Edward Snowden, American Hero

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Edward Snowden, American Hero

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:54 am

Sorry, Rapoport's rendering has little to do with the story as Snowden tells it. How does Snowden have access to these super-high level secrets? Because that's the program he's in. And it's a huge program with thousands of people working in it, all of whom are sworn to secrecy but know how PRISM works because they're its essential operators. Snowden says clearly that he had enormous personal authority to conduct searches without warrants, including of the president's records, and that he was only one of thousands. This makes sense. This machine could never work without armies of personnel.

When a Manning or a Snowden or a Drake come forward, pretty much the last question I'm going to think of is "Who's the unknown high-level white hat who is pulling the strings on this proletarian who imagines he's blown the whistle without help from real masterminds of the kind Jon Rapoport would take seriously?" The only question I ask myself, as also one of the working class, is: "Why the fuck aren't there hundreds of these people?" May it come to be.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:50 am

JackRiddler » 12 Jun 2013 14:54 wrote:Sorry, Rapoport's rendering has little to do with the story as Snowden tells it. How does Snowden have access to these super-high level secrets? Because that's the program he's in. And it's a huge program with thousands of people working in it, all of whom are sworn to secrecy but know how PRISM works because they're its essential operators. Snowden says clearly that he had enormous personal authority to conduct searches without warrants, including of the president's records, and that he was only one of thousands. This makes sense. This machine could never work without armies of personnel.

When a Manning or a Snowden or a Drake come forward, pretty much the last question I'm going to think of is "Who's the unknown high-level white hat who is pulling the strings on this proletarian who imagines he's blown the whistle without help from real masterminds of the kind Jon Rapoport would take seriously?" The only question I ask myself, as also one of the working class, is: "Why the fuck aren't there hundreds of these people?" May it come to be.

I pretty much agree with you jack.

But

I have noticed that last week it was all about Chinese cyber warfare. (In Australian MSMs minimal interaction with the outside world.)

This week it isn't. Its US cyber-surveillance - which is a form of cyber warfare.

And the whistleblower is now in Hong Kong. Well was. (probably.)

It may be unrelated, but its convenient for China.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby dqueue » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:06 am

JackRiddler » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:54 am wrote:Sorry, Rapoport's rendering has little to do with the story as Snowden tells it. How does Snowden have access to these super-high level secrets? Because that's the program he's in. And it's a huge program with thousands of people working in it, all of whom are sworn to secrecy but know how PRISM works because they're its essential operators. Snowden says clearly that he had enormous personal authority to conduct searches without warrants, including of the president's records, and that he was only one of thousands. This makes sense. This machine could never work without armies of personnel.

I'm not so sure about this. He alluded to having a broader view of multiple programs/compartments due to his responsibilities as systems administrator. He described co-workers comfortably working within one program/compartment; while, his own discomfort grew as he saw a bigger picture. Attempts to discuss the bigger picture with peers fell flat. Anyhow, privileged, system-level access across a network, or multiple networks of computers would allow for an insider threat attack, a la Manning. It would be within the realm of possibility he had an angel, or two. It's a reasoned hypothesis, at least.
We discover ourselves to be characters in a novel, being both propelled by and victimized by various kinds of coincidental forces that shape our lives. ... It is as though you trapped the mind in the act of making reality. - Terence McKenna
dqueue

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:26 am

A Whistleblower Holding All The Cards
Why is Edward Snowden in Hong Kong?
by DAVE LINDORFF
A lot of people in the US media are asking why America’s most famous whistleblower, 29-year old Edward Snowden, hied himself off to the city state of Hong Kong, a wholly owned subsidiary of the People’s Republic of China, to seek at least temporary refuge.

Hong Kong has an extradition treaty with the US, they say. And as for China, which controls the international affairs of its Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, while granting it local autonomy to govern its domestic affairs, its leaders “may not want to irritate the US” at a time when the Chinese economy is stumbling.

These people don’t have much understanding of either Hong Kong or of China.

As someone who has spent almost seven years in China and Hong Kong, let me offer my thoughts about why Snowden, obviously a very savvy guy despite his lack of a college education, went where he did.

First of all, forget about Hong Kong’s extradition treaty. When it comes to deciding whether someone will be extradited, particularly for a political crime, as opposed to a simple murder or bank heist, the decision will be made in Beijing, not in a Hong Kong courtroom. Second, Hong Kong has a long history of providing a haven to dissidents — even to dissidents wanted by the Chinese government. Consider, for example, the Chinese labor movement activist Han Dongfang, who was the subject of a massive dragnet after the Tiananmen protests, but who successfully fled to Hong Kong before the handover of the place from Britain to China, and is continuing to monitor Chinese labor strife and protest from his home on Hong Kong’s Lamma Island. Hong Kong also has a public that is very supportive of democratic values — certainly more so than the majority of American citizens. Hong Kong people may not be paying too much attention to Snowden’s situation right now, but if the US were to actively seek to extradite him, I am confident that the place would erupt in support for him, including the local media.

As for China, while the issue that has Snowden on the run — exposing an Orwellian spying program targeting the American people and run by the super-secret National Security Agency — is certainly not one that the Chinese government likes to discuss in terms of their own locked-down society, you can bet that the folks in the Propaganda Bureau in Beijing, and in the inner circle of the government, are rubbing their hands with glee both at the incredible embarrassment their harboring of Snowden causes the hypocritical US, and at the trove of intelligence information he has, which they may be able ultimately to lure him into disclosing if they treat him well.

Then too, there is the matter of the Confucian concept of gift-giving and mutual obligations. It was, I am sure, no accident that Snowden chose the weekend that President Obama was hosting a summit in California with China’s new president Xi Jinping to disclose his identity as the NSA whistleblower who exposed the national spying program to the Guardian and the Washington Post. In doing that, he gave President Xi an incredible gift — the chance to hold the upper hand in his negotiations with a hugely embarrassed and compromised Obama over issues like Chinese computer hacking of US corporate and government secrets, and theft of intellectual property. For of course it is clear that the NSA is at least as active in hacking Chinese computers and spying on Chinese communications.

Such a gift as that is not easily ignored or forgotten in Chinese culture. President Xi owes Snowden a lot, and I believe he will honor that debt by seeing that Snowden is protected from any threat that might be posed to him by a vindictive or frightened US government.

But Snowden isn’t relying solely on Chinese cultural values to protect himself.

He was also careful to send a powerful message of warning to the US officials in the videoed public interview he gave [1] outing himself. As he told interviewer Glenn Greenwald, “I had access to the full rosters of everyone working at the NSA, the entire intelligence community, and undercover assets all over the world. The locations of every station, we have what their missions are and so forth. If I had just wanted to harm the US? You could shut down the surveillance system in an afternoon.”

That one line at the end had to make the folks in Langley and at NSA headquarters sit up straight or to head to the bar for a stiff one! And indeed he could. And I will guarantee you, Snowden being as smart as he is, that he has already taken that information and dispersed it to a number of trusted people, perhaps including Greenwald, with instructions that they should put it all out on the Web if anything happens to him, such as his being kidnapped or disappeared or terminated. It’s a wonderful insurance policy and one that would not have escaped him. Nor would he have bothered to discover that he had all that information available to him if he hadn’t thought that he might need it.

It would be a relatively easy matter for the high-tech spooks at the NSA to retrace Snowden’s electronic trail to see if he really did download all that super-secret information and really could blow up the entire US spy machine. If they find out that he really has that information, he’s basically untouchable.

The real question is not what they are going to do to Snowden. It’s what we Americans are going to do now that we know how truly insane and totalitarian our government has become.

Will we go back to watching our sports teams and our reality TV programming, and forget about the fact that we no longer have any privacy in our lives, that our elected leaders and our judges are operating on the assumption that if they get out of line the fascist machine at the NSA that works in service of the corporate elite will blackmail or destroy them with its access to all their communications. Or will we rise up and demand an end to this high-tech tyranny in the name of a fraudulent “War” on Terror?

Snowden exiled himself and gave up a great job in Hawaii in the hope that we would rise up when we learned that our democracy has been hijacked.

Let’s hope he’s right.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Col Quisp » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:47 am

Will we go back to watching our sports teams and our reality TV programming, and forget about the fact that we no longer have any privacy in our lives, that our elected leaders and our judges are operating on the assumption that if they get out of line the fascist machine at the NSA that works in service of the corporate elite will blackmail or destroy them with its access to all their communications. Or will we rise up and demand an end to this high-tech tyranny in the name of a fraudulent “War” on Terror?

I would bet on the former option. Robin Quivers, when questioned by Howard Stern about whether she's worried that her phone conversations are being spied upon, said sarcastically, "yes." Then went on to say, in so many words, she doesn't care because her conversations are not that interesting. As Quivers goes, so goes the nation. Most people are probably going to think, "Ive got nothing to hide." Even our whistleblower said that he is not going to hide because he's done nothing wrong.

Besides, how do you stop a runaway train? I think Snowden is genuine, but could be a puppet. His career trajectory is pretty wild. And as one of the above posts saiid, if someone like Snowden can acces all this stuff, then it's not very secure. Unless he was fed the stuff. Or it's possible the programs are not really capable of doing what he claims, and "they" let him leak this to make people THINK they can do it, in order to raise paranoia levels and keep people from speaking out. This is psychological warfare, and that is what "they" specialize in. That is why I am not jumping on the bandwagon to exalt this "hero." I was not one of the RI members who disemboweled disbelievers in Sandy Hook, by the way. I don't believe THAT story either. I don't believe ANYTHING in the news that goes viral.

I am Diogenes.
Col Quisp

Postby Canadian_watcher » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Do you believe the stuff that doesn't go viral? Like Thomas Drake and William Binney, also both NSA whistleblowers that said the same things?
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Published on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 by Common Dreams
Snowden Claims U.S. 'Trying to Bully' Hong Kong for Extradition
Snowden: 'Im not here to hide, I'm here to reveal criminality'

- Jacob Chamberlain, staff writer
"I am not here to hide from justice; I am here to reveal criminality,” NSA leaker Edward Snowden told the the South China Morning Post Wednesday morning, referring to the ongoing speculation over his move to Hong Kong from Hawaii after leaking extensive documents from his former employer, the NSA.

A picture of Edward Snowden is displayed on the front page of a newspaper in Hong Kong on Wednesday. Photograph: Kin Cheung/AP
“People who think I made a mistake in picking Hong Kong as a location misunderstand my intentions. I am not here to hide from justice; I am here to reveal criminality,” Snowden stated.

However, as the Post revealed in a series of articles detailing their interview with Snowden, Snowden claims that the U.S. has been “trying to bully” Hong Kong’s government into extraditing him.

Snowden stated:

I heard today from a reliable source that the United States government is trying to bully the Hong Kong government into extraditing me before the local government can learn of this [the US National Security Agency hacking people in Hong Kong]. The US government will do anything to prevent me from getting this into the public eye, which is why they are pushing so hard for extradition.
No U.S., China, or Hong Kong officials have publicly stated their intentions.

Snowden said he will fight any extradition attempt by the US government, saying: “My intention is to ask the courts and people of Hong Kong to decide my fate. I have been given no reason to doubt [Hong Kong’s legal] system.’’

"I have had many opportunities to flee Hong Kong, but I would rather stay and fight the United States government in the courts, because I have faith in Hong Kong's rule of law," he said.

Snowden added: "I'm neither traitor nor hero. I'm an American."

“I have not spoken to any of my family,” Snowden told the Post, but, he added that he is "worried about the pressure they are feeling from the FBI," referring to reports that two FBI agents were seen at the home of Snowden’s father in Lehigh County, New Jersey, on Monday.

The Post published portions of its interview Wednesday morning, but said it would publish the entire interview "soon," promising "explosive details" on US surveillance targets, Snowden's next plans, and the steps Snowden claims the US has taken since landing in Hong Kong.

However it is unclear whether the Post has more to publish.

Whistle-blower Edward Snowden tells SCMP: 'Let Hong Kong people decide my fate'
Ex-CIA operative wants to remain in Hong Kong
Wednesday, 12 June, 2013, 11:50pm
Lana Lam

Edward Snowden has spoken exclusively to the South China Morning Post
Edward Snowden says he wants to ask the people of Hong Kong to decide his fate after choosing the city because of his faith in its rule of law.

The 29-year-old former CIA employee behind what might be the biggest intelligence leak in US history revealed his identity to the world in Hong Kong on Sunday. His decision to use a city under Chinese sovereignty as his haven has been widely questioned – including by some rights activists in Hong Kong.

Snowden said last night that he had no doubts about his choice of Hong Kong.

“People who think I made a mistake in picking Hong Kong as a location misunderstand my intentions. I am not here to hide from justice; I am here to reveal criminality,” Snowden said in an exclusive interview with the South China Morning Post.

“I have had many opportunities to flee HK, but I would rather stay and fight the United States government in the courts, because I have faith in Hong Kong’s rule of law,” he added.

Snowden says he has committed no crimes in Hong Kong and has “been given no reason to doubt [Hong Kong’s legal] system”.

“My intention is to ask the courts and people of Hong Kong to decide my fate,” he said.

I have had many opportunities to flee HK, but I would rather stay and fight the United States government in the courts, because I have faith in Hong Kong’s rule of law
Snowden, a former employee of US government contractor Booz Allen Hamilton who worked with the National Security Agency, boarded a flight to Hong Kong on May 20 and has remained in the city ever since.

His astonishing confession on Sunday sparked a media frenzy in Hong Kong, with journalists from around the world trying to track him down. It has also caused a flurry of debate in the city over whether he should stay and whether Beijing will seek to interfere in a likely extradition case.

The Hong Kong government has so far refused to comment on Snowden’s case. While many Hong Kong lawmakers, legal experts, activisits and members of the public have called on the city’s courts to protect Snowden’s rights, others such as Beijing loyalist lawmaker and former security chief Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee said he should leave.

Hong Kong Human Rights Monitor director Law Yuk-kai said he was surprised by Snowden’s choice, adding: “Snowden’s positive view of Hong Kong no longer matches the reality.”

Law said a possible reason for his choice could be Hong Kong’s role as the region’s news hub.

“Hong Kong remains a hub of the global media, not least because of its proximity to the economic boom in southern China and the ease of access to many other Asian cities. The publicity could complicate efforts by the United States to charge Snowden and have him deported,” he said.

Snowden said yesterday that he felt safe in the city.

“As long as I am assured a free and fair trial, and asked to appear, that seems reasonable,” he said.

He says he plans to stay in Hong Kong until he is “asked to leave”.

The United States has not yet filed an application for extradition.

Snowden could choose to fight any extradition attempt in court. Another option open to him is to seek refugee status from the office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees in Hong Kong.

The UNHCR would not confirm whether it had received an application for refugee status from Snowden.

Earlier, in the interview in which he revealed his identity to the world, Snowden explained that he had sought refuge in Hong Kong because it “has a strong tradition of free speech” and “a long tradition of protesting in the streets.”

Local activists plan to take to the streets on Saturday in support of Snowden. Groups including the Civil Human Rights Front and international human rights groups will march from Chater Gardens in Central to the US consulate on Garden Road, starting at 3pm.

The march is being organised by In-media, a website supporting freelance journalists.

“We call on Hong Kong to respect international legal standards and procedures relating to the protection of Snowden; we condemn the US government for violating our rights and privacy; and we call on the US not to prosecute Snowden,” the group said in a statement.

Additional reporting by Lai Ying-kit
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Is Ed Snowden Trying to Take Control of the Next Wave of NSA Leaks?

PHILIP BUMP 4,325 Views11:41 AM ET
After five straight days of revelations, a three-day gap in new NSA leaks from The Guardian and Glenn Greenwald seems like an eternity. The last major revelation from the paper was the identity of Edward Snowden himself, on Sunday. The reason for the delay isn't clear, but two other things are: There's more to come, and some of it — if not all — could come directly from Snowden, who re-emerged today. Greenwald, who is also set to re-emerge after a full day of travel, tells The Atlantic Wire that Snowden "might" have a contingency plan.

Greenwald has repeatedly indicated that there are more shoes still to drop. He told The New York Times that the former NSA contractor "turned over archives of 'thousands' of documents," including "dozens" worth reporting on. Shortly after Snowden went public, Greenwald suggested that some of those dozens of documents would some come to light.

As of Wednesday morning, The Guardian hasn't done so. The reason why may relate to how Snowden and the reporting outlets first began to interact.

What we know about how the leaks to The Guardian and the Washington Post occurred comes from a series of articles, including that one in the Times, one in Salon, and another in the Post itself. (The Guardian has a tick-tock of sorts as well.) While the details differ — Greenwald declared the Post story by Barton Gellman to be "false," for example — the basics are largely the same. Snowden reached out to Greenwald and Gellman some point earlier this year. Greenwald, deterred by the process of ensuring secure communications, delayed his interactions with Snowden. Gellman claims that Snowden went back to Greenwald after the Post balked on sharing a key document in its entirety.

Snowden asked for a guarantee that The Washington Post would publish — within 72 hours — the full text of a PowerPoint presentation describing PRISM, a top-secret surveillance program that gathered intelligence from Microsoft, Facebook, Google and other Silicon Valley giants. He also asked that The Post publish online a cryptographic key that he could use to prove to a foreign embassy that he was the document’s source.

I told him we would not make any guarantee about what we published or when.
In a later tweet, Gellman indicated one line the paper drew.

But the Gellman-Snowden exchange is an interesting interaction into which it's particularly easy to read a lot given the events of this morning. Snowden, who remains in Hong Kong, conducted an extensive interview today with the South China Morning Post. By going public, Snowden can now attract broad media attention himself, without the filter of the Post or The Guardian. It's not clear if Snowden still has the documents he gave to those outlets, but there's no reason to think that he doesn't.

In light of that, it's interesting to note a CBS report that the Washington Post may still be in talks with the government about the possibility of releasing more of the PRISM slides.

"So there’s a 41-slide deck," [CBS' John] Miller said. "The Washington Post has four—we’ve seen those in the paper. The Guardian has published some different slides and some the same. But there’s the wildcard of what’s in the rest of that presentation. The Washington Post has run that by the U.S. government and said, 'What in here could do damage? To be responsible, we still have to cover the story, but what would do damage that we would be asked to hold back?' And that conversation goes on, less so with The Guardian."
This is a vague assertion by Miller. But it suggests two things: that the government asked the outlets not to publish the full deck originally, and that the outlets are still seeking to do so. There is news value in the full deck, of course. But there may also still be negotiation value with Snowden, particularly if those thousands of documents he has remain solely in his possession.

In a longer version of the Morning Post interview, Snowden says:

“People who think I made a mistake in picking HK as a location misunderstand my intentions. I am not here to hide from justice; I am here to reveal criminality,” Snowden told the Post earlier today.
So far those revelations have been moderated by news outlets. It's not clear why they'd need to be from this point forward. If he wanted to post the full PRISM slide deck at this point, he could.

Snowden clearly feels some level of comfort. He plans to stay in Hong Kong until "he is asked to leave," he says, and feels enough personal security to grant interviews with local media. (It's not clear if today's interview was conducted in person or by telephone.) As a lawyer interviewed by the Morning Post notes, his public profile makes it harder for the United States to step in. On Sunday, for example, Hong Kong residents will hold a march in support of Snowden.

In a few hours, we may see another big revelation from The Guardian or even the Morning Post. (We're reaching out to Greenwald for comment.) Or it's possible that there isn't much left, that the "dozens" of newsworthy items aren't that newsworthy after all. It is also possible that Snowden's revelations can now exist without having to originate in the mainstream media. If the Post or The Guardian won't or can't release the files in the way Snowden wants, he has all of the platform he needs to do it himself.

Update, 2:34 p.m. Eastern: Greenwald, touching down, writes in an email to The Atlantic Wire:

Snowden was clear from the start that he didn't want indiscriminate document dumping, but only disclosures that passed a careful and judicious journalistic test weighing public interest versus harm. I have no idea if he has a contingency plan to protect himself — he might — but everything I've heard from him has been opposed to gratuitous disclosures.
As for the Guardian, I've been flying the last 24 hours so am not updated on what they may have done in that regard.
Photo: Snowden appears on a television screen in Hong Kong. (AP)

Why you should worry about the NSA
The just-revealed surveillance stretches the law to its breaking point and opens the door to future potential abuses

BY RICHARD A. CLARKE / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 12, 2013, 4:15 AM

How troubled should Americans be by the NSA’s spying?

None of us want another terrorist attack in the United States. Equally, most of us have nothing to hide from the federal government, which already has so many ways of knowing about us. And we know that the just-revealed National Security Agency program does not actually listen to our calls; it uses the phone numbers, frequency, length and times of the calls for data-mining.

So, why is it that many Americans, including me, are so upset with the Obama administration gathering up telephone records?

My concerns are twofold. First, the law under which President George W. Bush and now President Obama have acted was not intended to give the government records of all telephone calls. If that had been the intent, the law would have said that. It didn’t. Rather, the law envisioned the administration coming to a special court on a case-by-case basis to explain why it needed to have specific records.

I am troubled by the precedent of stretching a law on domestic surveillance almost to the breaking point. On issues so fundamental to our civil liberties, elected leaders should not be so needlessly secretive.

The argument that this sweeping search must be kept secret from the terrorists is laughable. Terrorists already assume this sort of thing is being done. Only law-abiding American citizens were blissfully ignorant of what their government was doing.

Secondly, we should worry about this program because government agencies, particularly the Federal Bureau of Investigation, have a well-established track record of overreaching, exceeding their authority and abusing the law. The FBI has used provisions of the Patriot Act, intended to combat terrorism, for purposes that greatly exceed congressional intent.

Even if you trust Obama, should we have programs and interpretations of law that others could abuse now without his knowing it or later in another administration? Obama thought we needed to set up rules about drones because of what the next President might do. Why does he not see the threat from this telephone program?

The answer is that he inherited this vacuum cleaner approach to telephone records from Bush. When Obama was briefed on it, there was no forceful and persuasive advocate for changing it. His chief adviser on these things at the time was John Brennan, a life-long CIA officer. Obama must have been told that the government needed everyone’s phone logs in the NSA’s computers for several reasons.

The bureaucrats surely argued that it was easier to run the big data search and correlation program on one database. They said there was no law that could compel the telephone companies to store the records on their own servers.

If the telephone companies did so, government and company lawyers then certainly said, they would become legally “an agent” of the government and could be sued by customers for violating the terms of their service agreements.

Finally, Obama was certainly told, if the NSA and the FBI had to query telephone company servers, then the phone companies would know whom the government was watching, a violation of need-to-know secrecy traditions.

Snowden saw what I saw: surveillance criminally subverting the constitution
So we refused to be part of the NSA's dark blanket. That is why whistleblowers pay the price for being the backstop of democracy

Thomas Drake
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 12 June 2013 07.00 EDT

What Edward Snowden has done is an amazingly brave and courageous act of civil disobedience.

Like me, he became discomforted by what he was exposed to and what he saw: the industrial-scale systematic surveillance that is scooping up vast amounts of information not only around the world but in the United States, in direct violation of the fourth amendment of the US constitution.

The NSA programs that Snowden has revealed are nothing new: they date back to the days and weeks after 9/11. I had direct exposure to similar programs, such as Stellar Wind, in 2001. In the first week of October, I had an extraordinary conversation with NSA's lead attorney. When I pressed hard about the unconstitutionality of Stellar Wind, he said:

"The White House has approved the program; it's all legal. NSA is the executive agent."

It was made clear to me that the original intent of government was to gain access to all the information it could without regard for constitutional safeguards. "You don't understand," I was told. "We just need the data."

In the first week of October 2001, President Bush had signed an extraordinary order authorizing blanket dragnet electronic surveillance: Stellar Wind was a highly secret program that, without warrant or any approval from the Fisa court, gave the NSA access to all phone records from the major telephone companies, including US-to-US calls. It correlates precisely with the Verizon order revealed by Snowden; and based on what we know, you have to assume that there are standing orders for the other major telephone companies.

It is technically true that the order applies only to meta-data. The problem is that in the digital space, metadata becomes the index for content. And content is gold for determining intent.

This executive fiat of 2001 violated not just the fourth amendment, but also Fisa rules at the time, which made it a felony – carrying a penalty of $10,000 and five years in prison for each and every instance. The supposed oversight, combined with enabling legislation – the Fisa court, the congressional committees – is all a kabuki dance, predicated on the national security claim that we need to find a threat. The reality is, they just want it all, period.

So I was there at the very nascent stages, when the government – wilfully and in deepest secrecy – subverted the constitution. All you need to know about so-called oversight is that the NSA was already in violation of the Patriot Act by the time it was signed into law.

When I was in the US air force, flying an RC-135 in the latter years of the cold war, I was a German-Russian crypto-linguist. We called ourselves the "vacuum-cleaner of the sky" because our capability to gather information was enormous at the time. But it was always outward-facing; we could not collect on US targets because that was against the law. To the US government today, however, we are all foreigners.

I became an expert on East Germany, which was then the ultimate surveillance state. Their secret police were monstrously efficient: they had a huge paper-based system that held information on virtually everyone in the country – a population of about 16-17 million. The Stasi's motto was "to know everything".

So none of this is new to me. The difference between what the Bush administration was doing in 2001, right after 9/11, and what the Obama administration is doing today is that the system is now under the cover and color of law. Yet, what Snowden has revealed is still the tip of the iceberg.

General Michael Hayden, who was head of the NSA when I worked there, and then director of the CIA, said, "We need to own the net." And that is what they're implementing here. They have this extraordinary system: in effect, a 24/7 panopticon on a vast scale that it is gazing at you with an all-seeing eye.

I lived with that dirty knowledge for years. Before 9/11, the prime directive at the NSA was that you don't spy on Americans without a warrant; to do so was against the law – and, in particular, was a criminal violation of Fisa. My concern was that we were more than an accessory; this was a crime and we were subverting the constitution.

I differed as a whistleblower to Snowden only in this respect: in accordance with the Intelligence Community Whistleblower Protection Act, I took my concerns up within the chain of command, to the very highest levels at the NSA, and then to Congress and the Department of Defense. I understand why Snowden has taken his course of action, because he's been following this for years: he's seen what's happened to other whistleblowers like me.

By following protocol, you get flagged – just for raising issues. You're identified as someone they don't like, someone not to be trusted. I was exposed early on because I was a material witness for two 9/11 congressional investigations. In closed testimony, I told them everything I knew – about Stellar Wind, billions of dollars in fraud, waste and abuse, and the critical intelligence, which the NSA had but did not disclose to other agencies, preventing vital action against known threats. If that intelligence had been shared, it may very well have prevented 9/11.

But as I found out later, none of the material evidence I disclosed went into the official record. It became a state secret even to give information of this kind to the 9/11 investigation.

I reached a point in early 2006 when I decided I would contact a reporter. I had the same level of security clearance as Snowden. If you look at the indictment from 2010, you can see that I was accused of causing "exceptionally grave damage to US national security". Despite allegations that I had tippy-top-secret documents, In fact, I had no classified information in my possession, and I disclosed none to the Baltimore Sun journalist during 2006 and 2007. But I got hammered: in November 2007, I was raided by a dozen armed FBI agents, when I was served with a search warrant. The nightmare had only just begun, including extensive physical and electronic surveillance.

In April 2008, in a secret meeting with the FBI, the chief prosecutor from the Department of Justice assigned to lead the prosecution said, "How would you like to spend the rest of your life in jail, Mr Drake?" – unless I co-operated with their multi-year, multimillion-dollar criminal leak investigation, launched in 2005 after the explosive New York Times article revealing for the first time the warrantless wiretapping operation. Two years later, they finally charged me with a ten felony count indictment, including five counts under the Espionage Act. I faced upwards of 35 years in prison.

In July 2011, after the government's case had collapsed under the weight of truth, I plead to a minor misdemeanor for "exceeding authorized use of a computer" under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act – in exchange for the DOJ dropping all ten felony counts. I received as a sentence one year's probation and 240 hours of community service: I interviewed almost 50 veterans for the Library of Congress veterans history project. This was a rare, almost unprecedented, case of a government prosecution of a whistleblower ending in total defeat and failure.

So, the stakes for whistleblowers are incredibly high. The government has got its knives out: there's a massive manhunt for Snowden. They will use all their resources to hunt him down and every detail of his life will be turned inside out. They'll do everything they can to "bring him to justice" – already there are calls for the "traitor" to be "put away for life".

He can expect the worst; he knows that. He went preemptively overseas because that at least delays the prying hand of the US government. But he could be extracted by rendition, as he has said. Certainly, my life was shredded. Once they have determined that you are a "person of interest" and an "enemy of the state", they want to destroy you, period.

I am now reliving the last 12 years from what's been disclosed in the past week. I feel a kinship with Snowden: he is essentially the equivalent of me. He saw the surveillance state from within and saw how far it's gone. The government has a pathological incentive to collect more and more and more; they just can't help themselves – they have an insatiable hoarding complex.

Since the government unchained itself from the constitution after 9/11, it has been eating our democracy alive from the inside out. There's no room in a democracy for this kind of secrecy: it's anathema to our form of a constitutional republic, which was born out of the struggle to free ourselves from the abuse of such powers, which led to the American revolution.

That is what's at stake here: to an NSA with these unwarranted powers, we're all potentially guilty; we're all potential suspects until we prove otherwise. That is what happens when the government has all the data.

The NSA is wiring the world; they want to own internet. I didn't want to be part of the dark blanket that covers the world, and Edward Snowden didn't either.

We are seeing an unprecedented campaign against whistleblowers and truth-tellers: it's now criminal to expose the crimes of the state. Under this relentless assault by the Obama administration, I am the only person who has held them off and preserved his freedom. All the other whistleblowers I know have served time in jail, are facing jail or are already incarcerated or in prison.

That has been my burden. I've dedicated the rest of my life to defending life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. I didn't want surveillance to take away my soul, and I don't want anyone else to have to live it.

For that, I paid a very high price. And Edward Snowden will, too. But I have my freedom, and what is the price for freedom? What future do we want to keep?
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby happenstance » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Breaking News

CIA DEPUTY DIRECTOR MICHAEL MORELL RESIGNS
happenstance

Postby slimmouse » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:29 pm

"Let the people of Hong Kong decide my fate"

That sentence has got to be one of the wisest, multi-faceted slaps in the face that I can ever remember, to the variety of authoritarian, increasingly indistinguishable dictatorships around the world, that seem to have most of us covered.

He gets my vote for that comment alone, whether he truly intended it or not. I find it very hard to imagine it wasnt extremely intentional.
Last edited by slimmouse on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:33 pm

The NSA is wiring the world; they want to own internet. I didn't want to be part of the dark blanket that covers the world, and Edward Snowden didn't either.

We are seeing an unprecedented campaign against whistleblowers and truth-tellers: it's now criminal to expose the crimes of the state. Under this relentless assault by the Obama administration, I am the only person who has held them off and preserved his freedom. All the other whistleblowers I know have served time in jail, are facing jail or are already incarcerated or in prison.

That has been my burden. I've dedicated the rest of my life to defending life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

I didn't want surveillance to take away my soul, and I don't want anyone else to have to live it.

For that, I paid a very high price. And Edward Snowden will, too. But I have my freedom, and what is the price for freedom? What future do we want to keep?

ooops there it is

Every place I go I feel your lenses trained on me
This distant concentration takes away my energy
Your image burns it's negative
Behind my waking eyes
Then the night comes and you stalk your prize
And you captured me

find the cost of freedom...lay your body down
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Snowden ‘thinks long and hard before coming to a decision,’ friend says
Sarah Muller, @digimuller
6:44 PM on 06/12/2013

This photo provided by The Guardian Newspaper in London shows Edward Snowden, who worked as a contract employee at the National Security Agency, on Sunday, June 9, 2013, in Hong Kong. (Photo by The Guardian/AP)
Friends just call him “Ed.” The rest of the world knows him as Edward Snowden, the self-identified leaker of classified documents belonging to the National Security Agency on two top-secret surveillance programs.
Mavanee Anderson, a personal friend of Snowden, is shedding more light on the man behind the NSA leaks. She wrote an op-ed coming to his defense in Wednesday’s Chattanooga Times Free Press.
“Ed is an incredibly smart, kind and sincere person,” Anderson wrote. “He talked a great deal about the fact that he didn’t complete high school… but he is an IT whiz—I’ve always taken it for granted that he’s an IT genius, really—who came by most of his skill and knowledge on his own.”
The two first met in Geneva, Switzerland. Anderson, a Vanderbilt Law School graduate now living in Washington, said they were in close contact between the summer 2007 and early 2009.
She described him as “introspective,” “a bit prone to brood” and “the type of person who thinks long and hard before coming to a decision.” She also noted his love of martial arts. Anderson chose to stay quiet on a few topics; she said she preferred not to share all of his skills and talents because he’s on the run in Hong Kong.
While expressing her support and admiration of Snowden, Anderson wished she could give have advised him to use a “more a measured approach involving lawsuits or activism.”
“As far as his method goes, I would have counseled him to fight his fight in a different way,” she said. “As a friend, I admire his courage—this strength of purpose is a very real aspect to his character—but I fear for him. Quite selfishly, I would have told Ed that he didn’t have to take this burden on himself. I’d prefer him to be safe at home, brooding away.”
A new Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Wednesday indicated 31% of Americans believe Snowden is a “patriot” and should not be prosecuted over his actions; 23% of those surveyed called him a traitor. About 46% weren’t sure.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby hava007 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:36 am

deleted
hava007

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:26 pm

'We're in the Abyss': My KPFK 'BradCast' Intvw with Daniel Ellsberg on Edward Snowden
EXCLUSIVE: Legendary 'Pentagon Papers' whistleblower offers frank comment on the NSA whistleblower; the dangers of our privatized surveillance state; the failure of Congressional oversight; and journalists 'discrediting their professions'...
By BRAD FRIEDMAN on 6/13/2013, 11:34am PT
In his column over the weekend, lauding the "conscience and patriotism" of NSA contractor-turned-whistleblower Edward Snowden, legendary "Pentagon Papers" whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg cited a 1975 warning about the NSA from Sen. Frank Church (D-ID), chairman of the U.S. Senate Select Committee tasked with investigating unlawful intelligence gathering by the NSA, CIA and FBI following the Watergate scandal.

"I know the capacity that is there to make tyranny total in America," Church said, "and we must see to it that this agency and all agencies that possess this technology operate within the law and under proper supervision, so that we never cross over that abyss. That is the abyss from which there is no return."

On Wednesday, during a fascinating interview on The BradCast on KPFK/Pacifica Radio, Ellsberg said directly, in the wake of Snowden's disclosures: "We're in the abyss. What he feared has come to pass."

The Guardian has asserted that former NSA contractor Edward Snowden "will go down in history as one of America's most consequential whistleblowers alongside Daniel Ellsberg and Bradley Manning," do it seemed the perfect time to chat with Ellsberg about all of this.

He offered a number of thoughts about Snowden himself, from one of the few people in the world who may have real insight into what the 29-year old leaker must be thinking and dealing with right about now, and why he may have chosen to both leave the country and then come out publicly. He describes Snowden as "a patriotic American, and to call him a traitor reveals a real misunderstanding of our founding documents."

"What he has revealed, of course, is documentary evidence of a broadly, blatantly unconstitutional program here which negates the Fourth Amendment," Ellsberg said. "And if it continues in this way, I think it makes democracy essentially impossible or meaningless."

As usual, Ellsberg pulled no punches in his comments on the dangers of our privatized surveillance state; the failure of our Congressional intelligence oversight committees (which he describes as "fraudulent" and "totally broken"); and on those who have been critical of Snowden and of Glenn Greenwald, the journalist from The Guardian who has broken most of the scoops on Snowden's leaked documents.

He said that folks like attorney Jeffrey Toobin at the New Yorker and author Thomas Friedman at New York Times and Senator Dianne Feinstein "are being very strongly discredited," by their attacks on Snowden. "The criticisms they're making, I think, are very discreditable to them in their profession," he says.

And, while answering to my request for a response to Josh Marshall's recent piece at TPM, in which Marshall weights his own conscience on this matter and frankly revealing his natural tendency to support the government over whistleblowers in cases like this, Ellsberg was particularly pointed. "Marshall has a lot to be said for him as a blogger," he said, before adding: "I think what he said there is stupid and mistaken and does not do him credit." He went on to describe some of Marshall's comments as "slander" against Snowden.

One other point that merits highlight here for now, before I let ya listen below. The difference between Ellsberg's circumstances and those in play today.

Ellsberg noted that after leaking top secret Defense Department documents to the New York Times in 1971, detailing how the Johnson Administration had lied the nation into the Vietnam War, President Nixon, at the time, ordered a break-in of his psychiatrist's office and discussed having Ellsberg "eliminated".

"All the things that were done to me then," he noted chillingly, "including a CIA profile on me, a burglary of my former psychiatrist's office in order to get information to blackmail me with, all of those things were illegal, as one might think that they ought to be."

"They're legal now, since 9/11, with the PATRIOT Act, which on that very basis alone should be repealed. In other words, this is a case right now with Snowden that shows very dramatically the dangers of that PATRIOT Act, used as it is. So the fact is, that all these things are legal. And even the one of possibly eliminating him"...

"We're In the abyss," indeed...
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby wetland » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 pm

https://www.adbusters.org/occupyblackbox.html

#OCCUPYBLACKBOX
Edward Snowden inspires a new generation of whistleblowers to turn the light on.

Adbusters 13 June 2013

Here's the question everyone is asking:

“Is Edward Snowden a hero or a criminal, a whistleblower or a traitor?”

But here’s the question they really should be asking:

“Does America still have its original revolutionary backbone, or are we a nation of sheep?”

Conventional opinion says that the CIA will have Snowden extradited and then criminalized, put on trial like Bradley Manning, demonized like Daniel Ellsberg, or even murdered like Garry Webb – that he will spend at least ten years in prison, or life, or worse. This may well happen, but there is another, much more tantalizing possibility that Snowden's courageous action has triggered, something much more momentous – a sudden unexpected shift in the American Psyche – a realization that since 9/11 something has gone terribly wrong in the land of the free and the home of the brave … that the NSA, CIA, FBI are starting to smell like the East German's Stasi, The Russian KGB, The Fascist police states of the 1930’s and 1940’s – that Americans are spying on Americans … that we are being treated like a nation of petrified snitches cowering in the dark … and that the time has come to turn the light on in a darkened America.

Maybe this weekend someone working at NSA headquarters will get fed up, once and for all, with spying on his fellow citizens and turn another light on in that big, black box ... telling us in detail how things really work in there.

And then, maybe the week after, a CIA operative at the Pentagon will suddenly decide to come clean and tell us how the Iraq war really started and provide us with one of those torture videos that were supposedly destroyed.

And then, maybe an army intelligence officer will fill us in on what really happened in Afghanistan, in Pakistan, in Yemen – telling us who our allies really are and what regimes we really support in the deep global state behind the veneer of mainstream media. Then …

Maybe on July 4th someone at The Whitehouse will remember that this nation was built upon revolution … and that the nation's integrity, democracy – hell, the nation's entire future depends upon the existence of people like Snowden who dare to tell us what really goes on behind closed doors, that these otherwise ordinary people continue to summon the courage and humanity to come out of the shadows and take a stand against institutionalized criminality.

Maybe, like at the end of a movie, when the hero finally reveals his true identity and everyone rises to applause, an unstoppable wave of courageous souls will now stand up in solidarity and turn the lights on all over this darkened nation, kicking off a chain reaction of refusal against the military-surveillance complex that President Eisenhower tried to warn us against half a century ago.

So hey all you dreamers, schemers and expectant souls out there, are you ready to turn on the light?

#OCCUPYBLACKBOX
wetland

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion