Journalist Michael Hastings is dead at 33

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Journalist Michael Hastings is dead at 33

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:10 pm

Yeah, survival against the armed paramilitary trying to eradicate you.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Elvis » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:28 pm

Fifteen years or so ago I asked my electronics guy if he could make me a rear-mounted 'EMP' sort of device for my vehicle, that could temporarily knock out the electronics (and hence engine) of tailgating cars that get too dangerously close. He said it would be too big and too expensive (for me). That might have been his way of saying, 'Dumbass, you wanna cause an accident or something?' Either way, a few weeks later, the state patrol announced that they had them.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby cptmarginal » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:55 pm

Luther Blissett » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:33 pm wrote:These smug assholes. Wired, naturally.

I got a free subscription to their fine publication a while back and have now taken to just throwing it in the trash as soon as it comes in the mail. I can hardly bear to even flip through it - it's just such utter power-worshiping tripe :lol:

There was a time, up until recently, when Wired was a little bit better. Before the "financial crisis" eviscerated the publishing industry (taking out some of my favorite magazines in the process, such as Giant Robot for one)
The new way of thinking is precisely delineated by what it is not.
cptmarginal

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:00 pm

cptmarginal » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:55 pm wrote:
There was a time, up until recently, when Wired was a little bit better. Before the "financial crisis" eviscerated the publishing industry (taking out some of my favorite magazines in the process, such as Giant Robot for one)

!!!!!

A very astute point that helps me understand why I cancelled my subscription. Yes, sir.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby 82_28 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:34 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:00 pm wrote:
cptmarginal » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:55 pm wrote:

!!!!!

A very astute point that helps me understand why I cancelled my subscription. Yes, sir.

Yep! Me and the Booch have basically sworn off WIRED because of their nagware of "Do us a Solid and deactivate your adblocker". Boucher's point to me was that isn't WIRED a tech magazine? Aren't we using technology already by blocking your shit you want to "feed" us? I ain't deactivating shit on my boxes for Conde Nast. DO US A SOLID?!?! Jesus. Adios WIRED.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby justdrew » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:35 am

jeez, I ditched Wired ~2000, and it was always a psiop to run up the tech bubble.

There is NO valid source of information, we are truly flying blind folks.

remember, Chomsky's old theory that SOME news must be true so that useful-idiot mid-level managers could make appropriate decisions is long past. Such persons have their own special customized "news" nowadays and probably don't even know it.

as for them asking you to turn off ad-blocker, what do you really expect? It's their sole source of revenue, I white-list pysorg and so I see shit in the ad spots on that site, but if I didn't? and if most people used adblock? It would be gone in a fortnight. Fair enough for them to ask you to consider white-listing their ads I guess. My eyes still remember how to elide over ads without seeing them.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:26 am

Yeah I do think Hugh was right about Wired being CIA. Not just uncritical of imperialism, but celebratory. Not just preparing society to publicly digitize their private lives, but actively encouraging acceptance of Big Brother.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:10 am

Sooo many "hackers can now hack your car" articles this week, NOT ONE mentioning the mystery of Hastings crash. I think only like me and one other person has
been bringing up Hastings in various news comment sections. Kind of a shame.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:12 am

Most of these science/pop sci/wired/tech/gadget magazines have been super pro war for some time. Drones, DARPA weapons, hunter killer robots, latest gen of fighter jets, latest ways to blow up people. Thats like half the magazine covers of the last decade.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby zangtang » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:57 am

Well, yes, but its all done with such appropriate respectful reverence for your heroes in uniform who selflessly sacrifice & give service 'in harms way'..........
zangtang

Postby RocketMan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:17 am

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/to ... 201567045/

Topher Grace will star opposite Brad Pitt in Netflix’s upcoming satirical comedy “War Machine.”

Grace will portray a civilian media adviser to Pitt’s four-star U.S. military general, who’s trying to win the war in Afghanistan. “War Machine” is directed by David Michod (“Animal Kingdom”) and based on Michael Hastings’ book “The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America’s War in Afghanistan.”
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Hunter » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:13 pm

A comedy, interesting.
Hunter

Postby coffin_dodger » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:24 pm

^ M*A*S*H rehash
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby stickdog99 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:15 pm

Nordic » 21 Jul 2015 20:05 wrote:Thanks. Just came here to post the same thing.

Would be NICE if the fine folks at, say, WIRED, would point out that this is precisely how Hastings was assassinated.

And perhaps 9/11, Wellstone, etc.?
stickdog99

Postby Forgetting2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:34 pm

Wired is an engine/attractor of the materialist; an American Dream Machine, which isn't at odds with the CIA.
You know what you finally say, what everybody finally says, no matter what? I'm hungry. I'm hungry, Rich. I'm fuckin' starved. -- Cutter's Way
Forgetting2

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion