Journalist Michael Hastings is dead at 33

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Journalist Michael Hastings is dead at 33

Postby elfismiles » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:03 pm

More MSM news coverage of Hastings and remote car hacking / hijacking...

Car Hacking: Your Computer-Controlled Vehicle Could Be Manipulated Remotely (Video)
November 20, 2013 11:41 PM

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The growing prominence of cars controlled by dozens of computers — and the ability to manipulate some with the touch of a smartphone — is leading researchers to question their vulnerability.

The circumstances surrounding the June death of investigative journalist Michael Hastings in Hollywood prompted former U.S. Coordinator for Security and Counter-Terrorism Richard Clarke to suggest that “what evidence is available publicly is consistent with a car cyber-attack.”

Despite the crash being classified as an accident by the Los Angeles Police Department, the Department of Defense has acknowledged the Pentagon has explored remotely controlling cars by computer hacking.

And a counter-terrorism expert now tells CBS2 News we may never know what really happened in the fiery single-car crash in that killed Hastings.

Chris Calisek hacks computers for a living to expose security issues.

“You could remotely wreck someone or remotely stop the car,” he told CBS2′s Serene Branson.

Liam O’Murchu is a computer expert at Symantec Security Software in Culver City.

He’s followed research at schools like Rutgers, where they’re looking at the dangers of motor car manipulation, especially from a mobile device hacking into a car app.

“They do this by getting onto the on-board computer, the on-board diagnostics systems, and they’re able to reprogram it to do pretty much whatever they want,” O’Murchu explained.

“When you add more technology you are opening the attack surface and that’s what attackers are looking for,” he said.

Now experts are urging car makers to step on it to stay ahead of car hackers.

Branson reports the U.S. Department of Transportation is working with car manufacturers like GM and others to improve security measures.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/11/ ... -hastings/
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Nordic » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:00 am

elfismiles » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:03 pm wrote:
Branson reports the U.S. Department of Transportation is working with car manufacturers like GM and others to improve security measures.

[/quote]

Why not just stop making cars with fucking COMPUTERS in them? WHY does a car have to have a computer?

They don't.

Somebody needs to make cars without them. I would buy one (if I had money, which I never do)
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby elfismiles » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 am

Because the agenda at work is the implementation of the tracking and taxation grid.

They want to make it mandatory for all cars to have black boxes to track and tax our asses.

EDIT: here is another new angle on the computerization of private transportation...

California To Start Electronic License Plate Pilot Program
Thursday, October 24, 2013
http://thenewspaper.com/news/42/4242.asp

Nordic » 26 Nov 2013 06:00 wrote:
elfismiles » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:03 pm wrote:

Why not just stop making cars with fucking COMPUTERS in them? WHY does a car have to have a computer?

They don't.

Somebody needs to make cars without them. I would buy one (if I had money, which I never do)
elfismiles

Postby coffin_dodger » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:48 am

RF Safe-Stop shuts down car engines with radio pulse
BBC News Dec 3rd 2102

A British company has demonstrated a prototype device capable of stopping cars and other vehicles using a blast of electromagnetic waves.

The RF Safe-Stop uses radio frequency pulses to "confuse" a vehicle's electronic systems, cutting its engine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25197786

Ever tried to control a speeding vehicle when the engine dies? No power-assisted steering and no servo-assisted brakes.

<edited for two typos in a single sentence!>
Last edited by coffin_dodger on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby vince » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:56 am

[quote="[url=http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?p=527772#p527772]

They don't.

Somebody needs to make cars without them. I would buy one (if I had money, which I never do)[/quote]

Our local Mazda service guy told us they're cars 'on-board' computers are 'optional'.... not standard.
But,...yeah, when's the next time I'm gonna have money to buy another car, right?
vince

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:59 am

Well…the entire notion of "cars" was sort of a mistake from the start and needs to be rethought.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Hammer of Los » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:18 am

Luther! That's sacrilege against Our Ford!

Hammer of Los

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby vince » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Hammer of Los » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:18 am wrote:...

Luther! That's sacrilege against Our Ford!

Well, also to Gary Numan. :wink
vince

Postby coffin_dodger » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:04 pm

EU has secret plan for police to 'remote stop' cars
The EU is developing a secret plan to give the police the power to control cars by switching the engine off remotely
The Telegraph 29 Jan 2014

The European Union is secretly developing a "remote stopping" device to be fitted to all cars that would allow the police to disable vehicles at the flick of a switch from a control room.

Confidential documents from a committee of senior EU police officers, who hold their meetings in secret, have set out a plan entitled "remote stopping vehicles" as part of wider law enforcement surveillance and tracking measures.

"The project will work on a technological solution that can be a 'build in standard' for all cars that enter the European market," said a restricted document.

cont - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -cars.html

'Turning off' a car at high speed is extremely hazardous.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Nordic » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:03 am

coffin_dodger » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:04 am wrote:
EU has secret plan for police to 'remote stop' cars
The EU is developing a secret plan to give the police the power to control cars by switching the engine off remotely
The Telegraph 29 Jan 2014

The European Union is secretly developing a "remote stopping" device to be fitted to all cars that would allow the police to disable vehicles at the flick of a switch from a control room.

Confidential documents from a committee of senior EU police officers, who hold their meetings in secret, have set out a plan entitled "remote stopping vehicles" as part of wider law enforcement surveillance and tracking measures.

"The project will work on a technological solution that can be a 'build in standard' for all cars that enter the European market," said a restricted document.

cont - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -cars.html

'Turning off' a car at high speed is extremely hazardous.

It's fine - it will only be used against dangerous criminals.
Nordic

Postby Nordic » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:45 pm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenbe ... monstrate/

http://www.cryptogon.com/?p=42945

This iPhone-Sized Device Can Hack A Car

February 6th, 2014

Via: Forbes:

Auto makers have long downplayed the threat of hacker attacks on their cars and trucks, arguing that their vehicles’ increasingly-networked systems are protected from rogue wireless intrusion. Now two researchers plan to show that a few minutes alone with a car and a tiny, cheap device can give digital saboteurs all the wireless control they need.

At the Black Hat Asia security conference in Singapore next month, Spanish security researchers Javier Vazquez-Vidal and Alberto Garcia Illera plan to present a small gadget they built for less than $20 that can be physically connected to a car’s internal network to inject malicious commands affecting everything from its windows and headlights to its steering and brakes. Their tool, which is about three-quarters the size of an iPhone, attaches via four wires to the Controller Area Network or CAN bus of a vehicle, drawing power from the car’s electrical system and waiting to relay wireless commands sent remotely from an attacker’s computer. They call their creation the CAN Hacking Tool, or CHT.

“It can take five minutes or less to hook it up and then walk away,” says Vazquez Vidal, who works as a automobile IT security consultant in Germany. “We could wait one minute or one year, and then trigger it to do whatever we have programmed it to do.”

Nothing to see here; move along, only conspiratards would believe that Chrystal's henchmen or other spooks would have had access to a device like this.
Nordic

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:46 am

Why Was the FBI Investigating Michael Hastings’ Reporting on Bowe Bergdahl?

By Alice Speri

June 3, 2014 | 3:40 pm
Three years into the disappearance of Bowe Bergdahl in Afghanistan, Michael Hastings — the journalist whose reporting cost General Stanley McChrystal his job — wrote a Rolling Stone story on the missing soldier, a piece which the magazine called “the definitive first account of Bowe Bergdahl.”

Hastings, who died in a car accident in Los Angeles in June 2013, had unparalleled access for that story.

Last POW in Afghanistan has been freed. Read more here.

He spoke to Bergdahl’s parents, who had by that time stopped talking to the press, following “subtle pressure” from the army, and he quoted from emails the young soldier had sent to them, documenting his growing disillusion with the war and the US military.

Hastings also spoke to several unnamed men in Bergdahl’s unit — soldiers who, we now know, had to sign a strict nondisclosure agreement forbidding them from discussing the soldier’s disappearance and search with anyone — let alone one of the top investigative journalists in the country.

'Michael and Matt both worked really, really hard on that story, and I know for a fact that they did it in a way that completely angered the US military and the US government.'
But most controversially, Hastings’ piece revealed what has been the subject of much debate and vitriol over the last few days: That a disillusioned Bergdahl had actually abandoned his post and “walked away.”

At the time of the story’s publication, the media had all but forgotten about Bergdahl — who was released on Saturday after five years in the hands of the Taliban, in exchange for five Guantanamo prisoners. And, with the exception of some initial chatter, Hastings’ piece, which paints a deeply unflattering picture of Bergdahl’s unit and its leadership, hardly had the impact of some of his other investigations.

But someone did pay attention to it: the FBI.

That, at least, is what was revealed in a heavily redacted document released by the agency following a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request — filed on the day of Hastings’ death — by investigative journalist Jason Leopold and Ryan Shapiro, an MIT doctoral student whom the Justice Department once called the “most prolific” requester of FOIA documents.

‘Superhero’ suing feds over Nelson Mandela’s 1962 arrest records. Read more here.

The document, partially un-redacted after Leopold and Shapiro engaged in a lengthy legal battle with the FBI for failing to fulfill its FOIA obligations, singles out Hastings’ Rolling Stone piece — “America’s Last Prisoner of War” — as “controversial reporting.” It names Hastings and Matthew Farwell, a former soldier in Afghanistan and a contributing reporter to Hastings’ piece.

'If this deployment is lame, I’m just going to walk off into the mountains of Pakistan.'
The document also included an Associated Press report based on the Rolling Stone piece, and what it identifies as a “blog entry” penned by Gary Farwell, Matthew’s father — which actually appears to be a comment entry on the Idaho Statesman’s website.

“The article reveals private email excerpts, from [redacted] to his parents. The excerpts include quotes about being ‘ashamed to even be American,’ and threats that, ‘If this deployment is lame, I’m just going to walk off into the mountains of Pakistan,’” the FBI file reads. “The Rolling Stone article ignited a media frenzy, speculating about the circumstances of [redacted] capture, and whether US resources and effort should continue to be expended for his recovery.”

'I’m happy the FBI is reading Rolling Stone on the job.'
The FBI file — as well as a Department of Justice document released in response to Leopold and Shapiro’s lawsuit — suggests that Hastings and Farwell’s reporting got swept up into an “international terrorist investigation” into Bergdahl’s disappearance.

A spokesperson for the FBI told VICE News that the agency does not normally comment on pending investigations and that it lets FOIA documents “speak for themselves.” The investigation was still pending as of last month, Leopold said.

According to the files — and a rare public statement by the FBI following Hastings’ death — Hastings was never directly under investigation by the agency, despite having pissed off a lot of people in very high places.

White House defends prisoner swap to free American POW. Read more here.

But it is not exactly clear why Hastings and Farwell’s “controversial” reporting made it into a criminal investigation that was already active before they even wrote the Rolling Stone story.

'The FBI says Hastings was not a target of their investigation but his reporting was. How do you investigate someone's reporting without investigating them?'
“Michael and Matt both worked really, really hard on that story, and I know for a fact that they did it in a way that completely angered the US military and the US government, and while other reporters were steering away from it, they were totally on it,” Leopold told VICE News. “The FBI was investigating this, whether they were investigating Michael or investigating the story, and there was a lot of fear around it, because they characterized the story as ‘controversial’ — whatever that means.”

“Then the question became, why was the FBI looking at this, what were they looking at?” Leopold added. “The FBI says Hastings was not a target of their investigation but his reporting was. How do you investigate someone's reporting without investigating them?"

Farwell declined to discuss the details of the file, but told VICE News, “I’m happy the FBI is reading Rolling Stone on the job.”

He had not known that his name, and his father's, showed up in the FBI's files until Leopold pointed it out to him. Leopold told VICE News: "When I showed Matt these files he was like, oh my god, this is basically outlining my conversations."

Farwell said: “When it first came out it was just Michael, and Jason was like, ‘Hey dude, this has your dad in it.’ And I was like, ‘Oh shit, they're talking about me in these redactions, that's weird.’ Anyway, I signed a privacy waiver and sent it out to Jason."

Entire paragraphs in the FBI documents remain redacted — leaving many questions about the scope of the investigation into the journalists’ work. But the un-redacted sections about Farwell characterize him as a 10th Mountain infantryman, who helped broker a meeting between Hastings and — presumably — some of the sources for the Rolling Stone story.

Now that Bergdahl is free, the lid on Pandora’s box has been lifted.
In his comment on the Idaho Statesman's site, also picked up in the FBI file, Farwell Senior comes to Bergdahl's defense after the Rolling Stone article sparked backlash against the soldier, of a similar sort that we are seeing today. He also credits his son for brokering Hastings’ meeting with the Bergdahls.

“I’m going to excuse that young kid for his choice of words, but I’m not going to excuse the leadership of his outfit, nor the misguided policies of our government in Afghanistan and elsewhere which have put our young people in harms way without a clear vision of what they are doing,” Farwell, himself a retired Air Force officer, wrote then. “It’s my hope this Rolling Stone article helps the Bergdahl’s get their son back and helps expose some misguided policies and conduct far above the pay grade of this young disillusioned soldier.”

Now that Bergdahl is free, the lid on Pandora’s box has been lifted.

'Even before Bergdahl’s release, “the dam was getting ready to burst.”'
“For five years, soldiers have been forced to stay silent about the disappearance and search for Bergdahl. Now we can talk about what really happened,” Nathan Bradley Bethea, who served in Bergdahl’s battalion, wrote in the Daily Beast on Monday. “I served in the same battalion in Afghanistan and participated in the attempts to retrieve him throughout the summer of 2009. After we redeployed, every member of my brigade combat team received an order that we were not allowed to discuss what happened to Bergdahl for fear of endangering him. He is safe, and now it is time to speak the truth.”

"Bergdahl was a deserter, and soldiers from his own unit died trying to track him down," Bethea stated.

Soldiers forced to silence for years have now taken their accounts — and anger — about the missing soldier’s ordeal to social media and the press. Republican strategists eager to turn Bergdahl into the next Benghazi have also jumped on the opportunity to offer critics of the young “deserter” up for interviews, as the New York Times noted today.

'As for the circumstances of his capture, when he is able to provide them, we’ll learn the facts.'
In the last few days, Bergdahl has been blamed with the deaths of “every American soldier killed in Paktika Province in the four-month period that followed his disappearance,” according to the Times — charges that the Pentagon dismissed as unsubstantiated. Today it was reported that the army will launch an inquiry into the circumstances of Bergdahl's disappearance and his personal conduct.

"The questions about this particular soldier’s conduct are separate from our effort to recover ANY U.S. service member in enemy captivity," General Martin E. Dempsey said in a Facebook post today. "As for the circumstances of his capture, when he is able to provide them, we’ll learn the facts. Like any American, he is innocent until proven guilty. Our Army’s leaders will not look away from misconduct if it occurred."

The Gitmo prisoner exchange puts deals above grim justice. Read more.

A US Army investigation into Bergdahl's own conduct might appease or inflame his critics. But even before Bergdahl’s release, “the dam was getting ready to burst,” Farwell said.

“That was one of the weirdest things about the case, that everyone in the whole brigade was required to sign a pretty strict nondisclosure agreement that was enforced at a pretty high level, so basically if any of the people from that unit talked about Bowe, they thought they could be losing their careers,” Farwell said. "It was a blanket statement, ‘you will not talk about anything about this.'”

And while there is no suggestion — in the un-redacted bits of the FBI file on Hastings — that the agency was after any soldier who had taken his frustrations to the press, the fact that the FBI was looking into the reporters’ sources and methods raises at least the question.

Now, everyone wants to talk about it. But Hastings’ ever “controversial” reporting got to it first.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:05 am

Michael Hastings' novel The Last Magazine to be published posthumously
Publisher announces book by award-winning journalist who died in June, based on his experience as a magazine intern

Amanda Holpuch in New York

theguardian.com, Friday 4 October 2013 10.05 EDT

A novel by the celebrated journalist Michael Hastings will be published posthumously, his publisher has announced.

The novel follows a young magazine intern named Michael M Hastings in the early 2000s, leading up to the Iraq war. It is set to be released in the summer of 2014.

"Michael Hastings was a fearless reporter and a masterful – and funny – writer," his publisher, Blue Rider Press, said in a statement Thursday. "We are honored to publish The Last Magazine."

The book is based on Hastings' life and echoes his early years as an unpaid intern at Newsweek. As a 25-year-old, he went to work as a war correspondent in Iraq for the magazine before moving on to write for Rolling Stone and Buzzfeed.

Hastings worked on the book intermittently during reporting assignments and while working on his nonfiction book The Operators, an extension of his Rolling Stone profile of US general Stanley McChrystal. The George Polk Award-winning profile resulted in the collapse of McChrystal's career as US military commander in Afghanistan and his staff shared candid opinions about president Barack Obama.

Heavily redacted FBI documents obtained by Al Jazeera in September show that Hastings' "controversial reporting" is referenced in the agency's files.

Hastings died in June, at the age of 33, after losing control of his car while driving at high speed in Los Angeles. His death prompted conspiracy theories and led to the FBI making a statement that it was not investigating him.

Hastings' wife, the writer Elise Jordan, was one of a few of his close family and friends who knew about the book. One of those people reminded her of the book after his death, and she was able to find a completed draft on the novel on his computer.

"I read The Last Magazine shortly after Michael's death and found solace in the rush of his trademark candor and insight," Jordan told the New York Times in an e-mail.

Blue Rider Press is an imprint of Penguin Group USA and published his previous two books, The Operators and the ebook Panic: 2012.

Publishing a Novel to Preserve a Legacy
Michael Hastings’s Widow Discusses ‘The Last Magazine’
By LESLIE KAUFMANJUNE 13, 2014

Elise Jordan curled her petite frame into the sofa in her sunny apartment in TriBeCa and kept her voice steady as she explained why she pushed to publish the unfinished novel of her husband, Michael Hastings, on the first anniversary of his death.

“I know he’d be so happy right now to be sparking controversy,” Ms. Jordan said.

Controversy was something of a specialty for Mr. Hastings, an investigative journalist who became known for poking sticks at authority figures and digging into issues related to the American wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. He gained national attention in 2010 for a Rolling Stone article that led to the resignation of Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the commander of United States forces in Afghanistan. He wrote another Rolling Stone article in 2012, long before Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl became an internationally known prisoner of war, that took a critical look at his Army platoon.

His new novel, “The Last Magazine,” to be published on Tuesday by Blue Rider Press, has a lighter touch than his reported pieces but can be every bit as cutting. A satire of Mr. Hastings’s experiences as an intern at Newsweek in 2002-3 as the Iraq war approached, the book skewers characters who seem to be thinly disguised portraits of his bosses there, while serving up a humorous but damning indictment of the mainstream news media’s role in the march to war.

Photo

Elise Jordan and Mr. Hastings in Vermont in 2010, before their marriage. Credit Chip Somodevilla
The couple had discussed the novel, Ms. Jordan said, but she had mostly forgotten about it as she grieved over his death at 33 in a fiery car crash in Los Angeles. Then some of Mr. Hastings’s former colleagues at Newsweek sent her the manuscript. She read it through on the first sitting. “I laughed when I read it,” she said. “I thought it was his best book.”

“I was totally shocked at the sex scenes,” she added with a laugh, “which I know he would have loved. He loved to shock me and pull me out of my comfort zones.”

In her apartment, Ms. Jordan, 32, displays only one photograph of her and Mr. Hastings together; it was taken at a distance, and they are not even holding hands. None of their wedding photos are on view, and her wedding ring is no longer on her finger. “It was beautiful, but every time you look down at your hand, you feel this big, gaping hole,” she said.

On its face, their relationship seemed unlikely. Mr. Hastings was a hungry young reporter who first went to Baghdad at the age of 25. His previous girlfriend, an aid worker, was killed there in 2007 when her convoy was attacked, and he was eventually given a diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder. He despised the war in Iraq, had abused drugs and had a highly obsessive personality.

Ms. Jordan, an easygoing daughter of Mississippi with soft blue eyes, is a Yale graduate who worked as a speechwriter for Condoleezza Rice, secretary of state in the George W. Bush administration and a leading public defender of the war.

Yet their shared sense that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were pivotal to their lives forged a bond between them. “We both just got each other’s worldview,” Ms. Jordan said.

Continue reading the main storyContinue reading the main storyContinue reading the main story
They began dating in 2010 in Kabul, when he was there for the McChrystal article, and she was on a freelance assignment for the magazine Marie Claire, she said. She still works as a freelance journalist but spends most of her time in her job doing animal rights advocacy for an institutional investor. They were engaged within six months and married in 2011.

Mr. Hastings was not certain he could make it in journalism when she first met him, she said, but then the McChrystal article became a sensation. He ended up turning it into a best-selling book, “The Operators.”

But success had its price. Mr. Hastings began behaving erratically and was prescribed medical marijuana for his post-traumatic stress disorder. “It is a big deal as a lone wolf reporter to take down any public figure, much less one at the level of McChrystal, and withstand the criticism,” said David Rosenthal, his longtime editor at Blue Rider Press. “He was under a lot of stress.”

Mr. Hastings spent his final months going back and forth between New York and Hollywood, where he sold the rights to “The Operators” to Brad Pitt’s production company. He also told people, somewhat cryptically, that he was working on an article about the National Security Agency.

Last June 17, he wrote a note to staff members at BuzzFeed, then his employer, saying that his friends were being interviewed by the F.B.I., that his editors should be careful and that he needed to “go off the radar for a bit.” At 4:20 a.m. on June 18, he was killed as his Mercedes crashed into a tree while traveling at very high speed in Los Angeles.

His death set off a tidal wave of speculation and, Ms. Jordan contends, misinformation. The coroner announced that he had marijuana and trace methamphetamines in his blood. The L.A. Weekly quoted a female neighbor who said the two had become friends before his death and that he had asked to borrow her car the night of the crash because he was frightened.

“My guess is that he went out for a pack of cigarettes,” Ms. Jordan says. “He chain-smoked when he wrote.”

As for the traces of methamphetamines, Ms. Jordan said she had the blood tested herself and there was nothing but the prescribed marijuana. The female neighbor? “Michael had a way of drawing people in — he was magnetic,” she said with a shrug.

It was partly in reaction to the speculation about his death that she sent the manuscript to Mr. Hastings’s agent and to Mr. Rosenthal, Ms. Jordan said. She said she saw it as a positive way to add to his legacy. The novel was in good shape, she said, and she had to make only small adjustments.

Ms. Jordan said she worried that publishing the book on the anniversary of Mr. Hastings’s death would force her to relive “the worst week that ever happened to me.” But she is comfortable with her decision.

“I psyched myself up so much for the bad emotions that are going to come with it that I haven’t allowed myself to be appropriately excited about the good emotions,” she said. “Now I have a platform to talk about my favorite topic, Michael.”
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby elfismiles » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Michael Hastings: A Real War Journalist In An Era of Controlled Press
Unlike many journalists, Hastings showed courage in reporting, which likely led to his death one year ago
by SSG Joe Biggs | Infowars.com | June 19, 2014

This is the first article in a multi-part series by Infowars reporter Joe Biggs on his experiences with the late journalist Michael Hastings, who was killed in a car explosion one year ago in Los Angeles, California after making numerous enemies for his unparalleled – and real – approach to journalism.

I met Michael Hastings back in 2008 while I was deployed in Afghanistan with the 82nd Airborne out of Fort Bragg.

We were in a little “District Center” that held about 30 soldiers and would patrol an area 10 times the size of Manhattan. We lived in a busted-up, beige color building, with an entrance to the roof which had a guard tower that was covered by tattered sandbags.

It smelled like death and looked like a place the “Garbage Pail Kids” would live. The hallway at the entrance of our little compound was draped in flak vests, Kevlar helmets and a little cubbie that holds all our combat gear needed for missions. We had a little kitchen and two rooms stacked to the max with bunk beds. It was in the Khowst Province on the eastern side of Afghanistan on the border of Pakistan.

We were on the half-way mark of our deployment when we got a call about a reporter and photographer who would do an embed with us for a short time from GQ Magazine. Little did I know that the reporter, Michael Hastings, would change my life forever.

At this point in our deployment, numerous journalists had stayed with us, but none like Michael. He came with the famous photographer Lucian Read who is now a documentary filmmaker and another person I would keep in touch with over the years as well. You might remember him from the Haditha Murders in Iraq, as he was with the Marines on that mission taking photos.

An explosion in the mountains of Khowst Province in Afghanistan.

Like most journalists who embed our initial feeling was, “Oh great, another ****ing reporter. How many time do we have to baby sit these hippie, civilian ***holes.”

But Mike was all about business right from the start. He asked our commander, Captain Zaruba, what our mission was and what kind of resistance we were encountering from the Taliban. Mike had shaggy, dark hair under his black Kevlar helmet, and he wore a black vest with PRESS written across the chest. He always had his head tilted to one side with a little smirk on his face.

After Mike and Capt. Zaruba spoke, I introduced myself to Michael and it seemed like an automatic click. We were a lot alike and he was someone you felt like you could trust because he held you to a higher standard of life which I liked a lot. He was someone who kept you honest and if you got out of line he would call you out on it, a good, but rare, trait nowadays.

Michael wasn’t like other journalists. He was fearless, intelligent and motivated beyond belief. I remember we were at place called Border Support Point 7, or BSP 7 for short, which was at the top of a big mountain that faced Pakistan. It had a long, narrow and winding road leading up to it that was riddled with holes from IED (Improvised Explosive Device) explosions over the years.

The road was just barely wide enough for our Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicles to traverse. Pebbles and slabs of earth would slide away from under the tires as we hugged the side of the hill on the way up. I hated it.

We got to the top and began digging in. One team was getting our defenses set up by filing sandbags and Hesco barriers while the others unloaded tow missiles, AT4s, 50 Cals, Mark 19s and 240 Bravos. Each soldier had an M4 on their back.

BSP7 was a spot where we got a lot of action at and that’s one reason why we wanted to bring Hastings along. We figured that there’s not much sense in them traveling all this way without some actual war footage. We got in our positions and waited on the Taliban to see and engage us. Mike would just sit back and watch as the men and I would BS and run our mouths.

061914afghanistan2

He would join in on the storytelling and we would all laugh. For a moment you would lose yourself and forget what hell you were in. It was nice having someone there who wasn’t a soldier to talk to, especially someone with an unbiased opinion on what was going on in the war.

I broke away from the laughter and took my very large American flag and attached it to the long green tent polls as high up as I could, as I always do. Everyone stopped and Mike looked over as the flag flew high and whipped about in the air. It was glorious. We took some Iwa Jima Style photos real quick and returned to business.

Mike sat right there beside me as I held my rifle high and let out a scream in hopes of antagonizing the enemy, but nothing happened and the hours drifted into night. Once it was dark we began shooting off flares and M203 Parachute rounds at the Taliban side of the mountain in hopes of getting them to shoot back. Once again our attempts failed and night turned back to dawn and a fog set in at the bottom of the valley.

The sun crept up from its bed and into the morning sky. We all looked at each other in disappointment and began to take down camp. I climbed into the back of the Hemmit (Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical) truck and soldiers began handing me ammunition and weapons.

Then BAM!, an airburst went off over my head. I dropped to the ground to check if I was still intact. Loud roars of machine gun fire went off. I jumped from the truck and ran to the wall to see where this was coming from, and right behind me was Mike with his little camera in hand.

I quickly got my bearings and began to head up the path to the northern side of the mountain where most of the Taliban fire was coming from. Mike was crouched down behind the Hesco barrier looking up at me through his camera while I shot 203 Grenades at the terrorist bastards who dare challenged me and my men.

061914firefight2

For five minutes all you could hear were bullets whizzing by, explosions from grenades and war cries up and down the hilltop from Afghan and American soldiers. The fire fight was brief and no one was hurt.

As I looked down Mike was looking up at me with an intensity in his eyes and a smile on his face. I knew this man wasn’t like the others. He was born for this kind of action like me.

The deployment came to an end in the next month and so did Michael and Lucian’s time with us. My unit actually left out of Afghanistan before Mike did. He went around to a few other places in Afghanistan for stories as we headed back to our families. I spoke to Mike once I got home and he said he was being re-routed to France due to the volcano that went off in Iceland. No one was able to fly back from Europe to the USA so he went on to another new story.

Mike released the article about his time with us, entitled “Obama’s War,” in the April 2009 issue of GQ. He also filmed an episode of Dan Rather Reports named The Commander.

Michael Hastings was an awesome guy who really cared about his work and Lucian Read is very kind and warm person who cares deeply about what he does and those around him.

http://www.infowars.com/michael-hasting ... led-press/
elfismiles

Postby Nordic » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:30 am

I recently visited family for my dad's 80th birthday.

My brother in law had some interesting stories to tell. He works, and has worked for 30 years, for one of the major semiconductor companies in the world. This is a company who recently lost several of its employees in a high profile passenger jetliner disappearance.

Without talking about Michael Hastings at all, he was telling us that they were being approached by all the major car manufacturers rather aggressively in a bid to acquire chips for the car's computers that COULD NOT BE HACKED.

That it was a major pressing concern for the car manufacturers.

I couldn't help but think this urgency is because of the Hastings murder, that they all knew damn well that he had been hacked and killed.

Obviously they know it's a problem.

The rather surprisingly good news is they actually want to stop it. Perhaps due to liability rather than not wanting to be in bed with Psychotic Big Brother.
Nordic

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion