given the current nature of our political discourse, the story behind it will no doubt puzzle you.

Listed above are the years and countries where United States' Embassies were attacked under our previous commander-in-chief, George W. Bush. I found this to be quite revealing given the all out "hair on fire" witch hunt that is currently taking place amongst conservative pundits and Republicans in Congress over the embassy attack in Benghazi, Libya last year. Now, I will be the first to say that even one person killed in an attack on our embassies is too many, but the fact that seven (count 'em SEVEN!) embassies were attacked and many people killed under the previous Republican administration and we heard nary a word of dismay is more than puzzling, it's downright unbelievable!

Now where does the Republican hero of heroes stand on the attack meter? There were three embassy attacks during Ronald Reagan's presidency, two in 1983 - Beirut (more than 60 killed including 17 Americans) and Kuwait - and one in 1987 in Italy.

In fact, history shows that each of the presidents of the past few decades have had to deal with embassy attacks and bombings. For some reason, I don't ever recall there being so much unrest following an attack as there is now under President Obama.

I guess what really sent me reeling was today when I read about Mike Huckabee's well-crafted remarks on the radio that "Benghazi will be Obama's Watergate" and "this President will not fill out his full term". Excuse me? Let me get this straight. Not only did 9/11 happen on Bush's watch, but seven embassy attacks and Obama is the one that will be ousted? Huckabee claimed that the so-called Benghazi "cover-up" was worse than Watergate "because no one died." Well, I have one question for Mr. Huckabee: How many people died because of the Iraq War "weapons of mass destruction" cover-up? How many American soldiers gave their lives for a war of choice built on exaggeration, manipulation and outright lies? Is that worse than Watergate?

But see, we can't mention that because Bush "kept us safe" remember? Sorry, but if you think that's safe then I have a bridge in San Francisco I want to sell you.

I agree that there may still be some questions that need to be answered regarding the attacks in Benghazi and the families of those who died who have questions deserve to have their questions answered. However, the level of vitriol that is coming out of the Right because of these attacks is undeniably partisan and disgusting.

What's even more outrageous is that absolutely no one is discussing the fact that it was the House Republicans who cut $300 million from the Obama administration's US embassy security budget not long before the embassy attack in Benghazi took place. Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT), who is one of the Republicans bravely leading the Benghazi charge, didn't seem too concerned about the embassy in Libya last year when he made the following statement on CNN in an interview with Soledad O'Brien.

O'BRIEN: Is it true that you voted to cut the funding for embassy security?
CHAFFETZ: Absolutely. Look, we have to make priorities and choices in this country. We have - think about this - 15,000 contractors in Iraq. We have more than 6,000 contractors, private army there for President Obama in Baghdad.
And we're talking about can we get two dozen or so people into Libya to help protect our forces? When you're in tough economic times, you have to make difficult choices how to prioritize this.
As Washington Post's Dana Milbank wrote:

For fiscal 2013, the GOP-controlled House proposed spending $1.934 billion for the State Department's Worldwide Security Protection program — well below the $2.15 billion requested by the Obama administration. House Republicans cut the administration's request for embassy security funding by $128 million in fiscal 2011 and $331 million in fiscal 2012. ...Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned that Republicans' proposed cuts to her department would be "detrimental to America's national security" — a charge Republicans rejected.
So in a nutshell this is what is just driving me to the brink of insanity. Republicans are on a non-stop witch hunt about lack of security at the US Embassy in Benghazi and yet no one in the media (except Soledad...why was she let go again?) seems to be questioning the indisputable fact that it was Republicans who insisted on cutting the funding for embassy security right before the embassy in Benghazi was attacked. Absolutely no one seems to be holding the Republicans feet to the fire that they helped set!

I had a thought a few years ago about how this country came together after September 11 and how Democrats and Republicans put partisan politics aside for the good of the country. I thought about how the Democrats rallied around George W. Bush following the attack and pretty much voted yes to anything he wanted in the spirit of "we're all in this together". I wondered out loud what would happen if God forbid something like that happened today? Would the country (and Republicans) rally around the President for the good of the country, would the Republicans vote yes on anything President Obama asked or would there be the blame-game, finger-pointing, and hearings about what Obama did wrong? Unfortunately, I think we all know the answer to this one and it actually saddens me.

So as we continue to watch the Masterpiece Theatre that is the Benghazi Hearings, let's all play a drinking game. Every time a Republican says "embassy security" throw a drink at the TV.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby justdrew » Wed May 08, 2013 8:12 pm

Hicks, a veteran Foreign Service officer who is scheduled to testify before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee on Wednesday, told congressional staffers that he and others in Libya thought that flying U.S. military jets over Benghazi during the early hours of the attack could have had a deterrent effect.

Hicks - who couldn't be bothered to answer his phone til the third time Stevens called

"thinks" flying jets over the city might have scared off the attackers

bullshit. he's a foolish ass to think so.

remember all the SA-7s lying around?

every one of these republican pieces of human garbage should be ashamed of themselves, but let's realize, they have no shame.
justdrew

Postby FourthBase » Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 pm

I knew there was something huge today when Hicks testified that Mills discouraged him from talking to the Republicans without a lawyer. Others may say, "But that's good advice, Rethugs are scum!" Yeah, I know. They were wrong yesterday. They'll be wrong tomorrow. They were wrong at 9am, they are wrong at 9pm. But, they might have been right today, this afternoon. Elijah Cummings was right, too, don't get me wrong. And yeah, whatever arms-smuggling or torture was happening through that consulate, Stevens and Hicks and that other weepy guy probably have some of its blood on their hands, too. Hell, Hicks might be a neo-Nazi crisis actor intent to bring down a black president, for all I know. But something bad, very bad, happened at Benghazi. When you hear testimony about stand-down orders and jets not flying fast enough...your ears don't perk up? I watched the entire hearing. Just for the record: Saw not one single nose tap thing. This committee, this oversight committee, might be filled with Republican douches, Democratic douches, but maybe these are some of the few douches in Congress with a modicum of integrity. Even (yuck) Issa, the car alarm dude. So fucking annoying and usually wrong. But, what if he can't be totally bought? What if Trey Gowdy doesn't play ball for anyone? Well, at least when he's in the "opposition party", of course. Stephen Lynch is there. He indulges in some nepotism back here, a little, looks like a febrile alcoholic, lol, but I voted for him, and now I'm happy he lost, as he'll represent Southie well by belonging to this committee. Chaffetz's tears might be herpetological, but what happened in Benghazi may yet be something to cry about. It does make a difference. Brace yourselves Democrat-loyalists, because those wingnuts seem to have had half of a point all this time. Benghazi may be bigger than Watergate. Not nearly as big as Iran/Contra or 9/11 or other atrocious scandals, not least of which the financial variety, and maybe Benghazi was just infighting and backstabbing between crooks and craven spooks playing a dirty game, still playing it, but it's still big. Will the world be better off if this helps the Republicans take office? Hell fucking no, lol, the opposite. But. Is there no other way we may vote? There is! Stay tuned!
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed May 08, 2013 9:28 pm

FourthBase wrote:I knew there was something huge today when Hicks testified that Mills discouraged him from talking to the Republicans without a lawyer. Others may say, "But that's good advice, Rethugs are scum!" Yeah, I know. They were wrong yesterday. They'll be wrong tomorrow. They were wrong at 9am, they are wrong at 9pm. But, they might have been right today, this afternoon. Elijah Cummings was right, too, don't get me wrong. And yeah, whatever arms-smuggling or torture was happening through that consulate, Stevens and Hicks and that other weepy guy probably have some of its blood on their hands, too. Hell, Hicks might be a neo-Nazi crisis actor intent to bring down a black president, for all I know. But something bad, very bad, happened at Benghazi. When you hear testimony about stand-down orders and jets not flying fast enough...your ears don't perk up? I watched the entire hearing. Just for the record: Saw not one single nose tap thing. This committee, this oversight committee, might be filled with Republican douches, Democratic douches, but maybe these are some of the few douches in Congress with a modicum of integrity. Even (yuck) Issa, the car alarm dude. So fucking annoying and usually wrong. But, what if he can't be totally bought? What if Trey Gowdy doesn't play ball for anyone? Well, at least when he's in the "opposition party", of course. Stephen Lynch is there. He indulges in some nepotism back here, a little, looks like a febrile alcoholic, lol, but I voted for him, and now I'm happy he lost, as he'll represent Southie well by belonging to this committee. Chaffetz's tears might be herpetological, but what happened in Benghazi may yet be something to cry about. It does make a difference. Brace yourselves Democrat-loyalists, because those wingnuts seem to have had half of a point all this time. Benghazi may be bigger than Watergate. Not nearly as big as Iran/Contra or 9/11 or other atrocious scandals, not least of which the financial variety, and maybe Benghazi was just infighting and backstabbing between crooks and craven spooks playing a dirty game, still playing it, but it's still big. Will the world be better off if this helps the Republicans take office? Hell fucking no, lol, the opposite. But. Is there no other way we may vote? There is! Stay tuned!

you've been watching Glen Beck just a little bit too much :roll:

2002 Karachi, Pakistan; 2004, Uzbekistan; 2004, Saudi Arabia; 2006, Syria; 2007, Athens; 2008, Serbia; 2008, Yemen.
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Wed May 08, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Hunter » Wed May 08, 2013 9:28 pm

I deleted an article here because it was a bad source. My mistake, my apologies.
Last edited by Hunter on Wed May 08, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter

Postby Hunter » Wed May 08, 2013 9:30 pm

FourthBase wrote:I knew there was something huge today when Hicks testified that Mills discouraged him from talking to the Republicans without a lawyer. Others may say, "But that's good advice, Rethugs are scum!" Yeah, I know. They were wrong yesterday. They'll be wrong tomorrow. They were wrong at 9am, they are wrong at 9pm. But, they might have been right today, this afternoon. Elijah Cummings was right, too, don't get me wrong. And yeah, whatever arms-smuggling or torture was happening through that consulate, Stevens and Hicks and that other weepy guy probably have some of its blood on their hands, too. Hell, Hicks might be a neo-Nazi crisis actor intent to bring down a black president, for all I know. But something bad, very bad, happened at Benghazi. When you hear testimony about stand-down orders and jets not flying fast enough...your ears don't perk up? I watched the entire hearing. Just for the record: Saw not one single nose tap thing. This committee, this oversight committee, might be filled with Republican douches, Democratic douches, but maybe these are some of the few douches in Congress with a modicum of integrity. Even (yuck) Issa, the car alarm dude. So fucking annoying and usually wrong. But, what if he can't be totally bought? What if Trey Gowdy doesn't play ball for anyone? Well, at least when he's in the "opposition party", of course. Stephen Lynch is there. He indulges in some nepotism back here, a little, looks like a febrile alcoholic, lol, but I voted for him, and now I'm happy he lost, as he'll represent Southie well by belonging to this committee. Chaffetz's tears might be herpetological, but what happened in Benghazi may yet be something to cry about. It does make a difference. Brace yourselves Democrat-loyalists, because those wingnuts seem to have had half of a point all this time. Benghazi may be bigger than Watergate. Not nearly as big as Iran/Contra or 9/11 or other atrocious scandals, not least of which the financial variety, and maybe Benghazi was just infighting and backstabbing between crooks and craven spooks playing a dirty game, still playing it, but it's still big. Will the world be better off if this helps the Republicans take office? Hell fucking no, lol, the opposite. But. Is there no other way we may vote? There is! Stay tuned!

This is actually a good post, I dont know if it is all true but I am willing to entertain the possibility it could be, because, well as I have pointed out before, this is precisely what the CIA does isnt it?
Hunter

Postby FourthBase » Wed May 08, 2013 9:31 pm

you've been watching Glen Beck just a little bit too much

Yeah, because what I wrote is so reminiscent of Glenn Beck. :lol:
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Postby Hunter » Wed May 08, 2013 9:32 pm

I am watching the hearings very closely so before anyone wants to jump my ass be sure you have watched them also and know what is being said. I DVR this shit and listen to every fucking word.
Hunter

Next

Return to General Discussion